• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: DX

With everything going on I've barely had time to check up on this game. Hearing that DX is harder than BRRT has me terrified. The originals were already on the tougher side, especially later dungeons. If this is as hard as Super, oh boy this'll surely be an experience :LOL:
I didn't find the main story nearly as hard as Super myself. I wasn't popping Reviver Seeds like M&Ms, at least, and there isn't stuff like an early game subquest to fight a level 50+ Salamence.

I haven't plunged deep enough into the postgame yet to comment on that, though.

I have to ask if this is worth anything.

I've played a Mystery Dungeon game before and it didn't work out well. I couldn't get past the second mission (A Drowzee kidnapping an Azurill). All I remember is the Pokemon in that dungeon obliterated me.

I didn't find the main story nearly as hard as Super myself. I wasn't popping Reviver Seeds like M&Ms, at least, and there isn't stuff like an early game subquest to fight a level 50+ Salamence.

I haven't plunged deep enough into the postgame yet to comment on that, though.

Well, that's relieving to hear. :LOL:

I've played a Mystery Dungeon game before and it didn't work out well. I couldn't get past the second mission (A Drowzee kidnapping an Azurill). All I remember is the Pokemon in that dungeon obliterated me.
You should definitely give said Mystery Dungeon game another chance, it happens to be the best in the entire series.

I think you should have grinded a bit. Dungeons can be hard if you try them out as soon as they are available, and you should stock Reviver Seeds, too, if you keep having problems.

You should definitely give said Mystery Dungeon game another chance, it happens to be the best in the entire series.
Agreed.

That's Explorers of Time/Explorers of Darkness/Explorers of Sky. Probably the best one in the series and one of the best games in the entire Pokemon IP. It's a shame you didn't give it more of a chance, that mission is honestly pretty tough, but the game is so amazing that it's worth sticking with it. You should definitely track that game down if you get a chance, or wait until it's remade (at this point Rescue Team being remade opened the floodgates for people wanting Explorers remade as well and I think it's only a matter of time, say 3-5 years, before people start wanting Explorers remakes as badly as they want Sinnoh remakes now).

Yes, Super requires you to beat a level 50 Salamance in an early game sidequest. I played it, so I know.

But man, I DEFINITELY appreciate DX giving us Helper Orbs, especially since you can use those in boss battles! Call upon extra Pokemon to fight a powerful boss, and you won't get killed a million times! Seriously, these things are a Godsend.

Excuse me, but what? I have not played Super (yet), but are you serious?
When I got that early quest from an Axew asking me to fight a Salamence I assumed it would be some weak, underpowered one.

It was not.

That taught me that Super was no ordinary Pokémon game; it was Pokémon Vietnam where fighting fair is for suckers. I used Wands--I don't recall which type, either sleep or confusion--and pelted it with throwing weapons to bring him down.

Edit:
That's Explorers of Time/Explorers of Darkness/Explorers of Sky. Probably the best one in the series and one of the best games in the entire Pokemon IP. It's a shame you didn't give it more of a chance, that mission is honestly pretty tough, but the game is so amazing that it's worth sticking with it. You should definitely track that game down if you get a chance, or wait until it's remade (at this point Rescue Team being remade opened the floodgates for people wanting Explorers remade as well and I think it's only a matter of time, say 3-5 years, before people start wanting Explorers remakes as badly as they want Sinnoh remakes now).
It's on the Wii U Virtual Console so it's not too hard to find if you have one.

Yes, Super requires you to beat a level 50 Salamance in an early game sidequest. I played it, so I know.
What the hell?

When I got that early quest from an Axew asking me to fight a Salamence I assumed it would be some weak, underpowered one.

It was not.

That taught me that Super was no ordinary Pokémon game; it was Pokémon Vietnam where fighting fair is for suckers. I used Wands--I don't recall which type, either sleep or confusion--and pelted it with throwing weapons to bring him down.
Why did they decide to turn into a normal roguelike*?

*I'm not calling you or anyone a noob, I'm calling rogue-likes hellish and this is something I wouldn't find out of place in games like Azure Dreams.

What the hell?

Why did they decide to turn into a normal roguelike*?

*I'm not calling you or anyone a noob, I'm calling rogue-likes hellish and this is something I wouldn't find out of place in games like Azure Dreams.
I was surprised too, though you can smash the difficulty to splinters in the post-game with stat boosters. The main story was much harder than any other Pokémon game I'd played though, and caught me entirely off guard with a few crazy boss fights later on.

To be honest it was pretty exciting. In the mainline games I feel like I have to hold back a lot to keep them interesting (except for the post-game facilities, which have little in common with the main game) so having to do everything I could to even the odds was fun.

So I completed the main story last night and have thoroughly enjoyed the game (I think moreso than the original). I did a bit of grinding after too just to evolve my Starter and Partner, so I now have a Sceptile & Swampert :D

My main 3 through most of the story was Treecko, Mudkip & Heracross (Heracross was my golden boi, he has that special ability where multiple hit moves always hit and with fury attack and pin missile it was a Godsend for some bosses).

Tonight I will start going after legendaries to recruit but am dreading the dungeons with 99 floors lol. Any advice for grinding post game before hitting a hard dungeon?

Stock up on as many reviver seeds and helper orbs as you can. The latter in particular really helped me out in boss fights, so keep a few handy!

Thanks! I always try to take a lot of Reviver Seeds with me on longer missions but I can't believe I haven't heard of the Helper Orb until now, I just googled it and it says that another rescue team will come and help you?! That's awesome, is the rescue team that comes to help always random and are they from the home town or something? So like Alakazam's team will come and help?

So I completed the main story last night and have thoroughly enjoyed the game (I think moreso than the original). I did a bit of grinding after too just to evolve my Starter and Partner, so I now have a Sceptile & Swampert :D
Wait, how did you manage to beat the game before level 36? I had to grind to almost 40 to beat the original game.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom