• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #89: Venipede, Whirlipede and Scolipede

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice are Venipede, Whirlipede, and Scolipede!

240px-543Venipede.png

240px-544Whirlipede.png

240px-545Scolipede.png

Venipede and its evolved forms are Bug/Poison-type Pokémon introduced in Generation V, having drawn inspiration from various arthropods, mainly centipedes and millipedes. In the Unova region, Venipede filled the traditional role of early-game, three-stage Bug Pokémon, alongside Sewaddle. Experienced trainers will take these Pokémon’s bright magenta or purple coloration and flashy markings as a warning sign, as even in their basic form, Venipede are considered dangerous for their venomous bites. When Venipede evolves into Whirlipede at level 22, it’s rolled up inside its round shell, much like the defense mechanism of real-life pill millipedes, only this form functions as a pupa stage of sorts while Whirlipede prepares to evolve further. Unlike previously introduced pupa Pokémon such as the famously immobile Metapod, however, Whirlipede can fend for itself just fine in its curled-up state; it can attack by rotating itself like a tire and stabbing enemies with its venomous protrusions. Finally, when Whirlipede is ready to evolve at level 30, it unfurls into a massive, multi-legged Scolipede, the tallest Bug-type Pokémon at just over eight feet! Scolipede can ruthlessly attack foes with its giant horns, as well as grip them and inject venom using the small claws running up its long neck.

In the video games, Scolipede has good potential as a speedy physical attacker. While it has access to X-Scissor and Poison Jab as physical STAB attacks, it can run Megahorn over X-Scissor, trading off accuracy for higher base power. Scolipede also has great coverage options in Earthquake and Aqua Tail, and Swords Dance as a popular status move for setting up Attack boosts. Because Scolipede is somewhat lacking in bulk, switching in to Stealth Rock can present a serious issue to this Pokémon. It also helps to run it with its hidden ability, Speed Boost, so that it has a greater chance to hit before the enemy. It should be noted that in Generation V, the Venipede line had the more situational Quick Feet as its hidden ability; however, transferring a Quick Feet Venipede, Whirlipede, or Scolipede into a later game will change its ability to Speed Boost.

In the anime, Venipede made a notable appearance in the episode A Venipede Stampede! in which incredible numbers of the Centipede Pokémon were swarming throughout Castelia City. Several trainers had been tasked by the mayor of Castelia City to drive the group of Venipede away by force, but thanks largely to the city’s own Gym Leader, Burgh, it was demonstrated that the Venipede could be dealt with gently instead. Burgh was later revealed to have a Whirlipede of his own during his battle against Ash; despite having the type advantage, however, Whirlipede ultimately lost to Ash’s newly evolved Swadloon. Perhaps had Bug-type expert Burgh simply had Whirlipede keep spamming Steamroller over trying Solar Beam, the outcome might’ve been different? Some time after that, a Scolipede appeared under the ownership of another Unovan Gym Leader: namely, Roxie of Virbank City Gym. This time around, Scolipede appropriately defeated Ash’s now fully-evolved Leavanny, but subsequently lost to Pignite’s literal firepower. Additionally, aggressive wild Scolipede have been seen as obstacles to Ash and his companions from time to time, much like the purpose Beedrill swarms often serve outside of the Unova region.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation Steamrolling like a Whirlipede. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.

◦ Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
◦ How is this Pokémon in-game?
◦ How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
◦ Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
◦ How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
◦ If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
◦ How do Venipede and its evolutions compare to other Bug/Poison-types?
◦ Should any other Pokémon have their abilities updated? If so, which ones?

If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thanks to @PinkIceFox for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

I dislike them because they are bugs and alot of bug Pokemon I do not like. I have only battled Whirlipede in the Castelia Gym used by Burgh. On one battle, I attempted to battle Whirlipede with my Pidove being four levels under Whirlipede and I couldn't beat him and I ended up having to evolve Pidove into Tranquill in order for me to defeat Whirlipede. I don't remember Burgh using Whirlipede in the anime. I had to look up the episode if Burgh used Whirlipede and he indeed used Whirlipede. How do I compare Venipede and its evolutions to other bug type? They are ugly and creepy looking. Only bug Pokemon I like are butterfly looking Pokemon and Pokemon that evolve into butterflies.

They are among my favorite bug families. While I hate small bugs like Venipede in real life, he looks very cute and huggable, and his seriousness just makes him even more cuter. Scolipede could look more intimidating, but he still looks badass and very big and dangerous, I would ride one without a doubt. Whirlipede is meh, he looks tougher than other cocoons and he has the ability to roll around, but he is boring.

In the anime, Scolipede has being shown as a dangerous Pokemon who lives in forests alongside Beedrill and Ursaring, while Venipede and Whirlipede have not appeared much just like most Unova Pokemon.

In the games, I had one in early W2, but she was replaced by Leavanny because I really liked his types.

This is a really great Pokémon line Gen 5 broke with the tradition of the early route bugs having terrible stats and movepools, so the Venipede line is not only a good Pokémon for in-game teams but it is also quite viable in competitive battling. When I use Scolipede for battling I tend to go for the Speed Boost nature, and an offensive moveset, with Spikes or Toxic Spikes for setting up hazards. Opponents are often caught off guard by how fast this Pokémon actually is.

This Pokémon would be very intimidating in the real world, not only because it's so massive, but it's also extremely venomous and very aggressive. I imagine that it would easily be at the top of the food chain in any forests that it inhabited. One of those Pokémon that would exemplify why going into the tall grass and forests without your own Pokémon is a fool's errand.

I suggest Bronzor/Bronzong for the next Pokémon of the Week.

Like. It's better than your usual Bug-type, it's got a nice design, a solid option paritcularly in Gen 5 where the lack of old Pokemon makes it stand out more.

Pretty good, for a Bug-type. Personally I'd rather use something else, however.

◦ How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
It's got Speed Boost, enough said :)

◦ Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Don't remember any appearance of it unfortunately :(

Some people would be afraid of it like with all bugs, particularly poisonous ones. Others would find it cool.

◦ If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats, more focused on Attack/Speed. Typing and Ability are fine.

I'd say it is better than your average Bug/Poison-type, although Beedrill might stand out more ever since it got Mega.

Several should, it would just make them way better. Can't think of particular cases, however.

One of the best Bug lines, I loved it from the moment it leaked, and used one on my first Black team. It was impressive to me how it busted through the game with Megahorn, since before Gen V Bug-types weren't known for being powerhouses, outside of a few like Scizor and Heracross. Design is neat, its colour scheme is a huge draw for me (and its shiny is good too), and I like that it goes grand in its last stage, it's just this impressive, huge 8 foot centipede-millipede combo. Game Freak gifting it Speed Boost was a big surprise, and they even buffed its Atk by 10 at the same time, and it turned it into one of the best Bugs in single battles.

On an unrelated note, it's interesting that something like Scolipede, which wasn't even bad to begin with, was given such huge buffs, yet we have so many Pokemon that are worse than Scolipede ever was that just aren't buffed in a similar way, or if they are they just gave them +10 in a stat and left it at that when it's not enough. Drizzle Pelipper was a pretty big one though, I guess.

Should any other Pokémon have their abilities updated? If so, which ones?

There's lots of Pokemon I'd like to see get abilities replaced or added, but specifically "updated" I'm not sure. Stunfisk is one I can think of, why does it still have Limber when they made Electric types immune to paralysis back at the start of Gen 6 nearly 5 years ago? Giving it something like Electric Terrain or Water Absorb would be pretty good for it. Electric Terrain would be interesting since it's a Ground type, so powering up your opponent's Electric moves doesn't really matter to it outside of Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos. Water Absorb so it can function at an Electric type's job - scaring Water types - and also give it a bit of healing since it lacks a healing move. Plus whenever we find it it's in water, and yet it's weak to Water.

Scolipede is one of my favorite Bug-types, and it's from a generation that was full of excellent Bug-types (and excellent Pokemon in general). It's badass-looking and cute at the same time.
Scolipede is a wrecking ball, even in Gen V before it got blessed with Speed Boost and a buff to its Attack.
Scolipede is probably the biggest powerhouse on my Bug team. I run Speed Boost with Protect to guarantee a free boost, and then just demolish enemies with Life Orb-boosted attacks.
I don't watch the anime.
I think it would probably be a top predator in its environment, honestly.
I'd buff its physical defense a bit.
There's no comparison; the Venipede line is by far the best Bug/Poison-type, and one of the best Bug-types in general. Design-wise and battle-wise, they're leagues beyond the others.
I personally feel it would be great if Volcarona's HA was changed from boring old Swarm into Flash Fire.

Yeah, I thought scolipede was cool too. I used one in a white play through I did called Sonick and it was quite decent. I don’t recall any instances of it in the anime unfortunately.

Scolipede is cool-looking, but I don't like its pre-evolved forms very much (I do like Whirlipede's cry, though). Getting Speed Boost was a blessing, since Quick Feet is next to useless on it (it can't be poisoned, unless the opponent has Corrosion, burn cripples it completely, and paralysis makes it risk missing turns). It is my favourite Bug/Poison type by far, with high Speed and Attack and moves like Megahorn, Poison Jab, Rock Slide, Superpower, Aqua Tail, Pursuit and Throat Chop. I don't think it really needs any changes.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom