• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon of the Week (POTW)

Article #27-A Tale Of Two Meowstics
Greetings trainers! This week, I am in Lumiose City, Kalos, the largest city in the world, here to celebrate Opposite Day. What Pokemon am I here to collect? Espurr. What makes Espurr perfect for Opposite Day? Simple. Espurr’s evolution, Meowstic, comes with 2 vastly different looks, depending on the gender. Male Meowstic is majority blue with white features, while Female Meowstic is majority white with blue features. Meowstic is unique in that, while the stats are the same for both of them, the learned moves are different. Male Meowstic have mostly Status moves that makes it defensive and Female Meowstic have mostly Special moves that make it offensive.

This week, I am traveling with Pikachu, Gengar, Togetic, and Chansey. Because Espurr is drawn to psychic energy, Gengar is going to be the radiator of psychic power, and due to their lower level when they are found, Togetic is going to be used to actually capture the two feline Pokemon. Pushing southwest from Lumiose City to Route 5, through Camphrier Town, I eventually sit at the crossroads outside the town. The only place to be able to get Espurr in Kalos is in the grassy area around Parfum Palace, I have to travel west, and then north through Route 6, ending at the palace.
30623008756d4974fe6d8a27bd0b2535b0900b03r1-391-500v2_uhq.jpg

Wow, this grass is TALL! I send out Pikachu, which lifts its tail, using it as a flag. Gengar released his psychic energy, which started attracting Espurrs, both male and female. I notice two Espurrs standing there as the others depart, psychic energy swirling around them. Scanning them to make sure they are the two different genders, I send out Togetic to catch them. Upon their captures, I can put down the stats for Espurr. Unlike their evolutions, there is no change in their stats if they are Espurr. I am going to make a table that will demonstrate the differences between the two Meowstics, which start to diverge at Level 28, come back together at Level 40, come together again at Level 43 and 48, before ending shortly thereafter, showing some similarities, even in their differences. Areas in bold are points of convergence. There are many Pokemon that have counterparts, but only the Meowstics demonstrate clearly that, even though they start from the same place, two Pokemon can go in wildly different directions.
Hope you have a great Opposite Day! This is Travelin’ Dan, signing off for the week.
meowstic-male.jpg

678_f2.png

Here is the Reference Table:
StatsEspurrMeowstic (Male)Meowstic (Moveset)Meowstic (Female)Meowstic (Moveset)
HP6274Charm (Lv. 28)74Charge Beam (Lv. 28)
Attack4848Miracle Eye (Lv. 31)48Shadow Ball (Lv. 31)
Defense5476Reflect (Lv. 35)76Extrasensory (Lv. 35)
Special Attack6383Psychic (Lv. 40)83Psychic (Lv. 40)
Special Defense6081Role Play (Lv. 43)81Role Play (Lv. 43)
Speed68104Imprison (Lv.45)104Signal Beam (Lv. 45)
Sucker Punch (Lv. 48)Sucker Punch (Lv. 48)
Misty Terrain (Lv. 50)Future Sight (Lv. 50)
Quick Guard (Lv. 53)Stored Power (Lv. 53)

POTW:Gameplayers (Issue #4)
Welcome to Gameplayers! My name is Unovia, and it is nice to have you here. This weeks subjects are Espurr and Meowstic. Both of these Pokemon first appeared in Pokemon X and Y. Espurr can be found on Route 6 in those games, while Meowstic cannot be found wild in X and Y. Their next appearance is in Pokemon Sword and Shield. Espurr is found on Route 5 and in several locations in the Wild Area, one of which, Stony Wilderness, is a Max Raid Battle. The gender of Meowstic depends on the game, with Male Meowstic available in Sword and Female Meowstic available in Shield. In their respective games, they can be found on Route 7 and in three sections of the Wild Area, with Stony Wilderness being a Max Raid Battle regardless of Gender.

In the Cards, both Espurr and Meowstic both debuted in the Flashfire Expansion. Espurr has had 7 different cards. Meowstic has had 8 different cards. Notably, the cards would have alternating Meowstics, with one featuring in one card, and the next card featuring the other one. That is a unique and different presentation of the Pokemon, and they look really cute! See you next week!

POTW:Shows & Reads (Issue #4)
Welcome to Shows & Reads! We are looking at Espurr and Meowstic in the anime and in the manga. Espurr had its’ major appearance in XY14, where it lived in a mansion that belonged to its owner, Lacy, an older woman who got sick, was hospitalized, and died, all without Espurr knowing. Years later, Lacy’s granddaughter, Elise, came to the mansion, planning to tear it down. After meeting Espurr, she decided to renovate it, taking care of it.

Meowstic had several different appearances, but its most significant occasion was under the ownership of Olympia, the Anistar City Gym Leader, where they both appeared during Ash’s Gym Battle. They were a tricky duo, but were eventually defeated. They made occasional returns with her, especially during the Zygarde Crisis.

In the Manga, Espurr appeared in a few background occasions, while only the female Meowstic shows up with Olympia and the male one shows up with a random trainer.

See you again soon!

Article 28-The Art of Painting With Smeargle
2235-Shiny-Smeargle.png

Today, I am outside the Ruins of Alph, here to catch a Smeargle for Art Day. I didn’t want to go back here after the issues with Unown, but it is important to find a Smeargle in its native land. It is a picturesque landscape. There are 5,000 different marks for Smeargle and each Smeargle has different paint, with five groups of color seen. These are Green, Red, Brown, Yellow, and Blue. That means I will have to catch 5 Smeargle this week. Smeargle can use its signature move, Sketch, to copy any move from other Pokemon. The only moves it can’t copy are Chatter, Struggle, and Shadow Moves. I am traveling with Pikachu, Togetic, Chansey, Gengar, and both Espurrs from last week.

I am not having luck finding Smeargle until I send out my two Espurrs, who begin to dance together. Suddenly, I see a Smeargle beginning to paint. With one showing up, soon it’s two, three, four, and all five materialize, all with different tail paint colors. My two Espurrs, intensely dancing together, release a blast of psychic energy, bringing the Smeargle under their control. The Smeargle, all wanting to paint the dancing “couple” and driven by Psychic control, begin fighting with each other for artistic control. Placing my bag down, I grab five Pokeballs out of my bag, watching them fight, paint flying everywhere. I take the moment to scan the Smeargle. The best stat is 75 Speed and the worst stats are 20 Attack and Special Attack. Smeargle are not attackers, but the speed stat is beneficial for their artistic work.

With the Smeargles distracted, I catch them all easily, then look at the art they produced. Aww. It was a look at Espurr’s future the two of them together, placed on a stone that was as smooth as a canvas! It certainly is beautiful. Here is a copy of it:
2 Meowstics.png

Ok! This ends the journey this week. We are still unsure about next week, but given what this week was, it should be interesting. See you next week. This is Travelin’ Dan, signing off!

POTW:Gameplayers (Issue #5)
Welcome to Gameplayers! My name is Unovia, and it is nice to have you here. This week’s subject is Smeargle, the dog painter. Smeargle debuts in Gold, Silver, and Crystal in the Ruins of Alph. In Emerald, Smeargle is the only Pokemon in Artisan Cave. Sinnoh sees Smeargle on Routes 208 and 212. Heartgold and Soulsilver adds the Safari Zone to Smeargle’s locations in Johto. Smeargle only materializes on Route 5 in Unova during Pokemon Black and White.Kalos sees Smeargle on Route 7, and in Alola it is found on Route 2 in all games.

TCG wise, Smeargle first appeared as a Black Star Promo Card, then showed up in the Neo Discovery series of cards. In total, Smeargle has had 9 Cards since the release.

See you next week!

POTW:Shows & Reads (Issue #5)
Welcome to Shows & Reads! My name is Unovia, and this week our topic is Smeargle. Smeargle is a Pokemon that features in episodes regarding art and sketching and police work. The best episode for Smeargle was EP197, where Smeargle was the main Pokemon of Jack Pollockson, an abstract artist who lives in the town of Whitestone with his 3 Smeargle who do the painting. The town did not appreciate him until Team Rocket accidentally intervened, helping to inspire him and save his reputation.

In the Manga, Smeargle’s most prominent role was under the ownership of Whitney, who gave it to DJ Mary. She eventually gave it back to Whitney.

Smeargle is an interesting Pokemon, perfect for artists. See you next week.

Article #29-Say Hi With Me
Hello trainers!
Today, I am at a street theatre in Galar watching the Mimes! Today is Waving Hi To A Friend Day, and we are talking about Mr. Mime and its family. The program is “Wave Hi To Me”, and it is the last day of the show. I wonder why?
Pokemon-Sword-and-Shield-How-to-Get-Mime-Jr.jpg

Starting up the show are two groups of 5 Mime Jr. One is non Galarian and one is Galarian. They wave at each other and dance together, swaying like they do. Mime Jr. are so cute! That is the end of Act 1.
3-Kantonian-And-Galarian-Mr.-Mime.jpg

As Act 2 begins, the Mime Jr. come back out. A Kantonian Mr. Mime comes out with them as their instructor, showing them different moves and having a miming class. As the students graduate, they evolve into Galarian Mr. Mimes. Strangely enough, regardless of their origins, all Mime Jr. in Galar evolve into Galarian Mr. Mimes. Looking at the Kantoian Mr. Mime and comparing it to the Galarian, the Kantoian one has a pink face and red dots, while the Galarian ones are blue with a diamond in the middle of its body. While all of the Mime Jr. were Psychic and Fairy, same as the Kantoian Mr. Mime, the Galarian Mr. Mimes are Ice and Psychic, dropping the Fairy type. The now Galarian Mr. Mimes dance together, hand in hand. That is the end of Act 2.
866.png

In the Final Act, the Galarian Mr. Mimes learn how to tap dance from that Kantoian Mr. Mime, who is a surprisingly skilled dancer! At first the Galarian Mr. Mimes struggle, but, through the use of canes and bowler hats. At the end of the show, the Galarian Mr. Mimes learn how to tap dance and after putting on the bowler hats, they evolve into Mr. Rime, ending the show in perfect tap dancing and taking a bow. The curtain closes. What a fantastic show! While I watched, I was able to scribble down the stats of the 4 Pokemon. These are Mime Jr., Kantoian Mr. Mime, Galarian Mr. Mime, and Mr. Rime.

StatsMime Jr.Mr. Mime (Kanto)Mr. Mime (Galar)Mr. Rime
HP20405080
Attack25456585
Defense45656575
Special Attack7010090110
Special Defense9012090100
Speed609010070

I was so happy to be there! Looking at my schedule, I am heading back to Kalos for Valentines Day. This is Travelin’ Dan, and I will see you then!

POTW:Gameplayers (Issue #6)
Welcome to Gameplayers! My name is Unovia, and it is great to have you here.This week, we are discussing the Mr. Mime evolution family. Because Mr. Mime came out before its baby form and other evolution, we are going to start there.

Despite the fact that Mr. Mime is a Kanto Pokemon, in Red, Blue, and Yellow, it is only available through a trade.The first time where you can actually catch one is in Gold, Silver, and Crystal, where it can be found on Route 21 or the Celadon Game Corner. Firered and Leafgreen and Heartgold and Soulsilver have the same locations as their original games.

By Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, Mr. Mime has a baby form, Mime Jr. Mime Jr. is catchable on Routes 209, 210, and the Trophy Garden, while Mr. Mime is catchable on Routes 218 and 222. For Unova, Mime Jr. can only be gotten through breeding, and the Mr. Mimes are only available on Route 20 in White 2. Kalos saw both Mime Jr. and Mr. Mime in Reflection Cave. Kalos is the only Region where they can both be in the same place. In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, they are catchable around Hau’oli City. Mr. Mime is catchable in LGPE on Route 11.

Finally, Galar saw Mr. Mime have a Regional Form and that Regional Form has an evolution, Mr. Rime. All 3 have various locations where they can be caught.

Regarding to the cards, Mr. Mime has appeared on 24 Different Cards since its introduction in the Jungle set. Mr. Mime is one of the Pokemon that has 3 different type cards, Psychic, Fairy, and Ice. The psychic cards are 16 of 24, Fairy is 5 of 24, and Water is 3 of 24. Mime Jr. has 6 different cards, all Psychic.Mr. Rime saw 3 Water type cards.

See you next week!

POTW:Shows & Reads (Issue #6)
Welcome to Shows and Reads! My name is Unovia, and we are glad to have you here. The Pokemon for this week are Mr. Mime and its family, Mime Jr. and Mr. Rime. We will begin with Mr. Mime, since it is the oldest of the forms. Mr. Mime first appeared in Episode 64 as part of a traveling circus. It eventually was cared for by Ash’s mom, Delia, who named it Mimey. Mimey has appeared on multiple occasions in the anime, usually when Ash came home. It was much later that it was revealed Ash caught it in a previous occasion, probably in the aforementioned episode. Mimey is now to take care of Ash and Goh. While Mime Jr. first appeared in Movie 8, Lucario & The Mystery of Mew, it made a major appearance as part of Team Rocket. Mime Jr. was part of James’ team, captured in AG 147 in replacement for Chimecho, who was ill. It stayed with Team Rocket, even having a spot in the Team Rocket Motto.It was in the team until the Trio traveled to Unova. Finally, Mr. Rime appeared, not yet in the main series, but in Twilight Wings Episode 5, Assistant.

In the Manga, Mr. Mime is in the team of a few trainers. These are Sabrina, Emerald, Crystal, and Valerie.Mime Jr., by contrast, only appeared twice, and Mr. Rime not at all yet. See you next week!

Article #30-Valentine's Day With Luvdisc
Greetings trainers, and Happy Valentine’s Day! It’s Travelin’ Dan, here on the islands of Azure Bay, hunting for Luvdisc. I have a duo of Pokemon with me, those being Pikachu and Gyrados. I have my rod, my lure, and a bucket, in which I have my Lure Balls, Net Balls, and Dive Balls that I received as a prize for catching Krabby and Kingler. My plan is to catch a lot of Luvdisc and set up an aquarium in my villa in Sinnoh for them all to swim and school in.
120px-370-Luvdisc.png

Luvdisc should be an easy catch in Azure Bay, considering it can be caught at 100% chance with the right rod. Here we go! I have to make sure I get enough for them to couple up. (A massive catching of Luvdisc ensues, and I catch 22 of the Rendezvous Pokemon, 11 Male and 11 Female). Ok, so I have filled up my bucket here, and it looks like they will be a nice collection to send back. Luvdisc is a Pokemon popular with happy couples, who often give pendants showing this Pokemon to each other to show their love for each other. During the springtime, they school up, turning the sea bright pink. They also school around Corsola, so I may catch a few of them for the aquarium. Luvdisc also carries with it Heart Scales, which may allow me to change movesets for my teams as needed. Looking at my remaining Lure Balls, Net Balls, and Dive Balls, I left Azure Bay, finding my way to Route 12, where I captured a few Corsola.
600px-222Corsola.png

Now that I have collected the Luvdisc and Corsola, I am going to head to Coumarine City to transport my catches to my Villa in Sinnoh, then go there and set it up before continuing on for the next week. Before I do that, I will post the stats for both.

StatsLuvdiscCorsola
HP4355
Attack3055
Defense5585
Special Attack4065
Special Defense6585
Speed9735

-Sinnoh Villa-
Hi! I am now here in my Sinnoh Villa, setting up my aquarium. Ok. It’s set up now, and my Luvdisc are all paired up and my Corsola are thrilled to be in the tank as well. This is Travelin’ Dan, signing off for the week!

Note To The Readers #9-21k Views!
Thank you to the Readers! 21k views and growing! I know I haven't done one of these since the format change, but I feel it is important to do one due to a change in situation. My area (I live in Southeast Texas) is set to experience some colder weather and even potentially snow. Normally Southeast Texas does not get this cold, even in the winter, so this is a potentially major deal.

Why am I bringing this up? Simply put, we may have internet disruption over the coming days, and due to that, the Gameplayers Issue and the Shows & Reads issue for this week may have to be written and released at the same time, on the same day because of bad weather. The intention is to release them on the normal schedule (Wednesday for Gameplayers and Friday for Shows & Reads) but if the weather is too bad, the postings will have to be released on the next available slot.

Thank you once again for the support, and please continue to support the postings! The more support we have, the better we get.

POTW:Gameplayers (Issue #7)
Welcome to Gameplayers! This is Unovia, and I am happy to have you here. Today, we are discussing Luvdisc. Luvdisc is first found in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald in the water route of 128 and Evergrande City. In Sinnoh, Luvdisc is found on Route 224 and the Pokemon League. Unlike in the original Johto, Luvdisc is found in HeartGold and Soulsilver on Route 27. In Unova, Luvdisc can be found in a variety of areas, those being Routes 4, 13, and 21, Driftveil City, Seaside Cave, Undella Town, Undella Bay, and Humilau City. Kalos sees Luvdisc in Routes 8 & 12, Ambrette Town, Cyllage City, Shalour City, and Azure Bay. Interestingly, Luvdisc shows up very frequently in Kalos, similar to Magikarp in previous Regions. Victory Road is added to Hoenn locations in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. Finally, in Alola, Luvdisc is found on Route 9 and Melemele Bay. In the Cards, Luvdisc appears on 9 since the Hidden Legends Expansion. That is it for this week. See you next week!

Last edited:
POTW:Shows & Reads (Issue #7)
Welcome to Shows & Reads. My name is Unovia, and it is great to have you here. Luvdisc, as with most water type Pokemon, appears quite frequently in episodes focusing on water travel. Luvdisc had 2 major appearances, both under water type trainers. The first was with Misty and her sister Daisy in Pokemon Chronicles Episode 16, where they were used as part of the Cerulean City Water Show. They were targeted by Butch and Cassidy, members of Team Rocket.

The other occasion was AG 110 as part of Juan’s team. Luvdisc was included in the battle against Ash, where it managed to defeat Ash’s Grovyle and get defeated by Corphish. Luvdisc in the Manga has a very small amount of occurrences. Both Wallace and Juan have Luvdisc, similar to the video games. Shows and Reads is short for the week. See you next week.

Article #31-Reading Cards for The Future
Greetings trainers!
This week, I am in Saffron City Kanto, at a Tarot Reading building for Card Reading Day. I am here to observe the Abra, Kadabra, and the occasional Alakazam here as they work. This building is full of Channelers and other claimed Psychics.
063Abra_OS_anime_2.png

Abra is known to sleep for 18 hours a day, and will teleport to safe locations if needed, sometimes changing locations once per hour. Abra has one of the smallest learnsets by Level Up, only possessing Teleport, so trainers with this Pokemon have to keep it safe and make sure it can teleport safely if needed.
Sabrina_Kadabra.png

Should trainers manage to evolve Abra to Kadabra, they will have a Pokemon with even stronger psychic abilities. Kadabra can emit alpha particles during the use of its powers. These alpha particles can damage clocks, hardware, and other machines. It is also known for using a silver spoon as an amplifier of its powers and for sleeping while levitating, though it doesn’t sleep as intensely as Abra does.
683px-065Alakazam_AG_anime.png

Alakazam is a Pokemon that is rare to see, due to being a Trade Evolution, but the ones that are seen are with trainers who have very profound psychic abilities, like Sabrina of this same city. Alakazam is a super intelligent Pokemon, with an IQ of 5,000, a mind that even rivals a Pokemon like Metagross, which has been compared to a super computer. Alakazam remembers everything that has occurred in its life, and can do the same for any human it focuses on. Alakazam is also capable of Mega Evolution, where its powers increase even more, gaining an oval red organ in the center of its forehead and the capability to fully levitate along with increasing the amplification of its psychic powers through the use of 5 spoons, up from 2 as an Alakazam. The facial hair has also increased, with Mega Alakazam gaining a long white beard. Mega Alakazams are even rarer to see than the usual Alakazam.

As I watch these Pokemon work, I am sitting at a table. Curiously, an Abra has teleported onto the same table. What is it doing? It has summoned an empty Pokeball from my bag and, while I watch, captures itself! I guess I now have an Abra, completely out of the blue! Let me read out the stats for Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, and even Mega Alakazam. There is a Mega Alakazam on the far end of the building, meaning some trainer here has a Mega Stone. Who is it? That Mega Alakazam wasn’t here a moment ago.
065Alakazam-Mega_XY_anime.png

I am seeing a woman with jet black hair coming down the stairs. That can’t be. It’s Sabrina herself, the woman who has had psychic abilities since she was a child and the Gym Leader of Saffron City. Rumor speculates that there were once two gyms right next door to each other, one fighting type and one psychic. The story goes that Sabrina kicked down the door of the Fighting Dojo and defeated all of the trainers easily. Thankfully, she has mellowed out over the last few years. What was I saying? I think my brain went fuzzy around the psychic energy. Oh right, the stats.
422px-Lets_Go_Pikachu_Eevee_Sabrina.png

StatsAbraKadabraAlakazamMega Alakazam
HP25405555
Attack20355050
Defense15304565
Special Attack105120135175
Special Defense557095105
Speed90105120150

Heading to the local Pokemon Center, I am given an envelope by the local Nurse Joy. It’s from Professor Oak. Why has Professor Oak sent me an invite? It is an invitation for the 25th Anniversary of the Laboratory. I am headed to Pallet Town to join in. It was nice for Professor Oak to invite me. I can travel with my new Abra. While I am there, I am going to collect my Melmetal. See you next week! This is Travelin’ Dan, signing off! Abra, use Teleport!

POTW:Gameplayers (Issue #8)
Welcome to Gameplayers! My name is Unovia, and it is nice to have you here. This week, we are focusing on the Abra evolution family. Abra first appears in Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow, where there are different locations between Red and Blue versus Yellow. In Red and Blue, Abra is catchable on Routes 24, 25, and the Celadon Game Corner, while in Yellow, Abra’s locations change to Routes 5, 6, 7, and 8, the four Routes around Saffron City, as well as maintaining the Celadon location. In Gold, Silver, and Crystal, Abra has quite a few locations, both in Kanto and Johto. Within Kanto, they maintain the locations of Routes 5, 6, 7, 8, 24, and 25, while adding Routes 34, 35, and Goldenrod City Game Corner in Johto.

In Ruby and Sapphire Hoenn, the only location where Abra can be found is Granite Cave, while in Emerald, Abra also has Route 116. Generation three Kanto removes the catchable locations of the routes around Saffron, positioning Abra back on Routes 24 and 25 like in Red and Blue. Now moving to Sinnoh, there are few locations where Abra is catchable, those being Routes 203, 215, and a trade in Oreburgh if the player cannot get one in the wild. Heartgold and Soulsilver sees Abra lose Route 7, which had been added in crystal, while gaining the Safari Zone. Generation five made Abra a rare catch, only available in White Forest. Kalos sees Abra only on Route 5, while Generation 6 Hoenn returns to Granite Cave only, ignoring Emerald’s addition. Abra in Alola is only findable in Route 2 and Hau’oli City. In Let’s Go Kanto, Abra finds itself once again around Saffron City. Abra in Galar is in the Field of Honor.

Moving onto Kadabra, it is catchable in Red and Blue within Cerulean Cave, while in Yellow you can find it on Route 8. It maintains Route 8 in Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Kadabra returns to Cerulean Cave in Generation three Kanto. Sinnoh sees Kadabra on Route 215 overall and the Victory Road in Platinum. Heartgold and Soulsilver combine Generation 2 and Generation 3 locations with Route 8 and Cerulean Cave. Wild Kadabra skips Generations 5 and 6, while barely coming back to Alola through Poke Pelago. Let’s Go Kanto brings Kadabra on Routes 7 and 8. Galar finds Kadabra in the Fields of Honor and the Soothing Wetlands and a Wanderer.

As a trade evolution, Alakazam is not often catchable in the wild, only being collectable through a Trade in Accumula Town in Unova and Loop Lagoon and Insular Sea as a wanderer in Galar. Regarding the Mega Stone to get your rare Alakazam to the next stage, there are a few areas where the stone can be found. These include Reflection Cave in Kalos, Slateport Market in Generation 6 Hoenn, Ancient Poni Path or Poni Plains in Alola, and Indigo Plateau in Let’s Go Kanto.

Let’s go to the Cards! Being part of Generation I, Abra appeared first in the Base Set of the Card Game. It has appeared on 12 Cards since then. Kadabra, by contrast, was a Pokemon of Controversy within the Card Game, as, while it appeared first in the Base Set, and 7 total cards, it has not had a new card since the Skyridge Expansion due to a lawsuit by Uri Geller, saying that Kadabra was based around him. The lawsuit has just recently been dropped, allowing for potentially more cards to be produced of Kadabra in the future. As of right now, Abra are allowed to evolve straight to Alakazam to bypass the stoppage due to the fact that Abra and Alakazam have continued to have new cards released since the block. Speaking of Alakazam, Alakazam first appeared in the Base Set of the TCG and has had 13 total cards since then. Uniquely, Alakazam has been treated as a trade off for Kadabra since Kadabra stopped being printed due to the lawsuit, the only Pokemon to have this distinction.

That does it for this week! See you soon!

POTW:Shows & Reads (Issue #8)
Welcome to Shows & Reads! My name is Unovia, and it is nice to have you here. This week involves the Abra evolution family. Starting with Abra, it has had only 4 major appearances and a ton of minor appearances. The most major appearance is with Sabrina, starting in Episode 22, evolving into Kadabra in the episode. Sabrina’s Kadabra appears again in Episode 24 during the rematch. Alakazam has a few major appearances, by contrast, appearing in Episode 108 with Luana in the Orange Islands and AG169 and AG170 with Anabel. Considering how many Alakazams there happen to be in the Anime, there seems to be a lot of trades for them.

In the Manga, Abra makes a few appearances, most significantly with Green and part of her team, though now it is in the box. Kadabra, unsurprisingly, is with Sabrina, which is its major appearance. Alakazam has a few appearances, most commonly with Sabrina, Blue, Emerald, and Anabel. It seems like when the characters have a psychic type, it is an Alakazam, I just find it interesting. Anyway, I am going to just close it up for this week!

Article #32-Happy 25th Birthday, Pokemon!
Greetings trainers! Today is the 25th Anniversary of the Pokemon Franchise! May it keep us all in business. Upon warping out of Teleport, I found myself at Professor Oak’s Laboratory. After taking a moment to chill and get my mind back in order, I returned Abra to its Pokeball and found my invite to the celebration. As I walked up to the laboratory, I found myself near a large queue line of well wishers for the professor as well as 3 new trainers who were there to collect their new partners. They were known as Ardor, Ross, and Silva. Both Ardor and Ross were male while Silva was female. They were there to make their first choice, the choice of what starter to take. I walked in with them to observe this moment myself.

As the pedestal rose with the three options, the three young trainers looked at their options carefully. Both of the boys looked at Silva, letting her make the first choice, showing their chivalry, and also potentially, their own nervousness at the occasion. Professor Oak let the three look at the potential partners while he had Tracy usher out the celebratory crowds, to have them show the starters to the remaining crowd. I was allowed to stay as well to document this occasion.

Silva, a young girl with long brown hair, green eyes, and a shy personality, quietly selected Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur, the Seed Pokemon, met the gaze of the little girl, exchanging smiles. It hugged her, and she returned it to the Pokeball.
654px-001Bulbasaur_AG_anime.png

The next question was which would the two boys take. Ardor, a guy with brown eyes and a fiery personality, stepped forward. He looked at Charmander, the Lizard Pokemon, showed off its tail flame, playing with it, characteristic of a young Charmander. Ardor scooped up the Pokemon and it climbed onto his shoulder. The boy returned it to the Pokeball.
530px-004Charmander_AG_anime.png

This left one more Pokemon, Squirtle. Ross, a boy with brown hair and deep blue eyes, picked up the Tiny Turtle Pokemon, exchanging smiles before returning it to its Pokeball.
585px-007Squirtle_AG_anime.png

Professor Oak gave each trainer five Pokeballs and a Pokedex, hoping they would complete it. Professor Oak then had a surprise for me. Pushing a button, a door opened, and Melmetal emerged. I returned Melmetal to its ball, then watched as the three trainers left to be celebrated by the crowd.

In a surprising move, the three kids asked where the battlefields were, and Tracy and I headed out with them to observe. Silva, still quiet, decided to observe the battle between Ardor and Ross, agreeing to battle the winner. Before the three battled, I was given permission to record the stats of the three starters, starting with Bulbasaur.

StatsBulbasaurCharmanderSquirtle
HP453944
Attack495248
Defense494365
Special Attack656050
Special Defense655064
Speed456543

In addition, I also recorded their starting moves. Bulbasaur had Tackle, Growl, and Vine Whip, Charmander had Scratch, Growl, and Ember, while Squirtle had Tackle, Tail Whip, and Water Gun. With Ardor and Ross facing each other down, I officiated the battle. With the superior starting speed, Charmander started the fight with a Scratch, which barely did anything due to Squirtle’s Defense. Squirtle retaliated with Tackle, which struck Charmander hard. Stepping up the moves, Charmander used Ember and Squirtle used Water Gun, creating a steamy fog to envelop the field. Charmander used the opportunity to burn the fog away while Squirtle sailed through, ending the battle with a final Tackle, winning the match.

Tracy and I healed the two, then Silva faced down Ross. Bulbasaur raced toward Squirtle, hitting with a Tackle. Squirtle returned the favor with another Tackle, then just like the previous match, they decided to face down with their elemental moves, Vine Whip against Water Gun. Bulbasaur used the vines to lift itself, then struck Squirtle with Vine Whip, winning the match. With Silva as the winner, all three rested on the battlefield, agreeing to travel together and get stronger. They also agreed to each take on the Gym Challenge for the Indigo League, challenging each other before each Gym to determine in what order they would face them down. Smiles on each other’s faces and Pokemon healed, Tracy gave them an information book on all Gyms in the Region so they could make their decisions together.

Before they, and I, left, we took the time to enjoy the celebration. Happy Birthday Pokemon, and Congrats on 25 years! This is Travelin’ Dan, signing off for the week!

POTW:Gameplayers (Issue #9)
Welcome to Gameplayers! My name is Unovia, and I am glad to have you here. This week, we are analyzing the basic forms of the Kanto Starters, those being Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. Being Starter Pokemon, they are rare to obtain, often bred by specialty breeders for the purpose of being given to beginning trainers. That being said, all three starters do, occasionally, have other locations.

The three were first released in Red and Blue, being the first Pokemon that the Player was exposed to, given to them by Professor Oak. This changed in Yellow, where, because Pikachu was the starter, the other Kanto Starters were available in locations through the main story. Bulbasaur was a gift Pokemon received in Cerulean City if Pikachu’s friendship is high enough. Charmander is a gift Pokemon received from a trainer on Route 24. Squirtle is given to the Player by Officer Jenny in Vermillion City, concerned that without a strong influence, the Squirtle would continue to be a troublemaker. Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle return to being Starter Pokemon in Firered and Leafgreen, the first remakes of Kanto.

The three do not appear again until Heartgold and Soulsilver, when Professor Oak offers one of them, of the Players Choice, as a prize for beating Red. They once again disappear until X and Y, where Professor Sycamore, not Professor Oak, offers one of the Players Choice, as a Secondary Starter for beating him. Professor Sycamore also gives the Player the respective Mega Stone, usable only when the Player gets the Mega Ring and the Starter evolves to the final form. The three make another appearance in Alola as part of the Island Scan feature. Bulbasaur is found on Route 2 Fridays, Charmander is found on Route 3 Sundays, and Squirtle is found in Seaward Cave Mondays.

By Pikachu and Eevee, the Kanto Starters resume their positions as catchable during the main story, just in different locations than they were in Yellow. Bulbasaur can be found in Viridian Forest along with Cerulean City. Charmander has a few locations, being catchable on Route 3, Route 4, and Rock Tunnel, along with Route 24. Squirtle has Route 24, Route 25, the Seafoam Islands, as well as Vermillion City. They are, surprisingly, available in Galar as well. Bulbasaur and Squirtle are both Gift Pokemon from the Master Dojo, while Charmander is available from Leon after becoming Champion and is also available as a wild encounter in Hammerlocke Hills and the Lake of Outrage.

Let’s move to the Cards.Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle were all first released in the base set of the Card Game.Bulbasaur has had 21 Cards. Charmander has had 27 Cards. Squirtle has had 22 Cards. For being starters connected to Kanto, the three starters of Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle have had exposure to a few other Regions, those being Johto, Kalos, and Galar. We will see you next week!

POTW:Shows & Reads (Issue #9)
Welcome to Shows & Reads! My name is Unovia, and it is great to have you here. This week, we are covering the Kanto Starters, Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle.As we do every episode of Shows and Reads, we are beginning with the anime. Bulbasaur has 3 major appearances with major characters in the anime, being in the teams of Ash, who obtained his in the first trek through Kanto, May, who received hers in the trek through Hoenn, and Shauna, who got hers off screen in the Kalos Region, likely from Professor Sycamore. In the Manga, the most prominent Bulbasaur is Saur from Red, who received it from Professor Oak on his first day as a trainer.

Charmander has 4 major appearances with major characters in the anime, being in the teams of Ash, Ritchie, Alain, and Trevor. Interestingly enough, Charmanders were only collected by main characters in the Kanto and Kalos Regions. Ash, Alain, and Trevor managed to fully evolve their Charmanders to Charizards, while Ritchie got his to Charmeleon. In the Manga, there are two prominent Charmanders who both later became Charizards. These Charizards belong to Blue and X, both protagonists in the Manga. Both were received from their respective Regional Professors, Oak and Sycamore respectively.

Squirtle has 4 major appearances with major characters in the anime, being in the teams of Ash, Gary, May, and Tierno. Ash obtained his during his first Kanto journey, Gary got his as a Starter Pokemon on the first day as a trainer, May was given hers by Professor Oak as a gift, and Tierno got his as a Starter Pokemon from Professor Sycamore. Ash’s is still a Squirtle, May’s is a Wartortle, and both Gary’s and Terno’s are Blastoises. In the Manga, the most prominent character with a Squirtle is Green, who later and quickly became a Blastoise. All three starters have been prominently demonstrated, in both the anime and manga. Happy Anniversary, Pokemon, and we will see you next week!

Article #33-Roasting the Pork With Emboar
Greetings trainers! This week, I am in a restaurant in Nuvema Town that uses Emboar to cook celebrating Pork Roast day. Emboar is a very strong Pokemon that can unleash powerful Fighting moves, and is deceptively fast. It’s most skillful attacks are of the Fire type, where it can use the strength of its nose to unleash powerful blasts. Upon reaching Nuvema, I retrieved my Tepig from the PC and decided to take him with me to the restaurant so he could see his evolved form in action. After a while, Tepig fell asleep and I let him sleep on the table while I ate. It’s amazing that, as strong as Emboar is, it can have finesse in the cooking process. I guess it demonstrates that Emboar can be compassionate. The Emboars have 3 levels of cooking for food, according to the owner of the restaurant. Those levels are: Flamethrower, Heat Crash, and Flare Blitz. It was nice to watch the Emboar work. After eating the food, which was absolutely delicious, I took down the stats of the Emboars.
500Emboar_BW_anime.png

Emboars best stat is its 123 Attack, which it uses for its fire and fighting moves. The worst stat is the 65 Speed, which is not surprising, considering that the Mega Pig is able to stand in battle for a long time, almost like a brick wall. Emboar is definitely a strong beast of a Pokemon and is surprisingly able to cook better than Magmar. As I pay the bill, I look at my schedule for next week, which is Butterfly Day, which should be in Kalos. This is Travelin’ Dan and Tepig, signing off! See you next week!

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom