• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon of the Week: Diggersby

Codface

Reaction score
Now most peoples first and likely still current view on Bunnelby was when they encounted one on route 22 and one shot it thus instantly dismissing it as this generations lame Buneary clone. To an extend they would be correct as on a regular playthrough it is less than useless. This topic aims to shatter than myth and show you why Diggersby is one of most underated pokemon of them all. There is a reason its BL for lower tiers and only allowed in OU and above as it completely overpowers a vast array of the game (this makes it a great choice for battle mansion).

Set 1: Choice Scarf
Firstly when you think of Huge Power most would instantly think Azumarill or Mega Mawile. Diggersby gets Huge power too as its ability and unlikely the other two is not slug paced thus required to go bulky.

252 Atk 252 Spd 4 hp* (or def whatever you don't really want to take a shot anyway)
Choice Scarf
Adamant (Huge Power)
U Turn
Return (Stab)
Earthquake (Stab)
Wild Charge

When scarfed Diggersby sits nice at a level where it will outspeed +speed natured pokemon up to 124 speed (that is above Noivern and Greninja). Not only that it will likely one shot most of them too with its stupidly high power and brilliant 2x 100+ damage stab moves and great overall coverage (Greninja *dead* on a U-turn), Thunderus *dead* by return, Terrakion *dead* by earthquake). As scarf pokemon go it is second only to Garchomp and is a great check for boosted Aegilash, is not 4x ice weak, U-turn switching and does not cry at fairies.

Weakness wise it just about loses the speed battle to a dragon danced Dragonite plus a couple of other DDers unlike Garchomp and like anything scarfed can get locked into a move which would allow others to switch in a flier or ghost safely.

Set 2: Huge Power Sweeping (gotta have me some mega boosting!)
The one thing people love to do more than anything is to mega boost and blow away an opponent with a boosted pokemon. Diggersby can do this.

252 Atk 252 Spd 4 hp* (or def whatever you don't really want to take a shot anyway)
Life Orb
Adamant (Huge Power)
Quick Attack / Agility
Sword Dance
Earthquake
Return / Wild Charge

Stab priority on a sword dance Huge Power pokemon is the thing of beauty. Much like how Mega Pinsir / Terrakion made quick cool again Diggersby does the same thing. Set up SD and proceed to blow away faster threats with quick attack and outspeed bulky pokemon to smack them with something more hurtful. Alternately to quick attack go for the SD / Agility double and switch in on a none threat and go for the grand slam of boosts. Game over if its pulled off. Wild charge is for coverage (Steel fliers/Gengar) or Return for overall killing.

Please note that the IV distribution and moves used are very similar on both sets so you really don't need to breed two if you want to try both sets :D.

Other ideas you may consider are going with a choice band for extra power for a priority revenge killer or removing a few speed ivs in exchange for bulk on agility sets.

Is this poke of the week thing something you are going to do every week now?

I mean the point of Diggersby is to be unpredictable but I'd rather go with an M-Medicham or a Banded Azumarill. I'd rather have 2 STAB types that can be SE against something than 2 that plenty of Pokemon have immunities to. I mean Air Balloon Aegislash destroys both sets of Diggersby with ease. Poor stats of 85 / 56 / 77 / 50 / 77 / 78 don't help one bit. Even with Huge Power I don't see Diggersby doing much. I'd rather run it as a Pickup slave in-game.

Point of Scarf Diggersby is not to be a snail slow mon that hits hard with one priority move (like the ones you mentioned). With Scarfed speed it can outrun Greninja and the jolly/timid top tier threats and has coverage to kill them all or U-turn switch to maintain momentum and works great along side rotom-w and other volt switchers. As for Air balloon Aegilash that item is not going to last through setting up and anyway U-turn spam happily gets rid of it while escaping to a ghost/fairy team mate etc and then returning to finish the job.

Ive seen Diggersby do some work and it is a threat. My regret is not having one for myself. While its true Aegislash can pose a threat to him, a little skillful prediction can turn that around. Diggersby can easily switch into Aegislash to dodge the Shadow Ball or Sneak and U-Turn his balloon away only to return with this.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 446-528 (137.6 - 162.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Locked into Wild Charge? No problem.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 329-388 (101.5 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And with the popularity of Aegislashs mixed attacking set increasing, if by chance lets say he does attack. A non-Attack nature only gives him a 18% chance to KO without boosts of any sort. An Attack-oriented nature without boosts still doesn't guarantee a 100% OHKO with Sacred Sword. And I stress "without boosts" because Swords Dance is getting less common and if he is holding an Air Balloon, there's no Life Orb guarantee to OHKO Diggersby.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom