• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird

Life

oh my
Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Delibird!

240px-225Delibird.png

First appearing in the Ice Path of the Johto region, Delibird's bright design and wacky signature move, Present, help the Pokémon stand out among others in the region. With a fluffy tail and Christmas-themed plumage, the Delivery Pokémon strikes joy into the heart of lost, traveling Johtoans, who it may offer food to if they're lucky. In fact, this tendency of Delibird is so well-known that its Ruby & Saphire Pokédex entries state that without lending it's food, a famous hiker would have failed to climb Mt. Everest!

And without it's tail, Delibird wouldn't be able to store most of it's food. Doubling as a bag, the tail is the origin for how Delibird may use the move Present, as it randomly throws anything in it towards its opponent, which is why there is a chance for 4 different effects to occur. The tail also bolsters Delibird's representation of Santa Clause, acting as Santa's toy bag. This image of course is helped by it's Ice typing, color scheme, and tendency to deliver "Presents" upon cold mountainous areas.

But despite Delibird's preference for cold mountains, it's Alolan Pokédex entries do state that it may adjust and live in warmer climates if it so chooses, explaining the Pokémon's unusual appearance in the Alola region, helping out the berry farmer on Route 2.

In the anime, Delibird ironically visits the Team Rocket Trio to collect, not deliver, money for the Rocket Organization, supposedly in the form of the member's dues. Making appearances all the way to the Black and White seasons, it tended to take whatever money the trio had earned in a certain episode.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for it?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon, and if so, what would you change?
  • Being the only non-Legendary Pokémon with the typing, do you think Delibird does justice to it's Ice/Flying type?
  • Are you a fan of its signature move, Present? Would you like to see other Pokémon learn it by leveling-up in the future, or should it stay exclusive to Delibrd?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

DELIBIRD

I love Delibird ok, it's in my top 3 of favourite mons. There's just something about its design that makes me adore it and the way it flies in the overworld in Sun/Moon had made me love it even more. And it likes to share food with people, that's just adorable, best birb <3

I've used a Delibird in HGSS and it was absolutely terrible, kept on dying and could hardly do any damage. This will however not stop me from using this magnificent bird again in my Sun playthrough.

I would not change a thing about its design, but I would like it to be a bit more viable, so more people can love this precious bird. Some stat changes and more moves/TM's it can learn would probably help.

There is a question about its physiology when I just looking at this bird.
It is a penguin, a bird that cannot fly. How it can fly in the sky all the way up to the highest mountain in the world with that small pair of wings? Additionally, with a tail that stuffs so many items inside, how it can carry all the heavy weight flying long distance and without resting?
This bird maybe is in fact more physically stronger than Braviary......:cautious: Don't be deceived by its tiny look! o_O

I've never used a delibird in any game playthrough,and it's usually one of the last things I get to fill a Pokedex.

I just never encounter it,but when considering a flying type I've always overlooked it because it just don't seem viable.

I put it in the class of Pokemon with castform,and smeargle.
Kinda cool to have but I'd never fight with it

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Dislike because it's a bad Pokémon. Delibird can't pull its weight.

• How is this Pokémon in-game?
Not very good.

• How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for it?
It could use Aerial Ace with Hustle, but that's about it.

• If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon, and if so, what would you change?
If I listed everything I wanted to change about Delibird, we'd be here until next Christmas.

• Being the only non-Legendary Pokémon with the typing, do you think Delibird does justice to it's Ice/Flying type?
Nope. The combo's rather weak anyway, it's not one I'd revisit.

• Are you a fan of its signature move, Present? Would you like to see other Pokémon learn it by leveling-up in the future, or should it stay exclusive to Delibrd?
Not a fan. The fact that other Pokémon get that useless move through breeding is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

I like its shape and its bag-tail.

I like its shape and its bag-tail.
It does have a very nice, simple but distinctive shape to it. That's one of my favorite things about it. It just has a really solid design. I could easily see it being a comedic sidekick character in some low budget anime.

It does have a very nice, simple but distinctive shape to it. That's one of my favorite things about it. It just has a really solid design. I could easily see it being a comedic sidekick character in some low budget anime.

LOL why only a low budget one???

Yeah, it's shape is cute in a chubby and clumsy kind of way. It reminds me of an old lady.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Yes, because of the interesting typing, design and concept.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
It's not good...
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for it?
Use Present and hope RNG is with you :p
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Yes; the Delibird chasing Team Rocket around in Johto was nice.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Children would like it if it were to give them presents... that don't explode.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon, and if so, what would you change?
Much better stats, better (and less redundant to each other) Abilities.
Being the only non-Legendary Pokémon with the typing, do you think Delibird does justice to it's Ice/Flying type?
Not really, which is why it should either get fixed a bit or we should get another non-Legendary Ice/Flying type that's a bit better.
Are you a fan of its signature move, Present? Would you like to see other Pokémon learn it by leveling-up in the future, or should it stay exclusive to Delibrd?
I'd rather only see it on Pokemon that give presents... right now I can't think of any other. But if there is one I don't remember/another one is released later, I wouldn't mind at all.

There is a question about its physiology when I just looking at this bird.
It is a penguin, a bird that cannot fly. How it can fly in the sky all the way up to the highest mountain in the world with that small pair of wings? Additionally, with a tail that stuffs so many items inside, how it can carry all the heavy weight flying long distance and without resting?
This bird maybe is in fact more physically stronger than Braviary......:cautious: Don't be deceived by its tiny look! o_O
lmao
well, thinking better, makes more sense Delibird being able to fly than Duduo flying. o_O
After all they are pokemons based on real life fauna, flora, and objects , they are not straighly animals :D

Hehe, I completely forgot about it getting both Vital Spirit and Insomnia. That's hilarious.

I like Delibird. Not enough to rank it as a favourite, but it's cute enough. I had a plush of it somewhere too, which was as equally cute.

I wish they would give it Work Up, which is originally called Cheer Up in the Japanese games. It's a literal present-giving Santa penguin, it makes too much sense it should learn the move. Also give it Refrigerate over one of the sleep-immune abilities too, since the two of those are pointless together. Refrigerate Fake Out/Quick Attack and Return would at least help it out slightly (it needs some stat boosts too).

I used a Spikes setting Focus Sash Delibird early in Gen VI's metagame and it seemed not many people knew it learned Destiny Bond. It was surprisingly not as bad as I imagined, not great but when you remember it's Delibird it was good enough.

I like the Ice/Flying type too. Hopefully we get a two or three stage evolution line with the type at some point, because it's, well, cool.

Delibird is pretty cute, but sadly next to useless. It doesn't help that in its debut generation, it had a low chance of showing up in Ice Path only and had an annoying tendency to flee from battles. Its movepool is actually decent (it even gets the rare Freze-Dry), but its poor stats still let it down horribly, and giving it both Insomnia and Vital Spirit was a troll move. I like the fact it gets Drill Peck naturally in Generation VII, since Present is just a joke attack.

Delibird is... okay, I think? It's not exactly my first choice to put on a team or anything, but I always figured that its existence never really hinged on whether or not it could battle, but rather it's a fun, gimmicky Pokemon and I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom