• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: DX

I wasn’t expecting this at all, but what a nice surprise! The art style looks cute, even though I’m somewhat partial to sprites. I never played the originals but I’m going to consider picking this one up.

Per reddit, it appears that starters are no longer locked behind certain genders like they were in the originals:

It’s the same as usual, although you can choose the break the old gender-locks on certain species if you choose a species for yourself (i.e: can play male skitty, female machop)

Edit: While writing this comment, I was mashing through the quiz for another test run, picking all the top options. Despite the fact I selected a Male player, I got Hasty Eevee. Genderlocks have been removed, or at least for some species.

If they only add in a few gen 4+ 'mons, I'm going to guess that all statue Pokemon--Bonsly, Lucario (already confirmed) Mime Jr., Weavile--from the original will make it in.

Edit: And Munchlax.

It is interesting to note that all these Pokemon also debuted in Advanced Generation era Pokemon movies, the first 4 were in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and Munchlax was even earlier in Destiny Deoxys. All of them but Lucario appeared in Advanced Generation episodes too. Not to mention being main character partner Pokemon except Weavile.

That combined with their early game appearance would make them honorary Generation 3 Pokemon for sure.

Last edited:
I love how they're remaking these games while also adding in some upgraded features from later games. It's nice that you can play as any Pokemon regardless of being male or female. I like that if you don't like what you get from the test, you have the option to manually choose what you'd like to be instead. It's also great to be able to choose your partner's gender. But my favorite thing is that you can choose any Pokemon of the available to be your partner. I remember in the originals, you were limited to the starters and Pikachu as partners, while Eevee, Machop, Psyduck, Skitty, Meowth, and Cubone weren't available. Now it's finally possible to have one of those Pokemon as a partner! It's great.

Now the question is, do I want to relive my very first team of Squirtle and Charmander, now with better graphics and properly a spelled team name, or will I try a different team and use one of the previously unavailable Pokemon as a partner. Actually, if this'll be just like any other game and I can play it across multiple avatars, I'll probs just do my original team on my main avatar and use my second one to replay it multiple times. Regardless, I AM HYPED!

I think they've changed some of the results. In my Red Rescue Team let's play, I got Bulbasaur because it was the female calm starter. I got the same personality in the DX demo, but I got Charmander instead. I chose Machop as my partner because I wanted to be different. My original team was Pikachu and Squirtle.

I'm going with Mudkip as my starter (though I'll take the quiz first) because it's a PMD tradition for me, and possibly Cubone or Treecko as my partner.

I wonder if there will be some extra scenes like in Explorers of Sky. It would be interesting to know more about Gengar's backstory when he was still a human. Gates to Infinity made a big deal about the protagonist needing to go back to the human world and be with their family and friends. What about the PMD1 protagonist and Gengar? Don't they also have families? :unsure: It would also be nice to know what happened to Gardevoir after she lost her memories. Super seems to imply that she joined Team Charm eventually.

I found some sales figures for the series from a few sources, and I can say pretty confidently that at least over 5 million copies were sold for the Rescue Team titles, over 5 million copies sold for the Explorers titles, around 1 million copies sold for Gates to Infinity, and over 1 million copies sold for Super Mystery Dungeon.

So as many people probably already expected, this large drop off in the later titles is likely why the series went on hiatus for a few years, and why a remake was probably seen as a smart move too. Figure out the core of what people loved from the start and make a charming game that hopefully sells well, then add on to it in a sequel which could be brand new or another remake of the other well selling entry.

I found some sales figures for the series from a few sources, and I can say pretty confidently that at least over 5 million copies were sold for the Rescue Team titles, over 5 million copies sold for the Explorers titles, around 1 million copies sold for Gates to Infinity, and over 1 million copies sold for Super Mystery Dungeon.

So as many people probably already expected, this large drop off in the later titles is likely why the series went on hiatus for a few years, and why a remake was probably seen as a smart move too. Figure out the core of what people loved from the start and make a charming game that hopefully sells well, then add on to it in a sequel which could be brand new or another remake of the other well selling entry.
So, they are pulling a Crash?

I was expecting this remake for some time now, but not as our first MD entry for the Switch. I appreciate the idea as I didn't complete the original, but I'll wait before deciding if I buy it, as I'm afraid that it will be a 1-1 remake, that some cool mechanics from Super could be ignored and the graphics look weird.

I wonder if "DX" doesn't only stand for Deluxe but also for Dynamax...

Last edited:
I like the environmental graphics a lot personally. Gorgeously vivid colors and highly detailed too. These kind of dungeon crawlers always look so damn bland but here everything is well done. The Pokemon all have a similar filter to the environment put over them so I don't think there is a mismatch at all it looks natural to me

More importantly, I really don't want to see what another middleware attempt at "realistic" Pokemon 3d graphics would look like. It would be outdated the second it came out. This is much more timeless where you could play it many years from now and it would still have the same charm.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom