• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #100: Rhyhorn, Rhydon, & Rhyperior

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
First off, I would like to apologize for the extended break in this series, but I am very excited to be writing the 100th Pokémon of the Week entry! Thank you so much to all of those who have contributed and commented along the way. The goal was always to release one spotlight a week, but from here on out the staff is going to be setting a new goal of once every other week to hopefully keep them from getting delayed or rushed out at the last minute.

Without further ado, let's dive into today's Pokémon line.

In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every entry of this series focuses on a single Pokémon or evolutionary line and highlights what makes it special. For our 100th entry, we will be talking about Rhydon and its evolutionary relatives!

250px-111Rhyhorn.png
250px-112Rhydon.png

250px-464Rhyperior.png

The Rhyhorn line is a Ground/Rock type line whose appearance is primarily based on rhinoceroses with some elements of various dinosaurs such as ceratopsians and ankylosaurs. They are very strong, sturdy Pokémon usually depicted with short tempers and an aggressive nature. Their tough, rock-like hide allows them to live in some of the most extreme environments, even in molten magma. Though not known for their intelligence, Rhyhorn can be trained to race while carrying a trainer on its back, which is a popular sport in the Kalos region. The final stage, Rhyperior, gains the interesting trait of cannon arms that it can use to fire off rocks (or sometimes small Rock Pokémon) at its opponents.

Rhydon is particularly important to Pokémon as a franchise for several reasons,one being it was the very first Pokémon designed by Ken Sugimori. Because of this it has a hidden index number of 001 in the Generation I games. Interestingly, Kanghaskhan and Nidoran-M are 002 and 003 respectively, potentially meaning these three Pokémon were part of the same evolutionary line in an early conceptual stage of the games and were later broken into three distinct lines. The sprite for Substitute and the statues that appear in various locations throughout the games seem to be inspired by Rhydon as well.
DulCptp.png

Rhydon has made several significant appearances in both the games and anime. Rhydon is the most powerful Pokémon used by Giovanni in the Viridian City Gym in Gen I (though this was strangely changed to a Rhyhorn in FireRed and LeafGreen despite them evolving on level 42). Blaine uses a Rhydon in his battle against Ash in the anime, likely referring to Rhydon's Pokédex entry stating its tolerance to magma. This battle brought us the ever controversial "Aim for the horn!" moment in which Pikachu defeated Rhydon with an Electric attack. In Generation III, Rhyhorn and Rhydon gained the ability Lightningrod, possibly as a reference to this very scene. Rhydon's evolved form Rhyperior appears on Tower Tycoon Palmer's team in Generation IV and as his signature Pokémon in the anime.

Rhydon's combination of high attack and defense has always been a force to be reckoned with. Just access to powerful STAB moves like Rock Slide and Earthquake made it one of the most potent attackers in the games it was introduced in. Since then it has gained access to more powerful moves such as Megahorn and stat boosting moves such as Rock Polish and Swords Dance. Its Special Attack is extremely low for an evolved Pokémon, but it does have a wide array of strong Special Attacks at its disposal which may be useful for a varied in-game moveset. It also has equally low Special Defense and even lower Speed, which do hold this Pokémon back in the competitive scene. Because of the addition of Rhyperior, Rhydon has access to the Eviolite, which boosts its defenses well beyond those of its evolution. After evolving through trade while holding the Protector, it gains a small boost in every stat except for Speed and the new ability Solid Rock, which weakens Super Effective attacks. It also gains access to one of the most powerful Rock-type moves in the game, Rock Wrecker.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • How do you feel about adding evolutions to Pokémon in later generations? Do you think Rhyperior is an appropriate evolution to Rhydon?
  • Do you prefer using Rhydon or Rhyperior, either in-game or competitively?
  • Would you try racing on a Rhyhorn?
Previous Pokémon of the Week

I was worried that the series had been cancelled at the worst possible time, right before 100... Anyway!

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
It's one of these Pokémon that I want to use but can't find the space for.

• How is this Pokémon in-game?
Not half bad if you have a friend (or if you're a loner with a second DS) and are able to made up for its shortcomings. The only time I used a Rhyperior was in an old Diamond save when I attempted to cobble together a sandstorm team, courtesy of Tyranitar. The Rock type's Sp. Def boost in sandstorms alongside Rock Polish was my plan with this Pokémon.

This was incidentally the first time I got to use a Torterra, having been an Infernape guy beforehand. Even though I've never used Rhyperior in-game again, its legacy remains today in my new Sinnoh starter pick.

• How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
As the best Rock/Ground Pokémon (technically Ground/Rock but the order of typing makes precisely zero difference so whatever), Rhyperior is a natural pick for resisting and mauling Fire and Electric foes at once while also holding a deceptively strong STAB combo that covers lots of Pokémon neutrally. Most of these good pairs are extremely rare on a Pokémon (Ice/Ground, Electric/Ice, Ghost/Fighting) while Rock/Ground is far more common.

I can't vouch for its competitive viability, but I like the sound of an Assault Vest set that uses Power-Up Punch or Skull Bash to increase its Attack or Defence respectively. Seriously though, use at your own risk.
We do not accept liability for any loss of or damage to pride/reputation as a result of using this Gengarzilla™ brand product.

• Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
PEEKACHU THE HORN!1!1!1

In seriousness, my favourite representation of this line comes from Palmer's Rhyperior. Hooo boy I loved that fight against Ash's Grotle when I first saw it and I still love it now. This is why it hurt when Grotle eventually evolved and took a level in suck.

• How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Construction work, maybe?

Sorry, I keep going blank at this question. Next?

• If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Oh my god it has Reckless give it Head Smash! This is Aerodactyl all over again!

• How do you feel about adding evolutions to Pokémon in later generations? Do you think Rhyperior is an appropriate evolution to Rhydon?
I heavily approve of doing such a thing as most of Sinnoh's examples would easily make my personal Top 25/50.

Is Rhyperior an appropriate evolution? Yes, it improves upon Rhydon's good points and overall stays loyal to the general theme of the line: a rocky, craggy, rhinoceros/dinosaur thing that you don't want to meet in a dark alley. I think Rhyperior's haters should be more grateful for its existence, otherwise Rhydon wouldn't have the Eviolite to beef up its bulk.

• Do you prefer using Rhydon or Rhyperior, either in-game or competitively?
Rhyperior all the time, every time. I would personally never use Eviolite pre-evolutions when Knock Off is so popular; that's just asking for trouble if you ask me.

• Would you try racing on a Rhyhorn?
No. I'm not enough of a thrill-seeker to ride on a creature that, while charging, forgets why it's charging. Give me the slower pace and empathetic abilities of a Gogoat anyday.

I'm addicted to this Rock/Ground type Pokémon. Pretty great HP/Attack/Defense and Solid Rock is one of the abilities I enjoy the most to use. I adore the whole rocky appearence of Rhyhorn and it always somewhat amuses me how it and Charizard share exactly the same cry, thing that's especially noticeable in the games of the very first Generations. Rhyperior is one of those evolutions introduced on Generation IV I actually prefer... The brown/orange combination of colours and the huge cudgel-shaped tail in particular are some of the aspects I find remarkable about this Pokémon. Rhydon lastly, while being cool as well, is the stage I admit to like less of this evolutionary line.

Rhyhorn is not the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear "armored rhino" and that's good, he looks very rough and unique. Rhydon is like the steel version of Nidoking, but he still looks nice and fierce. But Rhyperior...wasn't necessary at all, its color combination is very bad and doesn't mesh well with the rest of the line. It being a trade evolution doesn't help at all.

It's okay. I don't feel particularly strong about this line nor have I includeded it in any in-game teams or anything.

Conceptually, I find the Rhyhorn line very interesting, but that's about it. It's not that I find the whole line boring per se, it's just that I feel strongly neutral about them. Although if I'm going to be honest, I slightly prefer Rhydon over Rhyperior as far as design goes.

Rhyhorn and Rhydon are pretty good, but I don't like Rhyperior nearly as much. I don't actually dislike it (unlike Probopass, Tangrowth and Lickilicky), but its colour scheme, tail shape and overly bulky build don't help it shine in my eyes. Then again, Rhydon can't have Solid Rock as an ability, and Rock Head is pretty useless on it since it can't learn Head Smash.
In the anime, I liked the surfing Rhydon (and in the Generation II games, in Ecruteak Dance Hall, there was a man with one, shame they replaced it with a Psyduck in the remakes) and Palmer's Rhyperior. Otherwise, they weren't that memorable.

I like Rhyhorn and Rhydon is awesome. Rhyperior... not so much. Its design is just bleh.

I only really used Rhydon in the Gen I games and it is a very solid fighter. The typing can be a hindrance but there wasn't too much to get in its way at the time. I loved using him. Rhyperior I used once in Gen IV. It was not only ugly, but there was a lot more out there that could take it out in one hit since it's so damn slow and it still has the Rock/Ground typing. It's best suited for a Trick Room team, but I can think of other Pokemon that would pull the job Rhyperior could do much better.

Never used these guys competitively. They don't seem like the type that can last a competitive environment unless you get lucky and come across someone who doesn't have a Special Water-type (which is rare).

I remember the pink Rhyhorn in one anime episode and riding Rhyhorns in X and Y, and of course that infamous episode where Ash fights Blaine. There was also the Rhyperior who belonged to Palmer in Diamond and Pearl. That's all I know of these guys.

These Pokemon would be dangerous. You would mess with a real rhinoceros. Just leave them alone and stay out of their way. Don't poach! Poachers are vile.

The fact that Rhydon has Rock Head and cannot even learn Head Smash is BS. Give it Head Smash, Game Freak! That's what I would change. The only move it can make use of is a non-STAB Double-Edge. Who cares??

I liked some of the evolutions given in Gen IV and I am not against giving Pokemon an evolution, but Rhyperior was not one of them. It wasn't the worst, but it's design just grosses me out. It looks like it's wearing a George Washington wig that managed to rust away its gray sheen. It also looks like it can hardly move with all that extra bulk. Rhydon just didn't need an evolution.

Rhydon, all the way. In-game, of course. Unless they give him Head Smash, it will always be used in-game.

No, I wouldn't try racing on a Rhyhorn. I see myself in a body cast if I tried that.

I absolutely love Rhydon. I like Rhyperior but Rhydon is my favourite of the 3.

I do kind of wish that Rock Wrecker wasn't so... bad. For a move that only 3 mons can learn, the drawback is way too big.

Rhyperior is an awesome battler. Could be fun to start a showdown team with him sometime (i still need to figure out how to make seriously winning teams on there more lol).

I personally found Rhyhorn and Rhydon sort of bland Pokémon, but I actually think Rhyperior makes the line more interesting and cool, partly thanks to its upgraded color palette and cannon arms. I once received a Rhyperior in trade on Platinum which I had fun using, even if the set I used on it wasn’t exactly competitive. I used Megahorn as a counter to Grass types, but if I tried using Rhyperior again I would consider Poison Jab as Grass coverage for its accuracy.

I rather like Rhyhorn and Rhydon. Both have pretty good designs in my opinion--simplistic yet still monstrous and cool--and Rhydon is among my favorite Kanto Pokemon. As for Rhyperior... I'm sorta neutral on it, leaning towards negative. It just look awkward how its torso is basically a ball. The armor plating looks a bit weird as well now that I think about it. So, if I could change anything about this line, I would change Rhyperior's appearance completely. Rather than make it a fusion between Rhydon and a construction worker, I would change it so that it looks more like a cross between a rhino and an ankylosaurus. Perhaps not completely quadropod, but I would make it more hunched over than Rhydon. Though, while I dont' exactly like Rhyperior, I am fine that it is Rhydon's evolution because it means that Rhydon has access to Evolite.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom