• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #52: Scyther and Scizor

SirOni

Driving You Batty
Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is the Scizor-line!

123Scyther.png

480px-212Scizor.png

20140815110850%21212Scizor-Mega.png

Hard-hitting and agile, Scyther and Scizor are Bug-type Pokémon that debuted in Generations I and II. They are both large and imposing Pokémon based on various orders of insects with big emphases on mantises and mantidflies. Scyther and Scizor make their homes in grasslands and forests where they hide in the vegetation to stalk and ambush prey. With ninja-like speed Scyther assault their prey and cleave through them with their sharp scythe arms. Scizor of course use their pincers to clamp and crush the target, but will also use them just straight up smash on it mercilessly. As seen in the anime Scyther live in groups lead by an alpha that attain its status through one-on-one combat. Young Scyther have been known to leave their parent groups and travel deep into the mountains where they train their scythe and speed skills. Once evolving into Scizor these Pokémon become coated in hard durable steel. This increases their defense and attack power but also negates their ability to fly. Instead Scizor use their wings to regulate their body temperature. Apparently their bodies can become too hot and melt during the heat of battle! Take that as an indicator of the power and energy Scizor are able to put out. Scizor pincers have peculiar spot patterns that resemble eyes and give them the appearance of heads. These masquerading pincers can serve as decoys against enemies and predators drawing attention away from the real head and leaving the attacker vulnerable to a counter strike.

Scyther and Scizor’s enduring popularity ensured that in Gen VI Scizor would receive a Mega Evolution alongside their rival big bugs Pinsir and Heracross. This Mega Evolution further magnifies Scizor’s intimidation factor by bestowing it with massive serrated pincers. Logically with these new diabolically sized pincers Mega Scizor gets an increase in attack power and its defenses. Yet despite this impressive change to its weaponry the increase in its defenses seems to be what really matters in the long run. With one real weakness and many resistances Mega Scizor was able to transition into more defensive play styles while still retaining its outstanding power. Mega Scizor is able to utilize its defensive and supportive tools to a much greater effect while keeping the opponent on edge. Swords Dance to boost, Roost to recover, and Bullet Punch to smash fast and hard is more than what many defensive heavy hitters would ask for. Unlike other Mega Evolutions that needed to change in a considerable way from their base form all Mega Scizor did was raise its base stats which really was enough to make Scizor even better than it already was.

Scyther and Scizor are unique among all Pokémon in that both the pre-evolution and the evolved form have the same base stat total. When Scyther evolves into Scizor its Speed is lowered to raise its Attack and Defense. Makes sense since being coated in metal would make one slower while increasing durability and damage potential. It’s also interesting that unlike other evolutions Scizor doesn’t seem to be quite an upgrade from Scyther. Trading scythes for pincers appears to be more of a lateral change rather than a straight improvement though pincers are more useful for manipulation. Other changes such as the loss of flight and the swap of a carnivore-style head to a sleek head with a smaller mouth also give the impression of horizontal movement rather than direct progression. With traits like these Scizor could have been a new form of Scyther if it was created in recent times. It’s only naturally for such a striking pair to be so unique.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
-Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
-How is this Pokémon in-game?
-How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
-How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
-How do Scyther and Scizor compare to other Pokémon of their types?
-Do you prefer using Mega Scizor or standard Scizor in battle?
-Which do you like more: Scyther or Scizor?
-Were you aware of the unique situation with Scyther’s evolution to Scizor, and what do you think about it? Is horizontal progression rather than vertical something you would like to see done again in another species?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thanks to our boy @Guzma for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper
Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff
Pokémon of the Week #45: Lotad, Lombre, & Ludicolo
Pokémon of the Week #46: Kangakhan
Pokémon of the Week #47: Riolu and Lucario
Pokémon of the Week #48: Raichu
Pokémon of the Week #49: Magikarp & Gyarados
Pokémon of the Week #50: Horsea, Seadra & Kingdra
Pokémon of the Week #51: Elgyem and Beheeyem

I like it a lot! Nice concept, design, typing, useful in competitive...
Never tried it but it's probably not too good, in Kanto it comes late and can't evolve until FRLG postgame and with a trade.
-How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
SCIZOR IS AWESOME!
Ever since Gen 4 it is part of my OU team's core, alongside Garchomp and Starmie. After Gen 6 it is also my team's Mega.
As a non-mega I would use Technician of course, alongside Bullet Punch/Bug Bite/Pursuit/U-Turn which made for a good pivot; it had a priority attack, an attack to hit whoever would switch out, and an attack that let it switch out without losing momentum. It needed some prediction and timing but it was awesome.
After Gen 6 I'm going for a Mega Scizor Swords Dance set; Swords Dance/Bullet Punch/Bug Bite/Knock Off
-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Tracey's Scyther was cool. The few times I remember seeing Scizor it was cool but would get defeated; one in the AG episode where Ash battled Elite Four Drake and one in the early DP episode where Brock got his Croagunk.
Most people would be afraid of it. Some would think it's cool. Some would use them in competitive.
-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
I don't really think Scizor needs much change. It could use some optimizing like less Sp. Atk and more Atk, although I wouldn't mind seeing more Def or Speed
Much better than your usual Bug-type, Scyther may not be as good as other Flying-types but that particular typing is very diverse and unfortunately a secondary thing when considering which Pokemon to use in a team. Scizor's more offensive than your usual Steel-type which is also nice.
I can do both, but I prefer Mega now because I've got no better Mega option with the kind of team I like to use.
SCIZOR
-Were you aware of the unique situation with Scyther’s evolution to Scizor, and what do you think about it? Is horizontal progression rather than vertical something you would like to see done again in another species?
Of course, I'd prefer it if Scizor had a better BST of course. I'd rather not see it done again, I prefer stronger Pokemon of course.
Although I'll have to give it that Scizor is already quite useful even though it may not have the best BST. It's got a nice abillity, typing, moveset... it all makes for an awesome niche.

I prefer Scyther over Scizor, mostly on design. His stats are pretty solid (type weaknesses notwithstanding -- hello Stealth Rock) and Bugsy in HGSS demonstrated how Scyther makes a good U-Turner (which is also eligible for Technician). Scyther can also learn Roost and is eligible for holding Eviolite (with which its base stats become comparable to pseudolegendary Pokemon).

Scizor and Scyther both have a 4x weakness, though in Scizor's case its other weak points cancel out, which is generally more desirable, and it has access to a priority move in Bullet Punch (with STAB and possibly Technician).

These are great Pokemon, both in design and in battle. I prefer Scyther over Scizor due to appearances (a dinosaur with scythes looking-creature > humanoid-looking ant), but I am not knocking Scizor's design, either. A humanoid ant is pretty awesome. Whether anyone decides to use them in-game or competitively, they both have their equal uses. Scyther's high speed and attack stats and access to Technician make it a formidable battler and foe. While Scizor is not as fast, it's hefty attack power and the ability to learn Bullet Punch makes it unstoppable if you have no counter to it. If you lack a Fire-type move, then it'll be a pain to take down and can easily set up with Swords Dance to boost that attack to greater heights. These two are meant to be attackers and sweepers, no doubt about that. Mega Scizor is not all that great, in my opinion. It looks cool but the massive stats gained is negated by its lack of Technician. Light Metal as an ability is bleh. I don't see any use in it. I'd rather use a Mega Stone on something that would benefit from it more than Scizor.

Scyther had many memorable moments in the anime. I loved the episode it first appeared in. It was the debut episode of two of my favorite Pokemon with a massive hatred of the color red and it makes me wish the anime would do more silly stuff like this. Looks like I am getting my wish in some way with the Sun and Moon anime! =D Scizor I really have no recollection of.

If these Pokemon were real, I would never want to mess with them or even be anywhere near them. Because of their dangerous features, they'd probably live in some remote island with no inhabitants and they could be free to hunt and live in peace without having to kill any humans.

There isn't much I would change about either of these two. Maybe give Mega Scizor a more useful ability.

Both Scyther and Scizor are formidable in their own right. Scizor is superior to a lot of Steel and Bug-types due to Technician and it's priority moves. Scyther is great, but he's a little on the weak side and his 4x weakness to Rock and not to mention being weak to some very common moves with lower defense stats makes him a little harder to use. He's also a sitting duck to Stealth Rock. There are better Bug-types to take his place, like Scolipede with Speed Boost.

Yes, I was aware of the horizontal progression. That's why I never used Scizor from the beginning and always stuck with Scyther. It wasn't until abilities and Bullet Punch were introduced that made me use Scizor. I prefer a stronger progression with evolution.

I just rechecked the Bulbapedia page, so apparently Sun&Moon added extra info about non-Mega Scizor's armor will "melt" when it gets too hot, where this wasn't mentioned anywhere prior to GenVII.

Although I do understand unfound new information of old pokemons maybe provided when Pokedex is refined for each new gen, but for this new "creativity", I don't quite appreciate. In the past, I always thought Scizor's body heat after exercising is more or less like a human body, yes when one finish excessive exercise your body temperature increases intensively, but nonetheless it won't be up to a temperature your body itself cannot endure. If according to this new info added in SM, Scizor's body temperature after exercising could go all the way up to several hundreds or even thousand degree, as that is the melting point of many common metals. Of course that depends on the kind of metal Scizor's body consists of, and I do know there does exist metals of quite low melting point. But still, the kind of metal that can give Scizor a significant increase in defense, it can't really be those of low melting point, as those are at the same time quite brittle. When its body heat can go up to several hundreds degree to the point of its metal body melting, that will be nothing different from constantly embathed in fire-type attack. It just seems too illogical for a living creature possessing such self-destructive body function, and it is incomparable to beesting as that is for emergency only, but Scizor's body is expose to such risk even in normal daily life. Besides, do not forget, it is a BUG-type pokemon, I can't really imagine it is classified as warm-blooded creature. Hence, this piece of new info about Scizor's metal body will melt simply due to high body temperature is ridiculous and implausible.

Though, I do understand for the case of Mega Scizor, as it is evolved by exposing to the energy of Mega Stone, where high concentration of external energy is temporary stored in Mega Scizor's body, so it is understandable it is at risk even it is not battling.

I quite like this family, I used both of them during my GenII Crystal game. Encounter my Scyther in the Bug Catching Contest in the National Park, and since then it is part of my permanent main party where I never ever deposit into the PC. Its high attack basically OHKO all the opponent it encounter. I don't quite remember any moment my Scyther/Scizor ever struggle, because it never had any close call moment.

If any changes can be made, I would prefer Scizor to have an actual increase in BST when evolved from Scyther. Because it just felt strange that evolution doesn't make a pokemon stronger than previously.

I remember when GS first came out, and I saw Scizor for the first time. It was one of the coolest Pokemon I had ever seen, and it was one of the new Steel type Pokemon. I thought it was great, and I was excited when I caught a Scyther in the Bug Catching Contest, thinking I was going to get a Scizor.
Well, I trained that Scyther for the rest of the game, and even through the aftergame, it continued to grow in levels, and it never evolved. I traded it to someone, in the hopes it was a trade evolution. Nothing. For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out, and I was very disappointed. Bulbapedia either didn't exist back then, or I was unaware of Bulbapedia's existence.

Needless to say, I found out later on that it was an item holding evolution trade. How was I supposed to know that?!

Anyway, I still like Scizor quite a bit and nicknamed the Mega-Scizor I used on Showdown "The Crimson Horror" (after the Doctor Who episode).

Oh yes! My favorite steel-type Pokemon of all time! Mainly because Bug/Steel grants Scizor only one true weakness (being a quad weakness to fire). And competitively, despite being slow, it has access to Agility and Autotomize, as well as Swords Dance to boost it's attack! Sadly, I can't use it since I only play Pokémon via emulation....

As for Scyther, it sure looks cool indeed! A bipedal mantis looks great and is quite cool indeed. Sadly I was never able to use this thing on Showdown's Little Cup since it is an LC Uber...

Love it! Scizor is one of my favorite Pokemon. Shame I can’t get one without trading (i have no friends.)
Both are very strong. One is faster and the other is more defensive.
There aren’t any things that stand out. The Dark City episode is the only one I remember. That one was good
The apex predator and it gets even stronger when it evolves.
Yes, I think Scizor’s ability Light Metal isn’t the best for it. And also give scyther cut and fly
They are premiere Bug types.
Mega Scizor is stronger then normal Sciz so that
Yes.
Yes, it’s a cool idea that should be added to more Pokemon.

Do you like or dislike this pokemon. Why?
Love these two. Scyther is basically a mantis crossed with the raptors from Jurassic Park. Scizor is that same mantis in an Iron man suit.

How is this Pokemon in game.
Scyther didn't have a good start in RBY since it had no moves aside from normal ones. Though in GSC it is the king of the little cup. Scizor didn't start too good but then it good bullet punch and sparks have been flying ever since.

Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Not enough Scizor bullet punching things and then running with u-turn.

How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
One thing's for sure. No one would be mocking Misty for being afraid of bugs. Since there are now man sized ones with steel blades for arms. Forests inhabited by these things would be a hazard. Though Scyther would realistically be more dangerous since Scizor is (usually) slow and its bright red armor kills any chance of stealth.

How do Scyther and Scizor compare to other Pokémon of their types?
Scyther is pretty average for a bug type only dangerous when encountered early or are unprepared. Scizor is crazy useful thanks to bullet punch and not needing a lot of support.

Do you prefer using Mega Scizor or standard Scizor in battle?
Regular. So I can put on a Choice Band and call it a day. I honestly think regular Scizor looks better too.

Were you aware of the unique situation with Scyther’s evolution to Scizor, and what do you think about it? Is horizontal progression rather than vertical something you would like to see done again in another species?
Yeah I was. Could mean it's more like a mutation than an evolution for Scyther. Though I'd prefer they not do this again with how some of the new pokemon in SM were handled.

Scyther was absolutely one of the coolest Pokemon from the original 151, I remember both myself and many of my school friends having it as one of our favourites - because when you're a kid what's cooler than a dinosaur-insect with giant blades for arms? Then Scizor came along, turning Scyther from dinosaur-bug into metal-bug, with shiny red armour and sweet Bug/Steel typing, it was a combination of things that appealed to us.

I guess this is why things like Wargreymon existed too - powering up and gaining a set of new shiny armour is cool. (Also Japan just like their mecha stuff too, I guess.) Thinking back to Scizor and Steelix, a new Metal Coat evolution in a future generation would actually be cool, especially if it was done to an older Pokemon - it's appealing to the child in me, but that sweet metallic shine of freshly added armour to something that didn't have it before needs to be done again. (Forget consistency and whether it would be possible to do it in older generations, just do it!)

Anyway, I still like the line now, I guess partly due to the nostalgia and partly due to the fact that it still remains one of the coolest Bug lines to date - and obviously one of the strongest, too, something which I don't think is likely to change unless something huge happens. While I find Mega Scizor's claws a bit ridiculous and ungainly, I do like how it moves with its leg joints, it has that gliding along the ground mecha feel. Also the head itself just looks better than Scizor's. But other than that, I do prefer the original just because Mega Scizor's stapler claws are a bit too much.

I remember immediately liking Scizor the moment I first saw it in the anime, in that episode featuring one that used a device to speak in human language. The bright red color, sleek, cool design, and vaguely Trapinch-like claws all really appealed to me. Plus, it’s got two of my favorite types in a rather useful combination. I haven’t really used one in battle, but I’d like to. Mega Scizor is pretty neat, but I still think I prefer vanilla Scizor by design. Also, never really cared much for Scyther, besides the fact that it turns into Scizor. The “horizontal progression” evolution is an interesting concept that I wouldn’t mind seeing again in the future.

Edit: Oh, y’know what would make Scizor even better? Being able to learn Crabhammer. :p

I feel like one of the very few people that don't really care much for Scyther itself; it's a cool Pokemon, but I've never really felt that strongly about it. Scizor on the other hand I really like and think it's really cool, so I guess I'm... a weird mixed bag? I suppose I feel more indifference than anything else towards both while having a slight fondness for Scizor more than Scyther for battling reasons and aesthetics.

Mantises are my favorite bugs, so, naturally, I love Scyther! Scizor is kind of cool, I guess, but I prefer Scyther more. It also helps that Tracey had one in the anime, and I love me some Tracey antics!:D

Scizor is a cool looking bug, almost looks kind of robotic to me and I really like it's design and it's typing.

But Scyther could go fall off the face of the earth. I'm sorry, but after Bugsy's Scyther (nuzlocke, lost 5 pokemon), and the Scyther my ex specifically bred to torture me with, there is just no way I could ever love this creature. Mantises are cool, but Scyther is not.

Scyther is sleek and fast, while Scizor is slower, but more durable and still looks cool. Even though it is very weak to Fire, it is its only weakness, and Technician is nothing to take lightly, especially with STAB Bug Bite and Bullet Punch, as well as Pursuit and even Quick Attack. I really dislike its Mega, though, but it is still better than Mega Heracross.

Scyther is a childhood favorite of mine, funny enough my brothers was Scizor. I always just liked its design, plus the Scyther freaking out over red stuff in the anime was a memorable moment

Idk Scyther seems to be a okay pokemon
Same as above

the Scyther freaking out over red stuff in the anime was a memorable moment

He would professionally slice our sandwiches

Idk give it a marking or something I guess.

Usually better, IMO

I don’t use either

Scyther

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom