• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Legends Unraveled (Epilogue Posted, Story Concluded) (TEEN)

Hey there! Awards review here. Congratulations on second place in Drama! It was a hotly contested category, and you should absolutely be proud of that achievement. I jumped at the chance to read this because it's been around for a while and I always like reading stories start to finish. I don't normally do categories in my reviews, but this turned out to be a long one, so I thought it might help. Away we gooo!

Plot:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the plot is straight-up cliche, but a lot of the action/adventure genre standards are present here. Chosen one, prophecy, magical artifact, ravaged hometown, villain that wants to destroy the world... all that jazz. It's nothing brand new or super original, but something I noticed early on is that you seemed to have a pretty clear grasp of these tropes, why they worked well for so many stories before, and how to execute them. Originality is a great goal and generally preferable to the same ol' same ol', but I think a lot of people get too caught up in trying to be new and different. What you have here, on the other hand, is a relatively standard story that's just plain well paced and well structured. I can respect that, and I think writing a good story in that way is a skill that's underappreciated.

That said, there were a couple different things added to the story that unfortunately felt like they were meant to create tension or open up future plot points, but ended up getting in the way of the plot. The concept of the Deity Elect was key among these. When Matheus dies he'll become a legend! So the villains don't want to kill him! But actually if someone else kills him then he won't become a legend! But the villains don't know that! But it doesn't matter because some villains don't believe he's Deity Elect and are trying to kill him anyway! And in the end it was all basically just manufactured tension because Arceus exists as a thinking, feeling being, and can just resurrect people and turn them into legends whenever he wants. It felt a little too much like a plot mechanic that could be twisted into allowing any kind of shenanigans the story needed. A persistent deus ex machina, if you will. I suppose that's always going to be the case when one of your characters is a literal god. I might have changed it to something more vague, like Arceus promises Theus a "great gift" or something and then when he dies, Arceus just brings him back as a legend. The concept of resurrection being a possibility hurts the tension. Is it a cool idea? Sure! But when we know about it beforehand, it takes away from the drama.

Characters:

Pretty much every main character had some kind of clear arc, which is great. The one exception to this was Matheus. In short, he seemed like a character that has already seen all the development he's going to get. He didn't change much at all throughout the story, more ebbing and flowing as we learned more about his character. I'll go a bit more in depth on him since he was nominated for Best Protagonist. He actually got nominated for both Best Protagonist and Best Supporting, but that's not allowed so I kind of arbitrarily chose protagonist. Hope that's okay.

Let's start with development, since that's one of my main issues. I don't think slowly revealing a hidden past counts as development. He reminded me of Aragorn in the LotR novels (not the films). He started the story pretty much knowing what he needed to do, and then he did it (or at least tried to). The story had the occasional twist and turn, but none of them shook him up in any way. He wasn't changed by any character death or traumatic event. He just kept on keeping on. He's cool in that way, but it would have been more engaging if certain events changed his outlook some. That said, he has a long history that was planned out from his childhood through to his death, which helps a lot in making him a deeper and more believable character.

There is certainly variety to his character, which is a nice departure from the usual archetype based characters. Unfortunately this is mostly because he's just a couple different archetypes mixed into one. They don't exactly mix well either, which I'll elaborate on later.

He was, in some ways, quite original. Making the badass mentor character kind of a goofball had it's downsides, but it was at least a unique idea. Given that so much of the rest of the story relies on well executed cliches, Matheus stands out. The whole cloak and hat thing made him smell just a tad Sue-ish, but the rest of the story made up for that.

I should probably expand on that "downsides" comment. Humor is entirely subjective, so take this with a large grain of salt, but I just wasn't feeling it with him. A lot of the humor is slapstick/physical, which doesn't play as well with prose, and most of the rest of it involves his voracious appetite, which is enough of a cliche that it's almost not that amusing anymore. Don't get me wrong, I've used that trope before too. It's easy humor, but (and again, this is 100% subjective) it just doesn't work for me anymore. The worst part is that the clumsy glutton comic relief character doesn't leave a lot of room for the storied badass that this guy is supposed to be. How the Lucario who literally almost beat Arceus in a fight can keep absentmindedly falling off a raft is beyond me.

Moving on, when I think about his contribution to the story, I begin to think that I should have gone with judging him as a supporting character. He was a constant presence and a kickstarter to the plot. He helped, literally, change Laryon into the character he needed to be to beat the bad guy.

The main issue with the other characters in this fic is that I didn't feel much of a connection to any of them. By the end, the only character that I could think of as my favorite was a minor character who happened to fulfill an archetype I enjoy reading (Aram, the stoic badass with a heart of gold). The reason for this is that the personal stakes of the characters weakened after the first couple arcs. Originally, Laryon's goal of rescuing Azure and the other children from his village is a solid motivation to leave home, but then the story kind of derails into just being about stopping Arthus from destroying the world in general. Obviously, we know that's not going to happen, so we need something else to worry about. Killing off Wenstrel was a great way of showing that there was a very real chance that Azure or other characters might die, but by that point saving her had become disconnected from Laryon's goal. The emotional core of the story began to fall apart. At the end, it became about Matheus and Laryon's relationship, which was a great moment on its own. The way you described evolution through friendship was fantastic. I just found myself wishing a little more emphasis was put on their developing relationship throughout the story.

One random thought I had was that if the emotional core of the story was about Matheus dealing with his broken friendship with Arthus, it would be amazing. But Laryon being the hero of the story kind of got in the way of that.

Don't get me wrong. Writing big stories like this with a bunch of characters, alternating viewpoints, and a twisty plot is tough. You did a pretty damn good job of it as is.

Style/Writing:

Let's talk about worldbuilding. Coming up with an original region is an admirable pursuit. I've only played one Mystery Dungeon game, but this world seems very much in line with the series. It felt like a game world. However, that's not necessarily a good thing. This is a written story, not a video game. Worldbuilding-wise, video games don't need to make a lot of sense, since the rules are often stretched and distorted to accommodate gameplay. But, as they say, fiction needs to make even more sense than real life. Because of the video game-ness of the world, the story seemed kind of out of place in the setting. Not having quite enough environmental description for my taste did not help with that. You did a decent job justifying the game elements, but I still wasn't sold. It's like a lot of the items and things were in there just because this was a Mystery Dungeon fic, not because they're necessary to the plot.

I don't read a lot of MD fanfic, but I've gotten the impression that this is a staple. It is what it is, so again, take this feedback with a grain of salt. I suppose in fanfiction we all grow used to the idiosyncrasies of our fandoms, but I guess I'm just not that accustomed to Mystery Dungeon yet. Some of the justifications were clever, like civilized Pokemon receiving the blessings of the lake trio, making them superior to wild Pokemon. Others, like items being randomly generated in dungeons because that's just the way Arceus made it, were less satisfying.

There were some moments though, particularly the nomadic water-types and Deity Continent, that highlighted that you do have some good original ideas that really added to your world.

Getting a bit more technical, your writing style definitely improved over the course of the fic, and was decent overall. That said, there were some issues that held the story back a bit. Hammy dialogue during the most dramatic scenes hurt the emotional impact. I like cheesy one-liners as much as the next guy, but it really felt more like "this character needs to say this because that's what these kinds of characters say in situations like this" rather than natural, clever dialogue that reflects the characters and world (which you did just fine in other places). Arthus's very evil-villainy dialogue during the final confrontation was probably the worst offender here. But then, he was going crazy, so maybe that's justified.

I also caught more than a few typos and grammar or punctuation issues. Unfortunately I didn't write any of them down. Sorry about that :p I'll give my usual advice of reading your chapter out loud, making sure to be deliberate in pacing your voice with how the words/sentences flow (pausing on commas and all that). I'm not saying you have to stand in public and talk to your computer, just whispering it under your breath is enough. I've always found that helps me catch most of my errors. A few will always slip through, though, and that's when a beta reader comes in handy.

Final thoughts:

In conclusion, this is a solid story that makes me curious to see others' takes on the Mystery Dungeon universe. It tells a simple story in an effective manner. Although the middle chapters were a bit of a slog, by the end, I was really glad I read it.

As far as general constructive criticism goes, all I can say is to keep at it. And remember to read! Not just other fanfiction, but published stuff as well. Analyze it, think about, ask what makes it good. What makes it memorable? What makes it emotional? What makes it intense? You seem to have a solid grasp on a lot of these concepts already, even if it's just an intuitive thing and not purposeful, but there's always room for improvement.

I apologize if this review seems to be more focused on the negatives than the positives. You got a lot of stuff right in this story, which kind of upgrades you to a different kind of critique for me, which tends to sound critical. I couldn't criticize emotional stakes of characters if you weren't already writing a decent plot and characters in the first place. I always struggle with adapting awards judging. I could have rewritten this into something more concise and fitting to my regular review style, but I figured after all your hard work finishing this story, you deserved a nice long review. Good job on that, by the way. It looks like you stuck to a consistent upload schedule over a relatively long period, which is tough to do. Especially without getting much in the way of feedback :/ I'm glad you kept at it, though. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck in your future writing, and congratulations again!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your review, AetherX, and I do agree on pretty much all your points. I feel like the main thing that really bogged this story down was my lack of planning. The plot points with things like Deity Elect and Azure were good ideas, I just didn't execute them very well. For the pacing of the middle chapters, I just didn't balance it very well, when planning the chapters could have resolved that. For characters, I wanted to have someone unique like Theus, but I can see that a great warrior/teacher and a goofball don't always make the most sense together. Either way, I know I can do a better job, and I plan to. Sometime in the future, I will get around to rewriting PMDLU, and PMDFI, and the last story that I have in mind for this world. This story will need the most work, due to its unplanned nature, but I think I will enjoy the challenge, the day I decide to.

One final thing, writing without consistent reviews is difficult. Without reviews, you can't really pinpoint the mistakes while the plot is still in its infancy, or the characters for that matter. Hopefulle we can see a day where reviews are shared for all stories, not just a few. I need to get around to reviewing more myself, but being one of the few users that actually updates a story twice a week makes that somewhat difficult. Good luck with your writing! :)

I recall seeing this story bounce around the boards a while back. I ended up not checking it out several times, making little excuses in my head for myself. "It's another PMD fic, those are always awkward" "With a name like that, he's probably just a swooning Lucario fanboy" "I don't have time to catch up with this, I've only got limited time and there's other stories I need to check out".

Back before I began regular shipboard work, when I had quite a bit more time most of the time, I went out of my way to check out the lesser-read/reviewed pieces on these boards, and give my piece about them. I'm sorry to say that most of those have faded away as their writers became less active. Point being, this is exactly the kind of story I used to set time aside to check out. Time constraints and mental exhaustion/fatigue had jaded and skewed my view of things, and in subtle ways that I didn't even notice until now with the benefit of retrospect.

I admit that I really only read this story now because it cropped up in this batch of awards, and I wanted to see for myself the source of the accolades you've been nominated for/received; that, and I wanted to be on firm footing when I went into your new work. Having gotten through all of this now, I am honestly ashamed that I waited this long to check it out, my jaded excuses and employment circumstances be damned.

My shame continues as I think about specific things to say about the story itself. AetherX however, with his excellent review before me, seems to have taken most of the words right off my keyboard. Literally most of my gripes, quibbles and critiques would merely be a reiteration of AetherX. I do have other thoughts of my own though.

All through this story, alt least until the last few chapters I think, I felt like it had a very similar feel to Redwall series novels. A major threat rolls in with a cunning clever antagonist at its head. The hero rushes out and goes on a long colorful journey to get ready for the threat, meeting helpful companions along the way. Many asides to the antagonist's own struggles, practically making an arc of its own. By the end of it the villain has had a mental breakdown of sorts, and the hero is free to vanquish him. Redwall series novels, it should be noted, are also remarkably non-squeamish when it comes to death and violence, as this story is. There's even parallels with intelligent/non-intelligent creatures.

Similarly to the Redwall comparison, and like AetherX has mentioned before, the story arc itself is fairly straightforward and standard, but that's not +/- in its favor, it simply is. Though I again would reiterate AetherX's thoughts, from a big-picture plot-arc perspective, I kind of feel like the fortress arc of the story got a bit stranded on its own, as it never hooked back into the journey/adventure arc. It feels a bit unfulfilled when as the story draws to a close, we don't get to see Weavile/Sneasel reunite, or Azure/Layron and that reunion. Granted, I'm guessing the time-skip epilogue is supposed to imply these things, but as a reader I feel like I missed out on seeing all this get wrapped up. Why can't we see Layron, upon going to the fortress, decide to build the guild up again, as opposed to time-skipping forward passed all that. Bit of a gripe, nitpick really, but more of what I would consider 'missed opportunity' than a major flaw of the story.

OVerall though, this is actually remarkably solid for someone's very first writing.

One final thing, writing without consistent reviews is difficult. Without reviews, you can't really pinpoint the mistakes while the plot is still in its infancy, or the characters for that matter. Hopefulle we can see a day where reviews are shared for all stories, not just a few. I need to get around to reviewing more myself, but being one of the few users that actually updates a story twice a week makes that somewhat difficult. Good luck with your writing! :)

On this point, I think I'm safe in saying that one of the most reliable ways to get readers/reviewers is to leave reviews of your own. It doesn't have to be super in-depth technical literary analysis either (that may come later with practice), so there's really. Once a review or a few are out, it's there for people to see, and they may be curious about work you've put on the boards. It's part of the reason the Review Game was started. Not only that, but reading exposes you to a variety of styles, some of which you'll like, others that may be a bit harder to chew on. In any case, you'll see what's out there, and may find things you can borrow or emulate for your own work.

I think I'm going to cut it short here. I'll be catching up with your more up-to-date work soon. Look for that sometime in the next few days.

@chaos_Leader
I actually really enjoy the Redwall series; I have them all here at home! It's part of what inspired me to begin writing stories, along with several other factors. I'm pretty glad that there's that sort of comparison, but I will definitely try to work out what errors are there.

On another note, this technically isn't my first writing. It's my first Pokemon fanfiction yes, but not the first in general. A few years ago, I made two stories called The Magical Resistance and The War of the Logi and Magi, both of which were fairly popular in their heyday. Both need some serious work though, so for a long time I tried to make a rewrite of the world, but none of them came to fruition. I'm starting work on a new one, one that I have faith in, and will get to work on it after the final story in the Equivos region, after PMDFI.

On the reviews...yeah, I want to get around to it. I'm planning on doing reviews every Saturday for half-an-hour to an hour, ostly for the review league; I would like a fancy banner, you know? Anyways, hope to catch you later around the forums! :)

Awards review here also, not nearly on the same level as Aether though. Apologies for relayed response.

I'll start this off by saying I have never played a mystery dungeon game, and know almost nothing about mechanics. But, if this in the mechanics way is true, it really does make me want to go out and get one.
The plot is definitely full of cliches, you have the mysterious stranger, who happens to be related, come to the young child and right as he comes evil attacks and kills everyone except the two of them(close enough) and now they train and fight the evil team. Whoever, despite it being standard, it was well done. You definitely managed to get the suspense part down. Normally I'm good at picking up on things, but I definitively did not see quite a few things coming. I had to pause a few times, like when Wenstrel died and just ask "what just happened." Like I mentioned earlier, I thought the setting was good. You managed to describe the world well, with this being a new world I was able to really envision it rather than being more abstract, especially Deity. Your characters, I really did like all of them. I was definitely sad when just about anyone died. I will say, I know you tried to catch all of them but I saw at least one mention of Dente in an earlier chapter, was confusing for a bit, but I then saw your comment about it and it made sense. I think one more read through might have been good, or have a proof reader because there were definitely spelling errors throughout.

Again sorry this doesn't go into nearly as much depth as Aether did, I'm not great at long reviews. But I truly enjoyed the story, despite it being long I think it hooked me enough that I finished it within two days. So well done and congrats on second place!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom