• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon of the Month May 2019: Deoxys

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her

Pokemon of the Month - May!
Hi, everyone! Welcome again to Pokémon of the Month! So, what would be the pick for this month, you may ask? Well, since we're continuing with mythicals, why not go with Deoxys for the month of May?

386Deoxys_Normal_Forme_Dream.png

Ani386OD.png
Bulbapedia article here!

General Overview:

Ani386OD.png
It's known as the DNA Pokemon!
Ani386ODA.png
Its signature move is Psycho Boost.
Ani386ODD.png
Deoxys is able to regenerate any damage it sustains, as long as its core is intact. This is referenced by it being able to learn Recover.
Ani386ODS.png
Deoxys Speed Forme is the fastest of all Pokémon.
Ani386OD.png
Deoxys is the first Mythical to become legitimately obtainable in the main series without the need for an event or side game. It can now be caught in Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby as part of Delta Episode, at level 80. This is the highest scripted wild battle to date, alongside Arceus from the unreleased Azure Flute event in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum.
Ani386ODA.png
Attack Forme is the only available forme as a Pokéball summon in the Super Smash Bros series.
Ani386ODD.png
In its debut generation, it changed forme depending on the game. Normal Forme was exclusive to Ruby, Sapphire, Colosseum and XD; Attack Forme was exclusive to FireRed; Defense Forme was exclusive to LeafGreen; Speed Forme was exclusive to Emerald. This was changed in successive generations, as it can change forme via interacting with meteorites in the various games.
Ani386ODS.png
Its Normal, Attack and Defense Formes debuted in the anime in Movie 07, Destiny Deoxys, where it had a mighty battle with Rayquaza after the latter mistook it for a threat. The Speed Forme debuted in the episode Pokémon Ranger - Deoxys Crisis.

Competitive Overview:

Ani386OD.png
Normal Forme is severely outclassed by its other formes, due to its "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" stats. If you need an attacker, you'd better use Attack Forme. If you need a reliable bulky setter, go with Defense Forme. If you prefer a speedy setter for Hyper Offense, opt for Speed Forme. Seriously, don't consider this.
Ani386ODA.png
Attack Forme is the very definition of a glass cannon, thanks to its monstrous 180 in Attack and Special Attack and 150 in Speed, while being accompanied by paper thin 50 in HP and 20 in Defense and Special Defense. Its best use is as a powerful revenge killer or wallbreaker. Don't let it take any hit, though!
Ani386ODA.png
Recommended moves are Psycho Boost for massive damage (pair it with Tapu Lele to get a true psionic nuke and protect Deoxys from priority), Superpower for Dark-types, Ice Beam for the Ice-weak opponents in Ubers and Dark Pulse for opposing Psychics. Extreme Speed is also a good option for better revenge killing potential, but keep in mind that Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge disables Extreme Speed for grounded targets. Niche moves include Fire Punch for certain Steel-types, Knock Off to remove items and Nasty Plot to boost its already high Special Attack to skyhigh levels.
Ani386ODA.png
Recommended item is Life Orb to boost all its moves in exchange of some HP. Niche options include Psychium Z, which can demolish anything that doesn't resist it under Psychic Terrain, and Focus Sash to be able to tank at least one attack.
Ani386ODD.png
Defense Forme is the second least useful forme, as its high 160 in Defense and Special Defense are hindered by its 50 in HP, and its 70 in Attack and Special Attack don't allow it to hit hard enough among the behemoths in Ubers. 90 in Speed is respectable for a defensive Pokémon, however. Its best use is as a mixed wall, but you may find better candidates that have better types, moves and stats.
Ani386ODD.png
Recommended moves include Recover to gain back HP, Toxic for status, Taunt to shut down stall and Spikes for hazard setting. Other options include Stealth Rock as an alternative hazard and Ice Beam to check some Ice-weak Pokémon.
Ani386ODD.png
Recommended item is Leftovers for passive recovery. Another option is Shed Shell to escape Shadow Tag.
Ani386ODS.png
Speed Forme is the premier lead thanks to its stellar 180 in Speed, allowing it to set up hazards and use a vast array of utility moves. Its 95 in Attack and Special Attack and 90 in Defense and Special Defense are nothing special, but allow it to take a few weak hits and set up more easily. Use a Speed-boosting nature, like Timid, to further increase its Speed.
Ani386ODS.png
Recommended moves are Stealth Rock for reliable hazard, Taunt to stop defensive Pokémon on their tracks, Skill Swap to remove abilities from opponents and Magic Coat to bounce back opposing hazards or status moves. Other options include Spikes as an alternative way to drop hazards, or Reflect / Light Screen with Light Clay to get very fast screens.
Ani386ODS.png
Recommended items include Focus Sash to be able to tank at least one attack and set up twice at worst, or Rocky Helmet to punish physical attackers.

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Normal, Attack, Defense or Speed?
  • What other Mythical Pokémon do you think could become obtainable without events?

I have probably the most memories from Gen 3 even as someone who's been involved from the very beginning. I thought the concept of transferring between game versions was really neat at the time, even though I realize now how impractical it is.

Also for me, Deoxys was the first of the "Mewthree" Pokemon - i.e. one that intentionally or not called back to Mewtwo. That's even what I named the one I caught in Omega Ruby. Of course Lucario would take its place in that regard for most people but still...

As for other mythicals that may become obtainable without events, I would probably pick Darkrai and Keldeo because they have big connections to other in-game Pokemon. Diancie technically does as well but it's not as inseparable of a link.

Deoxys is certainly an interesting Mythical, although it is far from being my favourite one. I like its gimmick of changing Formes, its cry and great movepool. My favourite Forme is the Attack one, since it is quick and hits very hard despite not being able to take hits at all. I really like the fact you can catch it in-game in OR/AS, and I hope that they make Shaymin and Darkrai available in the Diamond/Pearl remakes, should they come out.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom