• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Swirlix and Slurpuff!

250px-684Swirlix.png
250px-685Slurpuff.png

These sweeties were introduced in Pokémon X and Y as some of the first Fairy-types in the game. In a somewhat French-inspired move, Swirlix and Slurpuff were designed around a combination of desserts and dogs such as poodles and bichon frises. Swirlix is essentially a ball of cotton candy with a face, tail, and two hidden feet while its evolved form is more similar to a meringue or a cupcake. Slurpuff is well known in the Pokémon world for its keen sense of smell, which parallels that of certain species of dogs. This line can be seen as a counterpart to Spritzee and Aromatisse, as they're both Fairy-type version-exclusives and Aromatisse emits a powerful scent to match Slurpuff's sense of smell.

Slurpuff has very average, balanced stats all around with no one stat being exceptionally high but none being abysmally low. This means that despite having a decently large movepool, especially when it comes to Special attacks, it struggles to make proper use of them. However, if a skilled trainer combines its Unburden Hidden Ability with the Egg Move Belly Drum, Slurpuff transforms into a sweeper with near unmatched Attack and Speed. In order to keep this combination balanced, its Physical movepool is somewhat lacking, but even a resisted hit can be devastating when Slurpuff is powered up. Alternatively, it can make use of its large Special movepool with the move Calm Mind, increasing both its Special Attack prowess and Special bulk. Both of these strategies are supported with its array of non-damaging moves such as Wish, Cotton Guard, Aromatherapy, and Light Screen.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Do you prefer the Swirlix line or the Spritzee line?
  • If you've used a Slurpuff, which battle style do you prefer?
  • This line continues the infamous trend set by Vanillish of creating Pokémon based on food. Do you like Pokémon like this, or do you think they're examples of "Game Freak running out of ideas?" Or does it just depend on the Pokémon?

Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper

Last edited:
Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Not much, honestly. I don't like the concept and design, the type is a bit too generic.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Not sure but I don't have high hopes; needs a trade with a specific item to evolve and be somewhat good... but Florges is probably much easier to get and better.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
No idea.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Miette and Shota had them, they were good.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Some people would want to eat it :(
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats and Ability.
Do you prefer the Swirlix line or the Spritzee line?
Not much of a preference.
If you've used a Slurpuff, which battle style do you prefer?
Haven't used it.
This line continues the infamous trend set by Vanillish of creating Pokémon based on food. Do you like Pokémon like this, or do you think they're examples of "Game Freak running out of ideas?" Or does it just depend on the Pokémon?
I don't really like Pokemon like this but it's not a matter of "running out of ideas". The fact that they are generic Ice and Fairy-types respectively that don't stand out much aside from this trend isn't helping much in making me like them more.

Of course. Who could dislike these cuties? They're adorable and they're my favorite color :)
8ac106ff148fd932bed674f40c129f26.jpg

I don't think I've ever used either, but I'm sure they're amazing :)

Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I liked Miette's because it actually helped her out in Showcases, but I hated how Sawyer's lost every battle minus one at the league :/

I guess since it's supposed to be kind of like a dog it would just go around sniffing things all day. And maybe spend some time trying to avoid getting eaten :p

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?

TBH, I don't really like how Swirlix pulls its legs into ints body where you can only see its tail. That's kind of weird to me, so I'd just make it so you always see the feet :D

Swirlix line easily.

This line continues the infamous trend set by Vanillish of creating Pokémon based on food. Do you like Pokémon like this, or do you think they're examples of "Game Freak running out of ideas?" Or does it just depend on the Pokémon?
There's never been a Pokemon based off of cotton candy before these two so it's clearly a new idea. ;)

YAAASS!! Slurpuff, my child! I bred a shiny one in about a single evening and he's been such a team player on my team for Wi-Fi.

Love these mofos! They're totally adorable and the movepool is amazing! Raichu is my all time favorite Pokemon but if I had to have any Pokemon as an IRL pet, it would 100% be Slurpuff. X3

Not used but it would be perfection, OFC~

How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?

Great on my competitive team! I use a Sp. Attacking Life Orb set with Flamethrower, Surf, Dazzling Gleam, and Thunderbolt! I love catching a Metagross of guard with Flamethrower.

tumblr_n59qi822B61qckwxco1_500.gif

1420071109661.gif

Yeeesss, they are total cutiieesss!!!

Eating everything XD

Give it Moonblast and maybe boost a couple stats.

Even though Y is my game, I defs prefer Swirlix's line, not that I don't like little Spritzee, too~ >3<

If you've used a Slurpuff, which battle style do you prefer?

Special Attacking over the typical Belly Drum Unburden set. :3

I like them, myself. Maybe just because they're cute, but they're hella original in terms of being a cotton candy/merengue dog Pokemon XD

Swirlix slowly won me over from disliking it to actually really enjoying it, but I'm still pretty firm in my belief that Slurpuff is one of the worst designs in the entire series. It's brutally ugly on many levels and not the cute kind of ugly, like something like Skrelp, it's just a real unappealing design kind of ugly. It looks like the love-child of Snubbull and Mime Jr. Swirlix also looks much better with its feet tucked in, so it looks like a candyfloss - its inspiration becomes more obvious and the design is way more fun that way. It's a shame it isn't its main animation in the games.

I really like both Spritzee and Swirlix, but Aromatisse and Slurpuff are just dreadful. I'd say it's pretty much a tie overall when having to choose one line over the other here because both start off fine but go downhill immediately upon evolving. It was cool to get some item-based trade evolutions again, but they're one of the more annoying evolution types, so I could have lived with them just being hold item evolutions, like Razor Claw/Fang.

One thing I do like about this line is how wide their movepool is, learning all sorts of moves like Flamethrower, Surf, Energy Ball, Thunderbolt and Psychic on the attacking side, then things like Wish, Cotton Guard, Aromatherapy, Calm Mind, Belly Drum on the status side. Most of it is somewhat flavourful like a lot of smell-based and eating-related moves, which is fun, but some are just useful surprises. It feels like it almost has the movepool of a Normal-type, to be honest. I was surprised when it didn't get the elemental punches or Knock Off from the move tutors in ORAS too, but I guess they might have been concerned about balance.

I think food-based Pokemon are fine. I don't really have any complaints about them - I don't think it's a sign of running out of ideas either. It's just Slurpuff's design doesn't appeal to me. I really want a sushi fish Pokemon, to be honest, it would be sombre but hilarious at the same time and no doubt Game Freak could make it very cute too.

Last edited:
slurpuff was pretty high on my favorite pokemon list for a while after xy's release, but as more time has passed, I've grown mostly indifferent to it. I still somewhat like the silly cupcake dog. The silly charm it has is reminiscent of vanilluxe, a fellow foodmon that I also used to love, though I'd say slurpuff is the more interesting of the two. I would like to see more pokemon based on food, it's a relatively unexplored concept, I believe these two are the only ones.

its playstyle is unique, I appreciate that. Belly drum is a move that not many mons can utilize well, and it works wonderfully with unburden. I'd say I wish its physical movepool was a bit better, but fairy is a pretty decent offensive type, and return and drain punch seem sufficient enough to compliment it. It wishes that z-crystals would activate unburden, because z-belly drum's effect of fully healing the user would help it set up. Calm mind could work too, I guess. I'm considering breeding one sometime, maybe after a new game with tutor moves comes out, so I don't have to sit around worrying that they'll cut drain punch's status as a tutor move for whatever reason. I generally can't be assed to breed things in gen VI.

Last edited:
  • Staff
I can't believe I forgot to discuss Slurpuff's evolution method in the OP for this thread!

Let me start off by saying that I really enjoy Slurpuff as a Pokémon, both its design and its battling style. But I find its evolution method way too irritating. Having to evolve it while holding the Whipped Dream gives it the same base difficultly level of achievement as a Rhyperior or Electivire, but the output is so much more underwhelming in terms of raw power. Even if they wanted Slurpuff and Aromatisse to evolve after a trade I don't understand why they needed to program in signature items that serve no other function than evolving these Pokémon that end up being largely outclassed by Pokémon like Sylveon or Gardevoir.

Do other people feel similarly or is this just a me problem? :p

I like Swirlix. It's cute and doesn't seem to be too sweet that it's disgusting (sorry for the pun). It's Slurpuff I do not like and it's my least favorite Gen VI Pokemon and probably in my top 5 list of most disliked. It's probably because it was the girl's Pokemon-themed special clothing while the boys got the Pangoro hat. Very shallow of me, I know, but this thing managed to make me play as the male character for the first time since Pokemon Gold when I was forced to play as a boy. I have nothing against feminine-looking Pokemon and I especially have nothing against Fairy-type Pokemon (if that dress had been Gardevoir-themed, I wouldn't have been so bitter), but I do have something against this one in particular. It's just not my cup of tea.

From a gameplay standpoint, Slurpuff is not even all that hot. I personally never used it, but I'm looking at its stats and moves on Bulbapedia right now and they are terrible. At best, it could make an okay in-game Pokemon during the first half of the game, but later on I would probably dump it in my box because those stats are lousy even for an in-game team, much less competitive. I could see someone who knows what they are doing use it effectively, but I'm not one of those people, nor would I even give it a try.

Never saw it in the anime.

In fairness to Slurpuff, if it were real, I would imagine it would make an excellent pastry chef. Hell, I probably would end up loving it if it were real since I would be relying on this thing to help me with my cooking and making pastries.

If there was anything I would change, I would up the defences a bit more. This line looks like they would be more of the defensive types.

I like Swirlix and Spritzee but I am not a big fan of their evolutions. Maybe the Spritzee-line since I can at least say I like Aromatisse an inch more than Slurpuff. It's not saying much, but you get the idea.

We had Pokemon that are simple round objects colored red and white and a palm tree with coconut heads in Generation I. Even some animal-based Pokemon are boring when you see some of them as a simple bull or a bipedal cow in Gen II. I don't think Pokemon based on food is that big a deal to say they are running out of ideas. Yeah, I don't care for them, but I also don't care for before mentioned round objects, coconut heads, or bulls.

Not really a fan of this family or the Spritzee family, to be honest.
Item based evolution for something with fairly mediocre stats, and designs that I'm not particularly fond of, and these families end up on my least favorites list.
Not that there's anything particularly wrong with these families, it's mostly a personal preference thing.

Slurpuff is pretty good. I used one all the way through X and was amazed at its movepool. I ran with Dazzling Gleam, Surf, Flamethrower, and Energy Ball just to have all three starter types on one Pokemon. I personally Spritzee to Swirlix since it's one of the cute creations to exist and I love it. I needed a little time with Aromatisse.

I'm of the mind that there should be around six species of Pokemon for most concepts so that people can have their full on dream team of whatever they want. Full dog team, full frog team, full hog team, full log team, etc. The trouble for me is trying to think of food based Pokemon that wouldn't just be foods with goofy faces on them. Slurpuff and Vanilluxe have features that also give them some natural feel, like wispy cloud/blob that we've seen in this world before or icicles covered in snow. As mentioned earlier sushi would be a neat idea for a Pokemon. I do really want more standalone fruit Pokemon like Cherubi though I would like them more for a full fruit team rather than a full food team.

Swirlix is adorable, and Slurpuff, while derpy, still has its charm. I also like their movepool, especially on the special side of things, with attacks like Dazzling Gleam, Surf, Flamethrower, and Thunderbolt, and while they lack many physical options, Drain Punch pairs up well with Belly Drum and Unburden. I've never been fond of the Vanillite line, so Swirlix was a nice surprise. I like the line much better than the Spritzee line-Aromatisse just has an annoying cry and is slow (although it can use Trick Room effectively).
If I could change anything about the line, I'd give it Moonblast and a different evolution method(there aren't enough Pokemon that evolve by leveling up while holding an item), so Swirlix would evolve in a manner similiar to Sneasel and Gligar.
In the anime, I remembered Sawyer using a Slurpuff against Ash in Kalos League, and I thought Goodra should have won the battle, instead of just tying.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom