• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #64: Honedge, Doublade & Aegislash

Reaction score
Welcome to the World of Pokémon, a place filled in an incredibly vast and varied number of amazing creatures to befriend, collect and command in friendly battles. Like every week, we will now be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line, and talk about what makes it special. To celebrate the incoming Halloween, we will take a look at a very interesting ghost: Aegislash!

250px-679Honedge.png
250px-680Doublade.png
250px-681Aegislash.png

Meet Aegislash and its little siblings Honedge and Doublade, the family of possessed swords. Coming straight from Generation 6, they are blessed with the unique Steel and Ghost typing, which isn’t currently shared by anyone else. Honedge can be caught as soon as you get to Route 6 in the XY games, where it can show to be a nice asset to anyone’s team thanks to its plethora of resistances and immunities.

Despite having low Speed, this trait is partially mitigated by its high Attack and Defense, and it can also learn a good variety of moves like Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak, Gyro Ball, Shadow Claw and Sacred Sword. Get your ghostly ally to the 35th level, and you will get an additional sword as a bonus, which adds even more physical power and tankiness. Get an Eviolite as well, and let the fun begin.

While Honedge and Doublade are known for being extremely accurate and for not caring about opposing moves during their assaults — as evidenced by their No Guard ability — if you expose the latter to a Dusk Stone, it will finally aquire both attacking and defensive skills, thanks to its transformation from a dual wielding swordsman into Aegislash, an Excalibur with a shield belonging to a king.

Speaking of that King’s Shield, that is the key of triggering its Stance Change, which shifts all its offensive stats into its defensive and vice versa, before being able to reverse said stats when attacking the opponent. This allows Aegislash to change its way of fighting throughout all the match, turning it into a formidable and unpredictable opponent. It’s such a versatile and difficult Pokémon to strike down that it has been banned from the OU metagame in both its debut and the following generation!

But beware, future Trainers, as those swords are known for draining the life energy of their targets, hypnotizing their targets or even striking them with furious slashes. Only the ones who are talented Trainers or true leaders can gain the respect of those swords, as shown by Wikstrom of the Elite Four having an Aegislash as his ace and ancient kings being able to control the same Pokémon and use their power to their fullest.

Another Trainer who managed to get ahold of one of those ghostly blades is Sawyer from the anime, who managed to train it from a little Honedge to its final stage, turning it into a difficult opponent to defeat.

Alas, its powers are also sought by bad and evil people, like Argus Steel from “Diancie — Princess of the Diamond Domain” and “Diancie and the Coocoon of Destruction”, who had a full set of swords to try to kidnap Diancie by striking it with its greatest weakness. Or Celosia from the Pokémon Adventures manga, who had both an Honedge and Aegislash to control her targets, like Shauna and a group of Sky Trainers, as well as the middle-staged Doublade to fight against the former.

Now that you know more about these bladed spirits, let’s get some discussion going with these questions:
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon? If so, what would you change?
  • What do you think happens to Doublade’s second sword when it evolves into Aegislash? Does it fuse with the first sword, does it become its shield, or something else?
  • What do you think about the Ghost/Steel typing? Should other Pokémon get said typing?
  • What is your opinion about Pokémon based on manmade objects? Do they fit among the other animal-based creatures?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future feel free to suggest them at the bottom of your post. However, make you give your thoughts and opinion about the current Pokémon first.

Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper
Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff
Pokémon of the Week #45: Lotad, Lombre, & Ludicolo
Pokémon of the Week #46: Kangakhan
Pokémon of the Week #47: Riolu and Lucario
Pokémon of the Week #48: Raichu
Pokémon of the Week #49: Magikarp & Gyarados
Pokémon of the Week #50: Horsea, Seadra & Kingdra
Pokémon of the Week #51: Elgyem & Beheeyem
Pokémon of the Week #52: Scyther & Scizor
Pokémon of the Week #53: Crabrawler & Crabominable
Pokémon of the Week #54: Rotom
Pokémon of the Week #55: Numel and Camerupt
Pokémon of the Week #56: Sableye
Pokémon of the Week #57: Corsola
Pokémon of the Week #58: Diglett and Dugtrio
Pokémon of the Week #59: Klink, Klang, Klinklang
Pokémon of the Week #60: Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree
Pokémon of the Week #61: Gible, Gabite & Garchomp
Pokémon of the Week #62: Celebi
Pokémon of the Week #63: Feebas and Milotic

I'm mixed on their design. I like the coat of arms concept, but I prefer object Pokemon that evolve with the object (Yamask, Litwick) over those who just add more of the same kind (Klink, Magnemite). I wanted to see a ghost knight as the final stage instead. I like how Doublade and Honedge can unfold themselves for battling, and they look solid enough on their own
What I don't like about these Pokemon's biology is that it says that it absorbs the life force of the wielder, which instantly means that we will never get to se the badass moment of someone using it in a swordfight. Another missed opportunity, don't understand why sometimes creepy factor takes priority over common sense.

In the anime, Sawyer gave them good use, while they only appeared once. I'd liked them to appear in a Wikstrom filler.

In the games, they make an awesome match with haunted castles, but with the last 2 generations being uncreative with the dungeons designs who knows it we will see them there someday.

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
    I'm rather fond of it, honestly. I've wanted a Ghost/Steel-type for years.
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
    Pretty useful. Even without evolving it into Aegislash, you get a Pokemon that has great physical stats.
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
    Pretty simple to use, honestly; just use King's Shield whenever you think you're about to be attacked.
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
    Meh.
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
    Megalomaniacs would use them to help them gain power.
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon? If so, what would you change?
    Nothing, really.
  • What do you think happens to Doublade’s second sword when it evolves into Aegislash? Does it fuse with the first sword, does it become its shield, or something else?
    I think they fuse.
  • What do you think about the Ghost/Steel typing? Should other Pokémon get said typing?
    It's a good typing that I've waited years for. I'm glad to finally see it be real.
  • What is your opinion about Pokémon based on manmade objects? Do they fit among the other animal-based creatures?
    I have no problems with them. Manmade object yokai are very common in Japanese folklore.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?

I love the Aegislash line! Their type is really cool and interesting, just like their designs.

How is this Pokémon in-game?
How is this Pokémon in competitive play?

I wouldn't really know.

Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?

I think the anime portrays it well enough. I don't see it being featured very often, though.

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon? If so, what would you change?

I'd give it X-Scissor.

What do you think happens to Doublade’s second sword when it evolves into Aegislash? Does it fuse with the first sword, does it become its shield, or something else?

I guess it becomes the shield, but I'm not entirely sure.

What do you think about the Ghost/Steel typing? Should other Pokémon get said typing?

It's a unique and cool combination that I wouldn't mind seeing on another Pokémon that can pull it off well.

What is your opinion about Pokémon based on manmade objects? Do they fit among the other animal-based creatures?

I love inanimate object Pokémon! They make up a lot of my favorites. I say they fit in just fine.

Like. Nice concept, design and typing. Aegislash makes a really good use of its Ability.
One of the best Pokemon available in XY, big time! Available just before Grant; good for Grant, perfect for Korrina, nice for Ramos, still OK for Clemont, good for Valerie, Olympia and Wulfric.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
There's a reason it's in the Uber tier; enough said :) Stance Change is a great Ability, King's Shield is a great move, it is very versatile... just great.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Oh yeah, Sawyer's Aegislash was great to see battling in the League.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
People would be afraid of it and consider it strange because it's based on an item... although I think it should go the other way around, I'll explain later.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon? If so, what would you change?
Better HP and Speed and a second signature move, King's Slash; a sort-of counterpart to King's Shield that is offensive and punishes the opponent if they can't figure out right if/when it'll attack/defend.
What do you think happens to Doublade’s second sword when it evolves into Aegislash? Does it fuse with the first sword, does it become its shield, or something else?
How evolution works exactly is debatable, but if something needs to happen to it, both of those theories seem fine.
What do you think about the Ghost/Steel typing? Should other Pokémon get said typing?
Great typing. It would be cool to see more Pokemon get said typing... but at the same time I like how it's unique to this line.
What is your opinion about Pokémon based on manmade objects? Do they fit among the other animal-based creatures?
My personal theory is that, in the Pokemon world, those Pokemon existed before humans thought of creating these objects, and the Pokemon themselves were the inspiration for these objects' creation.
For example, someone saw the Honedge line and thought that objects similar to their body parts, which were later called "sword" and "shield", would be useful for humans to carry as well. Similarly, someone saw the Klink line and theorized that the object that would later be called "gear" could have uses in engineering etc.

Very interesting Pokemon. Despite me not being a fan of Pokemon based on inanimate objects, I do like these Pokemon a lot. Then again, it could be my bias in that they were created by my favorite manga artist and writer of all time, Hitoshi Ariga. These Pokemon are excellent to use in-game and especially in competitive battles (right up there with Garchomp on overuse). Despite its usefulness, Aegislash is very predictable. There's not much of a strategy in terms of just making use of its ability and King's Shield. It's easier to counter in Doubles, but in Singles, despite it being predictable, it's a pain to fight.

Never saw any of these Pokemon in the anime.

If these Pokemon existed in the real world, they'd have been used in the Middle Ages. Today, they'd just make a cool addition to any team, especially those who love sword-fighting. I'd imagine they'd be very dangerous in the wild. I would hate to come across a living sword!

There's not too much I would change to this line. Aegislash is good at making use of its ability and the moves they learn suit the line perfectly. Maybe I'd bump up their Speed stat a bit.

I'd go with Doublade fusing and becoming this ultra powerful sword with a few of its metallic elements going on to make an effective shield. I've never thought of this before, so yes, I am winging for an answer. XD

Ghost/Steel is an excellent type combination. It has plenty of resistances, very few weaknesses, and is immune to three types. This typing rocks, so yes, more Pokemon of Ghost/Steel typing, please!

Reading @Zexy above in regards to Pokemon based on inanimate objects, his response was perfect and makes sense in a way on how the Pokemon world would work. As far as my personal opinion on inanimate Pokemon, again, I am not a huge fan, but the Honedge-line is interesting in their own way just because of how useful they are.

I have mixed feelings about this Pokémon. The designs are really cool, and I do love the whole concept. You do get tired of them though, after seeing them in almost every single competitive match.

It's funny, but I've hardly ever seen any in-game. Never used one either.

How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?

I mean, this thing is known for its use in competitive. Even Aegislash's pre-evoultuion Doublade is useful in competitive, and to be honest, I really do prefer said pre-evolution. Give it Sword Dance and smack an eviolite on it, and you're good to go.

How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
You could probably use it to slice bread. Considering the fact that they're ghost swords, I don't really see anyone having them as pets. You could probably use them to fight, but in the end I think they'd be rather dangerous to be around.

I think it becomes the sheild. Not a very creative answer, but it seems like the most logical explanation to me.

YES. I love this typing, and I really wish more Pokémon had it. I would really like to see a ghost in armour.

Personally I think that depends entirely on the object in question. Would a plain chandelier with eyes be stupid? Yes. Is Chandelure stupid? No. You have to use the concept right. Almost anything can be a good base if you give it the right treatment.

I really like Aegislash and its prevos a lot! It was one of my top team members in my original playthrough of Y. A haunted sword(s + shield) just looked and sounded so damn cool! Plus, Steel is one of my favorite types and I really like swords and just overall I love this Pokemon. One of the best of Gen VI, up there with Talonflame.

Pretty good - though honestly XY was so easy that any Pokemon was good in-game.

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon?
Hm... I don't think so. It's pretty solid as is imo.

What do you think happens to Doublade’s 2nd sword when it evolves into Aegislash? Does it fuse with the first sword, become its shield, or something else?

Pokemon logic. Lol, I dunno. I suppose it probably transforms into the shield. But you could just as easily ask where it came from in the first place.

I like the Ghost/Steel typing a lot! Both two great types. And hell yeah, why not?

What is your opinion about Pokémon based on man-made objects? Do they fit among the other animal-based creatures?

Used sparingly, yes, definitely! I like them. Especially if they're Ghost types; i.e. haunted man-made objects.

Very cool line. Concept is something that was suggested by fans for a while and Game Freak pulled it off nicely. Having the tassels on the ends of the swords function as hands is a smart idea. They have some really good animations compared to lots of other Pokemon - when they unsheathe themselves, or when Aegislash changes between its forms, it's very well animated. I also like Doublade's animation when it spins around to attack.

Aegislash is a bit of a beast competitively and I'm fairly confident it's responsible for Steel no longer resisting Dark and Ghost, but that's fine. It's an interesting Pokemon to use in battle and can create some mind games which is fun if you're the one using it rather than on the receiving end of it :D

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom