• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #81: Snorunt, Glalie, and Froslass

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it cool. This week's Pokémon of choice are Snorunt and its evolutions, Glalie and Froslass!

250px-361Snorunt.png
250px-362Glalie.png
250px-478Froslass.png
240px-362Glalie-Mega.png

Snorunt and its evolution, Glalie, are Ice-type Pokémon introduced in Generation III. Snorunt, known as the Snow Hat Pokémon for its yellow, hat-like cloak, subsists on ice and snow in the wild and is said to make any homes it visits prosper. When it evolves into Glalie at level 42, its appearance changes rather drastically, becoming an icy, floating head with pointy, ear-like horns and no limbs, but retaining Snorunt’s bared teeth and blue eye color. Glalie can expertly manipulate moisture in the air to freeze opponents or solidify its own icy armor.

In Generation IV, Froslass was introduced as an alternate evolution for Snorunt, making the family a branched evolution line. Froslass will only evolve from female Snorunt when exposed to a Dawn Stone, although female Snorunt may still evolve into Glalie with the usual method. Froslass is the only known Ice/Ghost-type Pokémon, and another drastic change from Snorunt appearance-wise, with a hollow torso like a kimono and two long arms all draping from a floating head complete with stubby ice horns and a sly expression. Froslass, rumored by some in the Pokémon world to be the reincarnation of a woman lost on an icy mountain, chills her victims with an icy breath and displays their frozen bodies in her lair. Snorunt and its two evolutions all seem to have basis in various spirits of Japanese folklore.

To top the line off, Glalie was given a Mega Evolution in Generation VI. When powered up into Mega Glalie from the effects of Glalitite, Glalie’s jaw becomes dislocated, so its mouth hangs agape as Mega Glalie expels freezing blizzards. However, Froslass never received a Mega Evolution.

One notable member of this lovely evolutionary line was caught as a Snorunt by the main protagonist of the Pokémon anime, Ash Ketchum, on Izabe Island in the Hoenn region. Ash met his Snorunt when the troublesome Pokémon stole the trainer’s badge case. When Ash Ketchum got knocked out saving Snorunt from an avalanche, the Snorunt returned the favor by sheltering Ash from the ongoing snowstorm and providing him food. Eventually, Ash caught Snorunt and began training with the Snow Hat Pokémon. Snorunt struggled to learn Ice Beam for some time, until it finally evolved into Glalie and got the hang of the move during a battle against the ever-persistent Team Rocket trio. Since then, Ash’s Glalie proved to be a formidable force throughout Ketchum’s travels in Hoenn.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • What do you think of Froslass’ unique Ice/Ghost typing? Would you like to see more Pokémon with this type combination?
  • Do you think Froslass should have gotten her own Mega Evolution? Or should Glalie not have?
  • Would Snorunt and Glalie work well as differently typed Pokémon - Ice/Fairy and Ice/Dark, for instance? (Not like they aren’t absolutely perfect the way they are, obviously.)
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future, just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thank you to @CynthiaLover for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

I like Froslass for her unique typing and sly design, as well as her decent movepool with moves like Thunderbolt and Wake-Up Slap, but the rest of the family just don't do it for me. Glalie is pretty ugly and has mediocre stats all around, while its Mega creeps me out despite having better stats. I do think that Froslass should have received a Mega, too, since her only good stat is Speed. Also, I think she shouldn't have been given Shadow Ball as a level-up move in OR/AS, because it'd have given the players more incentive to explore every corner of the region.

Snorunt and Glailie are among my favorite Ice-types, because they look very unique among the few Ice-types that exist, which are all about white and snow. They are humanoid but not quite. Also, I saw a theory which said that Snorunt represents fear of cold, so he covers himself with a blanket and is always shivering, and he finally evolves when he embraces cold, becoming a Hockey player, someone who plays in ice! That makes them awesome.

Frosslass is a very elegant and unexpected evolution, she is among the top designs for Sinnoh's new evolutions. She should get a Mega. Mega Glailie is bizarre in the wrong way, but at least he keeps what was good about Glailie.

In the anime, Snorunt and Glailie appeared to be Hoenn's version of Phanpy, but a very intense Ice Beam training and 3 league battles prevented that! Noivern would like to say the same... Glailie didn't do much afterwards but it's still memorable. Frosslass was used by many important trainers, the most memorable is Paul who used her ability to his benefit.

Last edited:
Snorunt looks so cute, Froslass has a nice pretty design that reminds me of a kimono girl, and I do not like the way how Glalie is designed because it only has a head and the horns creeps me out a bit. I would definitely change Glalie's design if I was given the power to do so. I would give Glalie a cat design, give it a body, legs, and a tail. With Glalie's new design I would have given it, yes, I would be satisfied that it would get a Mega Evolution but with the current design Glalie has now, it should not have gotten a Mega Evolution and instead, it should have been given to Froslass.

I love love love Froslass's design, and my only foray into the "competitive" aspect of Pokémon, I quite enjoyed leading with Froslass and Taunting, then DBond'ing. I never got good or anything, but it was fun. :3 My soft spot for the species started with a fanfic with a main Froslass character, and surprisingly, there's a good amount of fanfics featuring Glalie, too!

I like this line except for one member. Snorunt is cute and Froslass had a nice design. I don't like Glalie at all. A huge chunk of ice with an ugly grin is not something I would call my favorite anytime soon. In-game, Froslass is very good. Even in competitive battles she can be a beast used by those who can who really know the metagame. She has a decent movepool and her speed is high, also that Ghost-typing can be used to her advantage. She doesn't have the best Special Attack, but she can manage. All of Glalie's stats are at 80. Bleh. I would also give a Mega Stone to a much better Pokemon like Charizard or Salamence.

Ash's Snorunt was cute. I'd even go as far as to say his Glalie is nice. I love it when ugly Pokemon act cute in the anime. Makes me like them a tad more than their game counterparts.

Snorunt would be harmless, but Froslass and Glalie would be dangerous. I wouldn't mess with either of them. They'd only be found up in very northern countries like Alaska, Canada, Russia, Northern Europe and the Asian continent, Anarctica... any place that is brutally cold they would survive.

I'd add a litte more oomf to Froslass's Spectial Attack power.

Froslass gains one big advantage to being part Ghost, and that's that Fighting moves cannot hurt her (unless the attacker has Scrappy). Of course, being an Ice-type, it also brings a lot of weaknesses her way. Regardless, I think it helps her more than it hinders her. Nah, the Ice/Ghost typing is a good unique thing she should only have.

Glalie needed a Mega Evolution to bump up those terrible stats, but I kind of wish they gave Froslass one, too. Kinda like the Ralts line with Gardevoir and Gallade.

Nah. Their types don't need to change. Don't fix what isn't broken.

For a while Frosslass has been the better Pokemon imo.. Faster speed, better typing and just overall the more usable Ice type Pokemon.. Glalie was always that not as useful Ice type Pokemon and one I've avoided for a while because of it's inability to be as useful as it's counterpart. The mega evolution though does help it but at the same time it's not as good because that 100 base speed tier is way too common in competitive Pokemon and the pure Ice type still hurts it. but there is that Refrigerate Explosion but you lose your mega to an Explosion user and it's generally not worth the stone. maybe if it had a higher Speed tier then it could work with Explosion as a last resort move but the 100 Base speed hurts it's potential quite a bit. maybe if they made it or boost it to 110 then it would be more viable and just better in general
Frosslass could use a better sp. attack though since It's better from the Special side with access to Shadow ball. there's really no reason to use physical Lass since you lose out on Ghost Stab. and also getting Access to Weather ball which is a nice Niche for it in weather based teams. Another downside is the ability. Cursed Body is ok a but it's a bit of a gimmick, and Snow cloak is only useful in Hail which is not really as common of a weather than the others.
design wise though Frosslass still looks better. Glalie just looks meh..
I honestly would have Preferred it if Frosslass was the one that got the mega evolution tbh.. it is the one with the most potential out of the two and this would only bolster it's dominance over Glalie.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Snowrunt: Like. It's so dang cute. It shivers. I want to hold it. My poor little ice pizza.
Glalie: Dislike. It scares me. That face. It's mega is worse. *throws sheet over*
Froslass: Yukionna are neat. Yukionna pokemon is also neat. Though the arms being attached to the head bother me.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
I... I have never actually used this family in my pokemon games. :x
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Snowrunts caught and gifted to small children because omg cute present at christmas time. When it evolves it will likely get abandoned like what people do with rabbits and ducks around easter. :\ Froslass would likely be considered a danger if it's freezing people in the mountains.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Snowrunt: SNOWRUNT IS PERFECT AND SHOULD NEVER CHANGE.
Glalie: I cannot think of a way to make it less scary looking.
Froslass: *moves ends of its arms to under the head*
What do you think of Froslass’ unique Ice/Ghost typing? Would you like to see more Pokémon with this type combination?
I didn't even realize it was unique. >>; I don't tend to pay too much attention to distribution of types. I don't see why we shouldn't have more.
Do you think Froslass should have gotten her own Mega Evolution? Or should Glalie not have?
Heck yeah. Make her look cool and spooky. No reason for Glalie to have his taken away because Gamefreak neglected to give one to the other evolution.
Would Snorunt and Glalie work well as differently typed Pokémon - Ice/Fairy and Ice/Dark, for instance? (Not like they aren’t absolutely perfect the way they are, obviously.)
Naaaaah. Nahhhh. They fine. They good. Leave em be.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Like. I always liked Glalie's design, Snorunt's design is also somewhat cute, and Froslass is a very cool Pokemon too.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Not so good. In Hoenn it is obtained late, takes a while to evolve, isn't that useful with its totally well-rounded stats as Glalie. Sinnoh is one of the regions I've played the least in, so I can't really tell how Froslass does there. At least ORAS gives Glalie a Mega to make it a bit better.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Froslass has quite the use with its typing and Ability. Glalie's unfortunately too well-rounded to stand out.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Ash's Glalie was nice, shame it was pretty much taken out of his team a bit too soon and not used much since. Don't remember a Froslass appearance.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
People would like Snorunt but be afraid of both Glalie and Froslass, if dex entries are anything to come by.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats for both Glalie and Froslass (still the same BST, for Glalie just increase all stats by the same amount, for Froslass focus on Special Attack and Speed). Froslass also needs a Mega, not a fan of split evolutionary lines where only the one side gets Mega.
What do you think of Froslass’ unique Ice/Ghost typing? Would you like to see more Pokémon with this type combination?
Not really, I think she does her job with that typing very well. I'd rather see a buffed Froslass than some other Ice/Ghost-type outshining it.
Do you think Froslass should have gotten her own Mega Evolution? Or should Glalie not have?
Oh yes, Froslass should get that as already explained above.
Would Snorunt and Glalie work well as differently typed Pokémon - Ice/Fairy and Ice/Dark, for instance? (Not like they aren’t absolutely perfect the way they are, obviously.)
I think it is OK for Snorunt to stay pure Ice, but yes as things are Glalie would rather have a secondary typing, to match Froslass gaining one. I've been considering Ice/Steel because it looks a bit tough especially in its Mega form. But Fairy and Dark could also work. I also think a secondary type would give Glalie much more usefulness, I like it too and am kinda sad to see it's not seeing much use because of how its base stats work.

Glalie is amazing, my favourite Ice-type in the game easily and one of my top 10 favourite Pokemon as a whole.

I love how it isn't just an animal, it's a Pocket Monster. It's great that we get representation of lots of popular or obscure animals, plants, etc in Pokemon, but it's also equally great to see designs that are just monsters. It's just so unique among Pokemon, it's a giant floating head, based on onis, onigiri, and hockey masks. It's a crazy combination, full of creativity and it works.

I do like the Mega design for taking the crazy further, with the developed oni horn, as well as the wide open mouth from breaking its jaw. Everything about it is crazy and fun and monstrous and we need more of these types of designs in general. I will admit I do prefer regular Glalie to its Mega in design, but both are great - also I'm surprised it was given a Mega, I never thought Game Freak would give it any attention like that. That Refrigerate Explosion is super fun to just blow holes in things.

I am disappointed its stats are so painfully average, and that that is unlikely to change now it has a Mega, but at least with Moody it has itself a niche on Battle Spot as a Moody user, alongside Sheer Cold. To be honest, it got a Mega form and its regular form is usable in a metagame, so I can't ask for more than that from a Pokemon I've always liked but never expected Game Freak to do anything with.

Froslass is also great for similar reasons, since it still has some of the monster features Glalie has, but its design is more humanoid than Glalie (which given its inspiration is totally fine and not meant as a complaint), so I've always found myself appreciating Glalie more just for how unique and weird it is. As for Mega Froslass, well, sure, I guess it would have been only fair to give both them one, like Gardevoir and Gallade eventually got, but Froslass has always been the more usable of the two since it debuted, and it has better stats in general, so I don't find myself being that bothered ultimately. And yes, we definitely need more Ice/Ghost types! I thought we were getting one with the "snowman" rumours for SM, and was looking forward to Game Freak's take on it, but it ended up being Crabominable ("snowman" meaning yeti).

Oh, and Snorunt is a cute bundle of shivers, I love its animations since Gen 6 onwards. Sorry, long post :)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom