• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, and Ampharos

SirOni

Driving You Batty
Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is the Ampharos line!

240px-179Mareep.png
240px-180Flaaffy.png

240px-181Ampharos.png
240px-181Ampharos-Mega.png

Coming to us from Gen II Mareep, Flaaffy, and Ampharos are Electric-type Pokemon heavily based on sheep. The family’s Electric-typing as well as its main ability Static come from the tendency for wool to build up a static charge. This tendency could also have informed its hidden ability Plus because during the electron exchange that leads to an object becoming charged with static electricity wool will usually lose electrons which gives it a positive charge. Mareep, Flaaffy, and especially Ampharos are popular emitters of light with Ampharos having the power to shine its tail light so brightly that it can be seen through miles of darkness and can even be visible from space. This magnificent brilliance has been employed for generations as a lighthouse fixture beaconing lost people and guiding sailors out at sea. Its use as a lighthouse light has also influenced the design of Ampharos the Pokemon itself is very tall and brightly colored with dark bands on it's neck and tail. Its English name has also taken from this since the “pharos” part of it come from the Greek word pharos meaning lighthouse. Whenever they have been available early enough Mareep have proven to be popular Pokemon to take on the whole game with due to their value in battle and their general cuteness. Being a useful type that has at times been difficult to obtain early on as well as boasting decent defenses along with pretty impressive attack power has gone some way to contribute to this Pokemon’s popularity. Once it has reached its final stage it gains access to some good coverage and a powerful new form.

In Gen VI Ampharos was one of the very first Pokemon to receive a Mega Evolution. As a Mega Evolved Pokemon Mega Ampharos sees gains to its offenses and defenses and it also becomes a Dragon-type. The addition of the Dragon-type in part comes from the different readings of Ampharos’ Japanese name, Denryu. The word denryū can be taken to mean “electrical current”, but when it is read as den ryū it can mean “electric dragon”. It has also been speculated that its new Dragon-type aspects may also inspired by the Japanese goddess Otohime who is also known as Toyotamahime. Roughly meaning “luminous jewel princess” Toyotamahime was the daughter of Ryujin, the dragon god of the sea. In her most well known tale she turns into a dragon after giving birth to return to her ocean domain. From this myth Mega Ampharos could easily take after the image of Toyotamahime with its long luxurious hair and its cluster of red jewels that can each shine as brightly as Ampharos’ original tail jewel. While Mega Ampharos hasn’t seen as much usage as other Mega Evolutions it had definitely made a great impact with its debut and is a great reliable team member whenever it can see use.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • As one of the first Mega Evolutions do you think this Pokemon did a good job of showcasing what Mega Evolution can be?
  • Ampharos becoming a Dragon-type is something that some people have been suggesting that should happen for some time before Gen VI. Was this a notion that you supported and how do you feel about this idea that was supported by some fans becoming reality?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thanks to @MatrixChap for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week.

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love them. All three. So cuuuute.
Pretty good as far as I can tell. Mareep and Flaaffy were pretty helpful in my Black 2 run.
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Er...
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Blech, I can't remember any anime appearances. :T
Ampharos would probably act like how Amphy does in the Johto games; a living lighthouse!
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Make Ampharos bigger :3
  • As one of the first Mega Evolutions do you think this Pokemon did a good job of showcasing what Mega Evolution can be?
Oh yeah, definitely.
  • Ampharos becoming a Dragon-type is something that some people have been suggesting that should happen for some time before Gen VII. Was this a notion that you supported and how do you feel about this idea that was supported by some fans becoming reality?
I wasn't really a part of the Pokémon community back then, sooo...

Thanks a lot for showcasing this line! I'll suggest the Bounsweet line this time.

When gen 2 debuted I loved ampharos,I still love most electric pokemon.

Never used it competitively but I didn't learn about IV/EV training till Ora's.

Interaction in real world would be interesting,talk about sheep that don't need a shepherd.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I laa-ike it. Because it's flaa-fy :)
How is this Pokémon in-game?
It was nice in HGSS, available before the 1st gym and with early evolutions. It was also good in B2W2 where it was also available early.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Never used it in competitive so idk. But Mega Ampharos' typing, ability and stats should've helped.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I do. I liked the lighthouse Ampharos, the Flocessy Ranch Pokemon (and how it was used to teach Thunder Punch to Iris' Dragonite) and Meyer's Ampharos (which should've done a bit more, would like to see it interact with Blaziken too). Didn't like how Mareep/Flaafy had to be thrown in a filler in Johto as well as the episode where Brock's Mudkip evolved focused too much on a filler-ish plot involving it.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Mareep/Flaafy would be raised like sheep except that their electric wool would have some different uses from the wool we're used to in this world. Ampharos could've been used in old lighthouses or be electricians' partners and would also be a nice Pokemon to raise as a Trainer, I believe.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Ampharos always felt a little strange without all the wool Mareep/Flaafy had. I would let it have some more wool in its regular form instead of it being a Mega-only thing. I also never felt like Dragon-type suits it, even for Mega. A better moveset would always help, the abilities are fine, stats-wise I think Mega Ampharos should've reduced the Attack too.
As one of the first Mega Evolutions do you think this Pokemon did a good job of showcasing what Mega Evolution can be?
It did very well. It got a type and an ability that made it much more viable, a very different design that still fits it a lot, the story behind it all is interesting, its Speed was actually lowered (which shows how Mega Evolution is a change, not a simple boost). As said above, I think reducing Attack as well would convey the message better.
Ampharos becoming a Dragon-type is something that some people have been suggesting that should happen for some time before Gen VII. Was this a notion that you supported and how do you feel about this idea that was supported by some fans becoming reality?
I had no clue of the story behind it, and even though I knew its Japanese name I never made the connection to Dragon. I actually considered the addition of the type as something strange even though it helped and never thought more about it until now. Now that I know I think it was a well done concept.

- I like it. Like with the Hoppip line, I've got fond nostalgic memories of it from the days of GSC, and particularly from its TCG cards. I don't think I ever used one in the games back then, though. My first experience with a Mareep in-game was probably when I first played HeartGold in 2011, and then again either in 2014 or 2015 on one of my XY runs. Design-wise, they've got an amusing in-joke (electric sheep), and they all look good. Flaaffy is probably my favorite of them - the mix of pink, black, white, and then that blue orb is a lovely arrangement of color, and is pleasantly atypical for an Electric type.

- Solid team member both times.

- Depends on how viable its wool would be as blankets and clothes, I'd imagine. We'd almost certainly take the Pokémon world's cue and use Ampharos in lighthouses, and maybe have them act as spotlights as well (either for plays, or for stuff like firefighting or police helicopters).

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?

- I'm not the biggest fan of how Mega Ampharos's ears look. I prefer the more conical ears on base Ampharos.

As one of the first Mega Evolutions do you think this Pokemon did a good job of showcasing what Mega Evolution can be?

- Yeah, I'd say so. It illustrates at once the potential to change type, Ability, and appearance. Additionally, one of the original goals of Mega Evolution was to elevate some of the common Pokémon to the level of Legendary Pokémon, and turning Ampharos into a miniature Zekrom does achieve that feeling.

Ampharos becoming a Dragon-type is something that some people have been suggesting that should happen for some time before Gen VI. Was this a notion that you supported and how do you feel about this idea that was supported by some fans becoming reality?

- I'd never heard anybody suggest it before Gen VI, but I do like the decision. It's another fun little pun, and it gave us our second Dragon+Electric combination (it's a combo that I really like). On top of that, Mega Ampharos is certainly an unusual image for a dragon, being, in truth, a sheep, but with wool that resembles the clouds in which Eastern-style dragons are sometimes depicted as being wreathed. Like with Goomy and Zygarde 10% Forme, I love this - it's a quirkier, more interesting way to portray a dragon.

Last edited:
It's alright, I suppose.

I never used it before Gen VI so I can't say much.

I enjoyed using Agility with Mega Ampharos to fix that speed. If I remember correctly, it was capable of outspeeding Greninja after the boost.

Favourably, I reckon. It'd be a great help to us humans.

I'd give it Tail Glow. Flash Cannon would be an alternative choice though.

Yes, definitely. It made clear how a Pokémon can be altered like never before. It made Mawile broken, for one example.

• Ampharos becoming a Dragon-type is something that some people have been suggesting that should happen for some time before Gen VI. Was this a notion that you supported and how do you feel about this idea that was supported by some fans becoming reality?
I never had an opinion on this because I didn't care for Ampharos earlier. I liked the way a fan idea reached fruition, but Mega Charizard X's anime actions spoiled that thought later on.

It's a cute and fluffy sheep line what's not to love?
I never got to use them much. <-< Last time I nuzlocked I didn't get one until lake of rage and then the poor thing got killed in the ice gym.
Mareep would be raised for wool. They'd be encouraged to not evolve since they can't make wool once they reach their final form.
Make it more fluffy.
Eh, I don't care for mega evolution. Mega Ampharos is just an ampharos with hair instead of wool. Mehhhh.
Ampharos becoming a Dragon-type is something that some people have been suggesting that should happen for some time before Gen VI. Was this a notion that you supported and how do you feel about this idea that was supported by some fans becoming reality?
Why would I support a sheep becoming a dragon?? The not-dragon-looking-at-all bird already grinds my gears. I forgot Mega Ampharos is a dragon type and now it's bugging me again. Make it fairy or something else that'd suit it better. :|

I've always had a soft spot for this line. It's caught early, evolves early, learns useful moves like thunder wave and does pretty well against most of the rival's pokemon as long as he didn't have the grass starter (until you get fire punch that is). I ended up using it more than my starter most of the time since it was rarely at a disadvantage.

If this line were real I'd imagine there wouldn't be much change from how it's used in the Pokemon world. Wool, light and electricity are all things we still rely on. Though a wool farmer would probably spend a lot on everstones.

Did it do a good job at showcasing mega evolution? I'd say no it doesn't get that much better, the dragon type barely shows and it's pretty out of focus compared to Lucario, the Kanto starters, Gardevoir and Gyarados.

Ampharos becoming a Dragon type? Sure why not? This type is handed out like Halloween candy these days and many weirder things have got this type.

Mareep= super cute ---> Flaaffy= plucked chicken ---> Ampharos= clumsy giraffe.

Mareep is kind of cute, and so is Ampharos, but Flaaffy looks like a raw turkey, I just don't like its design at all. I used to also dislike Mega Ampharos when it was first revealed, but eventually it had grown on me. In fact, I like it better than standard Ampharos now. It even gets Agility to patch up its awful Speed. I wish it could learn a few more Special Attacks, though. I like the fact Mega Ampharos' typing is a pun on its Japanese name. I liked Jasmine's Amphy in the games quite a lot. It was nice to see a Gym Leader appear slightly less one-dimensional and more like a real person .

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom