• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #87: Dhelmise

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is none other than Dhelmise!

781Dhelmise.png

Dhelmise, the Sea Creeper Pokémon, is a Ghost/Grass-type Pokémon introduced in Generation VII. The Pokémon is comprised of a rusted nautical anchor coated in green algae and affixed to a ship’s wheel and compass, all arranged in such a way that Dhelmise resembles a spooky face with pointed teeth. Interestingly enough, Dhelmise owes its partial Grass typing to the fact that its true body is actually the seaweed itself! The shipwreck debris Dhelmise augments itself with not only makes it look cool, but strengthens Dhelmise as well, allowing it to knock out a Wailord - its favorite prey - with a single swing of its massive anchor.

According to Pokédex entries, Dhelmise tend to get along well with Skrelp and Dragalge, the poisonous Mock Kelp Pokémon introduced in Generation VI. Maybe they’re only fish pretending to be seaweed, but it’s apparently enough for Dhelmise to consider them ‘ohana. That’s despite Skrelp actually eating seaweed, and Dragalge’s acidic spit being known to corrode ships - but perhaps that’s how Dhelmise get their parts in the first place?

Dhelmise’s skill at wielding its anchor in combat manifests itself in the video games as both a signature move and signature ability. Dhelmise is the only known Pokémon capable of learning Anchor Shot, a Steel-type attack move that both damages the target and prevents them from switching out as long as the user remains in battle as well. Dhelmise’s signature ability is called Steelworker, and it boosts the power of its Steel-type moves by 50%. This is the same boost that moves receive for being used by a Pokémon that matches the move’s type, so Steelworker essentially grants Dhelmise triple Same-Type Attack Bonus for Steel moves in addition to its own types, without the inherent resistances or weaknesses of being Steel-typed itself. To bolster its offensive potential, Dhelmise boasts an Attack stat as hefty as its anchor, plus some coverage possibilities like Earthquake, Brick Break, and Rock Slide as TM moves. On top of all this, Dhelmise is to date the only Ghost-type that can learn Rapid Spin. This gives Dhelmise a sort of niche as a trap/hazard remover that can also prevent the opponent’s use of Rapid Spin with its immunity to Normal-type moves.

The Pokémon anime reached its absolute pinnacle when Dhelmise debuted during the fortieth episode of the Sun & Moon series, and the 979th episode overall. A wild Dhelmise was seen guarding its territory, a sunken ship in the waters of Alola, containing a Mystic Water sought after by one of Ash and friends’ companions for the episode, Kanoa. The Sea Creeper Pokémon was disturbed from its peace by the Team Rocket trio, who convinced it to go after Kanoa’s boat instead. Dhelmise put up a tremendous fight, and nearly even sank the ship by using a strong Whirlpool, which Team Rocket also managed to get caught in. However, Lana and her Popplio counteracted the Whirlpool and defeated Dhelmise by performing their newly mastered Hydro Vortex. While Kanoa successfully retrieved the Mystic Water, Dhelmise fortunately didn’t end the episode a loser, either; it was soon shown to be gleefully towing away Team Rocket’s abandoned submarine as a souvenir.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or really like this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Was Dhelmise’s type combination unexpected to you?
  • What do you think of Dhelmise getting an attack boost for a third type thanks to its ability? Should this concept be used for more Pokémon in the future?
  • How might Dhelmise’s relationship with Skrelp and Dragalge be represented in detail? Do you think any other Pokémon pairings (or potential ones) deserve more attention?

If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thank you to @Guzma and @Rainami for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

it is funny to think that, when its model was first leaked, it was one of my least favorite alolan pokemon. But after getting the opportunity to see better pictures of its design, it gradually grew on me -- the main turning point was when I noticed how the algae forms 'teeth' on the anchor. It just has so many cool things about it.

recently, the random number goddess blessed me with a shiny one in what was possibly the shortest lived shiny hunt of my career. His name is bloodbeard, and he is a pirate, or something.

tumblr_p3jxvlN0aa1whr4vko1_r1_500.gif

I like Dhelmise. Its concept is cool and it is the closest we have got to a Pokemon of three different types. I also love the fact it can learn Surf and has enough Special Attack to use it well, even if its Attack is higher. I don't really know if I'd like to change anything about it, as it seems fine the way it is.

Nice color and it looks like an anchor that would be used by pirates but I prefer Pokemon that have a face. I have never seen a Dhelmise ingame and I've only just seen pictures of it. I have not seen any of the Sun/Moon episodes so I can't say anything about its appearance in the anime. At first, I did not know what type Dhelmise is and I had to look it up on Bulbapedia. How might Dhelmise's relationship with Skrelp and Dragalge be represented in detail? Do you think any other Pokemon pairings deserve more attention? Now that this was mentioned, I find it interesting that Dhelmise and Dragalge would start a relationship with each other and breed together.

Object-based Pokemon aren't my cup of tea, and Dhelmise even looks more lifeless than most of them...But there's something with it that just works. It efficiently gives the vibe of a sunken ship, with its old helm and its gigantic anchor, and its strategicly placed weed. It looks cool and intriguing.

But its type was disappointing. I was expecting any combination of Water, Grass, Steel and Ghost but Grass/Ghost, he is the 6th mon in two generations to have that typing, and two very small generations.

In the games, he would have been a perfect Dive mon, but as dive was absent he was relegated to be only found by fishing on a certain spot. It made sense for it to be found there, because the Seafolk Village is a town of explorers, but...only 5% chance? Really? Acerola has one, so players will see its cool animations at least there.

In the anime, he got a predictable but solid role of guarding a sunken ship, I liked its interactions with Team Rocket.

Do you like or really like this Pokémon? Why?
Like. The way Steelworker makes it have 3 STAB types, plus Anchor Shot, makes it very interesting.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Available a bit late to be worth it, I'm afraid.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Haven't really tried it out, but Anchor Shot, 2 STAB moves and some other move should work.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I don't remember any anime representations, unfortunately.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Perhaps the seafolk would be afraid of it and associate it with legends.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats. Typing and Ability are fine, signature move too.
Was Dhelmise’s type combination unexpected to you?
A little, honestly. I was expecting Steel in there and was a bit bummed out to figure out it's Grass/Ghost just like Trevenant/Gourgeist. That said, Steelworker makes up for it; but it's still a somewhat overdone type combination in recent generations.
What do you think of Dhelmise getting an attack boost for a third type thanks to its ability? Should this concept be used for more Pokémon in the future?
I think it could fit a few Pokemon, but it shouldn't be overused as a concept.
How might Dhelmise’s relationship with Skrelp and Dragalge be represented in detail? Do you think any other Pokémon pairings (or potential ones) deserve more attention?
Perhaps it needs to be touched upon in the anime and future dex entries, perhaps an in-storyline mention like the Corsola/Toxapex one. I think the Carbink pairings with Sableye/Diancie should be focused on more.

Dhelmise, huh? I'll admit I always loved its design--takes a lot of creativity to turn a rusty anchor into a ghost. And my, the lore that must go into that is just spooky. Grass comes from its seaweed which makes sense, and the Steel move it learns is a wonder in of itself.

But that said I do quite hate it. Not the mon itself, but the crap availability at No Poni There Island. When anyone else can grab a Rowlet and say "GG son," it's just... the incentive isn't there. Aerodactyl suffers similarly from this, so shame on him, too.

I think I'll weigh Anchor and give my thoughts about Dhelmise( :'v) . It is a rather cool Pokémon Imo I wanted to use it in my moon version and despite being such a late edition it was quite useful. Having STAB to three types is quite interesting and it makes sense for it. There are quite a few changes i would like to see on it though. Like giving it some more bulk by subtraction a bit of it's Special attack and speed. Maybe even a few more points into attack and maybe give it an option to have one or two more abilities and not just one.. It does have a bit of a niche in Trick room despite being overshadowed by quite a few other Pokémon outside of TR and just in general.. Assault Vest also works but it has a bit of the 4 move Syndrome with its access of usable moves. It's Grass typing doesn't really help that much tbh. It kinda looks like it should have gotten Leaf Blade as well imo.. But the overall design doesn't let it sink down like it did in the Meta for me. It just stays afloat :p
(ok I'll stop with the puns :'v)

Still would like to recommend Ribombee/Cutiefly for one :'v

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom