• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon; New Game Cycle

Extroth

Face the Darkness
Reaction score
So, many have expressed concern that a yearly realease schedule for Pokemon games is to much. But on the other hand there are around seven threads on these forums talking about and anticipating new games.

I have made this thread to specifically talk about how often we should get Pokemon games what kind of games they should be and why. We can also discuss what kind of realease schedule should be used. Should the realease schedule be predictable or unpredictable, and why?

I'd like to see an unpredictable release schedule that lines up more with the hardware release schedule. No more filler generations that only last 2 or 3 years, if we need to fill out 5 or 6 years of the hardware lifespan we can have 5 or 6 year Pokemon generations. As for how often, we could probably use more 2 year gaps. If it takes a 4th or 5th game to fill this, fine, there's plenty of ways they can keep things interesting without a new generation (there's plenty of remakes or sequels they could work on).

I think it should be like this:

-New generation main pair. (example: 2013 october)
-Remake/Other main series game: One year and a half after the main pair. (example: 2015 april)
-Third game: One year after the remake. (example: 2016 april)
-Next generation:One year and a half after the previous generation's third game. (example: 2017 october)

That way, we have enough time to enjoy the most important games of the generation: the main pair and the third game. I also like remakes being released in the middle of a generation, as it adds a lot of value to the third version. And please, fill the gaps with good spin-off games, I'm getting tired of all these childish titles we've gotten since Gen IV ended.

I would suggest this:

A new Pokemon game is released.

Then we get to play it for a whole year without any talking of a following game.

Then a new game is ANNOUNCED. Then the hype starts.

Then six months later the new one is released.

Two years between main games, maybe.

Every two years sounds like the best way to go. Yearly releases feel rushed, and it feels like they're putting money before entertainment value whenever they're announcing new games a few months after they released a pair. Yes, I know profit matters the most to them... but as a consumer, I'd like to fully enjoy a game before moving on to the next. Two years sounds like enough time to enjoy what's provided.

I'm not a fan of yearly releases. Would be nice if they had a good 2 years before going off releasing a new game. I love what Bolt the Cat mentioned, as well.

After gen 7, which I figure will be the last traditional generation for the 3DS, Gen 8 on the NX will be the first expansion generation. Bascally:
Pokemon A and Pokemon B. The main games of the generation. New Region and Pokemon, with an expansion that offers new plot threads, yet not on the level of a third game or sequels
Pokemon Remakes. Remakes of whatever gen they feel needs remakes. Expansion DLC that acts like an epilogue, and introduces major elements from their 3rd version/sequels, as well as new stuff.
Pokemonn A/B-Remake Ultimate editions. Re-Releasea of the two games with all expansions, compatibility for all new moves/formes/pokemon. Comes with a 3rd game style epilogue for A/B similar to what came out for the remakes.
And this is all in the course of 4 years, or hell the entire hardware generation. Pokemon becomes a legacy title like Mario Kart and SSB, with two titles per hardware cycle instead of one, offering two main regions. Perhaps 3 releases, with sequels thrown in for older regions, or Generation 8.5 style updates, with the dex being split into two over the course of 6 years.

Ok, hypothetically, let's say they started developing a brand new main series game in... 2010.

They could take two full years for it to be in development, releasing it in 2012.

Then they could start development on remakes as soon as the main games are released, so 2012.

That would also be in development for two years, releasing in 2014.

Then lastly, they could start the sequels/midquels/prequels/third version/whatever as soon as the remakes are released, in 2014.

Since they would already have the base from the first games, they could just copy and paste, then focus on the new additions to the game. This could probably take a little less than two years to be done, but for consistency, they would release it in 2016.

So basically, I'm here for 6 year generations with 5 games each and even, 2 year releases.

One game each year seems fine to me. After all, more new Pokémon games has to be good, right?
Also I'm really impatient and I don't think I could wait 2 or more years for a new game...

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom