• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist

Life

oh my
Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice are the Pumpkaboo family!

710Pumpkaboo.png
20140822030613%21711Gourgeist.png

Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist are both based on pumpkins, or jack-o-lanters more specifically. First found in Kalos, they come in 4 different sizes, all with varying stats, and exclusive abilities. While more cute and fun than spooky, it's interesting to note that like their counterpart Phantump and Trevenant, they have another spirit inside them, residing in their pumpkin. Whether it's due to something that happened in Kalos, or to add to their ghostly nature, the question reamins of how spirits work in the Pokémon world.

While not necessarily standing out in any medium, Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist are the only two lines with the unique Grass and Ghost typing, along side their counterparts. Pumpkaboo is also notable in the anime for being the capture of Jessie of Team Rocket during the series, who later evolved into a Gourgiest.

The two Pokémon also have a unique move, Trick-or-treat (derived of course from Halloween) which adds the Ghost-typing to the target Pokémon. A new type of move introduced in XY, it gives the line a unique attack opportunity by being able to use Trick-or-treat then following up with Shadow Sneak, allowing for a quick and easy super effective attack.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike these Pokémon? Why?
  • How are these Pokémon in-game?
  • How are these Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like these Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think these Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about these Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Do you like the idea of a a Pokémon that has different size variants, with varying stats and abilities?
  • Would you like to see another holiday-themed Pokémon?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

These Pokemon are pretty interesting! While they're not my cup of tea in what I personally like, I respect that they are pretty popular and have quite a sizable fanbase. Unfortunately, I have never used them in-game or competitively, so my opinion on them in how they handle in battles is moot. They're a bit too gimmicky for my liking and there are plenty of other Ghost-types I'd rather use. I will say it is kind of neat that they can learn Fire-type TMs despite the typing. If they had a better Special Attack, I'd probably take advantage of them! If there's anything I would change about them, I'd probably have it more as an offensive Pokemon than a defensive tank. Switch the Defense stat over to Special Attack. It has an excellent Special movepool that it can take advantage of. Again, there are better Ghost-type Pokemon to do the job in playing tank. Gourgeist is not one of those Pokemon. I'd rather use Jellicent or Dusclops/Dusknoir for that job.

The anime portrayal was really cute! Made me like it a lot more than I initially did. =) Jesse's was a real charming character.

I'd imagine they'd be pretty popular this time of year! I'd own a few of them as Halloween decorations! Holiday-themed Pokemon are a lot of fun. Even if they are gimmicky, I can't say they aren't unique! It would be nice if they released more. An Easter bunny Pokemon? I'd like to see that. =D

Do you like or dislike these Pokémon? Why?
I like them. They're pretty much Halloween pumpkins and come in 4 sizes, how can you not like that?! :p
How are these Pokémon in-game?
Not my kind of favourite. I prefer hyper offense, even in-game. You can also only get it through trade.
How are these Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
I've heard that Gourgeist-XL is useful. Although I'm not a fan of those more defensive strategies.
Do you like these Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Jessie's Gourgeist was really nice! It got some nice development, although if there's one thing I dislike, it is that it didn't get as much development as some Team Rocket Pokemon of previous series.
How do you think these Pokémon would interact with our world?
They would be liked, despite being Ghost-types. They're spooky pumpkins and come in 4 sizes, how can you not like that?! :p
If given the power to, would you change anything about these Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better Ability/stats. I'd only really end up using it if it were a Special tank (with LOTS of Sp. Atk).
Do you like the idea of a a Pokémon that has different size variants, with varying stats and abilities?
Yes but I don't think it would work very well for lots of species.
Would you like to see another holiday-themed Pokémon?
Isn't Delibird one already? :p Anyways, yes, of course I'd like that.

Do not forget GenVII now introduced another new Grass-Ghost pokemon where that adds to the 3rd one. Competitively speaking, Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist are probably BST-wise not better than Decidueye, because all starters final evolution BST float around between 510~540, better than Gourgeist which is only 494. Stats distribution of Gourgeist depends on its size, where it may become a speeder or slow-attacker or defender, so there are many various different way of using Gourgeist. Though due to its learnable move pools are mainly supportive moves, rather than using in single battle, IMO it is better in sending it to multiple battles.

Though, all of these competitive discussion are merely theories on paper. I never breed Gourgeist for competitive battle, and I won't choose Gourgeist for competitive battle, I don't even include Gourgeist in my normal gameplay, it doesn't enter into my list of favourite pokemon, to me it is just another dex-fillermon out there in the wild for me to catch.

Regarding within the Anime, the most well-known Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist shall be the one owned by Jessie. Personally speaking, I don't have any opinions toward it, simply because I don't have any opinion towards anyone from TRio. Well to speak to truth...... I really hope TRio can be gone from the Anime forever. Therefore any pokemon used by TRio (Those individual ones used by TRio, not the entire species) will simply entering into my hate list. Sorry.

And regarding on Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist line within our Real-Life, this shall be the only comment from me: They will be on our table every year during this period of October :coffee::p

I've been reading a bit about Gourgeist and dear God is this one malicious Pokemon. Not only does this thing's absent-minded singing put curses on people but it actively takes joy in ensnaring and tormenting people. Whether by attacking it, jostling it about, or just singing to it as previously mentioned Gourgeist is happy to see its poor captive in pain. I've seen a few great pieces of fan artwork that nicely paint this picture and yeah, it can be pretty terrifying seeing it in action. My favorite one is at 1:58 of this video where Gourgeist is holding its limp victim as it jauntily skips through the night.

Pumpkaboo is pretty cute and I really how its design also has some bat and black cat to go along with the main pumpkin body. The mention of a spirit trapped within its body is very reminiscent of the various stories about the origins of jack-o-lanterns. The most famous stories being that spirits that come out on Halloween use these pumpkins or as residence. There's also the story of the original Jack, later to be known as Jack of the Lantern, who after being denied entrance to heaven and hell came to live in a carved pumpkin (or turnip in the original story) and wandered the earth from time to time.

Trick-or-Treat is a neat move it that it, and its counterpart, actually give the target an additional type instead of replacing its original typing possibly making the target a three-type Pokemon. I also like how this move is kinda alluded to in Gourgeist's Pokedex entries due to how its singing through the night curses whoever hears it since Trick-or-Treat can definitely feel like a curse.

I like this question about holiday themed Pokemon. Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist do an amazing job of representing Halloween. Of the top of my head other holiday Pokemon we have are Delibird and Jirachi that do a pretty ok job representing their holidays. I've seen mention that Azumarill alludes to Easter because it's a bunny and it looks like a painted egg which sure I guess I can see it. Oh and Luvdisc can definitely go with Valentine's Day though it doesn't offer much other than behavior and being heart shaped. I hope we see a turkey Pokemon someday since the idea of a Thanksgiving day Pokemon actually came to mind recently. I think the best we have for a feast Pokemon is Farfetch'd since it's also a bird with which eating it is one of the first things that comes to mind.

Do you like or dislike these Pokémon? Why?
They're cool. Very spooky, especially Gourgeist.

How are these Pokémon in-game?
Never used them.

How are these Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Never tried using them.

Do you like these Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Haven't watched the anime in years.

How do you think these Pokémon would interact with our world?
I imagine people would be afraid of Gourgeist, considering it sings as it kills things.

If given the power to, would you change anything about these Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Nothing, really.

Do you like the idea of a a Pokémon that has different size variants, with varying stats and abilities?
It's strange, to be honest.

Would you like to see another holiday-themed Pokémon?
Yeah, I would. We still need a proper skeleton Pokemon.

I used to dislike them, but now I quite like Gourgeist. I like its size gimmick and the fact it learns damaging Fire moves. Finally getting a strong Ghost attack in Poltergeist really helped it shine in my eyes. I actually like all fully evolved four Grass/Ghost type Pokemon, and I'd love to see Gardenia use at least one on her team post-game in Diamond/Pearl remakes.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom