• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Bidoof!

250px-399Bidoof.png
Bidoof, also known as the most valiant and majestic Pokémon ever created, was first introduced in Generation 4 as one of the first catchable Pokémon in the Sinnoh region. It is revered as a sacred creature within the fandom and with good reason. It is a Normal type that boasts the powerful Simple ability, allowing it to double any stat changes it receives. It possesses equally powerful moves such as Hyper Fang and Superpower, and it can also halve a Pokémon's current HP with the ever useful Super Fang. Bidoof is capable of learning a wide variety of TMs such as Blizzard, Thunder, and Grass Knot, making its moveset unpredictable. It also has access to several useful HMs, making it a staple on many players' DPPt teams.

Bidoof had a prominent role in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explores of Time, Darkness, and Sky as a friendly but bumbling guild member. Bidoof discovers his true splendid potential after completing a quest to awaken the legendary Pokémon Jirachi. He also appears in the anime special, but is given only a small role not at all fit for a Pokémon of his stature.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Has there ever been another Pokémon as magnificent as Bidoof?
  • What do you think is the proper way to show off Bidoof's power and skills?
  • Should Game Freak even attempt making a Pokémon that is better than Bidoof?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Special thanks to @PinkIceFox for suggesting this PotW!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
How could I not like the most valiant and majestic Pokémon ever created?
How is this Pokémon in-game?
HM slave. Nuff' said.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Try your luck with Moody! And upload videos of a level 1 Bidoof defeating 6 level 100 Arceus after 10000000000000000 attempts.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I don't remember it in the anime to be honest.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
It would be more meme material (as it already is) than a Pokemon that most people would like to have.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
I wouldn't change anything to the most valiant and majestic Pokémon ever created!
Has there ever been another Pokémon as magnificent as Bidoof?
Of course not!
What do you think is the proper way to show off Bidoof's power and skills?
Moody. Nuff' said.
Should Game Freak even attempt making a Pokémon that is better than Bidoof?
They can attempt I guess, but they won't achieve a thing. So they probably shouldn't as the entire attempt will be a waste of resources.

Diamond was my first Pokémon game and after having seen all those awesome Pokémon from the previous three generations I couldn't imagine finding anything even better than what already existed. So imagine my surprise when my first wild encounter was the incredibly valiant and majestic Bidoof!

In all seriousness though, I thought it looked ridiculous and was wondering if I was playing the right game :p But I've used it and Bibarel in a Nuzlocke once and it warmed up to me more, it was quite good in battle too. It still wouldn't end up in my top 10 of favourite Pokémon (or top 100 even), but I'm glad it exists nonetheless because of all the wonderful memes created around it. And it is the mon to go to for help if a tree or a rock is in the way of your path!

I don't think GF should ever attempt making a Pokémon that is better than Bidoof, it deserves this spotlight and none should (and will) ever take it away from it.

Last edited:
OMG BIDOOF. BIDOOF!!!

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I freaking love Bidoof it is my precious derpy child. My friend and I started a running gag the first time I ever tried to play through diamond (years after it came out) and I was trying to catch a pokemon but I kept running into Bidoof. He decided that it was the same Bidoof that just wanted hugs. But since I had fought it so much it pronounced hugs as 'hegs'. Think Team Four Star's Mister Steak if anyone's watched it. Bidoof is my Mister Steak and I love him. I named the Bidoof in my Platinum Nuzlocke Scrump.
He's been the bestest little HM slave bless his sweet little heart.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
They just want hugs. Hug all the Bidoof. Hug them all.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
NO BIDOOF IS PERFECT AND I LOVE HIM.
Has there ever been another Pokémon as magnificent as Bidoof?
No. He and sneasel are perfect in every way.
What do you think is the proper way to show off Bidoof's power and skills?
Give it a nice decorative headpiece and some ribbons and let it dance.
Should Game Freak even attempt making a Pokémon that is better than Bidoof?
They can't.

Eh
Eh
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Eh
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
No idea it was in the anime.
Like a nnormal animal

• If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Nothing

Zubat. Y'all hatin' on the Bat.
Interpretive dance.
They got Zubat.

No words can better describe Bidoof than a true and powerful friend. For countless journeys Bidoof has been there at my side to help me brave any obstacle I may come across. I wouldn't be where I am today without Bidoof's help. For his reliability, for his strength, and many other amazing qualities Bidoof will always be a lifelong pal of mine.

BIDOOF is the best Pokemon ever made. All shall cower in fear before BIDOOF's infinite beauty, grace, wisdom, and power. To even attempt making a Pokemon more magnificent and amazing than BIDOOF is blasphemy, and impossible.

Sorry that I seems like a complete outsider of this Bidoof hype because I am completely clueless, but just may I ask, why Bidoof is so loved by specific part of the fandom? Sorry I may need some explicit explanation, if anyone don't mind to explain......

To me personally, I just see Bidoof as one very ordinary pokemon living somewhere in the wild, so common that I don't have any explanation nor affection for it, it is just there for the sake of to be there, nothing more nothing less. That's all. End of discussion. Period.

IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
557946d35086c.jpeg

You cannot beat Bidoof's perfection. Arceus, creator of all, modeled himself as a pale imitation of Bidoof's true form.
Perhaps us mere mortals will one day be graced enough to see the true Bidoof in-game.

am I allowed to write a troll response for this cuz you know, it's bidoof?

...does this answer your question? :p

Actually, wait. I'm not trolling. I promised to never troll again and become a respectable citizen.
I really do think that Bidoof is a king of kings, and, undisputed, the best early game normal type rodent. It's in the top percentage!

Time to post here.
It's alright, kinda cute, but it's also just kinda... there.
It evolves into an HM slave. 'Nuff said.
When was it in the anime? Idk idc.
Probably by standing there menacingly.
Give it Water-typing because for some reason I think that suits it.
*Regigigas stomps on a Bidoof*
Evolving it and slaving it with HMs.
They already have. Lopunny and Regigigas are much better Normal-types than Bidoof.
HM slave. Nuff' said.
Apparently I copied you, Zexy. :p

My suggestion for next week: Mareep, Flaaffy, and Ampharos.

......Yeah, that's why I don't understand at all why it is so loved by some of the fandom. Where does this fervor (to the point of saying it is a being of perfection and revering it higher than Arceus? o_O) came from in the first place?
Again, sorry for I'm being a complete outsider. But, because I'm an outsider, that's why it is interesting to see this extremely ordinary being for some strange unknown reason became loved to death by someone specific. I wanted to know that "strange unknown reason" that is not known by outsiders like me.

......Yeah, that's why I don't understand at all why it is so loved by some of the fandom. Where does this fervor (to the point of saying it is a being of perfection and revering it higher than Arceus? o_O) came from in the first place?
Again, sorry for I'm being a complete outsider. But, because I'm an outsider, that's why it is interesting to see this extremely ordinary being for some strange unknown reason became loved to death by someone specific. I wanted to know that "strange unknown reason" that is not known by outsiders like me.
I think this is the 'so bad it's good' type of situation where Bidoof is so pathetic people will intentionally praise it above actual God Pokemon.

People are basically making fun of Bidoof because none of them actually means what they say.

I think this is the 'so bad it's good' type of situation where Bidoof is so pathetic people will intentionally praise it above actual God Pokemon.

People are basically making fun of Bidoof because none of them actually means what they say.
It is no mean worse than Magikarp, Sunkern, and Unown.

It is no mean worse than Magikarp, Sunkern, and Unown.
bidoof is more of a meme than sunkern and unown. Magikarp is a meme so people put it in front of arceus all the time :^). But Sunkern and unown doesn't look funny and meme enough so people don't like it as much as magikarp and bidoof.

Meh, the whole idea of praising Bidoof for his almighty power and all this stuff doesn't interest me much...
Same goes for Lord Helix and all the TPP stuff.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom