• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon names you mispronounced?

The thing about Arceus, pronouncing it with a soft "C" makes it sound like "arse". Which is a very degrading name for a being revered in myth as a creation deity. So whether it's the correct pronunciation or not, I choose to pronounce it differently based on personal preference.

I just realised this as well. Then it's another 'ur anus' joke.

Another name I've been unsure about is Charizard, since I've been pronouncing the last part like in 'lizard'. But when I watched a dubbed movie, they said Charizaard, almost like in the Japanese name.

Last edited:
Used to pronounce Suicune like swee-ceen until I watched the anime..

Theres quite a lot of others, But thats the most noticable.

I tend to pronounce Sceptile and Scizor with an extra s sound at the beginning, as if both the s and the c make a sound, instead of just SEP-tile and SI-zor. It sounds cooler in my opinion.

You mean like "Skeptile" and "Skizor"?

As for Arceus, I'm definitely in the "Parkay" camp on how to pronounce that name.

Surprised no one said Rayquaza. I used (and still do) pronounce it as Ray-kwa-za. The anime says Ray-kway-za. I don't know whether I'm right or wrong, but I still maintain the way I say it.

You mean like "Skeptile" and "Skizor"?

As for Arceus, I'm definitely in the "Parkay" camp on how to pronounce that name.

No. More like sseptile and ssisor. Not the snakey way, the first s is pretty short. Sorry if that's confusing.

As for Rayquaza, ray-kwa-za definitely flows better than ray-kway-za.

Also, I still get stuck on Alomomola occasionally.

Not a pokemon's name but a person's. I was watching Jeopardy yesterday and Alex said the name Lorelei as Lore-uh-lie, and I've always pronounced it as Lore -el-ee. And to be honest I was shocked. I don't know if I'm going to pronounce it like the former XD

Last edited:
Apparently Arceus is pronounced like Arkeus.

So, yeah, that I pronounced wrong for years, but I learned about the right way to say it a while ago. for the record, I don't care how it is actually pronounced, I'm just going to say (Ar-See-Us) even though it's wrong, because (Ar-Kee-Us) sounds stupid to me.

Apparently Arceus is pronounced like Arkeus.

So, yeah, that I pronounced wrong for years, but I learned about the right way to say it a while ago. for the record, I don't care how it is actually pronounced, I'm just going to say (Ar-See-Us) even though it's wrong, because (Ar-Kee-Us) sounds stupid to me.

The original name pronounces A-ru-seh-uus. Just prnounce it that way.

I used to have trouble with Kyogre pronouncing it as Kyo(as in Tokyo)-gu-re, not as Ka-i-o-gur

Also Dialga. Was it Dia(as in Diamond)l-ga or Di-ah-ru-ga?

Surprised no one said Rayquaza. I used (and still do) pronounce it as Ray-kwa-za. The anime says Ray-kway-za. I don't know whether I'm right or wrong, but I still maintain the way I say it.

I agree with you, I was pretty suprised first time I heard it since I had been pronouncing it wrong for so long.

Also, suicune, I always said sooey-cune, still say it sometimes but I'm trying to get rid of it. Sounds kinda weird.

My screen-reader's more at fault in this regard than I am. I try to pronounce things correctly, but I use NVDA to read the names far more often than I watch the anime (they're doing reruns of the DP series over here right now, which is annoying the daylights out of me), so the screen-reader's pronunciations get stuck in my head. I've fixed many of them in the program's speech dictionary, but here are some of the ones I simply cannot get to cooperate.

Gallade: I cannot get it to stress the second syllable for the life of me, so it says "Gal-aid" instead of "GaLADE".
Buizel: Ugh, this makes me cringe every time I hear it. NVDA says "Beu-iz-l" instead of "Bweasel", and I can't get it to treat "bw" as one sound. It always says the "b" separately when I try to correct it and I've had to give up until I find some kind of solution.
Jirachi: NVDA pronounces it "Jir-ach-ee". The emphasis is fine, but making it pronounce the "a" as "ah" ruins it and makes it sound wrong.

Most of the time, I can get it to cooperate, thankfully. Of course, I have to know the pronunciations first.

Also, waaaaayyyyy back when Pokémon was the new cool thing, my older sister had some Pokémon cards, and she pronounced Ponyta as "Pon-eeta", stressing the second syllable. That still makes me shudder even now.

I constantly have a hard time remembering/pronouncing the x legendary... Lol

Fred

Rayquaza i thought was ray-qwa-za instead of proper ray-qway-za (like quazar).
Regigigas i thought was reji-gigas (like gigabyte) but now i don't know if it's reji-g-eye-gas?
Milotic i thought was mil-lot-ic until i learned it was from Venus de Milo.
Arceus' name is from arc angel so really should be ark-eus.

i blame English spelling for having lots of written ways to pronounce different phonemes.

I used to pronounce Suicune as "suicide" but with a hard "n" at the end. I'm not even sure why, seeing as there's no "ie" sound on the last syllable...

Rayquaza i thought was ray-qwa-za instead of proper ray-qway-za (like quazar).
Regigigas i thought was reji-gigas (like gigabyte) but now i don't know if it's reji-g-eye-gas?
Milotic i thought was mil-lot-ic until i learned it was from Venus de Milo.
Arceus' name is from arc angel so really should be ark-eus.

i blame English spelling for having lots of written ways to pronounce different phonemes.

Regigigas is pronounced the way you thought, but with just a little more stress on the third syllable i.e. "Regi-Giggas". At least, that's how they said it in the anime. I remember because I happened to record that episode when it screened and watched it several times.

Milotic is another name NVDA won't cooperate with. it says "My-lottic" instead of "Milo-tic", and I can't get it to say it without putting unwanted stress on the third syllable. :mad:

The reason for the Deino line being all weird and strange is, as somebody else already pointed out, because his entire line is just a pun on counting in German. dEINo (eins is German for one), ZWEIlous (Zwei is two) and hyDREIgon (Drei is three), all have one, two, and three heads respectively. Once I realized the German connection I started pronouncing them like the German words.

I still trip over myself and get confused whenever I try to say Mienfoo and Mienshao. I didn't know how to even approach it, so half the time I was like "Me-ehn... mine... mi-nee... meen... me.. that fighting type!!"

For the longest time I couldn't pronounce Azumarill correct. I put all the emphasis on the ZU, making it sounds like "Uh-ZU-muh-rill."

Dedenne still confuses me. deh-den? Deh-denny? Duh-dee-nee? Deh-dee-nee? I just call it the fairy mouse thing. xD

It doesn't help that I have a slight stutter and trip over my words half the time in real life, so a lot of times I'll horribly botch names that I know full well how to pronounce. xD

thanks Imaginatrix!!

Anyone here put an extra N in Shedinja? I've seen & heard ShedNinja before and had to check.

Phione was a tough one to crack, but it's basically like Fiona, but ends in long ee sound instead of -a (had to double check that one too)

I apparently got Mienfoo and Mienshao wrong for a long time. Also Deino... And I used to mispronounce Suicune really bad, to the point where when my brother said it right I wondered what he was talking about. I think I said SOO-keen or something like that.

All the legendary beasts. When the games first came out I was certain they were pronounced Soo-ih-kyoon, En-tay and Rye-koh.
I also called Articuno ARCTICUNO for the longest time...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom