• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Emolga!

250px-587Emolga.png
In every generation so far, Game Freak has included a small, Electric type, rodent-esque Pokémon. This trend began with the famous Pikachu and Raichu, followed by Pichu, Minun/Plusle, and Pachirisu. Then, starting with Emolga, Game Freak decided to mix up the electric rodents and give us our first dual-typed one. Emolga is an Electric/Flying Pokémon introduced in Generation V and is based on a flying squirrel. With the exception of Raichu, it has the highest Speed of all of its counterparts and has a unique movepool with the inclusion of the many Flying type attacks it learns. In game, Emolga is used by Gym Leader Elesa, and in the anime it is owned by Ash's friend Iris.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • How does Emolga compare to the other "electric rodent" Pokémon?
  • When it was revealed, there was a lot of speculation that Emolga was related to Pikachu or Pachirisu. Do you think it should have been, or is it perfect as a standalone Pokémon?
  • Would you like Game Freak to continue the trend of giving electric rodents alternate types, should they keep them just Electric, or should they give up on them all together?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used Emolga extensively in-game, but I remember it being the most frustrating member of Elesa's party. The Flying-type immunity to Ground really threw a wrench in my usual method of dealing with Electric gyms, and I didn't have anything at the time that could effectively counter it (Grass starter, and Scolipede being the highest-level member of my party...)

Battle-wise, I'd put Emolga a notch above Plusle/Minun and Pachirisu, (not including Dedenne because I don't really have an opinion on Dedenne). Again, the immunity to Ground-type moves gives it an edge, its stats aren't bad, and the move Acrobatics paired with a Flying Gem as your held item can wreck an opponent.

I don't think any future "electric rodent" is going to match the popularity of the Pikachu line, but Emolga is probably second-best. It's cute and decent in battle, and doesn't feel too shoehorned in. As for giving it future evolutions/pre-evos, I think it stands on its own fine.

I've always rather liked Emolga - it's the most interesting of the sparky rodents, in that it continues the theme but ditches the vaguely rabbit-like appearance that Plusle and Minun have. Emolga works because it's interesting enough in its own right, something that I don't think the other rodents really have.

And if I had my way, the Gen VII pika would be a big fat capybara

Emolga's the one Pokemon I have a love/hate relationship with. I love using it, and it's adorable, but it's SO DAMN HARD TO COUNTER. ESPECIALLY in B/W. HOLY SHIT, ELESA. It's good against all three starters, and literally the only Pokemon that can somewhat almost stand up to it well up to that point is Roggenrola.

I've always concidered Emolga a Pikaclone. It being an Electric-type rodent with electricity coming out of its cheeks are all I need to classify it as Pikaclone, regardless if it's part Flying or even part Fire. As far as another Pikaclone is concerned, it's decent. Unfortunately, Game Freak didn't make it stand out other than being that one Pokemon of Elisa's that everyone hated fighting. I've personally never had problems fighting Elisa's Emolga because I tend to have my Pokemon at least 5-10 levels above the gym leader's. It has great speed (even faster than fan-favorite Zapdos), but that's all there is to it. I've personally never used it and I didn't find it as appealing as Pachirisu or even Dedenne. I only find it better than Plusle and Minun.

The one in the anime was really annoying. If there is one Pokemon that almost made me completely hate it because of its appearance in the anime, it was Iris's Emolga. I think that may have a lot to do with my dislike over it, which is unfair because the anime and games are two separate things, but yeah.

It's a good Pokemon to use, I love using it, but Pikachu will always be my number one electric type choice.

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I prefer Dedenne due to one Double Battle combination I've had a surprising amount of success with, but I don't particularly hate Emolga. Elesa's Emolga aren't a big deal, I somehow had an Emboar at this point and it handily demolished them. Come the sequels and I had Eviolite Magneton sit in its face.
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
Never used one, can't be the judge of that.
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
See above.
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Anime? Definitely hate it there. Iris's Emolga got annoying.
  • How does Emolga compare to the other "electric rodent" Pokémon?
Better than its predecessors but I've found a said Double Battle niche with Dedenne that Emolga can't fulfill.
  • When it was revealed, there was a lot of speculation that Emolga was related to Pikachu or Pachirisu. Do you think it should have been, or is it perfect as a standalone Pokémon?
Standalone. I expected this result on account of Emolga being one of the new Gen V Pokémon.
  • Would you like Game Freak to continue the trend of giving electric rodents alternate types, should they keep them just Electric, or should they give up on them all together?
Please stop and just give it up, it's getting a bit daft. Plusle and Minun exist because of that trend.

Last edited:
Emolga is probably my favorite of the Pika clones and I believe the only one I've ever considered using as a full-fledged team member. Well, of the ones that don't evolve. I really like Emolga since it's a good step up from its brethren. It has a lot of good attacking options (for a Pika) and utility at it's disposal thanks to its secondary typing. I never had much trouble with Elesa's pair of Emolga due to already aware and fully prepared for what was in store. Drilbur or Sandile with Rock Tomb works wonders.

I would like to see the Pika clone trend continue but with better use of their region's themes and mechanics. Plusle and Minun has some decent doubles synergy going but having very similar stat and the same typing didn't really help. Dedenne being a Fairy-type was a good continuation after Emolga. Too bad it got shafted in the moves department. Emolga and Raichu are definitely my benchmark for new Pika clones: variety in typing, nice move pools, and hopefully an evolution.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
How is this Pokémon in-game?
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
How does Emolga compare to the other "electric rodent" Pokémon?
When it was revealed, there was a lot of speculation that Emolga was related to Pikachu or Pachirisu. Do you think it should have been, or is it perfect as a standalone Pokémon?
Would you like Game Freak to continue the trend of giving electric rodents alternate types, should they keep them just Electric, or should they give up on them all together?
I like how it was a more interesting Pika-clone than Plusle, Minun and Pachrisu before it. Its typing is nice. The only thing I dislike was it being annoying in Nimbasa Gym.
It is not really strong in-game, but at least it's cute and has an interesting type. Still wouldn't use it in an in-game team.
Not sure, perhaps it is doing well in some lower tier. Immunity to Ground and access to Volt Switch can be useful.
Iris' Emolga was made a bit annoying on purpose, can't say I really liked that.
People would consider it cute and have it as a pet, although it being able to zap children who aren't careful with it may be dangerous.
I would make it a bit stronger so that it is more usable. Perhaps give it a Mega.
It is as good as Dedenne and better than the other electric rodents.
I could see it as an alternate Pichu evolution under a different name. Would be interesting, although it's not bad as a standalone.
They should keep giving them alternate types or try not giving them Electric sometimes like they did with the Marill line.

...I don't particularly have a lot to say about Emolga.
I'm not a fan of Pikachu clones in general and, while its nice that Emolga isn't "just another Electric monotype rodent," it's still fairly generic.
I've never used one on my team, because it's difficult to find in Gen V, and its base stats aren't fantastic. I will say, though, that having Emolga on Elesa's team made her annoying to deal with, since Emolga's immunity to Ground made it more difficult to win just by spamming Ground moves.
I only watched a few episodes of the BW anime, including Bianca and Ash's battles with Elesa. I don't seem to recall Elesa's Emolga doing much, as it seemed like the main focus was on Zebstrika or even Tynamo.

Do I want more Pikachu clones? No I do not. Are we likely to get at least one? Yeah, I don't doubt that we'll get another Pika clone.
The sad thing is, they can branch out from generic Electric rodents and still get a pseudo Pika clone.

Cockatiels-1.jpg

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I do! Not only does it have an interesting type, but I find Emolga to be a hard opponent to beat in BW which makes the games more enjoyable for me.

How is this Pokémon in-game?
I'd said it's pretty good! Like above, I think it's a tricky Pokémon to take down due to its speed, resistance, and use of Volt Switch.

How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Never used it competitively, but I don't think it'd fair well enough. Though it has decent speed, I don't think its other stats are that great, and while Volt Switch is handy, it's outclassed by Manectric and other Pokémon that can use moves such as U-turn.

Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Hm... Iris' Emolga in the anime got a my nerves a bit, but I'm a sucker for gluttonous Pokémon so I did like the moments where that particular trait came through. But otherwise it's hard to pin-point a good moment of it for me due to Iris never using it in serious battles that much.

How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Honestly I think that like Iris', they'd just hang around in trees and eat fruit and nuts all day, avoiding humans. So pretty much like typical squirrels.

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Nope!

How does Emolga compare to the other "electric rodent" Pokémon?
It's fun to battle but I can't say much else, especially after the release of Togedemaru!

When it was revealed, there was a lot of speculation that Emolga was related to Pikachu or Pachirisu. Do you think it should have been, or is it perfect as a standalone Pokémon?
Doesn't look similar enough to be related to Pichu, but with a different color scheme and a few tweaks I think it could have worked as an evolution to Pachirsu. Like a lot of Unova Pokémon though, it simply had a lot of similarities to previous ones.

Would you like Game Freak to continue the trend of giving electric rodents alternate types, should they keep them just Electric, or should they give up on them all together?
I'd say give up all together and work on creating new, unique, and interesting designs instead of giving us something nobody is really asking for. Though to be fair I didn't ask for Togedemaru but it's cute as hell.

Emolga was the best Pikaclone (not that that means much) until recently. A flying squirrel was a good choice and I love the colour scheme. Best Wishes was the only other anime season outside the original one that I have watched (due to a friend telling me to) and Iris' Emolga was so mischievous and sassy that I think that had some hand in helping me like it more because it was so full of character.

I remember people saying it looked like a Pachirisu evolution, but I think that was fueled more because of squirrel -> flying squirrel being a logical evolutionary line than any other reason like looking alike.

As much as I love Emolga I don't think I've ever really used one. Maybe I should do a replay of X before SM releases and use one. In fact I think I will.

And before a few days ago I would have said they should axe the Pikaclone tradition but a certain new critter has totally won me over and I'm glad the tradition lasted until now anyway. :3

I have a love-hate relationship with Emolga. I loved it as soon as it was revealed and made sure to have one on my team during my first playthrough of Black. But god did I hate battling it during Elesa's battle haha. Volt Switch is a great move to use, but a nightmare to be on the receiving end of.

However, I still think it's a great Pokémon and definitely the best of the electric rodents. I wouldn't change anything about it, I love its appearance and color scheme. Also don't think it should have been related to Pikachu or Pachirisu, I'm afraid that would've taken away a bit of its spotlight and it deserves to have that spotlight all on its own.

While I like most of the electric rodents, I do think they should maybe stop giving one to every game. It is getting a bit tiring imo to see one one again each time and I'm not a big fan of Togedemaru, it just looks too much like the others somehow. Though, I also had this same problem with Dedenne but it has grown on me by now. I do think they should keep giving them alternate types to make them stand out from each other more.

Emolga is the only Pikachu clone I actually like. That said, it is annoying in the games when looking for Audino to level grind because it tends to spam Double Team. It can hit from either side of the spectrum with moves like Air Slash, Thunderbolt, Acrobatics, Knock Off, and Wild Charge, but is still rather underwhelming. I was puzzled when I learned Elesa had two of these squirrels in Black/White, since even then, Unova Dex had enough Electric types to avoid using two Pokemon of the same species.

Electric+Flying is a great type combination in general (the Ground immunity means it gains no new weaknesses compared to Flying by itself), and Emolga's fast enough to hold its own on the team. Plus, Elesa's pair of Emolgas constantly Volt Switching with each other in BW1 was an epic strategy (even better than Bugsy's U-Turn in HGSS) and played out very well (not to mention it hid the identity of her ace Pokemon in the process).

This is one of my most hated Pokemon. Iris' Emolga is so selfish, mean, keeps stealing food from Ash's Pokemon, made Ash's cute baby Scraggy cry, and it's always the main center of drama. If Iris' Emolga was sweet and caring just like Pikachu, then I would have liked it but the way how it was introduced in the anime, I hate it. Battling Elesa's Emolgas were annoying. The only Pokemon I had in my team that could handle those annoying Emolgas was a Blitzle. My Blitzle had to spam Flame Charge. The battle took a while but my Blitzle managed to defeat those Emolgas.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom