• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #76: Mew

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect.

Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is…

20th_Anniversary_Mew.png

Mew, the New Species Pokémon!

Introduced in the Red / Green / Blue games, this elusive Pokémon had quickly become a limitless source of myths and rumors back in those days — namely the (in)famous “Mew Under the Truck” rumor — among the very first fans… which is all pretty fitting for a Mythical Pokémon.

There are countless ways to get Mew in the games, however: you can get it by exploiting glitches in the Game Boy games, by obtaining an Old Sea Map with the directions for Faraway Island in Emerald, by trading a Pokémon for a Mew in My Pokémon Ranch or by getting the pink cat directly through events endorsed by Nintendo / Game Freak.

Believed by many to be the ancestor of all Pokémon and a talented shapeshifter, this psychic cat can have access to every single TM, HM and Tutor Move, aside of the group-exclusive ones (like Draco Meteor, Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn and Hydro Cannon). Among other moves it has access to there are Transform, Baton Pass, Nasty Plot, Aura Sphere, Reflect Type, and many more options, including its exclusive Z-Move Genesis Supernova.

Mew is no slouch in terms of offensive and defensive prowess either, as it has well-rounded 100-stats which allow it to be tailored to fit whatever role the team may need, like stat boost Baton Passer, defensive status spreader with Will-O-Wisp and Synchronize, or Psychic Terrain setter with its Z-Crystal. All these traits turn Mew into one of the most versatile Pokémon to date.

In terms of portrayals in other media, Mew has been featured many times in the anime. It was one of the main protagonists in “Mewtwo Strikes Back” and in “Lucario and the Mystery of Mew”, as well as an important supporting character in the special episode “The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon”. It also got brief cameos in the Sun / Moon episode “Alola, Kanto!” and in the Pokémon Origins’s episode “File 4: Charizard”.

And now, here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • What is your stance about event-exclusive Pokémon and items?
  • What’s your favorite rumor about Mew?
  • How does Mew compare to its “child”, Mewtwo?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thank you to @CrystaI for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Like. It's elusive and thus rare, it has a nice design and a great backstory, being the ancestor of all modern Pokemon etc.
It's also very popular even among older fans who aren't keeping up with the later generations.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Rare to find, and not available under trucks :p
Seriously though, I'd never really use a Mythical in-game.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
It has totally balanced stats and a huge movepool, there are lots of different strategies for it.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Yes! Its appearance in the first movie was great.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
It would be extremely rare and sought after... hopefully not by evil organizations like Team Rocket, though. Guyana would be a dangerous place otherwise...
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Different Ability maybe? I wouldn't really change typing, stats or movepool.
What is your stance about event-exclusive Pokémon and items?
Not a fan personally, but they're going to be a series standard so I'm accepting it.
What’s your favorite rumor about Mew?
That it can be found under the truck in SS Anne, of course!
How does Mew compare to its “child”, Mewtwo?
It's a case of the "child" surpassing the "parent", I guess :)

Never forget the conspiracy fan theory of "Ditto is a failed clone of Mew", and the ultimate debate of "Which comes first? Mew or Arceus?" Well this may suit better in the respective PotW thread, but nonetheless it worth to mention.

Personally I don't have much opinion on its competitiveness, simply because...... I never ever manage to obtain one for myself. Don't you just feel frustrated for these gameplay disadvantages simply because you are not living in big cities but at the countryside?

Many people seems to mistake Mew being a "legendary" pokemon (You can't help it, because in English medium "legendary" and "mystic" pokemons are often treated as the same category), but in fact there doesn't exist any in-universe legends or myths or folklore around this pokemon. Mew is at best a super-rare pokemon, but it is never any "legendary" pokemon.
Probably because of that, personally speaking I don't have much affinity towards Mew. I prefer characters that have a background story. Mew's status of simply being a super-rare species doesn't arouse any interesting story to tell from a narrative POV. Though yet, nonetheless, it is quite a popular pokemon for fanfic writing. But just not for me......

And are you serious of the question of comparing Mew to Mewtwo? It is just incomparable simply because, MEWTWO IS ALWAYS BETTER BY MILLIONS MILE AHEAD!!!!! End of discussion. Period.

It's probably the cutest legendary of all time! It's cry in the movie was adorable. Also, it looks like a floating cat and makes a "Mew" sound. I love cats, so I love Mew.

Never used Mew in-game. By the time I get it, the game is already over. I'd imagine it would break the game with how good its movepool is and its high stats.

I never used Mew competitively since I never participate in Uber battles and most of the battles I have online are made to exlude legendaries.

I loved it in the first movie! The only good thing about the English dub. It was much better in the Japanese version. I even like it in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Why not? It's so cute!

This Pokemon would be so rare that finding it would be once in a lifetime. Someone may get a hold of it and try to create Mewtwo, then we're really screwed.

I wouldn't change a thing. It can learn every TM and has even split stats all across the board. I guess if I had to change it, I would give it another type like Psychic/Normal.

At first, I hated exclusive-event Pokemon and items. Before 2012, I lived in a rural area that in order to get exclusives, I had to travel 30 minutes to a GameStop or an hour to get to a Toys R Us. I now live in a city where the closest GameStop and Toy R Us is less than a few blocks away. So, I don't mind nearly as much. I wish they would do more giving Pokemon over online than traveling to a store.

Beating the Elite Four so many times that Prof. Oak would give you a Mew. That, and the SS Anne trick. Talk about wasted hours I will never get back.

Mewtwo is vastly superior in terms of stats and its ability to Mega Evolve. It loses points because it isn't as cute. :LOL:

Mew isn't my favourite "cute " Mythical (Manaphy is more appealing to me), but I still like it. Its shiny is cool, too. And then there is the fact it can learn a vast number of moves, including Transform. I never played any of the Generation I games, so I never got to catch it using the famous glitch, though.
I liked Mew in the Lucario movie, its antics were cute in a way. I especially liked it when it carried away Pikachu after he was weakened in the battle against the two Weavile.

Mew is so cute and it's one of my favorite Pokemon. I have never captured a Mew but I did battle Mew a lot from school. Whenever I would see a student use Mew in a Pokemon battle, my Mewtwo would always defeat the Mews. I remember one time someone used a lvl 150 Mew and I used a lvl 100 Mewtwo. My lvl 100 Mewtwo weakened the lvl 150 Mew a lot and I still managed to win the battle. I loved seeing Mew in the movie, "Pokemon: The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back" and I saw this movie in theaters. I have heard rumors that you could catch Mew from a glitch but I have never tried it and all the students I met who had a Mew said they got Mew from a Game Shark Memory. Mew and Mewtwo are my favorite Pokemon ship pairing.

Mew has always been one of my favourite legendaries for quite a long time now. I mean, for obvious reasons: it's cute, it's actually decently powerful, and it has quite a bit of background to it, as well! Not only that though, I think Movie 8 put a sizeable amount of personality into Mew, making me like it even more. ♥

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom