• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #101: Pyukumuku

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every few weeks, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary lines and talking about what makes it cool as a cucumber. This week, we’re giving a big hand to Pyukumuku!

20160811131449%21771Pyukumuku.png

Pyukumuku, the Sea Cucumber Pokémon, is a Water-type introduced in Generation VII. This small, roundish Pokémon, native to the shallow waters and beaches of Alola, is covered in a slime that feels soothing on sunburnt skin. It also possesses the unusual capability of regurgitating its own innards, which take the shape of a single white hand that can attack foes or even make gestures such as the peace sign. However, many tourists dislike Pyukumuku’s appearance (how DARE they?), as well as its tendency to use its guts to smack anyone unlucky enough to accidentally step on it. Pyukumuku also have a stubborn habit of always residing in one spot, even when they run out of food and put themselves in danger of starving. For both of these reasons, Alolan people will actually take jobs picking up Pyukumuku off the shore and hurling them back into the sea, a service to Pyukumuku and tourists alike.

In battle, Pyukumuku has access to no damage-dealing moves outside of Counter and Bide, and suffers from poor HP as well as abysmal Speed — it’s the slowest Pokémon in the games, tied with Shuckle and Munchlax. Pyukumuku does, however, pack incredible defensive stats, as well as a variety of potentially useful status moves.
Competitively, Pyukumuku fares best using Toxic stalling tactics thanks to its defensive bulk and ability to trap opposing Pokémon by using Block. With access to Soak, Pyukumuku can even strip most Steel or Poison-types of their immunity to Toxic before inflicting it. Pyukumuku can also further its stalling capabilities by regaining HP with Recover whenever its health gets too low. Other status moves in Pyukumuku’s repertoire include Gastro Acid, Substitute, and its odd signature move, Purify, which cures a status-afflicted target in order to restore half of Pyukumuku’s HP. Due to this conditional use, Purify is considerably less useful than Recover, although it can be applied to cure a single ally in double battles.
Pyukumuku has two options as far as abilities go. Its signature ability, Innards Out, will punish an attacker for knocking out Pyukumuku by dealing back damage equal to the amount of HP Pyukumuku lost. However, competitive players might favor its hidden ability, Unaware. An Unaware Pyukumuku will not factor in the opposing Pokémon’s stat changes when taking damage, which allows it to be more effective in stalling attackers that rely on offensive boosts.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.

◦ Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
◦ How is this Pokémon in-game?
◦ How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
◦ Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
◦ How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
◦ If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
◦ Would it be handy to arm Pyukumuku with fist-based attacks and offensive stats that pack a punch? Or is this idea opposable because Pyukumuku already has its own grasp on the battling scene? :p

If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

Pyukumuku is one of those Pokémon I've caught and I like but never actually used, it's cute but otherwise I have no use for it on my team since I rarely play SM/USM anymore. I did find it useful it getting quick money a day doing the throwing minigame though lol.

I'm feeling really ambivalent towards it. At first, when it was revealed, I thought it was kind of a gimmicky Pokemon that would have some sort of evolution, but I guess not.

But I also suppose it's fine the way it is. Gotta say though, I am pretty stumped as far as it's actual usefulness on a team, though. :s

Pyukumuku is one of those things that... honestly makes me sad. It kinda bothers me when GF put a lot of thought and attention into some exclusive ability with a potentially useful effect, only for us to ignore that and go for the hidden ability instead. It's like Toxapex's exclusive ability Merciless (and signature move Baneful Bunker, actually); definitely usable and I personally like this ability but it also has Regenerator so who cares?

Really, I want things like Innards Out to go to some Pokémon species that could make better use of it because this ability is being wasted on its only user.

pyukumuku is a super cutie. It has interesting inspiration, a lovable derpy face, and a wonderful color scheme. Not to mention it makes a peace sign with its intestines when you pet it. I'm happy to finally have an unaware user I like enough to actually use.
Really, I want things like Innards Out to go to some Pokémon species that could make better use of it because this ability is being wasted on its only user.
back before sm came out I recall hoping that maybe swalot would get it, the idea being that it hurls up its stomach contents upon fainting. Would mesh well with its high HP too. Though, I'd prefer it get corrosive, another great example of a wasted ability.
But I also suppose it's fine the way it is. Gotta say though, I am pretty stumped as far as it's actual usefulness on a team, though. :s
with unaware combined with its sheer bulk, it can prove useful as a stop to pokemon that abuse swords dance, dragon dance, and the like. Especially on stall teams, where its passivity doesn't matter as much.

even as far as in game goes, I recall my initially skeptical friend being surprised at how well it carried its weight. Apparently counter lets it face off with physical attackers rather sufficiently.

Last edited:
I like Pyukumuku better than a number of other Generation VII Pokemon, but it is rather tricky to use. I like its lore in the games, such as its mucus that soothes sunburnt skin and its preference to stay in one spot, even if it means starving to death. Shame its signature ability is outclassed by Unaware.

I love this little guy. He's so cute! I love his weird rabbit tail and its cry is the best. I would gather all of them on the beach and give them a hug before gently returning them to the ocean so they don't dry out.
It doesn't really learn attack moves. Just status and counter-type moves. Why.
It'd probably be considered a pest and treated poorly for washing up on the beach. They'd probably set up netting around most beaches to prevent it from washing ashore.
◦ If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
LET. MY. BOY. FIGHT.
◦ Would it be handy to arm Pyukumuku with fist-based attacks and offensive stats that pack a punch? Or is this idea opposable because Pyukumuku already has its own grasp on the battling scene? :p
I see what you did there and fully approve and accept this punishment. LET MY BOY PUNCH AND SLAP THINGS.

Wicked adorable. I just wish mine had good moves for battle when I caught it on ultra moon xD It woulda been nice to use over my pelipper, pelipper's not so 'cute'....(but it does seem good for wifi fights a little with its tail wind move lol)

I want one. I need to start on my game darn it all. I keep starting over. Why? Eh...
I never caught one. I iz sad. :(
I would put Pyukumuku in my bathtub.
Nope. :D
Well.. it IS a water type no? Fighting?? I really need to catch one. *goes and starts Moon over*

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom