• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Natures

Ghost Diplocaulus

Detroit SMAAAASH! Eevee style.
Reaction score
Not sure if a thread like this already exists, but I've been wondering about what might be the Natures of Ash's and other main characters' Pokemon. In the SM saga it was confirmed that Sophocles's Vikavolt has a Mild Nature, which I think is the first time a Pokemon's Nature has been stated outright in the anime itself. It made me wonder about other Pokemon, since we might actually be able to guess some of them by looking at their personalities. Though interestingly enough, there are certain events in the games that give away Pokemon owned by anime characters that do confirm their Natures, such as:
  • Ash's Pikachu is either Hardy or Naughty (events tend to flip-fop a lot on this one; the Ash's Hat Pikachus are all Hardy, but there have been other Ash's Pikachu events that peg him as Naughty. I personally tend to think that Hardy's the more accurate one due to Pikachu's general tenacity, but a case could be made for Naughty by looking at the earlier series when Pikachu had a meaner and more mischievous streak to him even after he started trusting Ash. Then again, it's possible that in the anime Pokemon can just change their Natures outright, so who even knows)
  • Ash's Charizard is Adamant (according to an I Choose You! tie-in event. Or at least that incarnation of him is, but since it's heavily implied that it's still the same character even in that alternate reality it's very likely that "prime" Charizard is Adamant as well)
  • Ash's Unfezant is Hardy
  • Iris's Axew is Naïve
  • Cilan's Pansage is Brave
  • Serena's Braixen is Hardy
  • Serena's Pancham is Adamant
  • Lillie's Vulpix is Modest
  • Kiawe's Turtonator is Brave
  • Mallow's Tsareena is Naïve
There's probably more events that I'm missing, but these are the ones I could find. It got me thinking about the other Pokemon, though. I think there are several that could be narrowed down by analizing their personalities and/or by looking at what kinds of foods they like... assuming that Natures, like in the games, influence a Pokemon's tastes; if that were the case, then Ash's Noivern's Nature would be Lonely, Mild, Hasty, or Gentle due to his dislike for sour apples, for example. Him aside, though, here's a few of my personal guesses:
  • Ash's Squirtle- Impish
  • Ash's Sceptile- Serious
  • Ash's Corphish- Sassy
  • Ash's Snivy- Calm
  • Ash's Lucario- Rash
  • Ash's Farfetch'd- Adamant
  • Ash's Dragonite- Gentle
  • Serena's Sylveon- Timid
  • Goh's Cinderace- Jolly
  • Goh's Sobble- Timid
I want to hear (read? XD) other people's thoughts, though. What do you think might be the Natures of the MC's Pokemon? Do you have any guesses for other Pokemon? Do you agree with the few guesses I made or not?

While Ash's Greninja from the Sun and Moon Special Demo would have its nature reset upon being transferred to the full game; prior to being transferred, Ash's Greninja would have a hardy nature

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom