• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #86: Absol

SirOni

Driving You Batty
Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Absol!

480px-359Absol.png

480px-359Absol-Mega.png

The foreteller of impending doom Absol is a single stage Dark-type Pokémon introduced in Generation III. It is a large white fur-coated mammalian creature with eastern symbols heavily incorporated into its design and a predisposition for trouble. Its species name, the Disaster Pokémon, refers to Absol’s ability to predict approaching catastrophes as well as the reputation it has received due to its use of this ability. Living in rugged and mountainous environments Absol only ever appears before humankind to warn them when it senses disaster draws near. Unfortunately, because of its reclusive life and that it only appears to warn of coming disasters many have put the blame on Absol for bringing these disasters. In contrast to other Dark-type Pokémon Absol appear to be rather benevolent with no real appetite for trickery or malice. Its Dark-typing may instead allude to its withdrawn nature and status as an outcast. Absol’s precognitive abilities and loner disposition come from many mythical inspirations. The main source cited by many theorists is the Bai Ze, an intelligent white horned beast from Chinese myth. It is best known for its conversations with the Yellow Emperor with whom it described all 11520 types of supernatural creatures in the world and how to go about stopping any harm they could bring. Relatedly in Japan there is a similar creature known as the kutabe that predicted a plague would hit the Toyama Prefecture. The kutabe is also said to have a third eye similar to the black oval present on Absol’s forehead. Along with its black horn, which can sense changes through the air and sky, this black oval may also help Absol predict the near future. The third eye is a common religious and spiritual concept that is often associated with visions, clairvoyance, precognition, and the ability to sense energies. Another symbol present in Absol’s design through the positioning of its black horn and white hair is the Taijitu symbol, more commonly known as the “yin-yang” symbol. This symbol is well known for representing contrary forces and how they are interconnected. For Absol’s design this may refer to its good nature and sorrowful life.

In the main series games Absol are naturally found in locations where catastrophic events once occurred or will soon occur. In Sinnoh Absol are found on Mt. Coronet where Dialga and Palkia crossed into the Pokémon world and Giratina opened a breach into the Distortion world due to the actions of Team Galactic. In Unova Absol live in the cold surroundings of the Giant Chasm where Kyurem made impact and was later awakened by Team Plasma. And in Alola Absol live on and around Mt. Lanakila where Necrozma crashed after the events in Ultra Megalopolis and near Tapu Bulu's rampage through the Ula’Ula Thrifty Megamart.

In Generation VI Absol was one of the first Pokémon to receive a Mega Evolution. As Mega Absol this Pokemon white fur puffs out and wing like structure grow from it. Mega Absol can whip these wing like structures sending an intimidating aura at its foe whom may just expire if they are fainthearted. Because of this new power and their existing apprehension towards fighting Absol dislike taking this form. These new features give Mega Absol the appearance of a sphinx or an angel, both mythological figures that are known to bring word of the future. In battle Mega Absol are known for being quite fragile yet hard hitting and fast. They gain the ability Magic Bounce letting them redirect statuses and hazards back to the user which can be a pretty great tool when used effectively. Absol has a wide range of attacks available at its disposal including such favorites as Sucker Punch, Play Rough, and Superpower. Thanks to Mega Absol’s nice Special Attack boost this Pokémon can finally make good use of its Special movepool with great attacks like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam. Absol has come a long way from Generation III where its typing was very mismatched with its stat distribution.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
-Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
-How is this Pokémon in-game?
-How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
-How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
-What do you think about this Pokémon’s greater role in the Pokémon world and how often it is associated with Legendary Pokémon?
-What do you think of this Pokemon’s type and do you think it is a good fit for it?
-What would be your reaction to encountering an Absol in the wild?
If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thank you to @CynthiaLover and @Skalesgon for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

I love Absol because they learn moves of different types. Their expression in Amie is cute.

Hits hard but goes down quickly to strong attacks.

-How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Not into competitive battles.

-Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I like Astrid's Absol.

Warn people of disasters. Maybe be a companion.

-If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Nothing.

-What do you think about this Pokémon’s greater role in the Pokémon world and how often it is associated with Legendary Pokémon?
No comment.

-What do you think of this Pokemon’s type and do you think it is a good fit for it?
Dark is a good fit.

I have Supernova as my partner. So I will just watch the wild one.

Like. Nice design and concept.
A bit underwhelming and available late for my liking.
Swords Dance and sweep. It's good :)
Yeah. I particularly liked its role in the Jirachi movie.
People would be superstitious and be afraid it will bring disaster :( Some Trainers would find it cool and raise it, though.
Better stats. Not sure I should change the typing... and an exclusive Ability that makes it super good would not hurt.
It makes it a cooler Pokemon than it would be otherwise. I'm glad they treat it like this.
It most certainly is a good fit for it. I'm just not a fan of monotypes...
In-game I actually kinda like it. In GO, I wish it would exist; it's Raid-only :( IRL, I'd probably be afraid lol.

One of my favorite Gen 3 Pokemon, and one of my favorites overall, and DEFINITELY my favorite Mega Evolution....

I can't say I was surprised to discover him -- I knew about his stat spread and physical/special type dissonance even in Gen 3 (I made sure to teach him Shadow Ball over Crunch for this reason alone) but in a lucky break I was able to capitalize on his high physical Attack score to sweep 3 of 6 opposing Pokemon during my Hoenn Champion match in Emerald, with the remaining 3 being relatively easy to mop up between my team's staple Grass starter and resident Electric.

Absol's also a favorite from PMD, though he only appears in a prominent role in the first games of the series, and even then is basically a bystander you cross paths with. The ability to anticipate disasters has a lot of narrative potential, so I'd definitely like to see an Absol get a more prominent story role in a future PMD.

Absol is easily my favourite Hoenn Pokemon. Its design is sleek and elegant, and it has a good movepool with moves like Knock Off, Superpower, Stone Edge, Sucker Punch, and Play Rough and hits hard thanks to its sky-high Attack. Sadly it wasn't all that useful in its debut generation, since the physical/special split wasn't yet introduced and its Special Attack is significantly weaker. I used to dislike its Mega's design at first, but it eventually grew on me. I don't think it needs that many changes, actually.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom