• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: DX

I finally got a Switch + Pokémon Mystery Dungeon the other day. Although the story seems to be pretty much the same, there are quite a few differences and updates regarding gameplay and mechanics. The graphics are gorgeous, I love the art style they went for. I think it's definitely worth getting, even if you've played the original game.

What are the differences in gameplay mechanics?

What are the differences in gameplay mechanics?
Quite a lot of the in-dungeon stuff was changed after the Explorers games. You can now no longer use regular attacks (which makes it all a lot more challenging for me since I'm constantly running out of PP lol), plus you can also level up moves now and not only the Pokémon's level. "Regular" reviver seeds and max elixirs are rather rare now, most of the time you just get tiny reviver seeds (which only restore your HP, but not PP and stomach) and max ethers (which only restore one move's PP). You can now temporarily recruit members, which can be quite helpful for boss fights. Then, IQ abilities have been replaced with Rare Qualities. And I'm not entirely sure, but I think the stomach gets empty faster than before. And obviously, cross-gen evolutions (Weavile etc.), shinies, and Mega Evolution have been introduced.

So overall the game has become more challenging, I would say. The original Rescue Team games were quite easy, especially compared to the series' later entries, whereas DX tends to be somewhat tricky. I haven't finished it yet, but that's the things I've noticed so far.

How are the mega evolutions on this game? In mystery dungeon world , they prevented foes from attaking you, but you became out of control if you spent too much time mega evolved.

I finally got around to getting and finishing the main story of Rescue Team DX. I loved it so much. I felt right at home and pretty much remembered every bit of dialogue and plot point. The updated graphics and cutscenes are so nice. Battling against A.C.T. on Mt. Freeze was easily my favorite new cutscene. I loved actually seeing my team running up and attacking each member of A.C.T. The new art style fits the games perfectly.

I truly do think it was more difficult than the originals (probably since it uses a lot of mechanics from Super), and I had quite a few challenges. Molters I remember took me multiple tries, mainly since it could and would sit in one spot and tear us both down with Ember. I had to not only have my Charmander partner learn Scary Face to combat it's Agility, but also literally move us both to the sides so it couldn't hit us both at once. I do like that bosses remain huge and can be hit over a very large range, I would have struggled with many battles had they used the original size system. Being able to switch leaders was also a welcome upgrade. That ability saved me many times, but also led me to abstain from keeping apples on hand since I'd just switch leaders when my belly got too low. It worked for most dungeons, but it was easily the cause of 2 failed runs of Sky Tower (no joke, I would have easily made it to the top 1st try had I just brought some apples). Similarly, I love how because of this ( and I think this is my favorite change) the act of me or my partner fainting in a dungeon doesn't make us automatically lose and need to restart from the beginning, and that fainted members are automatically revived for boss fights. I think the increased difficulty balances these things out and it never made the game feel easier. Linked moves also were needed to save my team on many occasions, and I'm so glad the service is free now. I only wish I would have started using them sooner than I did (which was right around becoming fugitives). I'm also glad that running out of PP no longer unlinks moves.

I also enjoyed the revamped IQ skills (Rare Qualities), though as of yet I've not really done much with them. Each of my main Pokemon only had one, and I mainly made the most use of of Absol's Squeeze Out replenishing PP since we ran out so frequently. I don't like that you must be in a Friend Camp to use them, I know for a fact you could have used them anytime in the original. I also enjoy being able to "recruit" Pokemon to join you on a mission without officially recruiting them. Again, this helped me out many times, giving me more fighting power.

There were some changes I didn't really get, like Uproar Forest being shrunk down from 10 floors to now 4, but at the same time I found the boss battle to be way longer than it originally was so maybe it as a nice balance. I also was a bit confused by the name change of Frosty Grotto to Heart of the Frosty Forest. That kind of bummed me out since I always liked the name Frosty Grotto. But overall, I didn't really mind these changes. The major change I truly dislike are the Friend Camps. I just preferred actually going to Friend Areas, seeing all of the Pokemon I recruited living in their own little environments and the Camps are such a downgrade. I guess I can understand why the made the change (not wanting to model out all of those environments), but I still dislike it.

Overall, I loved Mystery Dungeon DX. I cannot wait to get to the post game, since I remember that being very fun as well.

When it comes to Pokémon Mystery Dungeon starters, I think I can be called a definite casual. I don't ever bother checking stuff like tier lists or ideal combinations. If I like a Pokémon or even just a technique they could potentially do, then I go for that.

This is another case. I want to start with a player Cyndaquil because it gives me the chance to play with Burn Up, the Fire move that removes a user's Fire typing, once I hit the required level. This would also be the third time I used Cyndaquil in my duo since it was my first partner in Blue RT and my player in Sky.
The partner? I practically decided on Machop at random, which works out perfectly since it was my first player in Blue RT. I'd be adding real nostalgia by using the very same duo I once did when that game brought me back to Pokémon. It'd all come full circle.

I came back to this game recently to do some of the postgame content. I finished the main story back in March, but I didn't do a lot of the postgame because Animal Crossing had just released and a lot of my focus went to that.

I think that is the big thing that hurt this game a bit. Everything else is a wonderful adaptation of the PMD formula to home console, especially the art style. 1mil copies is nothing to scoff at, but the fact that Animal Crossing released literally a week later set it up to fail.

I came back to this game recently to do some of the postgame content. I finished the main story back in March, but I didn't do a lot of the postgame because Animal Crossing had just released and a lot of my focus went to that.

I think that is the big thing that hurt this game a bit. Everything else is a wonderful adaptation of the PMD formula to home console, especially the art style. 1mil copies is nothing to scoff at, but the fact that Animal Crossing released literally a week later set it up to fail.
Agreed, I never quite understood why Nintendo released this and Animal Crossing literally without one week. Of course Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is never going to outsell the main series entries, but it certainly would've sold better if they'd given it some time to shine (either a few weeks earlier or a bit later).

Oh well. I just hope it at least sold well enough for them to release more Mystery Dungeon games. I'd happily but a remake of Explorers of Sky, and an all-new entry would be wonderful as well.

Agreed, I never quite understood why Nintendo released this and Animal Crossing literally without one week. Of course Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is never going to outsell the main series entries, but it certainly would've sold better if they'd given it some time to shine (either a few weeks earlier or a bit later).

Oh well. I just hope it at least sold well enough for them to release more Mystery Dungeon games. I'd happily but a remake of Explorers of Sky, and an all-new entry would be wonderful as well.
An Explorers DX would be higher on my wish list than a brand new game, tbh. But yeah, the game definitely did make more sense in February rather than March, the only thing they had in February was the Trials of Mana remake. But then again, we have to remember that Animal Crossing was delayed, so maybe that's what happened; had New Horizons released as planned, Mystery Dungeon would have been the only thing in March.

I've still been on the fence whether or not I should get this.

I've made decisions on potential player Pokemon and partner, however, what if I want my partner to go first for their speed and potential status movements like Pikachu paralyzing or Bulbasaur poisoning.

Then there's the issue of recruiting Pokemon. I know I need to purchase camps from Wigglytuff, but that only gives Pokemon in those camps a chance to recruit. Is there a way to minimize dungeon visits to get the crew I want?

That's not what I meant. I mean if there's a situation where its better for my partner to go first, is it possible?

And I saw videos that show the six main stats remain intact.
Weird... Unless they added it in XD since that's the one game in the series I haven't played yet. To make your partner go first just switch places with them. In case there's still a space in-between your partner and your opponent, just attack an empty space without moving. That will make the opponent move to that empty space and give you the first attack.

I've been trying to recruit a Pokemon, encountered them several times and bought their camp, but they don't come with me. Are there methods to improve my odds?

Are the more expensive camps for areas with stronger Pokemon?

I've been trying to recruit a Pokemon, encountered them several times and bought their camp, but they don't come with me. Are there methods to improve my odds?

Are the more expensive camps for areas with stronger Pokemon?
Well, there's the Friend Bow, which is in one of the 99 floor dungeons. Also recruitment rate goes up a little bit every ten levels (only applies to the leader), and I think rank affects it, too.

What Pokémon are you trying to recruit?

I recruited it earlier today (female Nidoran).

But I ran into another problem. I got my first game over in Oddity Cave and all my inventory items are gone. I have only myself to blame, I got greedy twice. I noticed it had the more Poke money icon and then tried to pick a fight with a quartet of Ledyba.

I don't know if I should start a new save file or roll with the punches.

I recruited it earlier today (female Nidoran).

But I ran into another problem. I got my first game over in Oddity Cave and all my inventory items are gone. I have only myself to blame, I got greedy twice. I noticed it had the more Poke money icon and then tried to pick a fight with a quartet of Ledyba.

I don't know if I should start a new save file or roll with the punches.
Roll with the punches, since you can get everything back.

That's a relief. Does it involve the Pelliper post office internet connection or passwords?
Well, I mean, you can find everything again in the dungeons. It might be a pain, I know, but no item is unique (at least in the originals), so you will get them again. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Also, re-rolling won't help much since Pokémon stats are more or less static there IIRC.

Any advice for avoiding battling enemy Pokemon? Sometimes, I don't want to battle and just reach the stairs or get items, but any non-leader Pokemon will get in a fight with an opponent.

Then there's batting in a corridor. Whichever Pokemon's in front may get in a deadlock with the opponent, I could probably switch, but there's the issue of not being able to with the opponent attacking between movement turns.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom