• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax

Life

oh my
Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is the Snorlax line!

240px-446Munchlax.png
240px-143Snorlax.png

Snorlax, formally known as the heaviest Pokémon, was first introduced in Gen I. Following Red and Green's odd capture methods, Snorlax was only obtainable twice: once on Route 12, and once on Route 16. Having some of the highest stats in the game however, Snorlax is worth the patience of whittling down it's health through all the Rests. In the old meta-game, fans took advantage of it's states with the move Curse on a set commonly known as "Curselax."

Snorlax is known to either be eating or sleeping at all times, and doesn't really do anything else. Despite it's size, it's so laid back that children can jump on it's stomach without fear of being attacked! Truly, a gentle giant if there ever was one. Adding on to its carefree nature, Snorlax has also been said to be able to dissolve all types of poisons in its stomach - perhaps this means it will gain a special immunity or ability in the future?

Now in Gen VII, Snorlax adds the powerful new Z-Move Pulverizing Pancake to it's list of attacks. It can only be used once for battle however, when Snorlax holds the Snorlium-Z crystal.

In Gen IV, Munchlax was added to the world. Like Snorlax it's known to eat most of the time it's awake, though it will spend some if it's time hiding food underneath it's fur, despite forgetting it later on. Interestingly, Munchlax was the first Gen IV Pokémon to be introduced, having appearances in the anime, Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, the first Mystery Dungeon and Pokémon Dash.

Munchlax also has the highest stats out of all baby Pokémon, but due to the groups typically low stats to begin with, it's not as noteworthy as its speed, which is actually tied as the lowest amount. Of course, that number doesn't consider how fast a Munchlax can move when there's food in play.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike these Pokémon? Why?
  • How are these Pokémon in-game?
  • How are these Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like these Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think these Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about these Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Do you think Snorlax should be among the Kanto Pokémon to get an Alola Form?
  • How do you feel about Snorlax's special Z-Move?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

Do you like or dislike these Pokémon? Why?
I sure like it. The concept of a lazy but strong Pokemon that only eats and sleeps is nice.
How are these Pokémon in-game?
They are very strong, I've used Snorlax in Generation I and remakes, Generation II and remakes post-game and would use it in Generation VI as well.
How are these Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Snorlax was much better in competitive in former generations. Munchlax is so good for LC it got banned IIRC. Interesting strategies would be Rollout spam and Res-Chesto I guess?
Do you like these Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?

I sure do! Ash's Snorlax was nice, May's Munchlax was nice as well.
How do you think these Pokémon would interact with our world?
Most people wouldn't like to take care of these Pokemon as they'd need lots of food and spend too much time sleeping.
If given the power to, would you change anything about these Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats/Ability, I don't think there's anything else they need.
Do you think Snorlax should be among the Kanto Pokémon to get an Alola Form?
That'd be interesting to see!
How do you feel about Snorlax's special Z-Move?
The name is interesting, I wonder if it will actually involve a pancake. That'd be funny :)

I like these Pokemon. Not top faves, but I have no problems with them. I have used them in-game and competitively and they're pretty awesome, though their usefulness in the competitive environment has waned with each generation when something new and better is released. They have excellent defenses and a great Attack stat. Speed is predictably slow, but Curse comes in handy with these behemoths. That, or Belly Drum and Rest/Chesto Berry for maximum havoc.

Snorlax is one of the few Pokemon that I have a lot of memories watching in the anime. I don't know why. It was always hilarious to me. I remember this one episode where Ash's Snorlax had to be hauled over a mountain since it's Pokeball was damaged. May's Munchlax was cute. I know not too many people were a fan of its portrayal in the anime but I personally thought it was alright.

I would have to imagine these Pokemon would be rare in our world. They'd have to live in a place where food is abundant and there isn't any stiff competition with local humans or animals.

I say yes to an Alolan Munchlax and Snorlax! I love the concept and I hope to see more Pokemon get the regional treatment. =)

Snorlax poses some interesting questions, I think. At first glance you'd think that their huge appetites would equal ecological disaster, but ... well, the anime declares that Snorlax eats 400-900lbs of food when hungry. An elephant will eat about 300lbs in a typical day, and Snorlax also goes to sleep for at least days afterwards. So it's really less of an issue of how much food as what type of food. The anime again shows Snorlax as quite happy to eat huge amounts of vegetation - so we could conclude that wild Snorlax populations would have a definite impact on the land (Similar to the way elephants keep the savannah a grassland due to their habit of uprooting acacia trees to eat).

The big problem would be when Snorlax decide that eating their way through the barley crop is less effort than what they'd normally eat. And they'd probably be difficult to keep away, given that their sheer bulk means they could ignore an awful lot of typical attacks

Munchlax is so good for LC it got banned IIRC.
it's not banned right now if that's what you mean. I don't remember it being banned at anytime either but i could be very very wrong. It is in both PU and LC XD like pawnyard.

Last edited:

Snorlax is one of my favorite gen one pokemon, I just like its design and motif a lot. It is cute. Sadly I lost a lot of interest in it when gen VI had to butcher its model by making it stand up. I like munchlax too, just less.

good

• How are these Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?

Snorlax is fine and Munchlax is ridiculously good for a baby pokemon, like wow its stats are on par with many fully evolved pokemon. I prefer using resttalk on snorlax but I wouldn't mind trying band or somefin one of these days.

• If given the power to, would you change anything about these Pokémon and if so, what would you change?

sit the fuck back down

yes because it's among the select group of kantomons that doesn't suck

hilarious

Last edited:
Snorlax and Munchlax just... exist. I don't have any particularly strong feelings towards either.

I'm not one to tell you, I've never used one of them before.

Snorlax has fallen so very far from its GSC glory days in the competitive scene but I hear that it works well with an Assault Vest. Munchlax? I don't keep track of Little Cup.

• Do you like these Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
There's Ash's Snorlax and May's Munchlax but that's about it. I don't mind their anime representations.

• How do you think these Pokémon would interact with our world?
I legitimately don't know.

Just like I did with Metagross and Light Metal, this is more a change to one of its abilities. Make Thick Fat halve damage from Fighting. Snorlax can't hold up against most Close Combat users.

No, it's fine as it is. Alolan Forms have been a bit too "hit and miss" for my taste so far.

Though hilarious to look at and terrifying to imagine, it should be using Body Slam as the base and not Giga Impact.

Do you like or dislike these Pokémon? Why?
Snorlax is a boss. 'Nuff said.

How are these Pokémon in-game?
It's a fun Pokemon to have along, if you've got a spot on your team for it.
Munchlax is a PITA to catch legitimately in Gen IV, though...

How are these Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Never really used Snorlax competitively...

Do you like these Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Ash's Snorlax winning the Sumo contest was hilarious.
May's Munchlax's Metronomes always ended up being amusing.

How do you think these Pokémon would interact with our world?
Well, there goes our global food supply!

If given the power to, would you change anything about these Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
At the very least, give Munchlax trees a 90% chance of spawning a Munchlax. The fact that it can be found on four, completely randomized in every save file, trees, and it can only be found on those four trees 1% of the time is asinine.

Do you think Snorlax should be among the Kanto Pokémon to get an Alola Form?
Meh. I don't have particularly strong feelings about Alolan forms as yet.

How do you feel about Snorlax's special Z-Move?
It is, quite frankly, the best Z-Move ever invented.

Looking back I'm surprised I haven't used Snorlax yet. And I've played through FRLG so many times too. Well looks like I have another member for that FR dream team I've been planning on doing.

Snorlax is a pretty good Pokemon. Right off the bat it got all the tools it needed to have a strong presence in the games. Good attack stat, great moves, and impressive bulk where it matters (at least initially). The addition of Curse was just the icing on top. It's not seen to often but when a stat boosting move perfectly fits the Pokemon natural strengths and defenses it is just a beautiful thing.

The reveal of Munchlax was a pretty crazy time. I was moderately interested in it but my best friend absolutely loved the little guy. He could not wait to catch one for himself. Too bad Munchlax had one hell of a bad encounter method in its debut games.

Snorlax is very useful in FRLG. It takes hits like a champ (especially when up against Blaine and Lorelei thanks to Thick Fat) and has fantastic attack and a decent movepool to go on the offensive.

I'm super excited about the Munchlax event and Pulverizing Pancake. The only Pokémon other than Rowlet that I currently have planned for my Moon team.

I like this line. The fact that Snorlax often falls asleep on routes and blocks them off is pretty fun. Although slow, it makes up for it with its huge HP stat and good Attack and Special Defence. Its movepool is also very diverse, with moves like Double-Edge, Crunch, Superpower, the elemental punches, Wild Charge, and the rare High Horsepower. Munchlax was a pain to find in Sinnoh games, the special trees should have had at least a 25% chance of containing one instead of measly 1%. I think Snorlax needs to get a reliable recovery move, and it puzzles me it still lacks Slack Off, but I don't know if there are other things about it that need to be changed.

One of the best Pokemon to come from Gen 1. Snorlax is an undoubtedly iconic Pokemon, but unlike Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, I actually enjoy its existence. It's fun, goofy, with memorable personality and characteristics, all things that appeal to me. Plus I do love food and sleep myself! Munchlax isn't bad, I wish it was easier to obtain in Gen 4 though, I wanted to use a Snorlax numerous times in playthroughs of DPPt but the honey tree gimmick is annoying and I've never found one to this day.

I honestly don't think Snorlax should get anything like a regional variant or Mega, I don't think there's many cases where I would say the design is untouchable, but I think Snorlax is one of them. With some, like Muk and Exeggutor, I can understand Game Freak trying another angle to make them more appealing to a wider audience, but Snorlax doesn't need that. It's bad enough that it's constantly standing in its Gen 6+ model (please go back to the laying down ones, it looks so wrong for it to be stood up all the time). Besides, it doesn't need tampering with, especially with how good it is with Gluttony + flavour berries now, it's good enough as it is. Its Z-Move is pretty funny at least though, even if there's not much of a reason to use it when Snorlax finds better use with berries.

ahh yes, my favorite pokemon of all time.

Munchlax is the reason why i love May so much. In Munchlax's debut episode, May was empathetic toward it, and was determined to prove that Munchlax was framed. Munchlax was hilarious in the anime.

Snorlax is also amazing. Wake Up Snorlax is one of, if not my favorite, episode of the anime. Ash's Snorlax was also amazing too. Pulverizing Pancake is my favorite Z-move, along with Let's Snuggle Forever.

Snorlax didn't get an Alolan form, but I'm 95% sure that Snorlax and Munchlax will get a Galarian form. And if they don't do it for Galar, they have to do it eventually.

I like 'em. Snorlax is a good mon. Having one would be both ridiculously fun and ridiculously frustrating at the same time.

...A shame I never used one in any playthroughs.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom