• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #85: Cleffa, Clefairy & Clefable

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is...

250px-173Cleffa.png
250px-035Clefairy.png
250px-036Clefable.png

Clefable, alongside its pre-evos Cleffa and Clefairy!

Clefairy and Clefable were first introduced in the Red/Green/Blue games, while their baby Cleffa was introduced in Gold/Silver. Ther whole lore is revolved around the stars, the meteors and the moon, which is made apparent by many things related to said lore: all members of this evolutionary line having star-based designs, Clefairy being found in Mt. Moon and having a special event on Mo(o)nday in the Gold/Silver/Crystal games (where you can get a Moon Stone), Clefairy evolving with a Moon Stone and having a higher catch rate if caught with the Moon Ball, Clefairy learning moves like Meteor Mash, Cosmic Power and Moonlight, and so on.

Another peculiar thing about this line is the fact that they originally had a different type: they all were Normal-type Pokémon, before being changed to the newest Fairy-type in Generation 6. This is a trait shared with the Snubbull line, who got their type replaced rather than having the Fairy-type added as a secondary type, which was the case with the Jigglypuff line.

Clefairy and Clefable are also known for their extremely vast movepool, which was something that was mostly attributed to Normal-types in general, who also are known for having colorful moves in their arsenals. Among attacking moves they have fun toys like Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Psyshock, Stored Power, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast (as a Clefable), and many more similar moves. They are no slouch in terms of defensive and supportive moves either, as they can learn Soft-Boiled, Wish, Healing Wish, Thunder Wave, Reflect, Light Screen, Gravity and Aromatherapy. Now this is a Pokémon that screams Four Moves Syndome – when a Pokémon wants to have more than four moves during a fight.

In terms of Abilites, they have really useful options in this area as well, excluding the rather situational Cute Charm. Said Abilites are Magic Guard, which makes them immune to residual damage – like damage done by Sand, Hail, Leech Seed, Poison, Burn or even Life Orb – and Friend Guard, which reduce damage done to ally Pokémon during Double Battles. Clefable, however, trades its Friend Guard for Unaware, which essentially ignores stats boosts and drops from the opponent, allowing it to stop set-up Pokémon (like Shell Smash and Dragon Dance users) without issues.

What about the anime, though? Clefairy first appeared in the episode “Clefairy and the Moon Stone!”, where many members of this species revered a giant Moon Stone and some of them even evolved. However, a running gag of the anime involves this species using Metronome, which usually results in panic from the main cast and an explosion. Meanwhile, Clefable got a relevant role in the SM series, being Lusamine’s main Pokémon and having faced the main cast in Ultra Space while under the influence of the inter dimensional area, before being returned back to normal alongside its owner and its other teammates by Ash and friends.

And now for a fun fact: Clefairy was originally considered to be used as the mascot of the franchise, before the attention shifted to Pikachu. This is somewhat referenced in the Pokémon Pocket Monsters manga, which features a talking Clefairy as one of the main characters.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Do you think they should have stuck to the idea of making Clefairy the franchise's mascot?
  • What other Pokémon do you think would benefit from a type change?
  • Since we got a Moon Ball for Pokémon that evolve with Moon Stones, should we have gotten other special Pokéballs for other kinds of evolution?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thank you to @Lyrebird, @Gengarzilla, and @Dolce for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

Clefairy is cute, but its evolution and preevolution are just too similar to it and don't change the concept radically, which makes them disappointing as it feels we are watching the same Pokemon 3 times. However, the fairy type makes them more special and exciting, and it was a really good decision to make them pure Fairy instead of Fairy/Normal because "continuity".

In the games, they appear in caves and "extraterrestial" territories, where they provide a break from rough and tough Pokemon who appear there. They have a nice role this gen, being the symbol of Lusamine and her family, with Clefable being used by the mother and Clefairy being Lillie's friend. They suit the family well and make a nice contrast with their cuteness, but it's strange the developers didn't introduce an Gen VII Pokemon family that maybe could have suited them better.

In the anime, they are the symbol of Mt. Moon and aliens, and have made a few appareances. Lusamine has great chemistry with her Clefable.

New Pokeballs should be made about details of the battle (weather, time of day,etc.) than about details of the Pokemon, because the former are easier to remember.

Clefairy’s alright, but I like Clefable more because of its goofy oblong shape, and Cleffa is just adorable. I’ve caught a few Cleffa and partially evolved one in Pokémon Ultra Sun, but I haven’t used the line in battle since Generation IV, though Lusamine’s Clefable seemed decent in battle from what I could tell. Of the Pokémon that were changed to Fairy types, the Clefairy line was certainly deserving of it, even if it creates inconsistencies between generations. One thing I’d change about Clefable (and other Pokémon that evolve with Stones, really) is losing access to a bunch of moves it could potentially learn at a prior stage. I never really saw the point of that, and I was frustrated years ago to learn my Clefable had missed the boat for Meteor Mash because I evolved it too soon.

They are cute but I always preferred Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff over Clefairy/Clefable which always get compared together. I have never used a Clefairy or Clefable in battle but I did battle Lusamine's Clefable and it was tough since it kept healing itself. I've never lost against Lusamine but at least she still gave me a good battle. I really liked the Clefairy Tales episode when the Clefairy's were stealing stuff from people and were going to fly a spaceship and then Jigglypuff comes and starts pounding the Clefairy's. I also like the voice acting for Clefairy.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Like, especially after it got the Fairy typing. Clefairy has been a mascot of the franchise for a while, a Mt Moon staple and well-known Pokemon in general. Nowadays it's even competitively good.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Not a huge fan of using it in-game, although in the Kanto games you could get it early and evolve it. But being a Normal-type it still didn't see much utility.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
It's great. Magic Guard/Unaware are both great, typing's nice, moveset's diverse, bulk is also good. Very hard to predict and annoying to deal with.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Like. I most fondly remember the Mt Moon episode early in the original series.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Most people would like it, some would conduct important research on it because it's extraterrestial, a few might be superstitious unfortunately.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats and maybe an extra Psychic typing or something. Abilities/moves and the like are already great.
Do you think they should have stuck to the idea of making Clefairy the franchise's mascot?
In retrospect, not really. Pikachu feels fine.
What other Pokémon do you think would benefit from a type change?
Several monotype Pokemon could get a secondary typing that seems to fit them and would make them better... but outright type changes like this one are more rare cases.
Since we got a Moon Ball for Pokémon that evolve with Moon Stones, should we have gotten other special Pokéballs for other kinds of evolution?
It would certainly be an interesting take, why not?

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?'
I LOVE THIS POKEMON LINE. In an rp my girlfriend made a dude who runs contests with mostly fairy pokemon and he has a Clefairy named Cleffini who's known to scream at things and just randomly metronome. The species grew on me because of it.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
*insert gif of Clefary and Jigglypuff slap fight here*
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Due to rarity, they'd be status symbols probably... poor things.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
CLEFAIRY. IS. PERFECT.
Do you think they should have stuck to the idea of making Clefairy the franchise's mascot?
Ye. :3
Since we got a Moon Ball for Pokémon that evolve with Moon Stones, should we have gotten other special Pokéballs for other kinds of evolution?
No... if anything we need more pokemon to evolve via Moon Stones so we can actually have more use for Moon Balls. ...And the ability to get a lot of Moon Balls in the first place. *remembers the Cleffa that broke my one Moon ball in Pokemon Moon*

I want a Clefairy plush in real life...

Cleffa and Clefable are adorable, but I've never liked Clefairy much. It is also annoying to face in Black 2/White 2, because Body Slam often causes paralysis and Cosmic Power/Moonlight combination is nasty as well, and poisoning it isn't even that good, since they often have Magic Guard. Clefable is formidable in battle, though, with moves like Moonblast, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, and Psyshock, and Magic Guard and Unaware are both very useful. It is a shame it can only get Soft-Boiled in Generation III, despite the fact it is still legal with Magic Guard, but it is a hassle to get, and Moonlight is just not all that reliable.

• Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I like them, we cool.
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
Its hard to find but I mean I would say Clefable battles good
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
I don’t use them oof
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I remember there was a episode involving the moon and a bunch of clefairies and a scientist. Thats all I remember
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Would get fat from moonpies
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Make gengar a possible evolution
  • Do you think they should have stuck to the idea of making Clefairy the franchise's mascot?
Meh, I think it would have lured more females than males which wasn’t their target audience at the time. But I mean a clefairy would have been cute
  • What other Pokémon do you think would benefit from a type change?
Charizard
  • Since we got a Moon Ball for Pokémon that evolve with Moon Stones, should we have gotten other special Pokéballs for other kinds of evolution?
I think so, mostly because at the beginning of the anime and comics pokemon were held in balls with symbols of their type.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom