• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #91: Fennekin, Braixen, and Delphox

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice are Fennekin, Braixen, and Delphox!

240px-653Fennekin.png

240px-654Braixen.png

20131029114742%21655Delphox.png

Fennekin, the Fire-type Fox Pokémon, is one of the three starter Pokémon that new trainers in the Kalos region can choose from to start their journey with, the other options being Chespin and Froakie. Being a Kalos starter Pokémon, Fennekin was introduced in Gen VI, and its physical traits heavily draw inspiration from fennec foxes. Perhaps the most notable of these features are Fennekin’s large, tufted ears, which help Fennekin to vent excess body heat. Of course, being a Fire-type Pokémon, its temperature reaches heights that would be considered extreme for any real foxes - the air Fennekin expels measures over 390 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the Pokédex. To fuel its internal flame, Fennekin delights in snacking on crunchy twigs.
Upon reaching level 16, Fennekin can evolve into its middle form, Braixen. As a Braixen, it stands up straight on two legs and keeps a branch in its tail, which Braixen can pull out and instantly ignite like a torch due to friction against Braixen’s own tail fur. Braixen can then perform its Fire attacks in battle, using the stick not unlike a wand. When stuck back in Braixen’s fluffy tail, the branch also resembles a broomstick somewhat. Due to having these mage-like characteristics, as well as being able to learn many Psychic moves (even as a Fennekin) and having Magician as a hidden ability, it is likely that the Fennekin line also has basis in kitsune, magical, fire-breathing foxes of Japanese folklore.
The sorcery motif only grows stronger once Braixen evolves again into Delphox at level 36. In its fully evolved form, Delphox’s long fur gives it the appearance of wearing a magician’s robe. Befitting of its magical nature, Delphox has gained Psychic as a secondary type, in addition to Fire. Delphox’s powers include conjuring strong vortexes of fire, as well as being able to see into the future by focusing intently on its branch’s flame. Delphox’s typing also creates an interesting “double triangle” with the other two fully evolved Kalos starters, as its Psychic half gives Delphox another advantage over the Grass/Fighting type Chesnaught, but another disadvantage against the Water/Dark-type Greninja.

This Pokémon made its anime debut in the third episode of the XY series, appearing as a Fennekin available to be chosen as a starter in Professor Sycamore’s lab. The Fennekin was chosen by Serena in the following episode, and has been a reliable partner to her since. Serena’s Fennekin looked up to her trainer and would imitate Serena at times, and even overcame her aversion to getting dirty for the sake of defending Serena from Team Rocket. Besides being fiery in battle, Serena’s Fennekin also performed in the Pokémon Showcases her trainer would enter throughout their Kalos journey. At first unable to win a Princess Key in a Showcase, Serena and her Fennekin were engaged in a double battle by rival performer and holder of the Kalos Queen title, Aria. Aria used her Delphox, which had been shown to evolve from her own Fennekin over the course of the series, along with Aromatisse against Serena’s Fennekin and Pancham. It was during this battle that Serena’s Fennekin found the strength to evolve into Braixen. Despite the battle not reaching a proper conclusion, this gave Serena and Braixen the confidence boost they needed to go on and earn Serena her three Princess Keys needed to advance to a Master Class Showcase. Still, their adventure did not go without complications. Braixen was shown to be incredibly attached to her branch, and was downright heartbroken once it had been accidentally snapped in half during training. Though Braixen’s original branch could not be restored, she was able to move on with a new branch when she and her trainer renewed their promise to someday earn the Kalos Queen title over the new one, even decorating the branch with a cute bow. The two also promised to revisit the old branch, which had been grafted onto a growing sapling, once this day came.

In the video games, Delphox’s main strengths are its Special stats and Speed. It can wield powerful STAB moves such as Heat Wave, Fire Blast and Psychic, and has access to some coverage options like Grass Knot, Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam, as well as Calm Mind to boost its Special stats by one stage each. Delphox’s former signature move, Mystical Fire (now also learned by the witchy Mismagius), doesn’t have as high base power as some of Delphox’s other Fire moves, though it’s guaranteed to lower the target’s Special Attack. However, Delphox is threatened by opponents’ tactics such as Stealth Rock, Pursuit, and Sucker Punch. A possible counter to Sucker Punch users is to run Delphox with Psychic Terrain, disabling priority moves (while also boosting Psychic attacks). Delphox’s hidden ability, Magician, allows it to steal a target’s item upon attacking if it’s not already holding one, but Delphox can also Skill Swap this ability onto an enemy to remove their more useful ability as an interesting tactic.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.

◦ Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
◦ How is this Pokémon in-game?
◦ How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
◦ Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
◦ How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
◦ If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
◦ Are there too many kitsune-inspired Pokémon now? Or can there never be enough?
◦ Who’s a cute widdle Fennekin? Who‘s a cute widdle foxy-woxy??

Thanks to @Max1996 for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

◦ Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Like. It's a starter, it's been Serena's partner, Fire/Psychic is interesting.
◦ How is this Pokémon in-game?
OK enough. Personally I would rather use Chespin or Froakie, however.
◦ How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Haven't tried it in competitive.
◦ Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Both Serena's Braixen and Aria's Delphox were great.
◦ How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Being a starter, lots of people would love it.
◦ If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats and Hidden Ability, less Attack, perhaps a Mega Evolution or special Z-Move.
◦ Are there too many kitsune-inspired Pokémon now? Or can there never be enough?
I don't mind.
◦ Who’s a cute widdle Fennekin? Who‘s a cute widdle foxy-woxy??
A foxy-woxy nicknamed Roxy :p

They're foxes, so I love them. They are also the first to break the trend of Fire/Fighting-types three generations in a row, so they deserve a lot of love for that. In-game, I would imagine them to be rather useful from beginning to end thanks to their typing and great stats. I never started with Fennekin (my starters were Chespin and Froakie in two different games), but only because there was never a third version of this game to come out, but judging their stats, the line looks like it wouldn't be any problem to use in-game. Delphox looks like she can be used competitively. The stats and movepool are pretty good but she is always overshadowed by Greninja. Who says you cannot use both at the same time? =D

I didn't watch too much of the X and Y series, but watching the line in action when I did catch the show, they were very cute. I loved who they had do their voices and they had charm and personality. Serena's was a nice addition to the show. I always saw her as using Fennekin as her starter and it didn't surprise me they had her start with one.

I'd imagine this line to be peaceful in the real world, but dangerous if provoked- especially Delphox. I wouldn't underestimate her pre-evolutions, either, considering you'd be playing with fire.

If I could change anything, I'd give it a better Hidden Ability. The ever-present Blaze was never too useful and Magician isn't all that great, either.

There can never be enough Kitsune-inspired Pokemon.

I want to make a "What does the fox say?" joke but I'd rather not relive 2013.

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Perish the thought! Braixen was basically my favorite Pokemon in Gen VI and is kind of competing for my favorite Pokemon of all time slot, honestly. I became quite attached to it because its appearance and nature related to me and my personality a lot, in my opinion, and I used it to represent myself for quite sometime. (As a Pokesona) And am still contemplating continuing to use it, due to my deep connection with it. Also, its cry is adorable and it is just glorious in Pokemon Amie. I wish she were real so I could give her a hug. ;~;

Braixen's design is just also insanely clever to me. I love how not only does its tail resemble a broomstick, but it pulls the stick out of its tail to use as a wand.

Though I'm not really as fond of Delphox, to be honest. I think the issue with it is its model. The artwork gives it a really nice, graceful appearance, but its model makes it look like this lumbering mass of triangles. It's sad that it probably won't be redone. It also kind of loses the creativity of Braixen by just having its wand in its sleeve.

Also, I don't really care too much for Fennekin. It's cute and all, but it doesn't really catch my attention as much as Vulpix, because its proportions are too generic and cartoony to me.

How is this Pokémon in-game?
Delphox was pretty amazing, with a nice variety of moves. (Shadow Ball, Psychic, Grass Knot, Flamethrower. That was my setup.) Braixen I tried to use as my main starter in another playthrough and not evolving it, but it sadly couldn't hold on too well. Thankfully, it made a decent tank with Eviolite and Wish bred onto it.

How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
I can totally see Braixen becoming an idol in Japan. Fennekin would probably be a popular pet, and Delphox would be used in more spiritual circles.

If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Make Delphox's design a little sleeker and graceful, and definitely change its 3D model to represent it better. And probably make its ear hair more like Braixen's - flowy and less of a... gigantic clump that sort of explodes out.

And I'd like to see its stick kept behind its ear instead of in its sleeve. I think it would help give it more of that personality and flavor that Braixen had.

Are there too many kitsune-inspired Pokémon now? Or can there never be enough?
There can never be enough. I love foxy graceful Pokemon.

Who’s a cute widdle Fennekin? Who‘s a cute widdle foxy-woxy??
Sorry Fennekin, but Braixen's way cuter.

Last edited:
Fennekin and Braixen are sleek and elegant, but Delphox is just really disappointing to me. Its cry is grating, its ear fur looks ridiculous, and its colour scheme hurts my eyes. It is a shame its design is so awkward, since Delphox is pretty fast ad has a good Special Atttack and a decent movepool with moves like Psyshock, Flamethrower, Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball, Grass Knot, and Shock Wave. Then again, I don't like the fully evolved Fire starters in general, excluding Charizard (and by now, I like its Megas better) and Typhlosion. I think the fire starter in Generation VIII should remain quadruped even when fully evolved, since even quadruped Pokemon can have good movepools (Absol is a good example).

Fennekin has one of the best starter designs in the series, to me. In fact, the entire Kalos trio, in their initial forms at least, feels equal to each other (whereas in most generations I usually have just one clear favorite).

Braixen ... egh, talk about an upset. The shift from a quadrupedal fox to a bipedal stance (and Braixen's ambiguously feminine design, i.e. the "skirt") was awkward. But it wasn't as bad as that shift from Torracat to Incineroar, and Delphox's design was the logical conclusion (even redemption) of it. Plus, Braixen is a (no pun intended) blast to play in Pokken.

In battle, Fire types have traditionally hit hard and the Fennekin line is no exception, with Braixen showing a clear shift from basic physical attacks to a special-based movepool. Fennekin's stick-twirling animation leads into Ember amazingly well, and Delphox has a signature animation for its exclusive Mystical Fire. Unfortunately, Delphox's other animations are ... lacking. The very static idle pose just doesn't do the design any justice.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom