• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Performers of Harmony

Act 20: The Hero of Three Colors (part 4)

Later, Shaymin and the forest Pokemon watched as a Luxray playing the role of the king announced "Be it known that whoever can find the three knights that have captured the realm's imagination and bring them here will be handsomely rewarded with them!"

As the Luxray turned away from the balcony, Lita hurried into the hallway set. "Father, please! I love Tristan more than I ever would love his master!" she pleaded.

"He is the son of the richest ruler in the world." the Luxray replied. "It will be a fine match, and I do not wish to be disappointed."

Lita trudged away over a sad theme from the orchestra and the lights went down. "And so, the wedding of Princess Lilly and the servant went on as planned." Brenna narrated. "But just as the priestess asked if there were any objections to the union, something amazing happened..."

The forest Pokemon gasped in awe over the majestic shrine set, where a crowd of extras watched as Lita and the Litten stood before a Sylveon. "If there is any reason these two should not enter into the holy union of marriage, may they speak now, or forever hold their peace." the Sylveon told the gathered crowd.

Just then, three voices called "WE OBJECT!!!!" from offstage, causing the crowd to murmur in confusion.

Ruby, Rio, and the Treecko arrived in the scene moments later, each of them wearing their versions of the colorful armor from before. They hurried past the Litten and bowed low before Lita.

"Why do you not honor my son-in-law?" the Luxray asked, gesturing to the Litten.

"Alas! your majesty, we do not see him." the Treecko replied.

At that moment, Charlotte entered the scene; now wearing a black velvet costume and a matching hat covered with black plumes." She gasped as Ruby and Rio led her before the Luxray. "What in the..." she stammered as Ruby, Rio, and the Treecko knelt before her.

"Here is the true Prince Rowan!" Ruby made a grand gesture to Charlotte, making her black costume become her royal outfit from before.

"He is the bravest fighter and the most merciful person in the world." Rio explained. "It was he who borrowed our armor and overthrew the warriors that took part in the tournament."

"So, the three heroes were one and the same?" the Luxray asked.

"Yet he was kind and merciful to his treacherous servant, who you have compelled your daughter to marry!" the Treecko announced, causing the crowd of extras to gasp in horror.

The Litten burst into feigned tears. "I confess! I confess! I robbed Prince Rowan of his rights and compelled him to take a sacred vow never to tell! Please...have mercy on me!"

The Luxray thought for a moment. "Guards! Take this deceiver and fraud to the dungeon! No one steals anyone's identity in my realm!"

As the Litten was led away, Ruby, Rio, and the Treecko looked at each other, nodded, then each sang three gibberish melodies:

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo...

Karuto, iichiida shou...

"WOW!!!" Shaymin was the most impressed by the ornate angel costumes that Ruby, Rio, and the Treecko now wore.

"I don't believe it..." Charlotte was equally amazed. "The knights I freed from the dungeon in my father's palace were not knights, but three angels from heaven!"

She hurried to hug Ruby. "Thank you..."

"It's like we said before...no good deed goes unrewarded." Rio smiled as he embraced Charlotte.

"Just as you helped us in our hour of need, we helped you in return." the Treecko agreed as she hugged Charlotte. "Now, go meet your rightful bride."

The Luxray smiled as Charlotte and Lita met each other. "It seems that Arceus wanted the two of you to be together." he smiled. "You have my heartiest blessings for a long and happy marriage."

"By the power vested within me, and before these witnesses, and especially these divine messengers..." the Sylveon smiled as she nodded at Ruby, Rio, and the Treecko. "I hereby pronounce Prince Rowan and Princess Lilly husband and wife."

Cheers went up as the lights went down, save for Brenna in her nook. "And so it was that a simple act of kindness led a prince to his destiny." Brenna concluded. "The wedding festivities lasted six months in all, with every day being better than the one before."

Shaymin's applause was the loudest as the lights came up for the curtain call. "Bravo! That was an amazing tale!" she raved as one by one, each of the Moonlight Players took a bow.

But just as Charlotte and Lita took their bow, a bright ray of sunlight shone down into the clearing, startling the troupe of actors and the forest Pokemon. "No way..." Charlotte gasped when she saw a familiar white kirin like Pokemon step onto a cloud to look down on the grove.

"Arceus was watching our show???" Lita was just as amazed as all the Pokemon present, including Shaymin, bowed before the beautiful kirin Pokemon.

Arceus chuckled--a gentle laugh that made everything else want to laugh with him. Yes...I was indeed watching your performance from my heavenly abode...it had just the right amount of excitement, romance, and heart.

"Did we at least get the angel costumes to look right, milord?" Ruby asked, still shocked that the Creator of All Things had come to comment on their show.

They look beautiful--appearances need not be the most flashiest or ornate. Arceus assured Ruby. Your performances are the same way--the most mistake filled performance can be beautiful if you put your hearts into it.

He turned business-like again. But back to why I have come to you...millions of theater troupes perform across this world every year, but only a select few earn the right to perform before Me in the divine realm. I believe you may have the potential to give me such a show.

"But what about our journey to Luminous City and the Beacon Theater?" Lita asked. "And how do we know if we are worthy to perform before You, the Creator of All Things?"

Shaymin looked up at Arceus. "Permission to bestow a reward on this troupe for a fine show?"

Permission heartily granted. Arceus smiled.

Shaymin manifested an emerald before the group. "As thanks for giving us a wonderful show, I give you the Emerald of Luck, a Divine Treasure. Your plays will very rarely fail, and even the box office bombs will benefit you."

As you journey across the world to Luminous City, don't forget to perform for the Legendaries as well. Arceus explained. If you put on a play that pleases them, they will grant you a Divine Treasure. Reach Luminous City with enough Divine Treasures, and I will allow you to come to the divine realm, and perform for Me and the other Legendaries.

"Leave it to us, milord!" Ruby smiled. Charlotte nodded in agreement.

"We will do everything we can to please the Legendaries, and perform before You!" Lita agreed.

In the meantime, continue honing and practicing your art. Arceus replied. I too look forward to the day you come to the divine realm...as masters and mistresses of the stage!

To Be Continued...

Act 21: A Show in Silver (part 1)

"I can't believe it! Arceus was watching us perform for Shaymin!" Lita gasped, skipping down the road ahead of the caravan of wagons.

"Now we really have to make it to Luminous City." Ruby agreed. "So we can come to the divine realm."

"What kind of show would the Creator of all Things like?" Charlotte wondered as the caravan approached the top of the hill. Silver Town was off in the distance--a shiny beacon of civilization for travelers to rest after their trek through Jade Forest.

"We'll have plenty of time to worry about that as we travel across the continent." Lita smiled. "For now, let's focus on our performance in Silver Town."

She motioned for her friends to follow her. "Last one there's a rotten Exeggcute!"

"Hey, wait for us!" Ruby, Charlotte, and the caravan were not far behind as the the shining gray rooftops of Silver Town came into view...

---------

The Diamond Theater rang with applause as Shimmer departed the stage. Brenna appeared in a spotlight at stage right. "There was once a king and queen, who had three daughters." she began over the orchestra's overture. "The two eldest were twins—Homura and Sora—and their parents loved them dearly. They were beautiful and intelligent to be sure, but they were not very good in heart. The third princess was named Kiiro, and was three years younger than her sisters. She was beautiful, wise, and as kind as she was beautiful."

Intrigued murmurs filled the theater as Brenna continued over the orchestra "The light fairy Hikari was Kiiro's godmother, and this made her two sisters, Homura and Sora, very jealous. Some days after Kiiro was born, the king and queen sent her to the country, on a farm, to be nursed. Kiiro lived there happily for fifteen years without her parents coming, not even once, to see her. Every year they sent a little money to the farmer to pay for Kiiro's expenses, and asked some questions pertaining to her health and well-being, but they never came to see her nor cared about her education."

The murmurs in the audience started to turn angry, but Brenna assured the audience "Kiiro would indeed have been very rude and ignorant if her good godmother, the fairy Hikari, had not sent her teachers to teach her everything a princess needed to know. Kiiro learned to read, write, do math and build things. She also became an accomplished musician, knew how to draw, and spoke several languages. In fact, some said Kiiro was the most beautiful, attractive, friendly, and excellent princess in the world. She had never disobeyed her nurse or godmother, and therefore never needed to be disciplined. She did not regret her father and mother, as she did not know them, and she did not desire any other home than the farm where she had been so happy."

She intoned as the long overture finished "It is there that our story begins..."

The lights came up on Lita, in the role of Kiiro, sitting on a bench before the door of a farmhouse set, reading a novel. After a few tense moments, a Treecko in a laced hat and coat approached her. "Pardon me, good lady, but may I speak to the princess Kiiro?"

Lita looked up from the book. "I am her, and she is me."

"Then, princess, be graciously pleased to receive this letter, which the king your father has charged me to deliver to you." the Treecko replied as he handed Lita a fancy prop envelope.

Lita took the letter, carefully opened it, and read "Dearest Kiiro: Your sisters are now eighteen years old and it is time they were married. I have invited princes and princesses from all the kingdoms of the world to come join us for a festival, which I intend to give in order to choose husbands for Homura and Sora. You are now fifteen years old and can properly appear at this festival. You may come and spend three days with me. I will send for you in eight days. I cannot send you any money for your room as I have spent plenty for your sisters; besides, no one will look at you. Come, therefore, in any clothes you wish. Regards, The King Your Father."

After folding up the prop paper, Lita hurried into the house, where Charlotte, as the nurse, was tidying the kitchen area of the set. "I've received a letter from the castle--the king wishes me present at a great festival." she explained as she set the letter on the table.

"Do you wish to go to this festival?" Charlotte asked as she set down before Lita at the table.

Lita nodded. "Yes, my good nurse, I am delighted and honored to be invited. I will enjoy myself and get to know my father, mother and my sisters, and then I will return to you."

"But what will you wear?" Charlotte asked.

"The beautiful robe of white satin that I always wear on holidays and festival days." Lita smiled.

"That robe is suitable for the country, but would appear miserably plain at a party of kings and princes." Charlotte mused.

"Why does it matter? My father himself has said that no one will look at me. This thought will make me much more at ease. I will see all and no one will see me." Lita assured Charlotte.

The lights blinked over to Brenna as Charlotte pantomimed sewing and ironing a white gown. "The nurse sighed, but started to mend, whiten and smooth Kiiro's white robe. The day before the king was to send for her, the nurse called her and said..."

"Here is your dress for the royal festival." Charlotte began as she delivered the gown to Lita. "Be very careful with it, as I will not be there to whiten and smooth it for you."

"Thank you so much." Lita smiled as she watched Charlotte pack the satin robe and white skirt, a pair of cotton stockings, black shoes, and a little bouquet of flowers as a hair accessory.

Moments before Charlotte closed the trunk, a light appeared in the window as the harpist started a familiar melody, revealing a Dedenne in a sparkly yellow fairy's costume. "Hikari!" Charlotte gasped.

"You are going, then, to your father's court?" the Dedenne asked Lita.

"Yes, Hikari, but only for three days." Lita replied.

"But what dress have you prepared for those three days?" the Dedenne asked

"Look here!" Lita proudly showed the Dedenne the white gown.

The Dedenne "flew" down to the gown. and laid her paws on it. "I wish that my dear Kiiro will create a sensation with her dress. This is unworthy of her."

With that, she sang Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... making the gown and its accessories seemly transform into junk.

Laughter went up at Lita's and Charlotte's shocked reactions. "In this manner do I wish my Kiiro to appear. You must dress yourself in all this, and to complete your ensemble, here is a necklace of nuts, a hairband of burrs, and bracelets of dried beans."

More laughter went up as the Dedenne gave the confused Lita a hug, and disappeared in a flash of light and a harp flourish. "Alas! it was not worth my while to go to all the trouble of preparing this poor robe." Charlotte cried through feigned tears. "Oh, my poor Kiiro! Don't go to this festival. Say you're sick, or something!"

Giggles went up at Charlotte's melodramatic pose. "No, that would displease my godmother Hikari." Lita replied. "I am sure that she knows what is best for me, as she is much wiser than I am. I will go and I will wear all that my godmother has brought me."

The lights went down as Brenna continued "Kiiro had hardly arranged her hair and dressed herself the next morning when Hikari's coach came for her. She embraced her nurse, took her little trunk and departed..."

To Be Continued...

Act 22: A Show in Silver (part 2)

As the orchestra concluded a traveling interlude, Brenna narrated from her nook "It only took them two hours to get there, since the royal city was only thirty miles away from the farm. When Kiiro arrived, she was surprised to see that she had to descend in a tiny dirty courtyard, where a page attended her."

Nervous laughter filled the air as the lights came up on a dingy out of the way corner of a castle. More nervous laughter went up as Lita winced at the imagined dust on the ground. "Come, princess, I am instructed to show you to your chamber." a Riolu playing a page smiled as he arrived to meet Lita.

"Can I not see the queen my mother?" Lita asked as she brushed the imagined dust from her costume.

"In a few hours, princess--when they are assembled for dinner, you will see her." the Riolu assured Lita. "In the meantime you can get ready."

The lights went down, save for a spotlight on Brenna. "Kiiro followed the page, who led her through a long corridor with a narrow staircase at the end of it. She climbed, slowly, and after what felt like an eternity, arrived at another corridor where she entered the chamber reserved for her--in one of the servants' rooms."

Giggles went up as the lights came up on Lita and the Riolu arriving in a simply furnished servants' quarters. "A thousand pardons, princess, for having led you into this chamber, so unworthy of you." the Riolu begged as he set the prop truck in a corner. "The queen has reserved all the other apartments for her guests, the kings, queens, princes and princesses. There was no other room vacant and--!"

"I do not blame you. Besides, this is comfortable enough." Lita assured the Riolu.

"I will come for you, princess, to lead you to Their Majesties at the proper time." the Riolu replied as he started for stage left.

"I will be ready." Lita called back.

Once the Riolu had left, she retrieved the prop trunk and set it on the bed with a sigh.

"Kiiro took out her robe of coarse cloth and the other pieces of her outfit." Brenna narrated from her nook, hiding Lita changing costumes. "But imagine her amazement when she saw that it was made of gold brocade, embroidered with rubies that glowed like little flames. Her shoes were now white satin, adorned with ruby buckles; her stockings were of silk and as fine as a Spinarak's web; her necklace was of rubies surrounded with large sapphires, emeralds, and diamonds; her bracelets of diamonds and pearls."

'Wow's and applause filled the theater as the lights came up on Lita in the outfit Brenna described. "Kiiro ran to the mirror and saw that the Pidgey feather had become a magnificent locket, and the pendant was a ruby of such beauty and brilliancy that a fairy or deity alone could possess it." Brenna continued, trying oh-so-hard not to laugh at Lita's reaction of feigned shock.

"Oh, wow! Wow, wow wow!" Lita cried as she danced around the set in the new costume. "Thank you, Lady of Light, for rewarding my faithfulness to you!"

A knock from offstage startled Lita. "Come in?" she asked.

The Riolu balked when he saw Lita's new costume. "Oh, Arceus in heaven; that looks beautiful! I know not where you acquired that outfit, but it is worthy for a princess like you."

He composed himself, and offered a paw to Lita. "Come...Their Majesties await."

The orchestra started a majestic interlude before the lights went down. When they came up again, Lita and the Riolu arrived on a set of an elegant ballroom, filled with extras playing kings, queens and nobles. A pair of Raichus and two more Pikachu in elegant royal garb watched them approach from stage left.

The Riolu made a grand gesture to the Raichus. "Princess, behold the queen your mother and the king!"

There was an awkward silence before the male Raichu spoke. "Madam, be graciously pleased to tell me your name. You are no doubt some great queen or still greater deity whose unexpected presence is an honor and a happiness for us."

"Sire, I am neither a great queen nor a powerful deity, but your daughter Kiiro, for whom you were kind enough to send." Lita replied.

"Kiiro! Kiiro clothed more magnificently than I have ever been! Who, then, miss, has given you all these beautiful things?" the female Raichu asked.

"My godmother, madam." Lita replied. "Graciously permit me to kiss your hand and present me to my sisters."

The female Raichu nodded, and gestured to the other Pikachus. "There are your sisters."

Laughter filled the air as the red clad Pikachu and the blue clad Pikachu reared back from Lita's attempted embrace. "Don't come any closer, I just had my makeup done!" the red clad Pikachu protested.

"What if you have some disease, or something?" the blue clad Pikachu protested. "Arceus forbid I spend the whole festival sick in bed because of you!"

A crowd of extras approached Lita as she trudged away from the throne area. "Don't mind them, milady--they're far too concerned about their looks than the true treasure." a Grovyle extra assured her.

The extras and Lita pantomimed talking, feigned amazement, and laughing as Brenna narrated "As Kiiro conversed with the guests and spoke several languages upon request, she charmed all those who approached her. Homura and Sora were beyond jealous. The king and queen were furious that Kiiro absorbed all the attention and no one paid any attention to the sisters."

The orchestra started another song as the lights went down, revealing a majestic royal dining room set. The red clad Pikachu was pantomime playing a prop harp near stage left, pantomiming singing with the blue clad Pikachu along with the orchestra.

It was only when the orchestra finished playing did the red and blue clad Pikachus actually sing. All at once, everything looks different, now that I see you...

The gathered extras and Lita politely applauded the imagined song's end. "Thank you..." the blue clad Pikachu smiled as she took a bow.

"Now that we've sang, it's our little sister's turn." the red clad Pikachu began as she got up from the prop harp.

"What?" Lita gasped. "I-I'm sorry, but I don't really have anything prepared to perform...perhaps I can sing tomorrow night, when I have had time to rehearse?"

"No!" the blue clad Pikachu snapped back.

"You're just saying that because you probably sound awful!" the red clad Pikachu agreed as both of them approached Lita.

"I'm speaking the truth--I don't have anything prepared!" Lita pleaded.

"Kiiro, I command you to sing!" the female Raichu demanded. "NOW!!!"

Lita sighed as she got up from the table, and walked out onto center stage. "Very well, Your Majesty. I will apologize in advance for any mistakes."

With that, the orchestra's harpist started the introduction to a lighthearted love song. Oh, the summertime has come... Lita sang over the harp.
And the leaves are sweetly blooming,
And the wild mountain thyme
Grows around the blooming heather....

Will ye go, laddie, go?
And we'll all go together,
To pull wild mountain thyme
All around the blooming heather....
Will ye go, laddie, go?

I will build my love a bower
By yon crystal fountain...
And on it I will pile
All the flowers of the mountain...

Will ye go, laddie, go?
Will ye go, laddie, go?

If my true love, he were gone...
I would surely find another,
Where wild mountain thyme
Grows around the blooming heather...

Will ye go, laddie, go?
Will ye go, laddie, go?

A tin whistle joined in with the harp and some of the strings as Lita swayed and danced to the song. Even Brenna couldn't help smiling. Maybe we are in fact ready for a musical...

Oh, the summertime has come....
Lita sang again.
And the leaves are sweetly blooming,
And the wild mountain thyme
Grows around the blooming heather....

Will ye go, laddie, go?
Will ye go, laddie, go?

Will ye go, laddie, go?

The extras and the audience roared with applause as the song ended and Lita took a bow. Just then, a Luxio in royal garb approached Lita. "Princess, I have never heard so beautiful a voice." he began. "May I have the honor of hearing you again?"

Lita looked around. "Forgive me milord, but it has been a long day, and I am tired."

The Luxio nodded. "All right...at least allow me to escort you back to your room, and see that you are comfortable for the night..."

"Please do." Lita replied as the lights went down...

To Be Continued...

Act 23: A Show in Silver (part 3)

The orchestra started an ominous melody. "While Kiiro was only occupied with happy thoughts, the king, the queen, and the princesses Homura and Sora were choking with rage." Brenna explained from her nook. "They had all assembled in the queen's apartment."

The lights came up on a beautiful set of a royal apartment. "This is too horrible...why did you send for this Kiiro, who has such dazzling jewels and makes herself admired and sought after by all these kings and princes?" the blue clad Pikachu complained as the Raichus and the Pikachus playing the royal family arrived. "Was it to humiliate us, my father, that you called us to the court at this time?"

"I swear to you, my beautiful darlings, that it was by the order of the fairy Hikari I was compelled to write for her to come." the male Raichu replied. "Besides, I did not know that she was so beautiful and that--!"

"So beautiful! Where do you find her so beautiful?" the red clad Pikachu snapped. "She is indeed ugly and coarse. It is her magnificent attire alone which makes her admired. Why have you not given to us your most superb jewels and your richest robes? We have the air of farm girls by the side of this proud princess."

"Where could I possibly have found jewels as magnificent as hers?" the male Raichu protested. "I have none which would compare with them. It is her godmother, the fairy Hikari, who lent her these jewels."

"Why, then, did you summon a fairy to be the godmother of Kiiro, when you gave to us only queens for our godmothers?" the blue clad Pikachu complained.

"It was not your father who called her--the fairy Hikari herself, by her own choice, appeared to us and told us that she would be Kiiro's godmother." the female Raichu explained.

"It is not worthwhile to spend time complaining and arguing--what's done is done." the male Raichu sighed. "It is better to find some means of getting rid of Kiiro and preventing Prince Mamoru from seeing her again."

"Nothing more easy than that." the female Raichu sneered. "I will have her deprived tomorrow of her rare jewels and her beautiful robes. I will order my servants to grab her and carry her back to the farm which she shall never leave again."

The Pikachus and the Raichus did not expect the Dedenne to appear in the scene with a flash! "If you dare touch Kiiro, if you do not keep her at the palace, if she is not present at all the parties, you will feel the terrible effects of my anger." she warned.

She scolded "You unworthy king and you heartless queen, you will be changed into Froagies and you, odious daughters and sisters, will become Sevipers. Are you still worthy to harm Kiiro now?"

With that, she vanished, leaving the Raichus and Pikachus gawking in awe and fear as the lights went down.

---------

The orchestra's song turned happier as the lights came up on the small room where Lita lay, "asleep". A soft knock startled her. "Who is it?" she asked as she climbed from the bed.

"I come to bring you breakfast." an offstage voice replied.

"Come in." Lita replied, prompting a Minccino to arrive with a plate of prop food.

"Here you are--just leave the plate outside when you finish." the Minccino smiled as she set the plate of prop food on a small table. "Do you need assistance getting dressed?"

"No thank you--I can dress myself." Lita replied.

"Very well." the Minccino replied with a little bow before departing.

Lita noticed a new note on the trunk, so she took it. "Here are your things, Kiiro. Dress yourself as you were yesterday, in the clothing you brought from the farm." she read as the lights went down.

"When she saw her own reflection in the mirror she was amazed." Brenna narrated from her nook. "She was dressed in the richest riding suit of sky blue velvet and pearl buttons as large as walnuts, at least. Her stockings were bordered with a wreath of pearls; her headdress was a cap of sky blue velvet with a long plume of dazzling white, which floated down to her waist and was attached by a single pearl of unparalleled beauty and splendor. The boots were also of blue velvet embroidered in gold, diamonds, and pearls. Her bracelets and necklace also were of pearls, so large and so pure that a single one would have paid for the palace, and then some."

Cheers came up with the lights revealed Lita in the costume Brenna described. "Come--their Majesties await." the Riolu page smiled as he met Lita in the room.

"Kiiro, do not mount any other Ponyta than the one Prince Mamoru will present you." the Dedenne whispered from offstage.

Lita just smiled as she followed the Riolu offstage. "Thanks, Hikari..."

---------

The lights came up on the ballroom again, spurring extras to balk and crowd around Lita. "The page conducted her, as the day before, into the royal salon, where her appearance produced a greater effect than before. Her fine, sweet countenance, her splendid figure, her magnificent dress, allured all eyes and captivated all hearts." Brenna narrated.

"Prince Mamoru of Violight!" a herald announced as the Luxio met Lita at center stage.

"Good morning, princess." the Luxio smiled with a bow. "Permission to be your companion during the midday hunt?"

"It will be a great pleasure to me." Lita smiled. "Permission heartily granted."

"It seems to me, that I am your brother, so great is the love I feel for you." the Luxio smiled. "Allow me to remain by your side and to defend you against all enemies."

"It will be an honor and a pleasure for me to be protected by a king so worthy of the name he bears." Lita smiled as the orchestra started an interlude

The lights came up on a stable set, where an Emolga page met Lita and the Luxio. A Ponyta puppet "danced" at stage right, despite being "restrained" by a few extras.

The Luxio noticed Lita's unease. "Bring another Ponyta for the princess."

The king and the queen gave orders that the princess should ride no other Ponyta than this one." the Emolga protested.

"Dear princess, wait there." the Luxio assured Lita, "I will bring you a Ponyta worthy of you myself, but I beg you not to mount this dangerous Pokemon."

"I will await your return." Lita smiled as the Luxio exited over an interlude.

"Instead of traveling to the royal hunting grounds with everyone else, Prince Mamoru and Kiiro explored the beautiful shady walks of the forest, talking of their childhoods and many other things." Brenna narrated as the lights came up on the set of a sunny forest clearing. Lita and the Luxio sat together in a circle of rocks, with two elegantly decorated Ponyta puppets near stage right.

"But if the king your father has not allowed you to reside in his palace, how is it that he has given you such beautiful jewels, worthy of a fairy or deity?" the Luxio asked.

"It is to my good godmother Hikari that I owe them." Lita replied. My parents were always jealous of me, and so they sent me away to live on a farm. "I thank Hikari for teaching me everything a good lady must know, and all that I value."

The Luxio nodded. "Well, my parents joined Arceus in heaven when I was seven years old. The fairy Hikari also taught me all I know. She sent me here to the festival, telling me that I would find my future queen there."

He went on over a romantic theme "I believe, dear Kiiro, that you are the charming and beautiful lady Hikari foretold all those years ago. Will you ask, princess, to join your life with mine and authorize me to request your hand of your parents?"

"Before answering, milord, I must obtain permission from Hikari." Lita replied. "But you may be sure that I will be very happy to spend my life with you."

"Aw"s filled the theater as Lita and the Luxio embraced...

To Be Continued...

Act 24: A Show in Silver (part 4)

"The day flew by for Kiiro and Mamoru, and they returned to the palace to get ready for dinner." Brenna narrated over an interlude. Kiiro entered her humble chamber and got ready for the evening, but when she saw herself in the mirror, she could not suppress a cry of admiration."

"Oh!" Lita's voice came from the dark stage.

"Her robe was of velvet, and was so fine and light, and brilliant it looked as if it had been woven from Beautifly wings." Brenna went on. "It was studded with diamonds that glittered like the stars. The hem of this robe, the corsage and the waist were trimmed with diamond fringe which sparkled like a thousand silver suns. Her hair was partly covered with a net of diamonds from which a tassel of immense diamonds fell to her shoulders. Every diamond was as large as an Aspear, and was worth a kingdom, at least. Her necklace and bracelets were so immense and so brilliant that you could not look at them for very long without being blinded."

"Wow"s and cheers filled the theater as the lights came up on Lita in the costume Brenna described. "Thank you, Hikari." Lita whispered as she followed the Riolu offstage.

The lights came up on the royal ballroom set again, where the Luxio waited for Lita. "Good evening, Kiiro." he smiled.

He noticed the Raichus and the Pikachus looking jealously at Lita. "I can't imagine why your family would shun you like this." he sighed. "No matter--I will be here to protect you from whatever evil they may be plotting."

"I don't understand this either..." Lita replied. "What have I done to offend them to the point of wanting to destroy me?"

"You have done nothing to deserve death, Kiiro." the Luxio replied. "When will you permit me to ask your hand of your father? In my kingdom everyone will love you, and I will love you more than all the rest."

"Tomorrow, dear prince, I will send you the reply of my godmother when I ask her tonight." Lita replied.

The lights went down over a tense interlude. "At last, they were called to dinner. Mamoru placed himself at Kiiro's side and they conversed through every course." Brenna narrated.

The lights came up on the royal dining room set, where the cast was finishing up a pretend dessert course. "Now, let the dancing commence!" the male Raichu smiled.

The orchestra's harpist started an elegant melody as the red clad Pikachu and the blue clad Pikachu danced along. They bowed to the applauding cast members and the audience, then eyed Lita. "Now, sister...it's your turn." the red clad Pikachu sneered.

Lita nervously backed away. "What's the matter, do you have two left feet?" the blue Pikachu mockingly asked.

"N-no...I have not practiced anything..." Lita stammered.

"Kiiro! I order you to dance!" the female Raichu roared. "Don't give us any of this practice stuff!"

The Luxio hurried to Lita's side. "I will be your partner, dear Kiiro. If you do not know a single step, let me do it for you alone."

"Thank you, milord. I recognize and am grateful for your courtesy." Lita smiled with feigned nervousness.

The audience watched as the Luxio and Lita proceeded to dance to, appropriately enough, "The Fairy's Waltz". When the harp's last note died, their applause drowned out the applause of the cast onstage! "I'm sick of people taking bows for my talent!" the red clad Pikachu grumbled.

"What does she have that we don't?" the blue-clad Pikachu agreed.

"Remember the threats and power of the fairy Hikari! Tomorrow shall be the last day." the female Raichu whispered, which seemed to calm the two Pikachus.

The other cast members crowded around the Luxio and Lita, all begging to see them dance again. "All right everyone, calm down." the Luxio smiled. "We will gladly dance again for you."

He then called to the orchestra's harpist "'The Riverside Waltz', please."

The audience watched in amazement as Lita and the Luxio danced again, applauding along with the cast as the song ended. "The applause and enthusiasm for Kiiro and Prince Mamoru was so overpowering that they took shelter in the garden." Brenna narrated as the lights went down.

The lights came up on a royal garden set, where Lita and the Luxio pantomimed a conversation as they walked. "They walked side by side for the rest of the evening, and talked happily about their plans for the future, if the fairy Hikari would permit them to unite their lives. Kiiro's diamonds sparkled with such brilliancy that the alleys where they walked and the little groves where they seated themselves, seemed illuminated by a thousand stars."

She intoned "At last, it was time to part."

"Tomorrow! Tomorrow I hope to say, yours eternally." Lita called to the Luxio as she exited and the lights went down.

They came up on the small room, where Lita was in nightclothes, lying in a modest bed. "Hikari, tomorrow I must give a definite answer to Prince Mamoru." she mused. "What should I say, dear godmother? I will obey your command, no matter how painful it may be."

The harpist started Hikari's motif as the Dedenne materialized before Lita. "Say yes, my dear Kiiro, to Prince Mamoru. I myself foretold this marriage. It was to allow you to get to know Prince Mamoru that I forced your father to invite you here."

Lita smiled as the Dedenne disappeared in a flash of light and a giggle. "Thank you, Hikari...."

To Be Continued...

Act 25: A Show in Silver (part 5)

The orchestra started an ominous theme as the lights came up on the set of the royal apartments. "How is she earning the attention we so rightfully deserve?" the blue-clad Pikachu complained.

"I don't know--I wasn't the one that summoned the fairy here!" the male Raichu shot back.

"Everyone, please!" the female Raichu interjected. "I have an idea...remember the big race tomorrow?"

"Yeah...let's have Kiiro ride the wildest Ponyta we can find!" the red clad Pikachu suggested.

The male Raichu nodded "Prince Mamoru will have no Ponyta to exchange this time..."

"Boo"s filled the air as the lights came up on the simple room. A knock startled Lita awake. "Permission to serve lunch?" a female voice asked.

"Lunch?" Lita gasped. "Oh Arceus, it is nearly noon! I'd better not keep Prince Mamoru waiting!"

"After eating the simple meal, Kiiro quickly got dressed." Brenna narrated as the lights went down , hiding Lita changing into another costume. "She was dressed in pale yellow riding togs, embroidered in the front and at the hem with rubies, sapphires, and emeralds. Her hat was of white velvet, ornamented with plumes of a thousand colors, taken from the plumage of the rarest bird Pokemon and attached by a sapphire larger than an egg. On her neck was a chain of sapphires, at the end of which was a watch, the face of which was opal, the back a carved sapphire and the glass diamond. This watch was always going, never was more than a minute fast or slow, and never required winding."

More cheers filled the air as the lights came up on the ballroom set, where Lita met the Luxio in the costume Brenna described. "Well, dear princess, what did Hikari say to you?" the Luxio asked.

"That which my heart desired, milord." Lita replied. "I give my life to you as you have dedicated yours to me."

"Thank you! Thank you, a thousand times over, Kiiro!" the Luxio smiled as he joyfully hugged Lita. "When may I ask your hand of the king your father?"

"At the close of the races, milord." Lita replied

"Permit me to add to my first petition that in addition being married to you this very day, I cannot bear to see you subjected to the tyranny of your family and I wish to take you to my kingdom as soon as possible." the Luxio requested.

"Accept, Kiiro--Mamoru truly loves you, and wishes to see you safe." Lita heard the Dedenne say from offstage.

The Dedenne than appeared before the Luxio. "Press the marriage, milord, and speak to the king without delay. Kiiro's life is in danger, and I'm not sure if I will be able to reach her if something evil befalls her."

The Luxio froze as the Dedenne disappeared. "K-kiiro, did you hear that?"

"Every word." Lita replied. "Hikari gave us a warning we must not ignore." She let that hang as the lights went down.

The lights came up on the set of a fantasy racetrack. The Luxio noticed a "dancing" Ponyta puppet, and held Lita close. "You will not ride this Pokemon, princess. See how wild it is?"

He made a grand gesture to an ornately decorated shining Ponyta puppet. "Here is your mount."

"Allow Kiiro to mount this Ponyta; she is a present from me." the Dedenne told the Luxio from offstage. "Follow her wherever she takes Kiiro--she must be safe in your kingdom before the day is done."

The orchestra started an exciting melody as the lights went down, and the puppeteers brought to life what Brenna described. "A few moments later, Ponytas ridden by veiled Pikachus advanced in front of Kiiro. One of them shoved Kiiro so hard, she would have been sent flying if it were a mortal Ponyta. The veiled Pikachu was thrown upon the rocks, where she remained immovable while Kiiro, who had recognized Homura, tried to stop her own Ponyta. The other rider shoved against Kiiro, was sent flying like the first and the veiled woman was also thrown upon the rock, which seemed meant to receive her all along."

"Go, flee quickly!" the Dedenne warned from a spotlight, seemingly alongside the two Ponyta puppets. "The king is pursuing you with a great company to kill you both. The sun will set in a few hours. I barely have time to rescue you from this danger so give my Ponytas the reins; Mamoru, abandon Tsubasa."

"Right!" The Luxio replied as he jumped onto the shining Ponyta puppet with Lita.

The audience held their breaths as the orchestra played. But after five heart-pounding minutes, cheers went up as the lights revealed a beautiful fantasy kingdom set. "After six long and grueling hours, they arrived at the gates of Prince Mamoru's kingdom, Violight." Brenna narrated as a crowd of extras welcomed Lita and the Luxio. "The whole palace was lit up in millions of sparkling lights, and all the courtiers were waiting at the entrance in their most magnificent costumes to welcome the princess and the prince. Prince Mamoru and Kiiro were amazed, not knowing what to make of this unexpected reception."

The Luxio gasped when he saw the Dedenne. "Hikari!"

"Welcome home." the Dedenne smiled. "Prince Mamoru, come with me; all is prepared for the wedding. Show Kiiro to her room that she may change, while I explain to you why things have happened as they have."

"Right away!" the Luxio smiled before escorting Lita offstage.

The orchestra started a soft victory theme as the lights came up on the Luxio and the Dedenne in an elegant royal suite. "The hatred of the king and queen against Kiiro had become so intense that they had blindly resolved to defy my warning and get rid of Kiiro." the Dedenne explained. "Seeing that their cunning arrangements in the race had not succeeded after I substituted my Ponytas for those which would have killed Kiiro, they resorted to violence."

"What?" the Luxio gasped.

"The king employed a band of thieves, who swore to him in blind obedience; they pursued your steps with vengeance in their hearts and as the king knew your love for Kiiro and foresaw that you would defend her to the end, he resolved to sacrifice you too to his hatred." the Dedenne went on. "Homura and Sora, ignorant of this last project of the father, attempted to kill Kiiro, as you have seen, by ramming their mounts against Kiiro's mount. I have punished them as they deserved--they have had their faces so crushed and wounded by the stones that they have become frightful to look at. I have aroused them from unconsciousness, and cured their wounds but left the hideous scars behind. I have deprived them of all their rich clothing, dressed them like peasants, and married them off to two brutal good-for-nothings whom I told to beat and mistreat them until their wicked hearts are changed—something I believe will never take place."

"A fitting punishment..." the Luxio muttered.

"As for the king and queen, I have transformed them into Pokemon of burden, and given them to wicked and cruel masters who will make them suffer all their brutality to Kiiro many times over." the Dedenne explained. "I have but one piece of advice to give you, milord; you are not to utter a word of the punishment I have inflicted to Kiiro. She is so good and tender-hearted that her happiness would be affected by it, but I cannot and will not take pity upon wicked people whose hearts are so vicious and unrepentant."

"Thank you, Hikari--I promise I will not utter a word of your judgement to Kiiro." the Luxio smiled. "She will not be troubled by her evil family any more."

"Now then, let us meet your lovely bride." the Dedenne agreed.

Wild cheers went up when they saw Lita in a magnificent costume. "Kiiro was dressed in dazzling golden velvet, embroidered with garlands of flowers and birds, in stones of many colors, of admirable beauty; the jewels which formed the birds were so disposed as to produce, at every motion of Kiiro, a singing more melodious than the sweetest music. A crown of flowers made of gems still more beautiful and rare than those on her robe sat on her head. Her neck and arms were covered with rubies more brilliant than the sun."

She went on over the orchestra's victorious theme "Prince Mamoru presented his hand to Kiiro, and Hikari went on before them. They walked towards the shrine, which was brilliantly illuminated and here they received their wedding vows, with Arceus, and all of Violight as their witnesses."

"Aw"s filled the air as Lita and the Luxio kissed on a magnificent shrine set, to cheers from the extras. "At the height of the wedding festivities, Prince Mamoru presented the new queen to his court." Brenna concluded as the curtains closed on the happy scene. "Everybody found her as charming and good as the prince, and they vowed to love her as they loved him. They all lived happily ever after in the greatest happiness and love."

The theater exploded in applause as the lights came up for the curtain call...

To Be Continued...

Act 26: The Stormy Stage of Mt. Citron

"Our performance in Silver Town puts us at the Silver Rank!" Ruby smiled as the group and their caravan--now with even more excited actors and crew--made their way up Citron Pass. It had been a few days since their successful performance in Silver Town--"The Legend of Kiiro" had won the hearts of the press and the townsfolk. But now, the band of actors was climbing Mt. Citron for what they believed to be their biggest challenge yet--performing for Zapdos and the Pokemon of Mt. Citron.

Lita just smiled at the glittering silver badge Ruby carried. "They say that performing for the Legendaries speeds up the rank up process, so performing for the three mountain guardians and Lugia should at least get us to the Gold rank, if not higher."

"What about Xatu of the Great Canyon?" Shimmer wondered. "Surely he too would appreciate a fine show..."

"As a Psychic type, Xatu would turn away troupes he feels are not good enough." Lita cautioned. "But he learns of good shows even from the Legendaries. So if we do well for Zapdos, Xatu might hear of it, and allow us to perform."

"Here's hoping..." Brenna sighed as the caravan approached a bend in the path, where two Manetrics stood guard at the road leading to the peak.

"Hold! You are approaching Citron Peak, where the great Zapdos roosts." one Manetric announced.

"Please state your business at the peak." the other Manetric requested.

"Good sirs, we are but a humble troupe of actors traveling around the world." Lita explained to the two blue dog Pokemon with spiky, yellow manes and yellow tufts of fur on their haunches and front feet. "May we have the honor of performing for the great Zapdos?"

The Manetric's stern looks softened. "It is not often that actors journey up into these harsh peaks..." one smiled.

"You may enter the peak--we will prepare the Stormy Stage for your performance." the other Manetric replied.

"Sir Zapdos is away bringing rain to the eastlands right now..." the first Manetric explained as he led the group and their caravan to the peak. "Should he return while you set up, I will inform him you wish to perform for him."

"Thank you, good sirs." Lita smiled as the caravan approached an alcove with a rock like stage inside. Every once in a while, the rock pulsed with electricity, giving the structure an ethereal blue sheen.

"At least we won't have to worry about lighting..." Charlotte smiled as she helped unload the costumes.

The whooshing of wings got the group's attention. "Zapdos!" Lita gasped as a majestic yellow and black bird with thick thunderbolt like wings elegantly circled down to a large perch overlooking the peak and the Stormy Stage.

It has been some time since the Stormy Stage has been awakened. Zapdos smiled, his voice powerful and yet gentle. The Pokemon in the valley have spoken of a highly promising young troupe...are you the ones they speak of?

Lita nodded. "We are, Great Stormbringer. If it pleases you, we would like to share our skills with you."

All right...what sort of performance have you prepared? Zapdos asked as he watched a fantasy house set take shape on the Stormy Stage.

"It is a tale entitled 'Destrian and the Stolen Treasure', milord." Lita explains. "Basically, a boy encounters three magical treasures while on a journey to find his three sisters. He then uses these to save a kingdom from the terrifying water dragon, Leviathan."

Zapdos' feathers pulsed with excited sparks. Inform the Pokemon of the mountain to gather here at the peak. he instructed one of the Manetrics. They too deserve to see this troupe perform.

"Yes, milord!" the Manetric replied before hurrying off down the mountain path.

Lita and Ruby looked at each other and smiled as the Pokemon of the mountain started to arrive. "You ready?" she asked as throngs of Growlithes, Nidorans, and Electrikes arrived to watch the Stormy Stage take shape.

Ruby nodded as Electabuzzes, Stantlers, Beedrill, and Ampharos joined the growing audience. "My first britches role, and I can't wait."

Lita smiled as some Pidgeottos and Gligars perched on outcroppings overlooking the Stormy Stage. "Whether I'm a hero or a princess, I'll always be happy to perform with you."

---------

The crowd of Pokemon applauded as Shimmer departed backstage, and the orchestra started a quiet overture. "There was once a king who wasted his money on wine, women, and games of chance." Brenna began from a nook at stage right. "Before long, all his money was gone. But he knew that he would have to get more somewhere, for he wished to continue in his evil ways. So over time, he sold each of his three daughters in exchange for money."

Angry whispers floated over the overture at this. "Like you guys, the people of the land were outraged that the three princesses were sold to strangers." Brenna assured the antsy crowd and Zapdos. "No one knew where they had gone or what had become of them. Their mother often cried over them. Only her son, whose name was Destrian, was left with her."

"Aw"s filled the air as the overture turned sad. "The king soon got his just desserts of his wicked life, but he had not used up all the money he had received for Princess Christina, and left some of it behind." Brenna continued. "When Destrian grew up, he started school. His mother had told him nothing of his three lost sisters. But his schoolmates told him, for they had heard their parents talk about them..." She let that hang as the overture ended and the lights came up on the fantasy house set. A Cinderace in in a simple red peasant woman costume feigned cooking in the kitchen.

"Mom?" Ruby called from offstage. "I'm home!"

"Welcome home, Destrian...how was school today?" the Cinderace smiled as Ruby--now in a simple red tunic and leggings to match--arrived in the scene.

Ruby sighed. "My classmates won't leave me alone! They tell me each of my three sisters was sold to strangers for money...and I want to know if that is true or not. If it is true, I want to find them."

The Cinderace was silent as the orchestra started a sad melody. "It's true....they were each sold to a stranger for a high price. Your father lived a life of excess, and wished to continue wasting his money on wine, women, and song."

She looked up at Ruby with feigned tears. "But now...I don't know where in the world my girls are! What if they were sold to evil people, or worse, monsters???" With that, she burst into convincing stage sobs.

"Take heart, Mom--I will venture forth into the world, and find my sisters--or die trying!" Ruby vowed as the orchestra's song turned hopeful. "Even if I have to go to the very ends of the world to find them, I will not rest until I see they are safe."

"All right..." the Cinderace replied as she dried her feigned tears. "I will have enough supplies for three weeks waiting for you in the morning."

She hugged Ruby as the lights went down. "Be safe, my son..."

To Be Continued...

Act 27: The Stormy Stage of Mt. Citron (part 2)

The orchestra started a quiet interlude as the lights came up on a forest set. "It's so quiet out here..." Ruby mused as she entered the scene. "A quiet forest can be a good thing...or it can be a really bad thing! What if there's a Mightyena or an Ursaring around the next bend?"

Some voices arguing in the distance snapped Ruby to attention. "Someone must be having a big fight...whoever these people are, let me see if I can solve their problem!"

"As he walked along the forest path, Destrian discovered three bandits sitting on a patch of grass under the trees fighting about something." Brenna narrated as Ruby approached an Umbreon, a Zorua, and a Sneasel in ragged garb feigning an argument.

"What seems to be the problem?" Ruby asked, snapping the three Dark types playing bandits to attention.

"We have here a coat, a sword, and a pair of shoes which have magical power." the Sneasel explained. "The coat can make its wearer invisible; the shoes can make the wearer run faster than the wind; and the sword can overcome all enemies."

"We cannot agree on how to divide the loot." the Umbreon sighed. "Please be the judge in our dispute and decide for us."

Ruby nodded. "I will be happy to decide the question, but first let me think about it a little so I can make the fairest decision."

"The bandits went to work fixing dinner. One gathered wood for a fire; another went to a stream for water; and the third looked after the food." Brenna narrated as the Sneasel, the Umbreon, and the Zorua feigned cooking. "When their backs were all turned, he put on the coat and shoes and took the sword. In moments he was invisible, and the bandits had no idea they'd been had."

Even Zapdos laughed at Ruby sneaking up on the items and disappearing. "Destrian raced down the road, and before long he stood before a very large house." Brenna narrated as the lights came up on a majestic house exterior set.

"Hello, anyone here?" Ruby called as she arrived in the scene. "Is the lady of the house here, at least?"

"I'm here!" A second Scorbunny in a dull gold costume met Ruby onstage. "What's your business here?"

"Orla, my sister....do you remember me?" Ruby asked.

The gold clad Scorbunny balked in surprise as the orchestra started a joyous melody. "Destrian! Is it really you?" she asked as she and Ruby embraced, to some "aw"s from the audience.

"After I heard you were sold to a stranger for money, I had to come find you." Ruby explained. "But who was the stranger you were sold to?"

"He is a great wizard of the sea who can do wonderful deeds." the gold clad Scorbunny explained. "He should be here soon--then I can give you a proper introduction."

Just then, a Wartortle in a sparkling silver and blue robe materialized in a cloud of mist. "Who is this with you, Orla? I was not told we were having guests..."

"This is my brother, Destrian." The gold clad Scorbunny gestured to Ruby, who waved hello. "He came all this way to see me."

The Wartortle smiled. "Well met, Sir Destrian. Please, make yourself at home."

The lights went down over a quiet interlude. When they came up again, the Wartortle offered Ruby a glowing prop sapphire. "This has very wonderful power. If you ever get into trouble, sing to it 'Rou iitsa ron selga vichii' and it will bring you aid from the sea."

"Rou iitsa ron selga vichii--got it!" Ruby smiled. "I promise to use this gift wisely and well."

The lights went down as Ruby departed offstage. "Before long, Destrian found himself at the home of his second sister, Ariana." Brenna narrated as Ruby arrived in front of another majestic house set.

She went on as Ruby, a Grovyle in a red and gold robe, and a silver clad Scorbunny acted out what she described. "Like her elder sister, she did not recognize him at first, until he called her by name. She told him that her husband was a great wizard of the land. Soon her husband came home and greeted him kindly, and they had a happy time together for many days."

She let that hang as Ruby prepared to exit the stage again. "Before you go, please take this gem as a gift from me." the Grovyle told Ruby as he gave her a glowing prop ruby. "This has great power. If you ever get into trouble, sing to it 'Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul' and it will bring you help from the red earth."

"Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...--got it!" Ruby smiled. "I promise to use this gift wisely and well."

The orchestra started another interlude as Ruby departed again. "Then Destrian found himself at the home of his youngest sister, Christina." Brenna narrated as she watched a pale blue clad Scorbunny, a Pidgeotto with a sparkling green cloak, and Ruby act what she described on the set of a third house. "She too did not recognize him at first; but when he called her by name, she knew that he was her brother, and he found that her husband was a great wizard of the sky. He was welcomed by the sky wizard, and Destrian stayed with them a long time."

The lights game up on Ruby and the blue clad Scorbunny in the den of the house. "Christina...I believe Arceus is calling me to seek a bride." Ruby mused. "Your beloved has flown all over the world, I'd wager...has he found where the most beautiful princess in the world is?"

"Well...he tells me that in a land far away lives a very rich king who has two beautiful daughters." the blue clad Scorbunny replied. "Would you like me to use the Crystal of Seeing to show them to you?" she asked, starting towards a crystal ball on an ornate pedestal. "This is how my husband knows what is going on in the world when it is too dangerous to fly."

"Are you sure you're allowed to use the Crystal of Seeing?" Ruby wasn't so sure.

The blue clad Scorbunny nodded. "All you have to do is tell the crystal who or what it is you want to see. If you just want to see all that is going on the world, just tell it 'I want to see the world'."

"What are the names of these two princesses?" Ruby asked.

"Alma and Perla are their names." the blue clad Scorbunny replied.

"I'd like to see Princess Alma and Princess Perla...please." Ruby nervously stammered.

Even Zapdos was amazed as the crystal ball glowed, revealing the image of a normal and Shiny Sylveon in royal garb greeting their subjects as they walked down a street. "Hm...while both of them are very beautiful and pure of heart, I will try to win Perla's hand first." Ruby mused as the image faded away.

The lights came up on the house exterior, where the Pidgeotto and the blue clad Scorbunny were seeing Ruby off. "Christina told me everything." the Pidgeotto explained. "Before you depart on your quest, take this--it is a gift from me."

With that, he dropped a glowing emerald into Ruby's hands. "This has wonderful power. If you ever get into trouble, sing to it 'Karuto, iichiida shou...' and it will bring you help from the sky."

"Karuto, iichiida shou...--got it!" Ruby smiled. "I promise to use this gift wisely and well."

"Farewell, Destrian!" the Pidgeotto called as he and the blue clad Scorbunny waved goodbye. "May Arceus grant you His favor on your noble quest!"

To Be Continued...

Last edited:
Act 28: The Stormy Stage of Mt. Citron (part 3)

The orchestra started a regal melody as Brenna narrated "Destrian soon found himself at the castle of the rich king. Before going to the castle, he went to a house on the outskirts of the town where two women lived."

The lights came up on a set of a large cabin, where Lita and a Shinx met Ruby. "Welcome, traveler." Lita smiled. "What brings you here to our fair city?"

"My name is Destrian, good ladies." Ruby replied. "I have come from afar to seek the king's younger daughter, Perla."

"The king's elder daughter, Princess Alma, is to be wed tomorrow, but she will not live long with her husband." the Shinx sighed.

"Why not?" Ruby asked as the orchestra started a sad melody.

"Have you not heard of the Giant of the Sea, Leviathan?" the Shinx asked.

"No, I have not." Ruby replied.

"They took him to the window, and pointed to a high cliff far across the sea. The waves were crashing at its base, and the spray dashed high on its side. But he could see an entrance in the face of the cliff." Brenna narrated as Lita and Ruby pantomimed what she described.

"In that cave lives the water dragon Leviathan, the Giant of the Sea." Lita explained. As soon as a girl is married in this land, he carries her off to the cave and she is never heard from again. He cannot be killed, for he keeps his heart hidden where no one can find it. He is the terror of all the land."

"He may keep his heart hidden, but I will find out where the heart is hidden, and slay Leviathan!" Ruby vowed over a hopeful melody. "Either that, or die trying!"

"If you can defeat Leviathan, it would bring this realm peace." the Shinx smiled. "Even more so if the missing girls were found alive."

Ruby nodded. "Leave it to me! I'll find a way!"

Awed chatter filled the air as the lights came up on a beautifully decorated shrine set. "The next morning, Destrian went on to the castle to see the wedding of Princess Alma." Brenna narrated as the wedding procession paraded inside the set. "The wedding was a grand affair, and there was much rejoicing, for the people did not think that the sea dragon would carry off Princess Alma. But during the wedding feast, Princess Alma vanished without a trace." She let that hang as the lights went down and "Here Comes the Bride" came to a halt.

"Alma! Alma, where are you?" a Jolteon called as he frantically searched a set of a royal hall. "I've searched this entire castle from top to bottom, and I can't find Princess Alma anywhere."

"That's because Leviathan has taken her." a Leafeon playing a maid sighed.

"Many a brave hero has tried to slay Leviathan, but so far, all have failed." an Umbreon playing a noble agreed. "Arceus have mercy on the poor girls..."

"Aw"s filled the peak as the lights came up on a throne room set, where Ruby bowed on one knee before the Flareon playing the king. "Your Majesty...I have come from afar seeking the hand of your younger daughter. Princess Perla."

The Flareon balked at this. "What good will it do you to marry her? You know she will be carried off by the Giant of the Sea, Leviathan!"

"But I can kill that big ol' water dragon." Ruby smiled, to some giggles as she struck a heroic pose.

"How?" the Flareon asked. "No one can do that!"

"On my travels around this world, I met three great wizards, who granted me three magical stones." Ruby explained. "I also managed to recover three magic items from the clutches of bandits."

"What sort of treasure?" The Flareon was interested.

"One was a coat that can make its wearer invisible." Ruby explained. "Another was a pair of shoes that can make the wearer run faster than the wind. The third was a sword that can overcome all enemies--not even the primal dragon Eternatus can stand against the one that wields it!"

She vowed "You have my word I will use my treasures to defeat Leviathan and bring back Princess Alma and the other lost girls, or die trying. I also promise to be faithful to Princess Perla, now and forever."

The Flareon smiled. "Very well, Destrian. I give my heartiest blessings on your marriage. May Perla be faithful to you, now and forever."

The orchestra started an ominous melody as the lights went down. "The next day the wedding feast was held." Brenna narrated from her nook. "There was not much happiness this time, for the people knew that the king's only remaining child would soon be stolen away by the Giant of the Sea."

She intoned "Sure enough, at the feast, the bride disappeared without a trace; and everyone within miles knew she was taken to the dragon's cave."

The lights came up on the royal hall set, where Destrian noticed a crowd of extras playing nobles feigning crying. "I knew this place would be an uproar when Perla was taken by Leviathan, but nothing like this!"

"How long, O Arceus?" a Sylveon playing a priestess cried. "How long until we are delivered from the scourge of Leviathan, and our daughters and sisters brought back to us?"

Ruby grimaced at this. "This has gone far enough!"

This got the crowd of extras' attention. "For far too long you have suffered because of the great water dragon Leviathan, and lost many beloved daughters. But I intend to break this cycle of woe, so your daughters and sisters can unite before Arceus without fear!"

"Are you sure?" a Glaceon playing a noble asked. "I applause your willingness to slay Leviathan, but you have a long quest ahead of you. Are you sure you want to try and bring back your beloved Perla and the other girls?

Ruby nodded. "Tomorrow I will go and bring them back!"

To Be Continued...

Act 29: The Stormy Stage of Mt. Citron (part 4)

"The next day, Destrian put on his magical coat and shoes, took his sword, and went to the sea dragon's cave." Brenna narrated over a tense interlude. "The hole in the cliff was closed up, and he could not enter, but he cut a hole in the rock with his sword and got in that way."

She let that hang as Ruby lightly jumped into the set of a cave, where hundreds of female extras feigned crying. At the back of the cave set, a large blue glittering snake-like dragon puppet "slept". "Wow...so this is Leviathan..." Ruby mused. "Good thing he can't see me!" She gestured to a dull red coat as part of her costume.

After a few tense moments, the beautiful dragon puppet woke up with a yawn, then elegantly "flew" offstage. "Leviathan's no doubt gone to take another maiden..." Ruby mused. "If I'm going to rescue Perla and her sister Alma, now's my chance!"

With that, she jumped and skipped over the rocks on the set, locating the Shiny Sylveon by stage left. "Destrian?" the Shiny Sylveon gasped when she saw Ruby. "How did you make it in here without Leviathan seeing you?"

"My cloak has the gift of invisibility." Ruby explained. "That's how I got in."

"So, how do you plan on saving us?" the Shiny Sylveon asked.

"When Leviathan returns, ask him where his heart is hidden." Ruby explained. "This way, I know where to begin in rescuing all of you."

The Shiny Sylveon smiled. "Whatever your plan is, I hope to Arceus it works."

About then, the blue dragon puppet returned, gently setting down a "struggling" Petilil before returning to its roost.

"Leviathan, may I have the honor of asking you a question?" the Shiny Sylveon asked.

"What is your question? You are welcome to ask me anything at all." the majestic puppet assured the Shiny Sylveon.

"Well, I have long wondered...where do you keep your heart?" the Shiny Sylveon asked.

Some awkward giggles went up at the puppet's surprised reaction. "No one has ever asked me that before, but since you are the first to ask me, I will tell you." it replied. "I keep it in a box far out in the sea. It is in an iron box. There are seven boxes, one inside the other. It is in the innermost box."

"Okay...where do you keep the keys to the box?" the Shiny Sylveon wondered.

"They are hidden beside the box." the Leviathan puppet replied.

The lights blinked over to Ruby listening in from an alcove. "This is perfect! All I have to do is use the three jewels to find the box, and cut the heart!"

The lights went down, then came up again on Ruby arriving on a beach set, complete with palm trees and glittering "waves". After a few tense moments, Ruby took out the prop sapphire, and sang Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...

The audience gasped in awe as the sapphire glowed, and a huge Wailord puppet appeared in the prop "water". "Ye have called, Sir Destrian, and I have come." it began in a deep, gentle voice. "What do you need?"

"Please bring me the iron box and the keys that lie at the bottom of the ocean." Ruby requested.

The Wailord nodded, dove into the "water", then returned with an ornate prop box and matching keys. "Here you are. If you need me again, only call."

"Thanks!" Ruby smiled, waving as the Wailord puppet departed. "Now...let's try opening this!"

Laughter rippled through the peak as Ruby feign struggling to open the box. "It's no use...the keys are all rusted from being in the water for so long!"

She tossed away the prop keys and sighed. "NOW how am I supposed to open the box?"

A red glint got her attention. "Oh, of course!" she smiled as she unearthed the prop ruby from her bag

She held the ruby to the sky, and sang Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

The ruby glowed, and after a few moments, an Ampharos puppet dashed into the scene. "Ye have called, and I have come." it smiled in a gentle voice. "What is it you need?"

"Can you please break open this box and each box you find inside?" Ruby asked, offering the puppet the box. "I've tried opening them myself, but the keys are all rusted."

"With pleasure." the Ampharos replied as Ruby set the box on the sand, then stepped back to stage left.

The audience watched in awe as the Ampharos puppet Headbutted the outer box until it broke, and Headbutted each one until it broke them all. When the last one broke, an ornate ruby encrusted heart with glowing magenta wings flew out, to Ruby's shock. "Well, the box is open, at least..." she deadpanned. "Thanks!" she called as the Ampharos puppet departed.

Then she took out the prop emerald, and sang to it Karuto, iichiida shou...

The audience gasped again as the emerald glowed, and a beautiful Talonflame puppet appeared before Ruby. "Ye have called, and I have come, little one." it smiled in a gentle female voice. "What is it that you need?"

"Can you please bring me Leviathan's heart? Ruby asked. "It has just escaped from the box and is flying to Arceus-knows-where."

"With pleasure." The Talonflame puppet soared offstage. It returned a few moments later with the ruby heart. "Here it is. Cut it quickly, before it escapes again!"

"HIIIIIIII-YAH!" Ruby cried, making a dramatic stab at the prop heart with the prop sword, to cheers from the audience.

The lights came up on the cave set again. "You did it, Destrian!" the Shiny Sylveon smiled as the various girl Pokemon danced and celebrated. "The moment you cut Leviathan's heart, he fell down, dead as a doornail!"

"Well, now he won't bother any more girls." Ruby smiled. "Let's get everyone home!"

The lights went down as the orchestra started a victorious theme. "Of all those in the realm, none was happier than the king, as he watched the girls of the land reunite with their beloveds." Brenna narrated. "The king gave Destrian a large house close to his castle, and there Destrian and his wife Princess Perla lived happily. Destrian also sent for his mother, and brought her to live with him and his wife."

She concluded "Destrian did many more wonderful deeds with the magic jewels, and the sword, the shoes, and the cloak which he had taken from the bandits in the forest."

She looked out on the smiling Zapdos, and the enthralled mountain Pokemon. "But that is another story for another day!"

The Pokemon of the mountain cheered as the curtains closed. They cheered even louder when the lights came up for the curtain call. That was very well done. Zapdos smiled after the group had taken their bows. But every performance, be this a child's bedtime story or a grand adventure in many parts, can always be improved on.

He went on Your road now leads you into the Great Canyon and Xatu--no doubt he has already felt our excitement and joy watching you all perform. You've all put your hearts into your performances--and it shows in every play you perform. Keep the spirit of the stage alive as you travel, and it will carry you through all life's storms.

He next conjured a thunderbolt shaped topaz. As thanks for your wonderful performance, I bestow upon you the Topaz of Spirit. May it remind you to never let the glory go your heads--and that every show you do is a team effort.

"Thanks, Zapdos." Ruby smiled as she accepted the Divine Treasure. "We promise to protect the spirit of the stage."

"No matter what happens, the show must go on!" Lita agreed, to more cheers as the group celebrated a successful show...

To Be Continued...

Act 30: A Challenge in the Canyon

"How much further do we have to go?" Ruby complained as the caravan wound its way through the majestic rock formations of the Great Canyon. "Even as a Fire type, this is killing me!"

"Not much further." Lita assured Ruby as she looked up from her map. "We should be reaching Xatu's abode on the Hill of the Ancients very soon."

"Good--it's hot enough for even a Water type to be miserable." Brenna sighed as she misted herself to keep cool in the scorching heat.

"Even though we only left Mt. Citron two days ago, it feels like an eternity now..." Charlotte agreed as the caravan emerged from the canyon to approach a large hill.

A white humanoid Pokemon brandished its blade-like arms as the group approached. "Hold! The great Xatu is meditating now...if you wish to see him, state your reason for coming all this way."

"Sir Gallade, we are but a humble troupe of actors on a great journey to Luminous City." Lita explained. "I ask if the Great Xatu is interested in a performance."

Suddenly, the group heard a gentle male voice echoing in their minds. So this is the troupe that is making others happy no matter where they travel...Shaymin and Zapdos have informed me they give a fine show.

"Would you like for the Moonlight Players to perform for you, great one?" the Gallade asked.

Yes--allow them inside, and prepare the Canyon Stage. the male voice replied. They have already accomplished much on their journey so far, and they will accomplish a lot more.

The Gallade nodded. "Very well, great one."

He addressed the group next. "Come on inside--the Great Xatu has foreseen many of your shows so far, and likes what he sees."

"Thank you." Lita smiled as the Gallade admitted the group to the hill's expansive peak. A condor-like Pokemon with tribal designs on its feathers looked out on the canyon below and the sun in the sky, a peaceful look on its face.

It appeared to smile as the group approached. Welcome to the Hill of the Ancients, Moonlight Players. From humble beginnings, your shows are quickly growing popular no matter where you travel. But there is still more you can learn, to make your shows even better.

Lita shuddered a little as Xatu looked at her, as if he was analyzing every thought in her head. "W-well, we have hoped to be able to do musicals as well as straight plays one day, great one..."

And you will get a chance to learn the art of the musical, but first, I have a challenge for you... Xatu began. To this point, you have had a chance to reasonably prepare for a show. But any good theater troupe is able to adapt on the fly, even if they have never seen the script before.

"So, you want us to put something on that we have never seen before?" Ruby asked, confused. "I mean, we had something prepared to perform for you, but if you want to see something else, we can do that..."

Xatu focused for a moment, conjuring a script in Ruby's paws. This is the script I would like you to perform. However, it is not quite the same story you remember!

"'The Brave Little Tailor...we can do this!" Ruby smiled as she thumbed through the script. "Okay...seven with one blow...kills a giant or three..."

She balked when she reached a scene near the end of the play. "Wait a minute--every version of the show I've seen always ends with the tailor killing the giant. In this version, he has even more to do!"

This is why I warned you that this is not quite the same story you remember. Xatu explained. Will you be able to perform this for me and the Pokemon of the canyon?

"Even though we have never seen this script before, we'll give it our best shot." Brenna replied as she looked over at a stage near the peak that looked like it had been carved from the canyon itself.

That is all I ask--that you simply attempt to perform something you have never seen before. Xatu explained. Even if the resulting show is terrible, it will still be beautiful if you put your hearts into it!

Lita nodded. "Okay...if we can have a little time to choose roles and rehearse a little, we should have a decent show to put on..."

You have three days to decide roles and rehearse, with the performance on the third night. Xatu explained. I believe you can have a show ready in such a short time.

"That's fair." Charlotte replied.

She addressed the members of the troupe. "Come on, everyone! Even though we only have three days to prepare, let's make this one of the best shows Xatu has ever seen!"

A pleased look appeared on Xatu's face as the group cheered, then hurried off to set things up and make preparations. If you do well with my challenge, I will allow you access to the Garden of Melodies, where Meloetta dwells. She can give you the musical training you have longed for.

Lita smiled. "All the more reason to give this show everything we've got!" She let that hang as she hurried off to the Canyon Stage to prepare for a quick rehearsal...

To Be Continued...

Act 31: An Adventure on the Fly (part 1)

The stars twinkled over the Great Canyon as the resident Pokemon hurried to join Xatu in watching the group's performance. But backstage, the group was undergoing their final preparations. "Nervous?" Lita asked as she emerged in a princess costume.

"More than any other show we have done." Ruby replied as she emerged in a simple fantasy outfit--with a big red 7 concealed behind a piece of fabric. Rio had come up with the idea of the hidden 7 to save Ruby time and a costume change.

"Remember--this was given to us as a challenge, and we've never backed down from a challenge before." Lita assured Ruby.

She looked out at her excited troupemates. "Let's show Xatu what we can do!"

Cheers went up in agreement as the group hurried into position. After a few moments, the orchestra struck up a dreamy overture. "On one warm summer's morning in a far away land, a little tailor--we'll call him Tomlin--was sitting by the window, happily sewing as he always did." Brenna narrated from a nook at stage right. "Though the pay he earned wasn't much, it was enough to get by from day to day."

She smiled at the excited audience. "It helped that Tomlin enjoyed his work." She let that hang as the lights came up on the set of a simple fantasy house, where Ruby was pantomiming sewing a jacket.

"Fresh berries!" Shimmer called from offstage. "Fresh berries, picked with love from the vine! Come buy! Come buy!"

Ruby snapped to attention. "Cherida's here! Let's go see what berries and treats she's brought this week!"

After setting the prop jacket aside, she hurried offstage. She returned a few moments later with a few jars of jelly, marmalade, and other spreads. "Okay--Rawst jam and Oran marmalade go in the cupboard for tomorrow..." she mused as she placed some of the prop jars in a cupboard on the set.

A stomach growl got her attention. "I see no harm in getting into the Grepa jelly now..." she smiled as she got some bread from the cupboard.

She noticed the jacket as she spread some of the Grepa jelly on the bread. "But this jacket's just about done...I should finish it first, then have a snack."

She set the bread on a plate, then returned to her work. After a few moments of quiet, the sound effect of Venonats buzzing played, annoying Ruby from her pretend work. "Hey! Who invited you?" she asked, swatting at the imagined Venonats while the audience laughed.

Finally, Ruby got a glass from the cupboard, and clomped it down hard on the table. When she counted how many feigned Vanonats she had killed, her face lit up. "Wow! I managed to kill seven with one blow...the whole town will know of this!"

"Tomlin eagerly set to work making a suit of cloth armor, with a huge number 7 embroidered in red on the torso." Brenna narrated as the lights went down, save for the ruffing and thumping of Ruby pretending to work.

A 'ta-da!' stinger played as the lights revealed the large red 7 on Ruby's costume. "Why stop at just the town? The whole world will hear of it!" she smiled, to some light applause.

The orchestra started an excited interlude. "Tomlin eagerly packed a few weeks' worth of supplies for his journey, and set out the next morning." Brenna narrated at the light went down. "At first, the journey was uneventful. The road led him up a mountain, and when Tomlin had reached the peak, there sat a powerful Machoke looking down at the valley below...

The lights came up on Ruby strolling into a mountain road set. A Machoke sat on a rock at stage right. "Good day, comrade, sitting there overlooking the whole wide world!" Ruby smiled. "I am just on my way there, and want to try my luck. Want to come with me?"

The audience laughed as the Machoke reared back at the huge red 7. "Maybe that big 7 means the number of rogues this lad has slain in battle..." he mused in an aside. "So it may not be the best idea to battle him...maybe I should test his wits."

He picked up a rock. "If you can squeeze the rock so that water runs from it, I'll trust you."

"Is that all? That's child's play!" Ruby smiled.

The audience laughed as the Machoke balked at the melted cheese. He located a rock and heaved it skyward. "Let's see you top that."

"Well thrown, but what goes up must eventually come down--I will throw you one that doesn't come back at all." Ruby confidently smiled.

With that, she heaved a prop Fletchling from her pocket, which fluttered offstage to the Machoke's feigned amazement. "How does that please you, comrade?"

"You can certainly throw, but now we will see if you are able to carry anything properly." the Machoke replied as the lights went down.

They came up on a forested set some moments later. The Machoke led Ruby to a prop tree. "If you are strong enough, help me carry the tree out of the forest."

"Sure! Take the trunk on your shoulders, and I will carry the branches and twigs; they are the heaviest." Ruby offered before scrambling into the prop tree's branches.

The audience howled with laughter at the Machoke straining to carry the "heavy" prop tree. When he set it down, Ruby climbed out. "You are such a great fellow, and yet you can't even carry the tree!" she taunted, a confident smirk on her face.

The audience roared with laughter over a trumpet's "wah-wah-wah-wah" stinger as the Machoke trudged offstage and the lights went down...

To Be Continued...

Act 32: An Adventure on the Fly (part 2)

The orchestra started a quiet interlude. "Tomlin went on his way, following where the wind led him." Brenna narrated from her nook. "After he had walked for a long time, he came to the courtyard of a royal palace. As he was very tired, he lay down on the grass and fell asleep." She let that hang as the lights came up on Ruby "sleeping" under a tree.

After a few tense moments, a crowd of Pokemon in fantastic costumes arrived in the scene. "Wow! Look at the size of that 7!" an Emolga gasped as he soared on the stage.

"I wonder what that 7 means..." a Roselia agreed.

"Maybe it's the number of warriors he has defeated?" a Mienshao asked.

"If this is in fact the case, then what is a great warrior doing here in a time of peace?" a Ninetales asked.

"Maybe he must be a great lord of a far away land!" a Shinx suggested. "We must inform His Majesty!" The other extras cheered in agreement as the lights went down.

They came up on a majestic throne room set as an Arcanine in royal garb came out to meet the extras, with a Delphox in royal garb not far behind. "Oh my...this must be a grave concern if so many of you have come..."

"We have seen the oddest thing, Your Grace..." the Shinx explained as the throng bowed before the Arcanine. "There is a traveler dozing on the hill outside the royal city. The strange thing is, a large red 7 is emblazoned on his clothes."

"That is strange..." the Arcanine mused. "Do any of you have an idea as to what the large red 7 means?"

"We believe him to be a great hero who has slain seven evils." the Roselia suggested. "Perhaps he updates the number when he kills a new evil lord or monster, to warn away those that would do evil. So the large 7 is a warning--if you battle him, you may be slain opponent number 8." Nervous giggles went up in agreement.

"What the townsfolk have said is true." the Delphox assured the Arcanine, conjuring an image of Ruby "sleeping" for the Arcanine to see. "If war ever broke out, this would be a good person to have in the royal ranks."

The Arcanine nodded. "Very well, Aslin. Will you go to this hero and offer him service in the royal court?"

"Right away, Your Grace." The Delphox gave the Arcanine a little bow, the hurried off as the lights went down.

They came up again on the hill set. The Delphox arrived just as Ruby woke up from her feigned nap. "Oh! Are you maybe one of the residents of the city?" she asked.

The Delphox nodded. "I am Lady Aslin of Beltany, envoy and chief advisor to His Majesty King Liam of Beltany."

"A royal envoy?" Ruby gasped as she scrambled to her feet. "What message does His Majesty have for me?"

"The townsfolk are in awe that you managed to kill seven evils." the Delphox explained. "Whether you killed them all at once, or one by one, I don't know, but His Majesty is well pleased with your bravery and valor. He wishes to offer you a place in the royal court, and an honored resident of the royal city."

Ruby smiled. "That's why I came here. I would be more than honored to enter His Majesty's service."

The orchestra started a majestic melody as Brenna narrated "Tomlin was honorably received, and he was well loved and well liked by commoner and nobility alike. The other soldiers, however, were unsure that Tomlin was even worthy of being at court. They knew well if they argued with him, and it came to blows, seven of them would fall at every blow. So they came to the king and asked him to find a way for Tomlin to prove his courage and wits..."

The lights came up on Ruby bowing before the Arcanine on the throne room set. "Tomlin...you have proven yourself a fine resident of the royal city, and many can vouch for your courage, your wit, and joyous heart." the Arcanine explained. "But there are some who don't believe in your skill. So I propose to you three challenges. If you can successfully complete them all, I will give you my only daughter, Princess Natalie, as a bride for you, and half the kingdom as a wedding gift."

"That would be a wonderful thing for someone like me!" Ruby smiled. "It's not every day one is offered a beautiful princess and half a kingdom! Name your challenges, and I will do it, even if I have to go to the very ends of the world and slay a thousand Hydreigons!"

The Arcanine smiled at Ruby's enthusiasm. "All right, here is the first challenge...in a certain forest live two giants, who cause great terror with their robbing, murdering, plundering, and burning. No one can approach them without putting themselves in danger. Should it happen that you need help, a hundred soldiers will go with you."

"I will soon subdue the giants, and do not require any help to do it." Ruby grinned. "He who can hit seven in one blow, has no need to be afraid of two."

Excited chatter filled the hillside as the orchestra started an adventurous theme. "And so, Tomlin went forth, and the hundred soldiers followed him." Brenna narrated as the lights came up on Ruby and a crowd of a hundred Growlithes in prop royal armor arrived on a forest set...

To Be Continued...

Act 33: An Adventure on the Fly (part 3)

The audience watched as Ruby told her entourage of Growlithes "Wait here, I will soon finish off the giants."

She then bounded off into another part of the forest set, where she clambored into a tree, where she could see the imagined giants. It was probably for the best we had the giants be offstage voices... Lita thought as she watched Ruby drop a rock from her perch. Pokemon on top of each other would look silly...

Some offstage dialogue alerted her the rock had hit its target. "Did you push me?"

"I did not!"

"Then who did?"

"I never touched you!"

"Oh, yes you did!"

"I did not!"

"Did too!"

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

Even Xatu had to laugh at the whirling cloud of dust on the stage near Ruby's perch. "It is a lucky thing that they did not tear up the tree I was sitting in, or I would have had to jump onto another like a Pachirisu." Ruby noted to the audience as the cloud of dust whirled about, complete with fighting noises. "But we tailors are nimble enough."

Once the dust had settled, she tiptoed up to the large sand bags standing in for the giants, made a few gashes on them, then returned to the waiting Growlithes at the other end of the stage.

"Well?" one Growlithe asked as Ruby returned.

"Are the giants slain?" another one asked.

"The battle is over." Ruby smiled. "I have given both of them their final blow, but it was hard work! They tore up trees to use as weapons, but all that is to no avail when someone like myself comes, who can kill seven in one blow."

"But are you not wounded?" a third Growlithe asked.

"You need not worry about that. They have not harmed one hair of mine." Ruby assured the Growlithe.

"Will you allow us to see what you have claimed for ourselves?" a third Growlithe asked.

"Gladly. I have nothing to hide." Ruby replied as the group of Growlithes ventured to the dark part of the stage.

They returned a few moments later in shock. "By Arceus...what the tailor said was true!" one Growlithe gasped. "He has more than passed the first challenge!"

The orchestra played a victorious theme as the lights went down, then came up on Ruby and the Arcanine in the throne room again. "The soldiers confirmed that you have completed the first challenge--well done." the Arcanine smiled.

"What must I do now, Your Grace?" Ruby asked.

"The second challenge is this--in the forest roams a wild Beast which does great harm, and you must catch him first." the Arcanine replied.

"I fear one Beast still less than two giants. Seven in one blow, is my kind of affair." Ruby grinned over her character's triumphant trumpet motif.

"Tomlin took a rope and a bow with him, went into the forest, and bade those who were sent with him to wait outside." Brenna narrated as Ruby entered another forest set. After a few tense moments, a majestic Raikou puppet "ran" on the stage. But Ruby waited until the majestic Pokemon was quite close, shot an arrow with a rope around it into the tree, then leaped like a Sawbuck behind the tree. The Raikou puppet was easily tangled in the rope, and struggled mightily to get out, to the delight of the audience as the lights went down.

When the lights came up on the throne room again, Ruby proudly gestured to the "stuck" puppet. "Here is the Beast--he will not harm again!"

"That is a clever way to catch a Raikou..." the Arcanine smiled. "Now for your third and final challenge--I want you to catch a certain wild Emboar that wreaks great havoc in the forest. Some of the royal rangers will give you their help."

"Willingly--that is child's play!" Ruby smiled as the lights went down.

The orchestra played an interlude as Ruby and a crowd of bow wielding Charmanders arrived on a third forest set. "This is where the Emboar was last spotted?" Ruby asked.

"It is." one Charmander replied. "If you need help, we stand ready to lend our bows to your aid."

"Okay--if I need you guys, I'll just whistle!" Ruby smiled as the lights went down.

After a few tense moments, Ruby arrived in a more woodsy forest set. She gasped when she saw an Emboar puppet charging at her, but then spotted the entrance of an abandoned shrine close by. "SAY..."

She hurried into the shrine, and went in and out the window. The Emboar puppet ran in after her, but Ruby ran around outside and shut the door behind it, trapping the puppet inside.

Once satisfied with her handiwork, Ruby whistled, spurring the Charmanders to arrive with their prop bows drawn. "Stand down--I caught the Emboar." Ruby assured the rangers. She made a grand gesture to the trapped puppet as the orchestra started a victorious theme and the lights went down.

When they came up on the throne room again, Lita was with the Arcanine and Ruby in the scene. "You have passed the three challenges I gave you with aplomb." the Arcanine smiled. "My royal word is my bond--as promised, here is Princess Natalie. You will have half of the kingdom now, and the whole of it when I join Arceus in heaven."

"Aw"s went up as Lita and Ruby hugged. "Tomlin and Princess Natalie were married within the year." Brenna concluded as the curtains closed on the heartwarming scene. "The wedding was held with great magnificence and equally great joy, and out of a tailor a king was made."

Wild applause rang through the canyon as the orchestra started a joyous song for the curtain call...

---------

Now that I have seen your ability with my own eyes, I can say you have passed my challenge with flying colors. Xatu smiled. You did well working with what you had, and knew when to leave things out or cut them short. I will commend you for making the king a nicer character to Tomlin...is there a reason you took this different approach?

"Well...we felt it wasn't nice for the king to stall and break his royal word." Shimmer explained. "That was why we made the king a kinder character."

A pleased look appeared on Xatu's face. That creativity will serve you well on your travels. Don't be bonded to one specific version of a story--make every story your own.

He focused his psychic power for a moment. I have informed Meloetta that you are coming to the Garden of Melodies. I hope her musical training will be helpful to you, and allow you to add both musicals and music infused plays to your repertoire.

A happy look formed on his face. I believe...you all will perform for the Great Lord himself one day!

To Be Continued...

Act 34: In the Garden of Melodies

"I'm glad we're out of that hot canyon..." Shimmer smiled as the caravan turned down into one of the caves a few days later. It had been a few days since their performance for Xatu, and the group was both looking forward to learning how to do a musical, and looking back at their previous performance. "But I'm also thankful we passed Xatu's challenge."

"I mean, we did the best we could with what we had..." Lita agreed. "But look at it this way--at least Xatu gave us a story we were somewhat familiar with to do--what would we have done if we had received a script we had never seen before?"

"Xatu was wanting us to practice improvising, I think..." Charlotte mused. "He did it in a relatively safe manner compared to what pro troupes do--gave us a script of a story we knew fairly well, with a twist and a reasonable time limit to put it on. If we ever have to do that again, it may not be as safe as Xatu's challenge."

"That's true..." Lita mused before changing the subject. "How can a garden exist inside a cave?"

"This is Meloetta, here--she can sing anything she wants into existence." Brenna explained. "So a beautiful garden inside a cave should be no problem!"

She stopped in her tracks when she saw what looked like a wall of grass, leaves, and flowers. Two large bushes that resembled tubas framed the wall, with a Cinccino manning one of the tuba-bushes. A Chatot eyed the group for a moment. "This is the Garden of Melodies, travelers. Are you maybe the troupe of actors Xatu told us to be expecting?"

Lita nodded. "We are. Xatu gave us explicit instructions for Meloetta to train us in how to perform musicals."

The Chatot nodded, then motioned to the two Cinccinos. "Play the combination--these are the ones we are expecting.

The group jumped as four deep rumbling notes that harmonized rang through the canyon. As soon as the last pair of harmonic notes faded away, the wall of leaves and flowers opened with a rumble, allowing the group inside. "Come on inside--I will inform Meloetta you're here."

"Th-thanks." Lita stammered, still a little rattled from the loud blasts of the tuba-bushes.

"Who would've thunk you could make a working brass instrument from plants?" a Leafeon mused as the caravan made its way down the flower spangled carpet of leaves leading into the garden.

"Much less instruments that are part of the plants..." Charlotte smiled as she admired some music note flowers, and the pleasant song of flute-branches in the breeze.

A sprite Pokemon with green music staff-like hair smiled as the caravan arrived in what Lita assumed was a central square. "Welcome to the Garden of Melodies, Moonlight Players. You have done well in performing for the Pokemon of the world, but it never hurts to diversify your repertoire, and find new ways to present old favorites. Here, you can learn how to infuse music into your plays, and perform musicals for your audiences."

Lita smiled at a memory of the Aurora Players at the Rising Star Festival. "We have long desired to put on a musical or two after seeing some at this year's Rising Star Festival. So, where do we begin in learning how to put on a musical?"

"Understand the role music plays in your show." Meloetta explained, running a finger across some harp-vines to conjure a chalkboard in the square.

After drawing a diagram, she went on. "A play may have music, but the music does not actually tell the story--the dialogue does that." she explained, pointing out the left side of her diagram.

She next pointed to the other side of her diagram. "In a musical, both the music and the dialogue tell the story."

"Oh"s went up at this as Meloetta erased the chalkboard. "On that note, you don't want to cram too many songs into a short time frame. Think about where the big emotional beats, major character introductions, and meaningful moments of the show are, and put your songs there. On the other side of the coin, you don't want too few songs, either."

An idea occurred to Charlotte. "Shimmer...would you want to play a role in our hypothetical musical?"

Shimmer balked in surprise. "Really? You want me to play a role when I've mainly emceed and done backstage work so far?"

She thought for a moment. "Well...it depends on what we're doing for a practice musical..."

As if in response to Shimmer's request, Meloetta sang Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... conjuring a large book called '1001 Musicals For All Occasions' before the group. "There...that should give you plenty of choices to look through."

"Hm..." Lita thought as she studied the table of contents.

"Cinderella?" a Sylveon suggested, pointing out a story in the contents.

The group cheered at this. "Actually..." Lita began. "I was thinking we do a slightly different version of 'Cinderella'...in this version, there is no fairy godmother. The Cinderella character fled her homeland, and eventually comes to another land, where she makes her keep as a kitchen maid..."

"I know that story!" a Growlithe smiled. "That's 'Princess Furball'!

"Even better!" Meloetta agreed. "That version has plenty of room for instrumentals as well as vocal numbers."

She went on "If this one is the story you wish to do, I will let you write the script, choose roles, and plan the songs. If you need songs and instrumentals, I will be happy to write you some songs, or arrange existing ones."

"Any suggestions on how to pick roles?" Charlotte asked.

"No differently from picking a role in a straight play." Meloetta replied. "You do want to be aware of the ranges of the different roles--don't give a heroine's role that is clearly a soprano to an alto."

Lita noted. "That last thing we want is someone struggling to hit the notes in the songs..."

"You also don't want to make your hopefuls perform material from the show you're putting on." Meloetta cautioned. "Your hopefuls will feel more at ease if they sing something they know well."

Lita nodded. "We'll keep your advice in mind..."

She addressed the group. "Come on! Let's make this a musical to remember!"

To Be Continued...

Act 35: A Change of Plans

Lita sighed as she looked over a half done script. No matter how we try to make "Cinderella" a musical, it's just not working... she sighed.

"Should we try a different story?" Ruby asked. "I know some troupes have done 'Cinderella' as a musical before..."

Meloetta materialized before Lita and Ruby some moments later. "Having trouble with the script?"

"Yeah--we're thinking of doing a different story all together." Lita sighed. "'Cinderella sounded appealing at first, but every attempt we tried sounded like a copy another troupe has done."

Meloetta nodded. "This is the danger of doing a common story like this--there will be so many different versions that it's hard to make yet another version stand out--unless you did something drastic to the story. So why don't we try a lesser known tale?"

She brought over the book of musicals for the group to see. "Don't just look at the contents--take a good look at each show, until you find one that resonates with all of you."

"Say..." Ruby flipped a few pages until she stopped at the musical "The Nine Talonflames". "Anyone ever hear this tale before?"

"I have!" Charlotte called, spurring more affirmative answers to come wafting in Lita and Ruby's direction.

Ruby nodded. "Okay...how many staged versions do we know about?"

"The Solaris Theater does a musical of this show, but it's quite a bit longer than this script." Sammi remembered. "Each one of the Talonflames gets a name and a unique quest."

"That would be a bit much for us, even though we've grown a lot and learned much from when we left Harmony Town." Brenna agreed. "The book's script seems to follow the original story fairly well..."

"So let's start there." Charlotte suggested. "Rather than the hero releasing the Hydreigon, why not say the Hydreigon was causing trouble to begin with?"

Lita nodded. "That's a good idea...but what about the songs in the show? Is there any we can cut or change at all?"

"Let's see..." Ruby studied the book's version of the show. "The king and his three sons have a song, the king and the youngest son have a really nice duet, Brian and the ninth Talonflame have a pretty duet, Brian gets a solo a little later proving his loyalty to the Talonflame princesses, a reprise of the king and Brian's song earlier, Brian and the ninth Talonflame get a reunion song..."

She giggled at a stage direction in the script. "Kitsune gets a character song, complete with a brigade of dancing Braxiens; Kitsune's congratulations song, Brian sings the Swanna Song to kill the Hydreigon, and a victory song."

"Ten songs sounds about right." Lita agreed. "So, are we ready to choose roles?"

"Charlotte has to be Kitsune..." Shimmer suggested. "If you still want me to play a role, I can be one of the Pokemon Prince Brian helps..."

"Not at the moment." Lita replied. "A Goldeen, a Fennekin, and a Braviary will do just fine. Of those, the Fennekin will be a live actor--the others will be puppets."

"I'll play that part!" a Fennekin volunteered as more Pokemon crowded around Lita to either request a role or a place on the crew.

Meloetta noticed the growing crowd as more of the troupe's members arrived. "It seems you have chosen a show..."

"We've decided to do 'The Nine Talonflames'." Ruby explained.

"Ours will be a little closer to the original tale than Solaris' is." Lita agreed.

"Great choice." Meloetta smiled. "If you need help with the songs or the music, I will be happy to help."

"Our orchestra does pretty well with each show, but we would appreciate your help overseeing our auditions for the parts, and helping us learn to sing for a musical." Ruby requested.

"Well, whether you're singing for a musical or not, it would be a good idea to get in the habit of singing every day." Meloetta suggested. "It will also help you project for a straight play, as well."

She next sang to a high bush Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... transforming the bush into a grand piano. "So to start, let's do a vocal improvisation."

"How does that work?" Even Brenna was intrigued.

"Starting with a single note, sing something based around that note, and keep the resulting melody going for as long as possible." Meloetta explained. "There's no 'correct' note or melody you have to sing--whatever would sound good to you, the other performers around you, and the overall melody."

"Sounds easy enough..." Lita mused as the group gathered around the piano made of leaves and flowers.

The group listened as Meloetta lightly hit middle C on the piano. "So here's the note we'll build our improv around..."

One of the Liepards sang a African-esque phrase in response to the piano. The others joined in next, with the girls doubling the boys for a few repetitions before the melody started splitting into different parts, over which Meloetta's distinct voice soared as she gently shook an egg shaker to provide some kind of a beat for the others to sing by...

To Be Continued...

Act 36: Our First Musical (part 1)

The Garden of Melodies hummed with activity as both Pokemon from the canyon and the resident Pokemon of the garden turned out to watch the groups performance. "Here we go...our first musical..." Lita smiled as she watched the crowd take their seats from the wings.

"I'm even more nervous about having to sing..." Ruby shuddered as she emerged in a red royal tunic, leggings to match, and a prince's plumed hat.

"Remember what Meloetta said in our musical training?" Lita reminded her friend. "You don't want to oversing--keep it natural."

"The song should reinforce the spoken word." Meloetta agreed. "I'm looking forward to seeing the results of what we've learned together over the last few weeks."

Lita saw the lights flash the five minute warning. "This is it...let's show Meloetta that her music lessons have not been in vain!" The group cheered as they hurried to their places.

The audience applauded as Meloetta departed the stage and the orchestra struck up a melody that evoked magic, adventure, and mystery. Once the song ended, a spotlight appeared on Brenna at stage right. "Good evening, all." she began. "Have you ever heard the story of the shining Talonflame who became a queen, and the young prince who married her?"

Excited murmurs and "no"s came wafting in Brenna's direction. "Well, here it is..." Brenna smiled before beginning over a soft melody "There was once a king who took great delight in his garden. Every morning you would find him watering his flowers or picking the fruit of his favorite tree."

The lights came up on a Cinderace in royal garb watering the prop flowers and pantomiming weeding on a beautiful garden set. But once he approached a beautiful prop crystal tree with glittering Leppa Berries, he set down the watering can for a moment. "Yes--all is well with my miracle tree." he smiled as he admired the tree.

The orchestra's melody turned somber as the lights went down. "One morning, he was shocked and saddened to see that the tree had been stripped of all the shining fruit which had ripened during the night." Brenna narrated.

The lights came up on the set of a royal bedroom, where the Cinderace was looking out the window. After a few moments, he gasped in alarm. "Oh no! Oh no, it can't be!"

An Arcanine in knight's garb arrived in the scene. "What's the matter, milord?" he asked the trembling Cinderace.

"My miracle Leppa tree--every one of the shining Berries on its branches is gone!" the Cinderace replied.

The Arcanine hung his head. "We have searched the entire palace, milord, and questioned all that were in the palace last night. No one had a clue where the Berries went. But you have our promise that we will not rest until we capture the thief."

"In the meantime, I will put up notices in the royal city offering a handsome reward for any leads or tips as to who is taking the miracle Berries, and why." the Cinderace replied. He let that hang as the lights went down.

"The next morning, the same thing happened; and every morning after that, when the king looked out his bedroom window, he saw that the tree had again been stripped of its shining crystal fruit." Brenna narrated.

The lights came up on a beautiful throne room set. "Alex! Dorian! Brian!" the Cinderace called, prompting Ruby and two other Scorbunnies to dash onto the stage.

"Ye have called, my lord and father, and we have come--what is it you desire?" one Scorbunny asked.

The orchestra started a light jazzy melody before the Cinderace explained, in song, what was going on:

Surely you've heard?
The shining Leppa tree in the garden shines no more!
The guards have turned the palace upside down,
No one has admitted to the crime!

I'll put my pride at stake to bring my treasure back!
The crystal tree that has glittered for a thousand generations
Will you rise to the task
Of bringing back its light
Even if you must go to the end of the world?

"You have our word we will find out what is taking the crystal Leppa Berries." the Scorbunny smiled. "I will keep watch tonight, in hopes of finding a lead or catching the culprit in the act!" He struck a triumphant pose as the orchestra concluded the song.

The lights blinked over to Brenna again. "Despite the eldest son's greatest effort, as midnight approached his eyes grew heavy and he fell asleep. When he woke up the next morning, the shining Berries were gone. Then the middle son volunteered, but he fared no better than his brother had."

The lights came up on Ruby and the Cinderace on the throne room set again. "Dad? May I have a chance to watch over the miracle tree?" Ruby asked as she joined the Cinderace in the scene.

How can you succeed where your brothers have failed?
They both tried and fell under the spell of sleep...
the Cinderace sang over a sad melody.

Who am I to think
That you too will slip into a dream
And the miracle tree will never shine again?

Every heart has desires hidden deep within,
Ruby sang back in reply.
I know how much the miracle tree means to you!
I have something I want to protect!
There are times when I also have to fight,
And I will fight, to see the crystal shine again!

If your everlasting dream becomes nothing but a memory, I will never forgive myself!
No matter how far I may have to go,
The miracle tree will shine again!

The Cinderace smiled as the audience applauded Ruby's song. "Very well, Brian...I will let you keep watch over the miracle tree tonight."

To Be Continued...

Last edited:
Act 37: Our First Musical (part 2)

The lights came up on Ruby lying beneath the miracle tree in a sleeping bag. After a few tense moments, nine shining Talonflame puppets landed on the tree. While eight of them stayed on the tree, the ninth landed on the ground beside Ruby's sleeping bag.

Ruby watched in shock as this Talonflame puppet became a Ninetales! "Fear not, king's son--my ladies and and I come in peace." she assured Ruby,

"Who are you?" Ruby asked. "Where do you come from?"

We hail from a distant land, far across the sea... the Ninetales sang over a regal melody.
Our people suffer greatly, and long to be set free...
A Hydreigon brings terror upon the land, and many have tried
To slay the evil monster, but all of them have died...

"Is that why you're taking our Leppa Berries?" Ruby asked. "Because the Hydreigon takes all your food?"

The Ninetales nodded before singing again. I look at you,
You are as dazzling as the sun,
Just like the blooming flowers
There's a meaning to every encounter in life...
I believe
Our meeting here tonight is more than fate.

I'll know in my heart
That whenever we meet again,
You'll be known,
As the hero who saved us all!

"A hero?" Ruby asked as the music calmed down. "What do you mean?"

"The Hydreigon always takes ladies of pure heart to his lair, in addition to all our food." the Ninetales explained. "My name is Keira--should we ever fail to come visit you at night, that is a sign the Hydreigon has captured us."

Ruby nodded. This small seed of love is in bloom... she sang over the music.
And it reaches out towards the stars...
From a little spark from deep within the heart
It is love that brought us here.

I will not back down, I will not give up
I will lead you home--if you'll take my hand!
I will fight for you, I would die for you,
As we travel to the promised land.

My heart, it longs for you!
And I would welcome you as my own!
And once again, the bonds of the stars
They will bring a miracle!

The audience applauded as Ruby's song ended. The Ninetales, meanwhile, noticed the lights starting to brighten. "The sun is rising...it is time for us to go back. Thank you for the Leppa Berries, young hero."

"Wait!" Ruby called. "Will you leave one Berry behind for me?"

The Ninetales smiled. "Let me give you two--one for you, and one to take to your father."

"Thank you." Ruby smiled as she accepted two prop shining Leppa Berries. "Bye!" she called as the Ninetales disappeared along with the Talonflame puppets. "May your journey home be safe!"

She looked at the glittering props in her paws. "Well, now we know that whoever was taking these wasn't doing so to cause trouble--it was only a band of Talonflames who rule over an oppressed land."

The lights went down, then came up on the throne room again, where Ruby met the Cinderace. "Dad? I found out who was taking the shining Leppa Berries...."

"Oh?" the Cinderace asked.

"It was no thief." Ruby explained as the other Scorbunnies arrived. "It was a group of princesses from a foreign land, who groan under the oppression of a Hydreigon. Our miracle tree is the only way they can keep their people from starving."

"That's horrible..." the Scorbunny playing the eldest son sighed.

"But it also doesn't help that the Hydreigon is taking ladies in that land, and holding them prisoner." Ruby went on. "Should it come to pass that the princesses do not come to the miracle tree, I promised them that I would rescue them--no matter what it takes!"

She offered the two prop Berries. "The high princess left me two of the miracle Leppa Berries as proof of our meeting."

The Cinderace smiled. "Well done, my faithful and heroic son--you have more than earned what I promised the one that found out what was taking the miracle Leppa Berries."

He touched Ruby's shoulders with a sword. "I hereby name you the crown prince, and you will follow after me when I join Arceus in heaven."

"We too, pledge our loyalty to Brian!" the two other Scorbunnies agreed as they bowed before Ruby.

"If it happens that you must rescue these ladies, we stand ready to help in whatever way we can." the Scorbunny playing the middle son assured Ruby as the lights went down.

"For a while, all was well in the kingdom." Brenna narrated over an interlude. "Keira and her ladies visited Brian in the garden every night, and their conversations lasted well into the morning."

She intoned over a uneasy melody "But one night, what Prince Brian feared the most came to pass--Keira and her ladies did not come." She let that hang as the lights came up on a hall in the palace.

Ruby arrived some moments later, a red and gold cape draped on her back. "Supplies for my journey, check...my sword, check...my bow, check..."

"Brian? What are you doing up?" the Scorbunny playing the eldest son asked as Ruby made several more trips to get some props.

"What I have feared for several months now has finally come to pass..." Ruby explained. "Keira and her ladies have not come."

"Do you even know where to find the Hydreigon that captured them?" the Scorbunny asked as Ruby stashed some of the props into a traveling bag.

"I have an idea...I asked the court wizard if he knew of the Hydreigon, and he said that he lives in a cave far to the east." Ruby replied. "He hunts at night, and sleeps during the day."

"What's going on?" the Cinderace, now in ornate nightclothes, asked as he arrived in the scene with the Scorbunny playing the middle son.

"The time for Brian's quest has come." the Scorbunny playing the eldest son explained as Ruby finished organizing the props.

The Cinderace smiled as the orchestra played an underscore evoking Ruby's song from earlier. "No matter what happens on your quest, Brian, our well wishes and blessings go with you. May Arceus watch over you, and keep you safe."

"...and may you return to us with tales of glory to tell!" the eldest Scorbunny agreed. The Scorbunny playing the middle son nodded in agreement.

Ruby smiled, then sang a reprise of her song from before. This small seed of love is in bloom...
And it reaches out towards the stars...
From a little spark from deep within the heart
It is love that brought us here.

I will not back down, I will not give up
I will bring her home--if she takes my hand!

She looked out of a window, where the sun would be rising. I will fight for you, I would die for you,
As we travel to the promised land.

My heart, it longs for you!
And I would welcome you as my own!
And once again, the bonds of the stars
They will bring a miracle!

More cheers filled the air as the song ended, and the Cinderace and Ruby embraced...

To Be Continued...

Last edited:
Act 38: Our First Musical (part 3)

After the orchestra finished an interlude, the lights came up on the set of a lake. Ruby arrived in the scene some moments later, where she noticed a Goldeen puppet flopping on the "shore" of the "lake". "Oh, a Goldeen!" Ruby noted. "I don't know how you ended up here on the shore, but let me put you back in the water."

With that, she carefully set the Golden puppet in the "water" on the set. The audience gasped in awe as a blue light materialized before Ruby, making a sapphire drop in her paws. "Thank you, young prince." a female voice began from offstage. "I am Undine, the queen of the sea. As you have done a good deed for me, now I will always do a good deed for you in return. If you ever need my aid, remember this holy song: 'Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...'"

"Rou iitsa ron selga vichii...got it!" Ruby smiled as the lights went down.

The orchestra started another interlude before the lights came up on a forest set. When Ruby arrived, she noticed the Fennekin feigning a struggle in a prop trap. "Oh...a Fennekin caught in a trap...let me get you out of there."

After carefully lifting the trap hinge, the Fennekin eagerly bounded out of the trap. "Thank you for releasing me, hero--my name is Rena. I look after this forest, and all that call the forest home. Since you helped me out, let me help you in return."

She offered Ruby a prop red jewel. "Take this gem--if you ever need my help, remember this song: 'Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...'

"Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...got it!" Ruby smiled. "Thanks, and safe travels!!" She waved goodbye as the Fennekin romped offstage and the lights went down.

The lights came on the set of a different part of the forest some time later. Some in the audience oohed and ahed over the majestic Braviary puppet "struggling" to get out of a thorn bush. "Poor Braviary..." Ruby mused as she entered the scene. "Let me get you out of those thorns."

After carefully edging the puppet's stuck wing free, the Braviary fluttered before Ruby. "Thank you, young hero...I am Arashi, the guardian of the skies. "Since you did a kind deed for me, let me help you in return on your travels.

The puppet then conjured a prop emerald. "Take this jewel--it contains the essence of the skies. Should you ever need my help, remember this song: 'Karuto, iichiida shou...'

"Karuto, iichiida shou...got it!" Ruby smiled before hugging the puppet. "Thank you..."

"Anytime..." the puppet replied. "May the winds guide you on your quest."

---------

The lights came up on the set of a cave, where Keira was feigning crying in a corner. When Ruby entered the scene, she gasped. "Keira?"

The Ninetales looked up and gasped. "Prince Brian? Is it really you?"

"Yes--I've come to rescue you, just like I promised." Ruby replied.

"Aw"s filled the garden as Ruby and Keira embraced over a triumphant theme. "But what about your ladies?" Ruby remembered. "Where are they?"

"My ladies managed to escape, so they are safe from the Hydreigon." the Ninetales replied. "They are back at the palace, awaiting my safe return."

Ruby thought for a moment as the music turned somber. "The next question is how to escape ourselves...."

"We obviously can't just ride away--the Hydreigon would surely catch us and eat us both." the Ninetales cautioned. "He is faster than any mortal Ponyta."

"Well, have you heard of anyone or anything faster?" Ruby asked.

"One night, not long after my ladies escaped, I overheard the Hydreigon bragging to some friends of his that he had been plotting to steal Epona, the god-Ponyta that belongs to the holy Delphox Kitsune." the Ninetales explained over a divine motif. "Luckily, the Hydreigon has not made any progress in this plan, so if you obtain Epona first, we could escape that way."

"Okay! I'll go ask Kitsune tomorrow!" Ruby smiled.

"Kitsune won't give Epona to just anyone." the Ninetales cautioned. "If anyone wants anything from her, they have to serve her three days. Those that serve faithfully receive whatever they wish. Those that serve faithfully and still fail go on to serve Kitsune forever. The evil and impure that fail, meet their holy judgement in divine flame."

She assured Ruby. "But you are a brave, kind, and unselfish person, so you should have no problem with whatever Kitsune asks of you."

"Even if she asks me to go to the ends of the world and slay a thousand monsters, I will do anything to set you free, or die trying!" Ruby vowed as the lights went down...

---------

Ruby's voice singing Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... in the darkness and the sound effect of a rock rolling away revealed the set of a beautiful jewel studded cave, where Charlotte, in the role of Kitsune, met Ruby on the stage. "Good day, milady!" Ruby smiled.

"Good day to you, young prince. What brings you here to this sacred place?" Charlotte asked.

"I would like to take service with you." Ruby replied.

Charlotte nodded as the orchestra started a jazzy melody. Hold on, wait a moment,
Are you sure you want to do this?
You understand what happens
If you try my task, and still fail?

I understand the risk I am taking,
For someone I love's heart is breaking,
And the only way to set her free
Is a divine undertaking!
Ruby sang back.

She went on I won't run away, even from my failures
Even though I bend, I will not break!
I'll maintain a noble gaze!
And with it, a noble heart!

The audience gasped in awe as part of the set cleared away to reveal a band of dancing Braxiens dancing on an elegant staircase. A rose by the name of love
Has bloomed in your heart...
Charlotte sang as she and Ruby weaved and whirled through the dancing Braxiens around them.

By coming to this place,
That love is reborn...

In your eyes
Is forever reflected the truth...
Ruby sang back.

In my heart, I can feel it,

You can grasp this miracle!
Charlotte triumphantly sang.

The audience roared with applause as the epic dance number continued on...

To Be Continued...

Act 39: The Blazing Tale of a Hero (part 1)

"Doing a musical was so much fun!" Ruby raved as the group departed the Garden of Melodies a few days later. "I can't wait for the next one we do..."

"Overall, I think we did well for our first time doing a musical." Lita agreed. "Granted, it was still rough around the edges, but so was our first play, too."

"It seems like an eternity since we did 'How Ho'oh, Lugia, and Jirachi Were Saved....'" Shimmer mused as the red tinged grasslands the group had been walking on gave way to a red-brown mountain path. "But every troupe has to start somewhere."

Brenna thought for a moment as the caravan rounded a corner in the path. "I mean, if we could do that play over again with what we know now..."

"I could probably think of a hundred things we could cut and tweak from that old script..." Ruby agreed. "But that's not what I wanna do for Moltres..."

Lita smiled. "I'm sure Moltres likes hearing stories about her exploits helping heroes...so do we want to do this as a play or a musical?"

Murmurs of "a play" answered her question. "All right--we'll just do a straight play this time, since we're tired from our first musical...

---------

It was hard to tell if the red sky signaled a sunset, or the glow of lava as the group neared the peak of Mt. Rubin some time later. "The lady Moltres is here now...what business do you have here?" a Arcanine asked as the caravan approached.

"We are a humble troupe of actors on a great journey..." Ruby explained. "Would Her Ladyship be interested in a performance?"

The Arcanine conferred with his partner for a moment, who hurried off towards the peak. When he returned, the first Arcanine replied "Her Ladyship would be thrilled to have you perform--she has ordered the Fiery Stage prepared for you."

"She has also ordered the Pokemon of the mountain to gather here." the second Arcanine agreed as he escorted the group and their gear to the peak. "If you need time to set up and make preparations, take all the time you need."

"Wow..." Ruby gasped as she saw a stage carved into the rock that glowed red-gold with lava. "The lava's a clever way to create lighting..."

I'm glad you think so... a beautiful phoenix Pokemon replied as it fluttered onto a perch overlooking the peak and the stage. The Fiery Stage has stood here for thousands of years--I have seen many a great performance on its burning boards.

"I-I hope you don't mind seeing our attempt at the many tales featuring you..." Ruby stammered. "Or would you prefer to see something else?"

Perform any tale you like. Moltres assured the nervous Scorbunny. So long as you put your hearts into it, even the most horrible, mistake riddled mess will be enjoyable to me.

Ruby nodded. "Okay...we would like to perform a thrilling quest of a young prince, and how he defeated the Nightmare Pokemon Darkrai to save his mother."

How exciting! Moltres smiled as more Fire types and bird Pokemon arrived to watch. I await your performance with baited breath!

---------

"...so please enjoy 'The Queen's Rescue.' Shimmer concluded her introduction some time later.

The peak rang with applause as Shimmer exited the Fiery Stage. The orchestra then started a majestic overture that evoked a time of high adventure, magic, and mystery.

Once the brass' exciting and bombastic main theme had given way to the strings and the flutes, Brenna appeared in a spotlight at stage right. "Long ago, when this world was full of a deeper magic and terrifying monsters, there lived a king--whose name does not concern us--with his queen and their three sons, Alex, Dimitri and Peter, who were all handsome and clever." she began over the music.

The orchestra's theme turned somber. "One day the queen, who had gone on a walk on the open plains, failed to return to the palace." Brenna went on, to some gasps and "oh no"s from the audience. Though the royal army searched far and wide, no trace could be found of her. She had disappeared into thin air." She let that hang as the curtains opened on a majestic palace set, where a variety of Pokemon and a Cinderace in royal garb were all talking with each other.

After a few tense moments, a Ninetales stood up, quieting the nonsense dialogue. "Your Majesty! We have concluded that the queen has been spirited away by Darkrai, the Nightmare Pokemon."

Gasps filled the air as the Ninetales went on "While his own realm and castle are deep beneath this world, he possesses many other strongholds in the land of mortals, and it has long been known that his most beautiful and well guarded palaces are on the tops of the highest and most inaccessible mountains in the world. It is, however, pointless to fight against him, for his palaces are enchanted by the darkest of magics, and Darkrai himself cannot be killed by mortal means, since he carries his life not in his body, but in a secret place that is known only to him. We beseech you, therefore, to choose another bride, for your lost queen you will never see again until Arceus returns triumphant."

The Cinderace froze in horror as the orchestra started a sad melody. "No...no...I love Kenna too deeply to choose another!"

He snapped to summon a few Raboots in herald's garb. "Travel to every kingdom far and wide, and tell all the peoples of the world that I offer wealth and honors to the one who brings Kenna back to me alive."

"Yes, milord!" the Raboots chorused as they hurried offstage.

The orchestra started an adventurous interlude. "Daring heroes, brave adventurers, and great generals came in response to the call, each of them promising valiant deeds, and the king bade each of them take from the royal treasury sufficient gold for his needs." Brenna narrated from her nook. "But though many came and many went, there was no news of the missing queen." She let that hang as the lights came up on a beautiful royal garden set, where the Cinderace was thinking hard about something.

After a few tense seconds, Ruby and two other Scorbunnies in royal grab arrived in the scene. "I think our father is out of his mind," one Scorbunny grumbled. "These boasting heroes who come from afar are galloping off with all his treasures. He is a fool to put faith in them. I imagine I could do as well, if not better, than them."

"Doubtless they are but sorry scoundrels who play upon our lord and father's credulity. With a tenth of the sum that has been given to them I could find our mother myself." the second Scorbunny agreed.

"Not so, my brothers." Ruby cautioned. "If Darkrai the Nightmare Pokemon has her, it will take a strong heart to bring her back, and who knows where that may be found? Would, however, that our lord and father send us abroad to do our best!"

The Scorbunny playing the eldest son thought for a moment. "You raise a fair point, Peter...we will see if Father also sends us forth on the same quest!"

To Be Continued...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom