• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokemon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week, we will be going over an evolution line that's near and dear to my heart, the Beldum family.

250px-374Beldum.png

250px-375Metang.png

250px-376Metagross.png

250px-376Metagross-Mega.png

The Beldum evolutionary line represents technological evolution. It evolves from Beldum, which is essentially a sentient robotic arm with a claw, where the head is the arm's ball and socket joint, into a floating robot with two arms. Fittingly, Metang's Pokedex entry states that it evolves from two Beldums fusing.
From Metang, it evolves again into the pseudo-legendary Pokemon, Metagross, a four legged larger robot said to be evolved from two Metangs fusing together. Numerous Pokedex entries for Metagross actually state that it has four brains that work together in a neural network that allows Metagross to breeze through complex multivariable equations, and analyze its foes.
Metagross's Steel/Psychic typing perfectly reflects this concept. The Psychic aspect is exemplified by the four brains in a neural network, while Metagross's robotic nature exemplifies its Steel typing.
Despite appearing to be inorganic, however, the Beldum family are, in fact, organic, and do actually eat.

Metagross's Pokedex entries are inconsistent about the exact levels of Metagross's intelligence, but in all entries where Metagross's intelligence is mentioned, it is compared to a supercomputer. I figured I'd spend a little time going over some supercomputer trivia, just so you all get an idea as to just how smart that is.
The speed at which a supercomputer can calculate is measured in FLOPS, or floating-point operations per second. In June of 2016, only a few month ago, China developed the Sunway TaihuLight, which achieved a maximum speed of 93 petaFLOPS. (peta = 1^15, or one quadrillion). That is blazing fast. Perhaps the inconsistencies as to whether Metagross is smarter than or as smart as a supercomputer stem from the fact that technology, even in the Pokemon world, is ever evolving. An interesting thought, to be sure.

The Beldum family has appeared numerous times in the anime, under the ownership of Morrison, Tyson, Anabel, Steven Stone, and, most recently, Alain.

Metagross is a phenomenal physical attacker and defensive wall, albeit slightly too slow to act as a good sweeper. Until Gen VI, its defensive typing left it only weak to Fire and Ground. However, with the type changes in Gen VI, Metagross is now weak to Ghost and Dark, as well. In exchange for the added weaknesses, Gen VI blessed Metagross with a Mega Evolution that increased its physical attacking and walling capabilities, as well as its special walling capabilities, but, most impressively, boosting its base speed significantly. With a single Agility or Rock Polish under its belt, and access to Tough Claws boosted physical attacks like Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Hammer Arm, Thunder Punch, and Ice Punch, Mega Metagross is a versatile physical sweeper that is poised to wreck opposing teams.

Here are some questions to consider to get the conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • The Pokedex entries for Metang and Metagross both mention how they are each made up of a combination of two of their prior evolution, and yet, both in-game and in the anime, they have been seen evolving without the need for a second Beldum or Metang. How do you think this is possible?
  • What do you think about the changes that Gen VI made to the Steel type?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
One of my favourites! Pseudo-legendary, not Dragon-type, Hoenn (first region I ever played in). Great.
In fact I like it so much that it seems I gave the lengthiest answers I've given ever in a PotW segment to some questions below. Sorry if I end up boring but all those things are meaningful to me.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Really great although you obtain it late. The exception would be the Shiny Beldum event in the beginning of ORAS which seems like a great Pokemon to have for your in-game playthrough.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Just awesome over there too. That's what pseudo-legendaries with nice types do :) Well, Metagross is good for offense. I guess it works better as a tank than a fast sweeper.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Oh yes! I liked how both of Ash's rivals in the Hoenn League (Morrison/Tyson) had Metang/Metagross respectively. I even liked its more minor appearances in 2 Sinnoh episodes (In the first one which was Team-Rocket focused, there were lots of Trainers trying to catch it. I liked how it seemed really hard to be caight and people were supposedly in danger yet there still were Trainers who wanted to try as it was super-strong. In the second episode, which was a filler, it was fighting a Magnezone. I mostly remember and like the episode because it was the only Magnezone appearance in DP, but it appearing and looking equal this favourite psudo-legendary of mine I liked too). Finally, I did like its appearances as Mega and Shiny, used by Steven Stone.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
I feel like those two episodes in Sinnoh where its role was minor actually give us a very good lesson that this Pokemon would be outright dangerous in the real world. In the first one, it was shown that trying to catch it is very dangerous. In the second one, it is shown that if a wild one gets into a city, bad things can happen.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
This Pokemon is pretty good overall. I wouldn't suggest a typing change or better stats (pseudo-legends need to stay at a BST of 600). Perhaps a slightly better stat distribution (not that its current one is bad!). But no need for that much Special Attack. If a chunk of that was used in the other stats (particularly Attack/Speed I would be glad).
As for the Mega Evolution, a similar better stat distribution would be also welcome. And a slightly better design tbh, despite liking the entire evolutionary line and their designs, Mega Metagross still looks a bit strange.
The Pokedex entries for Metang and Metagross both mention how they are each made up of a combination of two of their prior evolution, and yet, both in-game and in the anime, they have been seen evolving without the need for a second Beldum or Metang. How do you think this is possible?
I've been wondering about this a while ago. Thing is, the same does apply to several Pokemon (Magnemite, Diglett, Koffing, Binacle come to mind). I just don't think too much about it anymore. To be quite honest, I was hoping these all would get a different evolutionary method at some point, especially after it was shown that Pokemon fusion is possible with Black/White Kyurem. But that's wishful thinking at best. Especially for the Beldum line which leads to a pseudo-legendary...
What do you think about the changes that Gen VI made to the Steel type?
Well those changes did make Metagross weaker, unfortunately :( I understand why they did this, though. They wanted to balance out a few types that were too strong/weak. Steel was a strange case; too weak in offense but too strong in defense. Making it hit Fairy for super-effective did help with the former part, but the latter part couldn't be adressed (unless Fairy was to hit Steel for super-effective as well, but that would result in both types would hit x2 on each other, which does not sound a good idea). So they had to take out a few of its resistances. As for why they picked Ghost/Dark, I can see several reasons. Ghost was offensively weak, Dark might also be in the lower end and would get worse with the introduction of Fairy. Meanwhile, Metagross wouldn't mind a little nerf to be honest. Bronzong too, since the Heatproof/Leviate thing made it have only one weakness but the opponent could only find out with some other Ability or trial-and-error. A few extra weaknesses would be fair for it too.

Last edited:
Metagross is my favorite pseudo-legendary Pokémon and my first pick whenever I need a Psychic type for a team. Let's just say that it's very reliable.

Catching a Beldum or its evolved forms is an absolute bitch thanks to their catch rate of 3, the lowest possible. They're the only non-legendaries with this lofty rate but I've yet to have a Metagross not make this a strife well spent.

It's even worse in DPPt, where Beldum could only appear in a swarm on Route 228. This adds on a 24 hour window and lots of waiting for them to even show up. They're the Metal Slime of the Pokémon franchise.

• How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Mega Metagross came obscenely close to being banned from Smogon's OU tier a while back. I plan on using Agility in Platinum, but my favorite set involves Hone Claws to boost its Attack and patch up the imperfect accuracy of its two STAB moves Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt. I'd also love to test out Telekinesis/Dynamic Punch on the Mega someday.

• Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Aside from that one Shiny Metagross in Sinnoh, nothing stands out. I'm part of the minority that don't really like XY Steven. Mostly because the writers seem dead set on pretending that his debut episode in AG didn't happen.

The average person wouldn't ever see it. I think they'd be hidden away in military bases.

• If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Make Light Metal useful for it. Metagross is so heavy that it actually gets no benefits from this. Have it give instant stat changes of +1 Speed and -1 Defense when it enters battle in addition to the weight loss (give Heavy Metal the reverse effect for consistency's sake). White Herb could patch up Defense, or just Mega Evolve for the late game sweep.

• The Pokedex entries for Metang and Metagross both mention how they are each made up of a combination of two of their prior evolution, and yet, both in-game and in the anime, they have been seen evolving without the need for a second Beldum or Metang. How do you think this is possible?
Considering that we've all been staring at Shedinja from behind ever since Gen III, dex entries are most likely rubbish.

Speaking of Shedinja...

It depends on the situation. I'm happy that they no longer resist my favorite type of Ghost but this is a problem for Metagross. The Mega risks losing a speed tie against Gengar if it doesn't use Bullet Punch or hasn't already used Agility.

I'd like to discuss the Nincada family sometime. Between Ninjask's almost unmatched speed and Shedinja's 1HP, it could be very interesting to talk about.

Last edited:

Dislike

Don't know.

Don't know.

Don't know

Take over it.

Be able to mate.

It's a video game.

No comment.

Metagross has one of those dumb pokédex entries that means essentially nothing. There's far more to intelligence than merely being able to do sums really fast. Much like Alakazam, it's very much a case of intelligence told and not shown, since neither species actually does anything much with all that supposed intelligence.

Being quite rare I would think that this line would only really interact with the "human" world as captured pokémon.

Regarding on the supercomputer, there was once I read a book about computer calculation (A book about inconsequential knowledge, very useless :p), in order to check how fast can a computer calculates, the best method is let it calculates the value of π. Yeah, π(pi), the number we use regularly when it comes to circle-related calculation, 3.141592653...... Let the computer calculate how many decimal places it may reach within a certain amount of calculation time. BTW, if I remember correctly, IBM's super computer used in its headquarter almost 10 years ago succeed in finding up to 10^50+th decimal place just within a minute. As the computer technology grows, the calculation speed also goes up, it is not any big surprise that within also just a minute the new super computer can calculate up to 10^100+th decimal place of π.

However, just wanted to say, although such calculate demonstrated the processing speed of the super computer, nonetheless the test itself is completely meaningless in telling what the super computer can do in many other different fields. Because at the end of the day, the super computer still cannot construct the calculation formula from nothingness ground zero on its own, it still requires human input to enter the formula constructed by someone else, and do the calculation as instructed by the third party.

Of course Metagross and Alakazam has mind of their own, so they can utilize their over-developed brain in the manner a lifeless electronic computer cannot do. But still, my point of discussion is just that, the speed of processing of one's brain is not directly related to one's amount of knowledge nor one's ability in doing many different things. Especially for wild pokemons that are not exposed to any knowledge obtainable only in human society, I doubt Metagross' excessive intelligence will help it stands out on top of every other wild pokemons.
But well to be fair, even disregard its intelligence, its powerful strength already make it strong enough to separate its species from any ordinary commonmons.

Metagross is my second favourite pseudo-legendary pokemons, by design-wise (My top favourite is Hydreigon). Despite that it is said to be the predator pokemon, but due to its intelligence, personally I don't think it is that much aggressive, more possibly being the passive predator type. BTW, because it has an inorganic body, I think its diet shall also consists of inorganic substances. Rather than hunting organic pokemons like Rattata or Pidgey, I would imagine it prey on Geodude or Roggenrola.

BTW, just a little "realistic" calculation I did in sometime back then out of boredom. It is said that Beldum's cell were all made of magnets (In JPN B2W2's Pokedex entry, though turned to be simply being "magnetic" in ENG Pokedex entry), so I assumed Metang and Metagross are also like that.
In Real-Life, the natural magnetic rock most common in wild is the magnetite (Fe3O4, density or specific gravity 5~5.18 g/cm^3, aka 5000~5180 kg/m^3). Shall Metagross' body consist purely of magnetite, then in order for it to weight only 550kg as indicated in its Pokedex, then Metagross' real height wouldn't exceed 48cm. Even if I account any spaces inside its body, it is just impossible for it to exceed height of 1m.
So, if by "realistic" calculation, a Metagross of 1.6m height should in fact easily weight above 20 tons! OK even if I account spaces inside its body, still I don't think it will weight anything lower than 10 tons.
The only explanation is, the "weight" within the Pokedex included its ability to float using anti-magnetism, so it is not purely "mass", but body weight = mass x gravity, where value of gravity decreased due to its ability to float.
But, in the case of Metagross and its family turned off its floating ability, anything underneath will definitely smash to jam within a second due to its heavy mass.

Last edited:
Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Love it. Metagross is one of my favourites, and quite possibly the number 1.
Firstly, it has a great design. Secondly, it made an impression as the first psuedo legend that had no 4X weakness--it compensated by having a suboptimal stat spread (95 Special Attack it doesn't much use). Thirdly, it's never seriously let me down--it's not undefeated but Metagross is one Pokémon whose never grossly failed to live up to what I expect of it (I expect much pain, directed towards the enemy team, and to not run off crying after one super effective hit).

How is this Pokémon in-game?
Metagross has a tendency to be banished to post-game--many games prevent you from receiving Beldum until after the Elite Four. Unless you breed one (which I do. I'm not going without my battlecrab) there's not a lot to use it for except rematches and the Battle facilities. This is probably why Metang evolves at a lower level than other Psuedos generally do.

When you have one though, it's a powerhouse. It has good enough HP and special defense and absurd physical defense and it hits like a truck--he even learns Agility. It's far from invincible, though; super effective special attacks and getting unlucky with the miss chance most of it's strong moves have can ruin it's day.
Mega Metagross is a monster, pure and simple.

Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Kind of meh. Tyson's made a good showing but mostly beat things it had a type advantage against. None of the other Metagross have stood out to me.

How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Mostly military use, I imagine. Private citizens would either require special permits or be outright barred from owning one.

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Give it a better hidden ability. Exactly what I'm not certain.

What do you think about the changes that Gen VI made to the Steel type?
The type probably needed the nerf, though it was bad for Metagross. Getting a Mega that was min-maxed more than made up for it.

I love Metagross mostly because I'm a huge fan of Steven Stone, but I also like it because it is unique in form. A lot of pokemon have designs that are similar to animals or plants, but Metagross is a robot with a brain of a supercomputer. And it has a cool Shiny form :D

I always have liked Beldum, Metang, and Metagross. Although I have not sent out any of the Pokemon in such a long time. (Excluding the event Beldum in ORAS.) As a kid, I thought the Pokemon's typing was really cool. I really liked the moves the Pokemon learned as well. Beldum only being able to learn Take Down is cool to me. Also Meteor Mash was such a cool move to me as a kid, and still is! I went to a Pokemon event in 2005 and there was a Metang being distributed that knew Refresh and it was so awesome.

I still haven't ever caught a Beldum within any of the games. I'll never forget trying to catch one in Diamond and lamenting that there wasn't a Ghost-type with either Rock, Ground, or Steel-typing. Yes, the Sandstorm was whittling my catcher's HP all the way down as Beldum would not stay in the ball! It's an example of Gamefreak treating a piece of their game without consideration about its role in future games. The Beldum-line are the only Pokemon with a catch rate of 3 that isn't a Legendary. Pretty much them thinking "eh, it can't be found in the wild so give it something stupid, it'll be funny"! This is actually pretty interesting and has made me curious if there are other instances of haphazard treatment as well as any efforts Gamefreak has made in future proofing their games. The catch rate is something that should definitely be changed which isn't too wild of a consideration since catch rates have been changed before for convenience.

Beldum is interesting in that it's another one of those Magikarp-styled Pokemon. Not too sure why this was done as it usually means that the Pokemon is very weak or even dumb, but I guess one could conclude that given that its name is Beldum.

I've never used this line due to it being super late game or post-game but I really do like this line. I like their blue coloring and rough unpolished texture. Their appearance is not something you'd expect from a robot or a supercomputer and it gives off more of a natural of-the earth feel. Metagross is a spider tank that can also take off using magnetism and that would be pretty awesome to have in a free-from setting.

Beldum is a pain to catch and raise, since it only learns Take Down naturally, and I've never liked Metang's nose-thing,but Metagross is my third favourite pseudo-legendary, losing only to Salamence and Tyranitar. It looks cool, has a great shiny form, and its movepool is vast. I remember raising a Magnet Pull Magnezone in Platinum just so I could catch a shiny Beldum using the Poke Radar, but so far I haven't encountered any.
In the anime, I remember Tyson's Metagross, as well as Steven's shiny one, and Sophocles using a Metang to fly around during his missions as an Ultra Guardian, but the latter left a sour taste in my mouth, since unlike Altaria, Flygon and Charizard, it can't really fly in the games, it just floats, but then, neither can Garchomp and Dragonair (despite their Dex entries).

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom