• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Mimikyu!

250px-778Mimikyu.png
WARNING: There are some spoilers about the Island Trials in Pokemon Sun and Moon ahead.

Mimikyu was introduced in Generation 7 with Pokémon Sun and Moon. It was most notable as the Totem Pokémon of the 6th Island Trial officiated by Acerola. Mimikyu is a Ghost/Fairy type Pokémon, the only one who currently has this type combination. It also has a unique ability, Disguise, which allows it to nullify the damage from the first attack that hits it once per battle. Having a unique type combination gives it access to a fairly distinct movepool, featuring the powerful (and currently only) physical Fairy type attack Play Rough and an assortment of Ghost type moves such as Shadow Sneak, Shadow Claw, and Destiny Bond. It can boost its somewhat mediocre attack stat with Hone Claws or the TM Swords Dance, its ability nicely facilitating setup, and can catch its opponent's off guard with the peculiar but useful Wood Hammer.

Out of all its unique and odd characteristics, the one that likely stands out the most is its likeness to another Pokémon, the ubiquitous mascot of the franchise Pikachu. It's said that Mimikyu is a lonely Pokémon with a terrifying appearance, so it disguises itself as a well-loved Pokémon so other creatures and humans will approach it. Nobody knows exactly what is under its facade; rumor has it that a researcher who was brave enough to peek died from shock.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Do you think Mimikyu is an appropriate Totem Pokémon?
  • If you've made it this far in the game yourself, did you think Mimikyu was a challenging Totem, too easy, or just right?
  • Do you prefer Mimikyu or that prep Pikachu?
  • Do you ever feel sorry for Mimikyu, the loneliest Pokémon?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thanks to @MatrixChap for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I like it. Nice concept, nice typing, nice ability.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Haven't used it, although Totem Mimikyu was a cool fight. More later.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Haven't tried it but Disguise should make for a good ability in competitive.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Yes! I like Jessie's Mimikyu, it has more personality and interactions than Team Rocket Pokemon in the Best Wishes/XY anime. I particularly like its interactions with Meowth.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Some people would be scared of it, others would be touched by its story and want to be friends with it.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Only better stats. Concept/typing/ability are all already good.
Do you think Mimikyu is an appropriate Totem Pokémon?
It felt different than the others who looked bigger and stronger, but it was appropriate.
If you've made it this far in the game yourself, did you think Mimikyu was a challenging Totem, too easy, or just right?
It was one of the most challenging for me, but not too hard.
Do you prefer Mimikyu or that prep Pikachu?
Mimikyu.
Do you ever feel sorry for Mimikyu, the loneliest Pokémon?
Yes. Especially when I listen to its catchy song~

Like, it's cute and an interesting design concept.
    Didn't use it, but I expect it would be pretty good, because...
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
    Z-Splash (covered by disguise) into Play Rough/Shadow Claw. Main drawback is that it's not that fast, but it could use being Baton Passed a speed boost.
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
    Hasn't done much so far, but I think it's had a promising enough start.
    It would go to conventions and trail people in Pikachu costumes
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
    Alternate forms based on other popular pokemon would be interesting.
    Quite.
  • If you've made it this far in the game yourself, did you think Mimikyu was a challenging Totem, too easy, or just right?
    Just right. A single Z-move from my starter after breaking Disguise ended it quickly
    Mimikyu~
    tumblr_oh5nifVb2U1rpn9eno2_400.gif

Aside from how it combines my two favourite Pokémon types, ehh...

I have no first hand experience.

I would use a Swords Dance set to boost it while shielded by Disguise. Z-Splash sounds good but I'd rather be using Z-Conversion from Porygon-Z.

Jessie's Mimikyu is scary as shit and I love it for that.

It would stalk anyone who owns a Pikachu.

It could use better stats.

I can appreciate why it's a Totem Pokémon, Disguise would completely stop a first turn Z Move.

Mimikyu.

It should play with some Cubone, I say.

• Staff
It could use better stats.
I'm not too sure about that, I think its stats are pretty solid. It has a decent amount of bulk, especially on the special side. It's decently fast, has ok attack that is easily boosted with Swords Dance, Hone Claws, or Z-Splash, and it's never going to get one-shot by anything so you'll always have the chance to do something. It's like a better Sturdy. If we're looking at its base stat total, it's higher than a lot of solid fully evolved Pokémon like Manectric, Trevenant, and Gastrodon.

Would it be broken with some more HP or attack power? Nah, but it feels pretty well balanced for what it is. Better than something like Togedemaru for sure.

I love it because it has an interesting (though sad) lore behind it and it's ADORABLE:)

I only used one for a short time, but he was great. Nice speed and attack and a great ability that allowed him to be safe for switching in.

Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
The only one that we've seen in the anime is a full-on Pikachu hater, which imo doesn't make sense since it intentionally disguises itself as the thing. It seems like they made it that way just as an excuse to give it to a villain which I don't to much care for...

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Nope, it's perfect:)

It honestly seemed kind of weird to me, but I guess there wasn't really another fitting ghost they could use...

If you've made it this far in the game yourself, did you think Mimikyu was a challenging Totem, too easy, or just right?
It was probably the hardest Totem for me. She one-shot 3 of my Pokemon before they could do any real damage to her. Plus her ghostly buddies would put my Pokemon to sleep making it even harder to do anything. It was only because I had a Tsareena with attack-lowering Trop Kick that I was able to beat that thing.

Pikachu. I just find it cuter. Plus I love Riachu.

About 99% of the time. I honestly wish we could get more than one Friend/Love ball in the Sun/Moon so I could catch some in them. That 1% I don't feel sorry for them is when NPCs' Mimikyu say creepy things to me like "Me...me curse you." WTH, I didn't do anything:eek:

I like it quite a lot. It's cute. And kinda creepy. :D
Have yet to use one, but it looks pretty good just from what I've seen.
Haven't watched the anime.
Probably attempt to replace Pikachu. :p
Nah, it's solid.
Meh. Not exactly what I'd pick.
Challenging for sure. D:
Mimikyu. Barely, but I'd go for that.
Never really thought about it. I doubt it's actually the loneliest, but I'd still cherish it with Pokémon Refresh. :D

Mimikyu's one of my favourite pokémon from this generation - should have been Alola's version of the PIkaclone, in my opinion. It would have made for an amusing curveball, and be in keeping with SM's general self-mockery.

Fans: We're so tired of all these fake ass Pikachus Gamfreak wants us to love unconditionally!

Gamefreak: Yo everybody, check out this brand new Pokemon! It's a literal fake Pikachu!

Fans: OH MY GOD, we love it so much! Unconditionally even!!

I'm not sure if it is considered a Pika-clone but damn does it ever have the love and attention Gamefreak has wanted for them! Mimikyu is pretty great all around: it's spooky and adorable at the same time, it has great typing and ability making it pretty good in battles, and its backstory makes it oddly sympathetic. The anime version deserves special mention since its personality comes in contrast with the general description of the species, yet it still works well and builds on its individual character! Mimikyu is definitely one of my new favorites and I'll be sure to make good use of one real soon.

I like it's concept, just too bad it's stuck dressed as the dreaded electric rat. :| I wish it could evolve or something like Type: Null.
: ) Annoying.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Kill it. Kill it fast. Crush it with the Mud Horse.
Apparently Anime!Mimikyu hates Pikachu more than anything. I love this Mimikyu. I want Jesse to keep this baby forever. All of my thumbs up. All of everyone else's thumbs up. 100/10 best pokemon.
It would have all the love it seems to lack in the pokemon world, if Tumblr's anything to go by.
8) Until its Disguise is broken it takes 1/4th damage instead of NONE. *throws heavy slam Mudsdale at it* 8D
There's only 3 other new ghosts in Alola. One lives underwater and the other two are literal piles of sand so I suppose there aren't really other options.
MUDSDALE USED HEAVY SLAM. TOTEM MIMIKYU DIED. WOO!
8) Kill the mouse, take his house. Kill the mouse, take his house.
It's well loved by the fandom so I think it's doing alright. It deserves to be more liked than the rat.

I love Mimikyu and I feel so damn bad for it. I caught the first one I encountered after clearing the Ghost trial to give her (I caught a female) a home, and I never let her battle because I didn't want to see her get hurt. I had a headcanon that she was like the "baby" of the team and that the other three (Decidueye, Primarina and Incineroar) were like her parents.

Okay, actually it's more like Deci and Prima were the mom and dad and Inci was the cool uncle. I shipped my Deci and Prima =P

Mimikyu's design is okay. When it was revelated I though that it was too late for having a Pikachu evil counterpart, but now I think that it's quite cool to have a ghost version of your mascot franchise running around. Who doesn't love its tail or its large claw? I have doubts on choosing where its eyes are, through.

It's in its description where things get a bit iffy. I think it's quite hipocritical that in real life we're all about "Be yourself and you will be loved" and then a creature comes dressed up like someone else and we have to feel sorry for it because "it's the only way it can be loved". Not buying that bullshit at all. I won't like you if you don't like yourself.

I prefer its anime description by a mile...a thousand miles. He hates Pikachu so much that he would even say bad words about him! Yet as an irony he is dressed like him. It would work better for its game version too. Imagine the Totem battle as finding a dangerous creature around the things he hates...

- Oh, I love it! It's one of my favorites from the Gen VII wave. A very fun, very amusing, very endearing bit of self-aware humor, and it's perfect for the anniversary. It's also got an interesting type combination, and a fittingly cute-but-somewhat-eerie design for a Ghost/Fairy type.

- Well, that's the thing about it being meta humor. Probably in much the same way that it interacts with the world in-game, because Pikachu is marketed with extreme prominence in our world. But, judging by the fans' reactions to it, I don't think it'd have a lot of trouble in finding people who would accept it.

- My mind keeps going back and forth on whether or not I'd prefer for it to be called Pikaboo.

- You know, that's where it gets sort of weird, isn't it? We're to believe that Mimikyu are a species, but doesn't it seem a bit odd for an entire species to collectively arrive at the decision to dress up like Pikachu in order to be accepted? From that perspective, I almost think it would work better to say that it's just one specific Mimikyu that disguises itself as a Pikachu, and maybe that Mimikyu would be the Totem Pokémon that we encounter, but then of course, we wouldn't be able to capture one for ourselves unless it was the undisguised version (or if it had a different disguise - hello, potential alternative forms).

- God yeh. Totem Mimikyu + Gengar was a deadly combination for me, since I had both a Decidueye and a Marowak on my team, and no Dark type. Sandshrew and Golem (who was a last-minute addition to my team, and whom I hurriedly trade-evolved specifically because I needed more power for the Totem battle) are what helped me claw my way through, but it was still very difficult. But that was fun! I liked being forced to come up with a counter-strategy. I'd have normally never thought to lead with Z-Stealth Rock.

- Mimikyu, but I've no ill feelings toward Pikachu (well, actually, I do, but only because it pulls too much attention away from Raichu).

- And here I thought Cubone was the Lonely Pokémon. :p I do feel compelled to give Mimikyu a consoling pat on the back, yes.

I LOVE IT! It's my mascot of Gen VII. I love this creature!~ Its cute, got super cool lore, actually got a good moveset in game; this Pokemon is my life. *w*
Its ability is great for in-game battles in giving you a free turn for recovery, plus, it gets a lot of good moves and it can hold its own with its stats.
Pretty good. Its ability basically gives it a free turn to set up Swords Dance and its got a bunch of different moves to make use of, so it's actually a very good Pokemon~
It's hilarious. I just love that gives no fuks except killing Pikachu and how Meowth is to scared to even translate its thoughts. It just sounds Satanic.
Plotting its cultish revenge on the Pikachu of the world.
I think I would just give it a biiittt of a stat boost to Attack and maybe Speed, but it's already perfectly viable in competitive and has a huge movepool to make use of.
Yep, I think it fits well since it does serve the role of a gimmick Pokemon.
It was a considerable Challenge. The ability makes it a force to be reckoned with if unsuspecting players try to Z-move on the first turn and the Lum Berry makes it even tougher. Add its calls for help to Haunter and Gengar to keep putting you to sleep and you debate taking them out or the one recking your team with Play Roughs, and you may be forced into some grinding sessions.
The only thing Pikachu's got going for is against Goddess Mimikyu is evolving into my favorite Pokemon, so I'm gonna go with the paper bag mon~
I cri evrytiem 3':

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom