• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is the Pidove family, in honor of Pi Day this past Tuesday.
240px-519Pidove.png

240px-520Tranquill.png

240px-521Unfezant.png

Debuting in Generation V's region of Unova, Pidove represents the numerous pigeons that are commonly found all over New York City. The standard early game Normal/Flying type, Pidove is likely to be one of the first Pokémon you encounter on your journey through Unova.

In addition to taking inspiration from the many pigeons of New York, Pidove and its evolution Tranquill also take inspiration from doves, with Tranquil being reminiscent of homing pigeons and even the greater roadrunner (meep meep!).
Their final evolution, Unfezant, is based on the pheasant, the turkey, and the greater roadrunner (meep meep!). Additionally, with its brightly colored plumage on the males, and more drab and dull appearance of the females, Unfezant represents the idea of sexual dimorphism, which causes the males and females of a species to have differences beyond just their genders.

This is interesting to note, as it is reflective of Darwin's Theory of Evolution, since, in the real world, there are usually evolutionary advantages for sexual dimorphism. In the case of birds, the males tend to have brighter plumage in order to attract mates, while the females' duller colors are better for camouflage. This leaves open the possibility that evolution in the Pokémon world and the Theory of Evolution might not be mutually exclusive.

Ash caught a Pidove in the Best Wishes season of the anime. Ultimately, it managed to evolve into an Unfezant and defeated Skyla's Unfezant earning Ash his sixth Unovan Gym badge. That was pretty much her only shining moment in the anime.

Competitively, Unfezant has below average abilities and a fairly shallow movepool. It does have access to some interesting moves, such as Hypnosis, Roost, U-Turn, Taunt, and Heatwave, but personally, I'd be more inclined to try taking advantage of the Super Luck ability. Unfortunately, the only moves that Unfezant learns that compliment Super Luck are Night Slash, via breeding, and Air Cutter, which is a special attack.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
-Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
-How is this Pokémon in-game?
-How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
-How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
-How does the Pidove family compare to its fellow early game Normal/Flying types?
-How does the Pidove family compare to other Unova Pokémon?
-What do you think about sexual dimorphism in the Pokémon World?

Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola

This Pokémon line is one that I'm split on. on the one hand, it's the fifth time we've seen a Normal-Flying early game bird line (I do appreciate Talonflame's attempt to shake things up a little). But on the other hand, I do think Pidove has the strongest design of all the first-stage early birds, and Unfezant is at least a bit more colorful than your average last stage. So it's meh to me. I feel that Noctowl, Staraptor, and of course Talonflame are the superior birds.

Of course, it's definitely not one for battle, and when Pidgeot received a Mega Evolution Unfezant was left in the gutter. Its biggest problem is that its stats and movepool just don't really match up well. If its Attack and Special Attack were swapped, or if it were given better physical moves it might be decently usable. But for now, Unfezant sits at the bottom of the stack of regional birds, competitively speaking.

I dislike it more than I like it. Design isn't too bad with the exception of female Unfezant that just feels so lackluster compared to the male. Yet the typing, the fact that they're the fifth of a series of regional birds and most others are better than them, the way it was handled in the Best Wishes anime, the lackluster movepool and stats (imo)...
Not that good. So many better options to use.
-How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Haven't even tried.
-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Ash's Unfezant could've been handled better. For one I'd prefer a male one just because of design. But even with the female one, it didn't really stand out much in the team, maybe with the exceptions of the two episodes where it evolved... but even then those were evolutions that justified Gym Badges so I'm not happy about that either.
Some people would find them cute.
-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Somewhat better design for the female, better stats, better Ability, maybe even a different type in place of Normal.
-How does the Pidove family compare to its fellow early game Normal/Flying types?
Feels quite lackluster, except maybe Noctowl/Swellow which seem weaker because they are not two-stage-evolution lines. But even Swellow has Guts.
A bit lackluster in this department as well.
I like the idea, I would like to see it more. Yet for this Pokemon I feel like they could've done a better job with the female's design.

Pidove is cute but the evos are just yuck (sorry....well not really lol).

Feels quite lackluster, except maybe Noctowl/Swellow which seem weaker because they are not two-stage-evolution lines. But even Swellow has Guts.
Also Swellow makes up for is slightly below average low attack with outstanding speed. Of course Guts helps too, but even in-game I always really enjoyed using Swellow, but Unfezant just feels really limited by its movepool and low speed

Noctowl is just disappointing all around unfortunately :(

Also Swellow makes up for is slightly below average low attack with outstanding speed. Of course Guts helps too, but even in-game I always really enjoyed using Swellow, but Unfezant just feels really limited by its movepool and low speed

Noctowl is just disappointing all around unfortunately :(
Yeah I used Swellow too and it was good in-game.

Noctowl was nice in the anime, though.

I don't have much to say about this one. It's kinda just disappointing and (forgive me) dull, so I have nothing of value to say about it, sorry. I do quite like Pidove in its own way though, I think that's because pigeons are derpy little things that I can't help but find amusing.

Also give Unfezant Brave Bird please. It's so stupid that it doesn't get it.

• Staff
Even if Unfezant is rather dull and lackluster as a Pokémon, especially compared to its immediate predecessor, Staraptor, and successor, Talonflame, I do still feel like it has a niche discussion point, which I brought up in the OP.

Sexual dimorphism in the Pokémon universe is evidence of a Darwinian style evolution being at play. This would mean that Darwinian evolution, and concepts such as "natural selection" and "survival of the fittest" actually do exist in the Pokémon World.
How does this compare to the evolution mechanic of the Pokémon games? Or IVs? What about the breeding mechanic?

There are so many different variables that open up here as a result of this, that I might just end up writing a crackpot theory about it...at some undisclosed time in the future.

It's almost like they were trying to set Unfezant apart by NOT giving it useful moves like Brave Bird... which is terrible design

Can next you do Darkrai and Cresellia?

Yes. An actual Pidgion since Pidgey aint one.
Not the best Flying-Type, but still useful against Clay and Bugsy
I never watched too much, but it helped Ash get his Snivy.
It wouldn’t change that much.
Give it moves that actually would help it.
Like most, not as good as other options. Pokemon like Pidgeot M, Talonflame, and Toucannon are notable exceptions.
A very good Pokemon to battle Bugsy with since Sigiliph isn’t avalible yet. But again, other Flying types do a better job.
Intresting, to say le least.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Eh...Unfezant itself is okay but I've never been fond of its preevos at all. I have tried using them in battle and they just don't cut it for me.

How is this Pokémon in-game?
Like I said, I don't really like it. Maybe if it learnt more physical attacks, or actually had better sp.attack, maybe I'll consider.

How does the Pidove family compare to its fellow early game Normal/Flying types?
It's probably my least favourite of the bunch.

How does the Pidove family compare to other Unova Pokemon?
Probably also my least fav gen5 mon.

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
I would certainly improve it's movepool, such as give it attacks such as Slash or Night slash or at the very least, something to diffrentiate it from the other starting flyers. Or hell, boost it's special attack so Air cutter and Air slash would actually work on it.

Pidove is a really neat and cute design. I wish the line as specially-oriented so that it could make better use of its move pool and set itself apart from the other early birds.

It's rather interesting that Unfezant was one of Alain's League Finals team members. A lot of people were assuming that he would have yet another hardcore Pokemon, but instead it was underdog Unfezant. I remember some people really did not like that Alain's team was all conventionally powerful Pokemon and desired for him to have something that was "actually good". Pretty funny imo.

Like most of the early birds, it is really boring. I suppose male unfezant is slightly better than most of them, but that is really not an accomplishment at all. I guess I kinda sorta like it anyway for whatever reason. It's a shame drill peck isn't a crit move like it should be, and that it doesn't get it, would be fun to take advantage of super luck with. Speaking of super luck, the op is wrong, sky attack has a high crit ratio as well, and it's at least a lot more useful than air cutter would ever be.

It's pretty much in the middle for me. I don't hate it, but it is probably my least favorite of the early route birds. After the amazingness of the Starly family, the Unfezant-line just felt so...lame.

I can't remember if I've ever used one, but I'm sure it's decent enough to get one through most games. Maybe not DPPT or SunMoon cuz those games can be really hard...

Did't get to see it much since Ash rotated his team then, an whoever was in charge seemed to never want to give poor Unfezant any screen time :/ But I guess it was fine. Skyla's Unfezant was pretty badass in the gym battle.

Like a bird :/

Learnset could be better... Also, I know the male is supposed to be more colorful due to the theme surrounding this thing, but I wish the female's underside wasn't brown. Maybe the male could have had a colorful chest in addition to his pink crest and and green underside. Then the female could have had maybe a purple underside

Honestly, pretty lousy. The others just have way more interesting designs, better stats, and/or better learnsets overall. If it wasn't for the gender differences, Unfezant wouldn't really have anything going for it :/ I can only really give it credit for a pretty cool looking mind-stage mon, because I've always thought Traquill was one of the better, if not the best, middle forms among the birds.

Lot's of Unova Pokemon are ugly. Pidove line is just boring. So I'd say it ranks high on the Unova scale of best mons.

I wish there was more honestly. Having Pokemon with gender differences makes them that much more interesting and adds a bit more diversity, so I'd like to see more of them myself.

It's kind of boring compared to most Gen V 'mons (I love Gen V in general), especially compared to its fellow Gen V Normal/Flying-type, Braviary. I was honestly hoping Braviary would be the "regional bird" when it was revealed. It's neat to have an actual pigeon, at least, especially in a region based on NYC.

Pidove and Tranquill are boring, but I like the fact Unfezant demonstrates the idea of sexual dimorphism in Pokemon. Unfortunately, this is the best thing it has going for it. Its abilities are underwhelming at best, and even Super Luck is only useful for Night Slash, since Air Cutter is special-based and Sky Attack requires a turn to charge up. The lack of a strong and reliable Flying attack is a glaring flaw, too. Overall, it just failed to impress me, especially after Generation IV's Staraptor.
Ash's Unfezant in the anime was really disappointing. Her moveset wasn't all that diverse, and she lost to a Riolu of all things during Ash's League battle against Cameron.

I've never really been that huge into the Pidove line. I think a large part of my disappointment comes from the highs that I felt in Gen IV with the Starly line and how it evolved into the badass Staraptor. Pidove on the other hand doesn't really have anything that special going for it, and Unfezant's design just screams 'another generic bird 'mon" instead of Staraptor which had a fun little niche in being a kamikaze bird.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom