• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #53: Crabrawler & Crabominable

Enzap

No thoughts, head empty
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is the Crabrawler line!
250px-739Crabrawler.png
250px-740Crabominable.png
As its name indicates, Crabrawler is a Fighting-type crab Pokémon that is found in the Alola region, often under piles of berries. This Pokémon tends to have a feisty personality and lives for fighting, punching its enemies so hard that sometimes its pincers fall off (but are quickly replaced). It tries to not only be the strongest but the literal highest member of its community, constantly fighting for high ground. Sometimes Crabrawlers climb so high they end up on the snowy peak of Mount Lanakila, where they can evolve in to the Ice-type Crabominable. Crabominable is the only Ice-type Pokémon introduced in Sun and Moon that is not an Alolan variant of a Kanto Pokémon.​

Because Mount Lanakila is restricted to trainers who have beaten all of the Island Trials, it is impossible to evolve a Crabominable in Sun and Moon until the player is ready to challenge the Elite 4, despite Crabrawler being obtained early in the game and having mediocre stats. Some do consider it worthwhile though, because Crabominable is quite the force to be reckoned with. It boasts massive Attack strength and powerful moves such as Crabhammer, Dynamic Punch, Close Combat, and its signature move Ice Hammer. Its other stats are not particularly impressive though, especially its Speed, which, like that of many Alolan Pokémon, is particularly underwhelming.

Since Generation VII is still fairly new, Crabrawler and Crabominable have not received much exposure outside of the games, though they are the signature Pokémon of the Melemele Island Kahuna Hala.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • How do these Pokémon compare to other Ice and Fighting Pokémon in Alola?
  • How do you feel about Crabominable's evolution mechanic? Should it instead use the newly introduced Ice Stone like Vulpix and Sandshrew?
  • Do you think Ice Hammer is a suitable signature move for Crabominable? Do you think any other Pokémon should be able to learn it as well?
Thanks to @Nicolas721 for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper
Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff
Pokémon of the Week #45: Lotad, Lombre, & Ludicolo
Pokémon of the Week #46: Kangakhan
Pokémon of the Week #47: Riolu and Lucario
Pokémon of the Week #48: Raichu
Pokémon of the Week #49: Magikarp & Gyarados
Pokémon of the Week #50: Horsea, Seadra & Kingdra
Pokémon of the Week #51: Elgyem & Beheeyem
Pokémon of the Week #52: Scyther & Scizor

I caught a Crabrawler early on during my adventures in Sun.
It can very easily fall behind quickly due to the fact that it doesn't evolve.
I do wish that it used the Ice Stone instead, since you do get that fairly late in the game without it being literally right before the Elite Four. I guess that would be the one thing I change.
As far as said Elite Four go, Crabominable isn't even such a great Pokemon to use, type-wise.
Fighting and Flying are super effective against it. It loses Fighting's resistance to Rock by becoming part Ice type, and Ghost is immune to Fighting.
It can deal Super Effective damage to the Rock and Flying types, but its low speed really doesn't help it.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Crabrawler and Crabominable. I just wish there was an easier and earlier way of getting the latter. I suppose one could capture a Crabrawler in one game, trade it to another game where the player has beaten the Elite Four, evolve it, and trade it back, but that still means that a lot of effort is required in at least one game to evolve Crabrawler.

I also like the method for encountering Crabrawler. I find it to be berry unique.

I love Crabrawler! Crabominable... not so much. What a wasted opportunity for a great first-stage Pokemon. They could have given him something that was a lot less vulnerable to almost every attack in the game. His design doesn't bother me. I kind of like it, but being part Ice kills it. In-game, you don't get to evolve Crabrawler until very late in the game. Trials and Kahunas have already been defeated and all that is left is the Elite Four and the postgame. That's pretty awful. The developers sure didn't think that one out. Still, I'd imagine Crabominable to be decent in-game if it wasn't available so late in the game. Crabrawler is good during the first part of the game, but the more the game progresses, its stats just cannot compete. Crabominable has a monstrous Attack power but its Speed is atrocious and its Defenses are not at all what I would call tank material. That, plus being weak to so many common move make it okay in-game and lousy in competitive play. I guess it would fit in nicely in a Trick Room team combined with the ability, Iron Fist. Still, with its lousy Defenses, there are better Pokemon to choose from for a Trick Room team.

Crabominable has not appeared yet in the anime, but Crabrawler is cute. It had a higher-pitched voice than I expected to hear, but that just adds to its charm.

If they were real, Crabrawler would be something found on beaches like in the game. They'd be no bother, but they shouldn't be trifled with unless you want to be beaten up by a crab. Their claws that come off may be sold in seafood markets. Crabominable would only be found in cold areas and not to be messed with.

There is a lot I would change with Crabominable. I'd ditch the Ice-typing and give it better defenses. If it's going to be as slow as it is, it can at least take a hit. I'd also allow it to evolve much earlier in the game than what was offered in Sun and Moon.

As far as how they compare to other Ice- and Fighting-types, there are much better Pokemon to choose from. Bewear is not too much better but you can get it much earlier in the game, and same with Alolan Sandslash and Ninetales, which have better stats overall.

Ice Stone evolution would have been perfect. Still, I'd rather use it on said Alolan Sandslash and Ninetales because they're better than Crabominable.

With those giant arms of Crabominable, Ice Hammer is a pretty good signature move. It would be nice to have other Pokemon with arms learn it as an alternative to Ice Punch. The 90% accuracy is bleh, but it's still pretty good considering it has a power of 100.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Like. Nice design, evolution method and type combination for the final evolution.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Not that good because you cannot evolve it until too late.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Haven't tried it.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Hala's Crabrawler was good.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Only people interested in Fighting-types or scientists interested in its unique evolutionary method would show lots of interest.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats and Ability.
How do these Pokémon compare to other Ice and Fighting Pokémon in Alola?
I prefer other Ice-types such as Alolan Ninetales or even Sandslash.
For Fighting, it may be good but it evolves too late.
How do you feel about Crabominable's evolution mechanic? Should it instead use the newly introduced Ice Stone like Vulpix and Sandshrew?
I think it would work better because it would allow us to evolve it much sooner.
Do you think Ice Hammer is a suitable signature move for Crabominable? Do you think any other Pokémon should be able to learn it as well?
It sure is. Abomasnow could learn it for sure since it does know Wood Hammer too. But I think it could fit more Pokemon, yeah.

I love them, they are one of my favorite 2 stage families. I like their champion theme, Crabrawler wants to be the very best, so he keeps climbing and climbing until he reaches the Pokemon league itself! And becomes a literal champion. Sadly this means that players have to wait a lot for Crabominable, in order to solve this they should have let Crabrawler evolve in Tapu Village.
As a design, Crabrawler is Ok, I live his colors and his pincers but he isn't convincing as a coconut crab as it lacks some traits from it: dark colors, ability to climb through trees, and a strong shell. Crabominable is one of my Alola favorites, he looks so fluffy and adorable, and I love his claws with paws.

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I like them.
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
Crabominible is very slow, but if you can get an Ice Hammer or Close Combat up, wow...
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
In Balanced Hackmons, Speed Boost and Protect make a powerful combo, allowing Crabominible to raise it’s speed.
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
there was like one appearance of crabrawler
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
The most fearsome crab.
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better bulk or speed.
  • How do these Pokémon compare to other Ice and Fighting Pokémon in Alola?
It’s the only ice type. But it isn’t that good in metagames except Balanced Hackmons
  • How do you feel about Crabominable's evolution mechanic? Should it instead use the newly introduced Ice Stone like Vulpix and Sandshrew?
Yes. I also think the ice stone should be more common
  • Do you think Ice Hammer is a suitable signature move for Crabominable? Do you think any other Pokémon should be able to learn it as well?
Yes and yes.

Can we do Mandibuzz next

I had found out about Crabrawler's evolution method early so I never really gave it a shot in my playthrough. A Pokemon just becomes so unappealing when you know that you won't be able to attain its final form until very late in the campaign. The situation is a lot like that of trade evolutions but kinda worse in that if you had someone else to help you evolve Crabrawler then that person would have had to reach Mt. Lanakila already. This evolution method is definitely one where Gamefreak sacrificed convenience for flavor in a big way. It's real cool and all that they're demonstrating crab mentality and a boxer's drive to go straight to the top, but can't Crabrawler have just used an Ice Stone instead? It could even fit into the boxer motif seeing how a lot of boxers treat themselves to ice and fur coats once they make it big.

I initially didn't dig Crabominable's design but taking another closer look I noticed a few interesting aspects I like. At first I disliked that Crabrawler lost its black eye and pompadour-styled antennae for what I thought was a dim-witted oaf look. Then I thought about it and I realized that on its way to the top Crabominable has had its fair share of tough bouts and so of course has lost an number of teeth. Still not too sure about its new claws but I do like that they're very unique in function for being what they are.

Crabominable is one of my favourite Ice-types, probably only second to Glalie. It's very underrated and often hated on which is disappointing. I think it's fun and goofy and is an unexpected take on a yeti crab (at least for me). It just disappoints me that a Pokemon you have to wait until the end of the game to get is given such a lower BST. It should easily be ~510-520 BST to make up for the long haul you have to take Crabrawler on. Its movepool is missing some necessary moves too, like Mach Punch, Ice Shard, Swords Dance and Knock Off. But it still has an awesome STAB combo with crazy high Attack which I appreciate at least.

How do you feel about Crabominable's evolution mechanic? Should it instead use the newly introduced Ice Stone like Vulpix and Sandshrew?

Nah, I like the thematic implication of having a fighter strive to reach their peak. It also works with coconut crabs (Crabrawler) liking to climb things. It fits too well with boxing and the coconut crab to just replace for a stone evolution, even if the stone is more convenient.

There's lots of convenient evolutions in Pokemon, so having ones like Salandit or Crabrawler which sacrifice that to be more interesting is ok with me. The problem isn't the evolution method, it's that the wait isn't really worth the outcome. Compare it to things that evolve late like the pseudos and they are powerhouses, while Crabominable isn't close to their level.

Last edited:
This line is the only crustacean Pokemon line I don't like at all. Crabominable is just ugly and isn't even that useful in battle. I do like its concept, but it could have been designed much better. I never thought it needed Ice Stone to evolve, and in US/UM you can actually reach Mt. Lanakila earlier, making the wait a non-issue.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom