• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #99: Stunfisk

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary lines and talking about what makes it special. This week's Pokémon of choice is Stunfisk, the Trap Pokémon!

20130824172330%21618Stunfisk.png

Stunfisk is a flat, fishlike Pokémon, with big, round eyes and a stubby beak on the top surface of its body. The sole Ground/Electric-type Pokémon, a Stunfisk conceals itself in mud and waits for unsuspecting victims to step on it, then delivers its prey a stunning electric shock. Due to its design and behaviors, Stunfisk seems to draw inspiration from a number of different real-life fish, such as flounders, dabs, electric rays and stargazers. Stunfisk are incredibly tough, able to withstand the weight of even a sumo wrestler standing on them. Yet, Stunfisk are very flexible, too! Should one encounter a foe in the wild it cannot paralyze, Stunfisk will expertly flop away with its bendable body. Stunfisk can lead an amphibious lifestyle, as they dwell both underwater and on the shore. But what is Stunfisk’s greatest weapon? Maybe, just maybe, it is Stunfisk’s devilish good looks.

The most notable member of this marvelous Pokémon species featured in the anime was caught by Ash Ketchum’s Unova traveling companion, Cilan, while the Trap Pokémon in question was attempting to aid a Palpitoad in keeping Ash out of a lake. Since then, Stunfisk has proven to be a reliable teammate for Cilan throughout his Unova travels, doing its best in trainer battles, absorbing Electric attacks for its allies, and even helping face off against the legendary Forces of Nature. Along the way, Cilan learned more fascinating things about Stunfisk, such as its ability to glide through the air while flapping its fins, or that the electricity Stunfisk produces tastes undesirable to Rotom.

In the video games, Stunfisk has middling stats overall, its highest one being HP. Stunfisk has better defensive than offensive stats, leaning towards the Special side in both cases, as well as very low Speed. A trainer might wish to have Stunfisk pester opponents with status moves like Stealth Rock, Toxic, or even Yawn, staying alive with its (relative) bulk. Stunfisk has some good Special STAB options in Discharge, Thunderbolt and Earth Power, as well as different Poison and Water coverage moves to try, such as Muddy Water, Surf, Scald, Sludge Bomb, or Sludge Wave. As for abilities, Stunfisk may have Static, which has a chance to paralyze enemies that make contact with the Trap Pokémon, or Limber, which prevents Stunfisk from being paralyzed; however, the latter effect is a benefit which Stunfisk’s Electric typing already provides. But just think about what would happen if a foe comes at your Stunfisk with a combo of Soak and Thunder Wave or—okay, Limber’s a mostly useless option for Stunfisk. Alternatively, Stunfisk may be used with its hidden ability, Sand Veil, which boosts its evasiveness in a Sandstorm. Oh, and here’s another mostly useless but interesting fact: Stunfisk can become one of the only Pokémon (situationally) immune to both of its own types if it is given an Air Balloon or uses Magnet Rise.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.

◦ Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
◦ How is this Pokémon in-game?
◦ How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
◦ Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
◦ How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
◦ If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
◦ What would you do if you had the amazing powers of a Stunfisk?

If you have any suggestions for Pokémon you'd like to discuss in the future just leave your ideas at the bottom of your post. Make sure you give your thoughts about the current Pokémon first!

Thanks to @Rainami for suggesting this Pokémon of the Week!

Previous Pokémon of the Week:

◦ Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
I had a rather embarrassing experience with this species that nearly doomed it to my "outright hate" group. While it was a Stunfisk's Fissure which ended my longest Battle Maison streak, it wouldn't be fair to begin utterly despising it when I allowed that disaster to happen by Mega Evolving my Gengar.
Ultimately I let it off the hook. Stunfisk ought to consider itself very lucky as I still hold a grudge towards Porygon2 for that time in Destiny Tower floor 84 during Explorers of Sky.

I suppose it could be useful as a complete stop to opposing Electric Pokémon with its unique type combination.

◦ How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
You don't need any strategy, your opponent may run out of time from laughing so much.

◦ Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
Cilan's Stunfisk was alright but I really wanted to see it team up with Ash's Palpitoad like they did when wild. An episode at Tubeline Bridge where Ash and Cilan use them in a rematch with the Subway Bosses would have been amazing.

◦ How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Probably as a pest in marshlands or any area with lots of rainfall.

◦ If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Maybe some boosts for its three defensive stats, mostly to take better advantage of Static. Stockpile would be interesting on top of Swallow or a more standard recovery move such as Recover or Slack Off. Alternatively, there's Amnesia for looking a bit dopey and Acid Armor for how it might hide in a puddle of water.

◦ What would you do if you had the amazing powers of a Stunfisk?
I'd never fail to get a date with those shockingly good looks.

I like Stunfisk, one of the many gen V Pokémon I really favor though I haven't used one in battle yet. Just recently I caught a shiny Stunfisk in Ultra Sun, it's one of the very few shiny colorings I actually like! The only thing about it I don't like as much though is it's cry in-game (it's not the worst at least), but that doesn't stop me from still having it in my favorites list.

Stunfisk is adorable and my second favourite Electric type from Unova (my favourite one is Galvantula). I like its typing and the fact it is loosely based on a whoopee cushion. Its movepool is decent, too, with moves like Thunderbolt, Earth Power, Surf, Sludge Bomb, and support moves like Yawn and Thunder Wave. Sadly its abilities leave much to be desired - Static is alright, but Sand Veil is situational at best and Limber is pretty much useless from Generation VI on. I think an ability change might benefit it, even though Limber makes sense on it.

stunfisk is...

immune to electric and does infinite damage from "why is this person using a stunfisk <laughs forever>"

Stunfisk's design quality depends on how it's seen. As a flounder, it's meh, as its bizarre face design is transformed into something more normal, but as an electric trap it's fine. It looks flat enough to be stepped on by unaware people, and its ! is a nice touch. It shows its polar-opposites type combination very well, and it doesn't look like it needs a Water-type.

In the anime, its role was far from the best. He didn't had much of a personality nor its trap motif was used in a memorable way. The more memorable things about it was how its ugliness contrasted with Cilan's fair look and his ability to fly.

I've only used it once in game, but I recall it carrying its weight, what with its good offensive typing and bulk. Being able to use healing items helps make up for its lack of recovery moves.

stunfisk is somewhat underrated, especially in the bulk area -- its overall bulk is easily among the best in the game. A defensive stealth rock set is probably the most useful, but I enjoy using an assault vest set with discharge, earth power, scald, and either sludge bomb or fissure.

give it slightly higher special attack, a recovery move (either slack off or shore up), and replace either limber or sand veil with another ability -- perhaps regenerator, prankster or arena trap

Stunfisk is one of those Pokemon that makes me laugh every time I see it, and i mean that in the best possible way. I admit, back when I was in my "POKEMON HAVE TO BE BADASS-LOOKING" stage, I thought it was pretty stupid-looking. Then I encountered it in-game when I played White, and it grinned that trollish grin, and I suddenly awoke to the fact that any type of Pokemon design can be good, even - no, especially Derpmons.
laughing stunfisk.gif

Bless you for opening my eyes, you wonderfully derpy little troll.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom