• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #74: Voltorb & Electrode

Reaction score
The winter holidays are finally coming to an end and the new year is just around the corner, which will be announced by colorful showers of lights all around the globe — both in ours and in the Pokémon World.

Among the various creatures that inhabit the latter, there is a pair of Pokémon who in particular enjoy the booms, and these Pokémon are…

250px-100Voltorb.png
250px-101Electrode.png

The red and white fake balls, Voltorb and Electrode!

Known for being the first schmuck baits in the Pokémon series, who disguised themselves as overworld items to surprise the players, this duo has stuck around since the very first generation, Self-Destructing or Exploding on the faces of careless and unaware Trainers.

Another characteristic known about them is their extreme mood swings. Just strike them enough physically, and you will either be paralyzed by their Static or will taste their destructive power with the Aftermath of your actions. Also, they don’t mind the loud noises of explosions, as they are completely Soundproof, meaning that they can detonate virtually all day and with little to no provocation.

3DisQlw.png

A real-life Electrode preparing to detonate after using Magnet Rise.

Aside from its touchiness and love for explosions, the other most defining trait of Electrode is its blazingly fast Speed. Originally sporting an impressive 140 in Speed, it was the fastest Pokémon in existence, surpassing even Jolteon, Crobat and Mewtwo! It was only with the third generation that this speedball was dethroned as fastest Pokémon by the still unbeaten Deoxys Speed.

In SM, its Speed has been raised to 150, turning it into the 4th fastest Pokémon, alongside Deoxys Normal and Attack, Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl. This allows it to outspeed almost any unboosted Pokémon and strike it down with status moves or the fastest Electro Ball of the West. Voltorb is no slouch either, as it has a very respectable 100 in Speed.

Alas, aside from their Speed, neither Voltorb nor Electrode have any other notable stat, with their Special Attack and Special Defense being passable at best, and their other stats being really lackluster. Nonetheless, they can still be very annoying when encountered in the games, as they are very prone to use Self-Destruct at the worst of the moments.

This is often seen in the anime, where almost every time a Voltorb or an Electrode appears, they often react to threats by detonating on the spot, effectively making them dangerous to approach. Among their most relevant appearances, there is their role in “The Underground Round Up”, where a little town was infested by an overpopulation of Electrode and where Togepi had befriended a Voltorb.

Many Electrode also appeared in the Pokémon Generations’ episode “The Lake of Rage”, where they essentially mirrored their games’ counterparts and channelled energy for Team Rocket’s radio signal, before being freed by Lance and his Dragonite.

And now, for a little final trivia: Electrode is one of the three Pokémon cards to have an exclusive card in the “Pokémon Trading Card Game” for Game Boy Color which was later turned into a real card. The other two were Tangela and Dragonite.

With this said, time to go forward before these feisty creatures let out their boom before the arrival of the new year. Here are some questions to kickstart the conversation, but you can propose new ones if you wish. Just make sure to follow the rules and to respond to at least some of these questions first!
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • What do you think of their in-game gimmick? Should other Pokémon have similar disguises and tricks?
  • Do you prefer simple designs or more complex ideas? Should Voltorb and Electrode have received more details?
  • Do you think the Voltorb Flip is a good replacement for the standard slot machines? Why?
We hope you have enjoyed these POTWs throughout all this year, and we wish you a good and happy 2018!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper
Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff
Pokémon of the Week #45: Lotad, Lombre, & Ludicolo
Pokémon of the Week #46: Kangakhan
Pokémon of the Week #47: Riolu & Lucario
Pokémon of the Week #48: Raichu
Pokémon of the Week #49: Magikarp & Gyarados
Pokémon of the Week #50: Horsea, Seadra & Kingdra
Pokémon of the Week #51: Elgyem & Beheeyem
Pokémon of the Week #52: Scyther & Scizor
Pokémon of the Week #53: Crabrawler & Crabominable
Pokémon of the Week #54: Rotom
Pokémon of the Week #55: Numel & Camerupt
Pokémon of the Week #56: Sableye
Pokémon of the Week #57: Corsola
Pokémon of the Week #58: Diglett & Dugtrio
Pokémon of the Week #59: Klink, Klang, Klinklang
Pokémon of the Week #60: Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree
Pokémon of the Week #61: Gible, Gabite & Garchomp
Pokémon of the Week #62: Celebi
Pokémon of the Week #63: Feebas & Milotic
Pokémon of the Week #64: Honedge, Doublade & Aegislash
Pokémon of the Week #65: Shieldon & Bastiodon
Pokémon of the Week #66: Zorua & Zoroark
Pokémon of the Week #67: Zubat, Golbat, & Crobat
Pokémon of the Week #68: Swinub, Piloswine, & Mamoswine
Pokémon of the Week #69: Wimpod & Golisopod
Pokémon of the Week #70: Farfetch’d
Pokémon of the Week #71: Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o & Kommo-o
Pokémon of the Week #72: Gallade
Pokémon of the Week #73: Snover and Abomasnow

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Neither.
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
It's all right. I used it a FireRed run. I don't remember having any problems with it.
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
A Hoenn episode where a girl disguises her Electrode as a giant watermelon. That was hilarious.
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats. Also, more forms besides the standard Pokeball.
  • Do you prefer simple designs or more complex ideas? Should Voltorb and Electrode have received more details?
If Electrode gets a Mega Evolution, it should.

electrode should have differnt forms, depending on which type of pokeball you cuaght the voltorb it evolved from in. All wild electrode would be normal because they've never been in a pokeball. The form could also determan it's moves it could learn and stats!

Electrode s a pretty sadly underpowered Pokémon. Its speed is fantastic but it doesn't have powerful attacks or a diverse toolkit to do much with it. I feel like they were a lot stronger before Explosion was nerfed, but even then they have always been low tier for a reason. It's exploding gimmick has so little use in battle since its Attack is dismally low, and it doesn't have high Special Attack or bulk to make up for it. I think Electrode could use a buff in some way. There are three possibilities that I'd like to see:

1. Give it more supportive attacks. That high speed would be fantastic if it could set up other Pokémon for success like a Spikes set Accelgor or a Baton Pass Ninjask.

2. Give it an evolution. There are several Pokémon that just struggle to compete with others for that team slot and need a drastic change or boost in power to accomplish that. An evolution that improved on all of its stats could capitalize the potential that I feel the line has had all along.

3. Give it a Mega Evolution. An alternative to a standard evolution; if they ever bring back Megas I think Electrode would be a prime candidate. I would personally give its Mega a major buff to its Attack power as well as the ability Galvanize to really make use of that Explosion gimmick. Assuming about 50 stat points went into Attack (which would be just about enough to fix some of the major problems I have with the Pokémon), they could then choose to either go all in on offense and boost its Special Attack to new heights or make it bulkier so you can get in more hits before Exploding.

Option 3 is probably my preferred solution to the Electrode problem. Regardless of how, Electrode does deserve more in some way.

I feel that this line is a pretty ingenious execution of mimics. I think Voltorb and Electrode may be like the only ones that have actually used the world and setting they are from in their design. I kinda feel like their designs are perfect just the way they are. I love Voltorb's perpetual anger and Electrode's trolly smirk. They both work really well with pretending to be loot and exploding. Voltorb is a grump that is so angry about being disturbed that it will explode. Electrode is all too happy to be disturbed knowing that it just ruined someone's day by tricking them into believing they had found an item and tops it off by exploding in their face. Pretty much Voltorb evolving into Electrode is the Pokemon fully embracing the spirit of the troll.

Their battle tactics could definitely use a little more synergy with their designs. Mostly I'm speaking about how Self-Destruct and Explosion go off their worst stat. I'm not really sure how to make it happen though. Work of its better stats? Bonuses for these Pokemon specifically? A whole new move? I don't really know. I think Electrode could also do well with Trick considering it's high speed and just that tricking others is its whole purpose in life.

Also I love Voltorb Flip and wish it was in every game.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Like. Nice design, concept, niche with its high speed.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Rather underwhelming, unfortunately. I did use Electrode at some point as they are catachble in their evolved form in Rocket/Aqua/Magma Hideouts.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
They can make use of high Speed and self-destructing moves.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I only remember one filler episode starring them, I wasn't particularly amused.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
People would be afraid of it exploding.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats and maybe a secondary typing, Steel? Abilities are fine as is.
What do you think of their in-game gimmick? Should other Pokémon have similar disguises and tricks?
Sure. The Foongus line pulled off one, here's hoping for more :)
Do you prefer simple designs or more complex ideas? Should Voltorb and Electrode have received more details?
Not really, I feel like the simplicity is still good for them.
Do you think the Voltorb Flip is a good replacement for the standard slot machines? Why?
Eh, not personally a fan, but it is a fair replacement for a mechanic they clearly wanted gone, so fine.

I've never liked this line much at all. In fact, Electrode is my least favourite Electric-type Pokemon, I find its design boring, and it looks like it has taken hazardously large amounts of drugs. On top of it, its movepool is barren, and it lacks any good stats aside from amazing Speed. I liked watermelon-painted Electrode in What You Seed is What You Get anime episode, though, but that's it.
I'm not fond of Voltorb Flip minigame, but then again, I've never been into slot machines, either, and they had to replace them because of the anti-gambling laws. I found it entirely tedious, since the prices for TMs stayed the same as in Sinnoh games, and you couldn't purchase the coins anymore.

I quite like electrode, if only for its hilarious facial expressions. Back in Gen VI, I used the infamous swagplay set on it. It might not have access to prankster like liepard and co., but it's extremely fast nonetheless, with the bonus of being immune to paralysis. Alas, with the nerf to thunder wave, confusion, and swagger in gen VII, it's not nearly as easy to abuse anymore. A shame, I'd have loved to have trolled more people with it than I got the chance to...

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom