• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon names based on one single word

Te-em

I want to rp!
Reaction score
There are a lot of names based on one single word. Some I think are good names, but some are boring since it's just one word. What do you think of these names.
Examples are:
Seel
Gloom
Raikou (lightning in Japanese)
Golem
Lizardo
Cocoon

Are these names a lack of ideas? I don't think Fire, Freezer and Thunder are, since they kind of shows what the birds represent, and simple names doesn't have to be bad. And I like that these 3 names have the same ending.

But Cocoon is very boring. What do you think of them?

well Kukuna/Metapod (dont know which poke cocoon is) have never realy been that exiting.

Furret and Seel suck as names.

Kakuna sounds better than Cocoon, but prefer Ootachi and Pauwau better than Furret and Seel. Golem is the worst Pokemon name ever, since a lot of other games have used it already.

Well, in defense, most Japanese kids would probably find simple English "cool sounding", in the same way we find Yanma (dragonfly) and Raikou (lighting) cool.

Raikou is the same in Japanese and Yanma is Yanyanma in Japanese. I don't know why NoA wanted to remove "yan" from the name, making it a simple word, anyway.

And yes, electrode is another one-word-name . . .

I always thought it was a combination of dew and "gon" from dragon. But Dugong i more likely. I like it how they put the word dew in it.

Magneton, but it's pretty good. Slowpoke is, duh, but I like that one too. And Lickilicky, for that matter. I also guess Muk, Grimer, Koffing, Wheezing, and Cherrim are, too.

And then you have Ekans and Arbok, Eevee, Jirachi, Girafarig, Scyther, Jynx, Deoxys, Graveler, Chansey/Lucky...yeah, I'm going through my folder.

MAYBE Meowth and Persian, provided the "mouth" and "purr" puns were unintentional.

^Oh, I didn't think of it like that. I thought the just flicked the E out of ferret and replaced it with a U.

Poligon from the word polygon. Yes, I know it's Porygon in English, with a hard "r" replacing the "l" of polygon, but it really should be prenounced closer to the actual word, so does it count?

I don't count japanese names because most translations suck and you never know which version is right

Abra (Casey in Japanese, either from Edward Cayce or keshitobu)
Kadabra (Yungerer, based on Yuri Geller. Way more interesting than Kadabra)
Alakazam (Foodin/Houdin, probably based on Houdini or Houdin)

I always think the Japanese names are way more interesting and have more of a story to them

Me, too, but people say they suck because they are too simple, like being too clear what word(s) they are based on.

Tangela would be one, right?
Monjara in japanese, I adore both of them.

But Meduza would've been the better choice for ihm.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom