• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon names you mispronounced?

Guess I've been prnouncing Meinshao wrong then...

I did Xerneas as X erneas.

For the longest time I couldn't pronounce Azumarill correct. I put all the emphasis on the ZU, making it sounds like "Uh-ZU-muh-rill."

Dedenne still confuses me. deh-den? Deh-denny? Duh-dee-nee? Deh-dee-nee? I just call it the fairy mouse thing. xD

It doesn't help that I have a slight stutter and trip over my words half the time in real life, so a lot of times I'll horribly botch names that I know full well how to pronounce. xD

...But, that's exactly how they say Azumarill in the anime! You were saying it right the whole time!

Looking at the spelling, I would guess Dedenne is pronounced "Ded-enn-eh" with the short "E" sound like they do in Japanese, but we won't know until it shows up in the Anime will we?

I don't know why, but I used to mispronounce Pineco all the time. I pronounced is as pie-nee-ko instead of pine-ko.

And that with Pineco being one of my favorite Pokémon XD

Meganium blew my mind when they first said it in the anime. Me and all of my friends pronounced it "mega-knee-um" until then. I guess it's actually "meg-gain-ium."

Pretty sure I mispronounce, like, 50% of Pokémon names. But when I was three I used to call Pikachu 'Pick-ah-chuu'..,

...Mienshao, I guess. Whoops. Especially embarrassing because I've fully trained three Mienshao in my lifetime.

Magikarp - Pronounced it with a hard g for some reason
Ledyba, Ledian - First syllable was like the word "led" instead of "lay", dunno why I didn't just use common sense and say it like ladybug
Bellossom - "BELL-oh-som" instead of "bell-AWE-som"
Misdreavus - ...I don't even remember. I just remember tripping out a little when I heard it for the first time in the anime, lol.
Pineco - Pronounced it correctly at first (two syllables) then for some reason I decided it should have three wtf
Piloswine - Like "pillow" instead of "PILE-low"
Houndour - The classic "HOUND-door" instead of "HOUND-our"
Elekid - "e-LEC-kid" not "EL-uh-kid"
Raikou - Classic "RAI-koo"
Poochyena, Mightyena - Short e sound instead of long e sound
Gardevoir - My brain somehow processed it as "Gardevoor"
Manectric - Just figured this out, I feel so dumb lol. Anyway, "MAN-nuh-tric"
Illumise - Like how it looks, instead of the "me-zay" part at the end
Vibrava - "veeb-RAH-vah" instead of "VY-brah-vah"...yeah, I dunno
Milotic - Pronounced it like "melodic"
Tropius - Short o sound instead of long o sound
Chimecho - "CHIME-cho", the "echo" part flew over my head
Regice - It'll always be "regi-ice" in my eyes
Rayquaza - Like everyone else, "quah" instead of "quay." I still feel weird using the correct pronounciation, it's like rejecting a part of my childhood
Turtwig - "TURT-wig" instead or "TUR-twig"
Budew - "BU-doo" not "BUH-doo" lol
Roserade - "ROH-zer-ade" instead of two syllables "ROSE-rade"
Riolu - Long i instead of short i
Skorupi - "SCOR-uh-pee" instead of "sco-ROO-pee"
Drapion - "dray" instead of "drap"
Uxie - didn't even try pronouncing this one before I heard it in anime
Dialga - Long i instead of short i, I still forget sometimes
Giratina - similar but "gair" instead of "gear"
Phione - "fee-OWN" instead of "fee-OH-nay"
Arceus - I still pronounce it with a soft c, rolls off the tongue better

Didn't include Gen V and VI Pokémon because I was 15 by the time BW came out and started paying more attention. Not enough, I guess, considering I got Mienshao wrong :p I tried writing a more comprehensive list at first, but gave up by the time I got to Raikou. :S There were just too many, lmao... So I only listed the notable ones. Still adds up to quite a bit, holy crap...I was terrible at this.

How is Exeggutor pronounced anyway? Is the first syllable stressed or the second? I always did the former.

Last edited:
I've mostly figured out the pronunciations myself. I stopped watching the anime late Kanto/early Johto, so I don't remember many pronunciations from there (if any at all), and the only Pokemon media with voices I continued to watch were the movies (starting with M08, Japanese only), so even today I figure them out myself, which has probably resulted in a lot of mispronunciations, but I really couldn't care less.

Besides, quite some official English pronunciations sound terrible anyway, like Pine-ko, Ray-kway-zah or Ar-kay-us. /shudders

Houndour - The classic "HOUND-door" instead of "HOUND-our"
Raikou - Classic "RAI-koo"
Manectric - Just figured this out, I feel so dumb lol. Anyway, "MAN-nuh-tric"
Illumise - Like how it looks, instead of the "me-zay" part at the end
Rayquaza - Like everyone else, "quah" instead of "quay." I still feel weird using the correct pronounciation, it's like rejecting a part of my childhood
Roserade - "ROH-zer-ade" instead of two syllables "ROSE-rade"
Drapion - "dray" instead of "drap"
Dialga - Long i instead of short i, I still forget sometimes
Phione - "fee-OWN" instead of "fee-OH-nay"

I still do all of these. I didn't even know some of them were wrong. I like these mispronunciations better though, so I'll probably keep using them anyway.

Also, when I was really young and played Pokemon Yellow (I never got past Viridian Forest because the game would always reset) I thought Caterpie was pronounced Cater-pie, like caterpillar and pie. :lol:

I remember I used to pronounce Suicune "Soo-soon."

I also called Giratina "jir-at-ina" for some reason. I'm pretty sure I miss pronounced a ton of other Pokemon, but those are the only ones I can think of right now.

I used to pronounce Gyarados as "gear-dose" as a kid.
And Gengar as "Jen-jar".

I also called Giratina "jir-at-ina" for some reason.

You mean it's not? Does it have a hard G (like 'gear' not soft like 'giant') sound at the beginning?

It is pronounced: GEAR-a-TEE-nuh.

I'm stupid, so this is my own fault. I've been pronouncing Doublade like: DOO-blade, even though I know it CLEARLY comes from Double. I really have no idea...

I never pronounce Vivillon correctly D: (was saying it like it's spelled, not the French "yon" sound I guess it has at the end)
I honestly just realized I pronounce Suicune and Raikou incorrectly from this thread, so there's another set.
I'm sure there's others I'm missing too...

Let me try to pronounce all of the X/Y English names I think I'm mispronouncing as a french speaker :

Chesnaught = Chess-note
Braixen = Braille-ksun
Greninja = Gray-ninja
Pyroar = Pie-ro-are
Florges = Florj (I'm not sure the S at the end is supposed to be pronounced or not)
Meowstic = Moustique (mosquito in french)
Honedge = Ownage
Malamar = Malaba- no, it's Malamar
Skrelp = a corruption of "Scalp"
Clauncher = Clone-cher
Clawitzer = Clavitzer ? (as if the W was supposed to be pronounced the german way)
Amaura = Amora (par amour du goût. Only french people will get that phrase).
Goomy = Gooby (pls)
Trevenant = Tré-venom-t
Bergmite = Berk-mate
Avalugg = Ava-log

I'm pretty sure I've butchered every name somehow, at least once. I know I always called Tyrogue "tyra-gyuu". Like what e ven

I insist on mispronouncing Xerneas and Yveltal. I say Ex-ur-ne-us and Yeh(like a scooping sound)-vel-tal. I know how they're pronounced too, I just think it sounds better my way xD
Just realized I've been mispronouncing Gyarados too... I've been missing that first "a".

Last edited:
Let me try to pronounce all of the X/Y English names I think I'm mispronouncing as a french speaker :
Chesnaught = Chess-note
Braixen = Braille-ksun
Greninja = Gray-ninja
Pyroar = Pie-ro-are
Florges = Florj (I'm not sure the S at the end is supposed to be pronounced or not)
Meowstic = Moustique (mosquito in french)
Honedge = Ownage
Malamar = Malaba- no, it's Malamar
Skrelp = a corruption of "Scalp"
Clauncher = Clone-cher
Clawitzer = Clavitzer ? (as if the W was supposed to be pronounced the german way)
Amaura = Amora (par amour du goût. Only french people will get that phrase).
Goomy = Gooby (pls)
Trevenant = Tré-venom-t
Bergmite = Berk-mate
Avalugg = Ava-log

Je suis une anglaise qui parle un peu de francais, et je vous aiderai le mieux que possible.

Braixen, Greninja, Malamar, Amaura, Goomy, Trevenant : correct

Chesnaut - chess-(astro)naut
Pyroar - Pie-roar
Florges - je crois avec le son -es mais je ne suis pas sure.
Meowstic - mi-ow-stick
Honedge - hone (le e silent)-edge
Clauncher - claw-ncher
Clawitzer - claw-itzer
Bergmite - berg-mite (comme l'insecte en anglais)
Avalugg - ava-lugg (comme le mot anglais 'lung' sans n. vous etes pres)

J'espere que c'est util.

Tropius - Short o sound instead of long o sound

How is Exeggutor pronounced anyway? Is the first syllable stressed or the second? I always did the former.

Poochyena and Mightyena are pronounced as if they have two "n"s in the anime. I was therefore slightly surprised when I saw how they were spelled on Bulbapedia, although it made some sense when I thought about it. You pronounced them correctly according to the anime. The same goes for Tropius, since its name incorporates "Tropical". I don't know where you got the idea that you were saying them incorrectly, but if it was from someone on YouTube I wouldn't trust them. A lot of people pronounce things wrong on there.

Exeggutor is pronounced with stress on the second syllable, like in "executor" or "executive". The "or" at the end is also pronounced clearly (think of the Bulbasaur line if you don't get my meaning).

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom