• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Official Magazine

...but not the like, 2003 UK one?

Looks like they're trying out a new "Pokémon Official Magazine" in the US and Canada... I found a "Special Edition Premiere Issue" at my fav comic book shop today. It's mostly TCG-based but there were like 2 pages about HGSS.

Anyone else find this thing?! It looks cool, I hope they keep making it...

Scans? I searched, and it does exist. It features Arceus, right? (If so, then this is a month old by now)

Hmm.. I spend a good deal of time in book stores and I haven't seen this at all. I searched too and in addition to the old UK one, I found the Arceus edition you were talking about. Might be worth checking out if I can find it, even if it is almost all TCG.

Haven't seen it yet.

If it's about the TCG though, I'm all over it.

Scans? I searched, and it does exist. It features Arceus, right? (If so, then this is a month old by now)
Yeah, that's the one, I'll scan a little bit later to show everyone. It's not really dated so I couldn't tell exactly how old it is... but I've only just found it now.

I'd be interested in seeing a copy also. I expect it's aimed at newbies and young kids, but I'm hoping it's got something for experienced fans too.
It does seem more geared towards the kids, but I still thought it was an interesting read. Hopefully if the mag sticks around they'll add some more interesting stuff for older fans... it is definitely TCG-centric, though, no matter how you look at it.

Cover:
scan0001-1.jpg

Table of Contents:
scan0002-1.jpg

The HGSS sneak preview is really short, kind of boring and probably meant for people who don't use the internet... it's pretty much the first set of screenshots we saw but translated into English. x_X (Kotone's name hasn't been given btw)

There was also a neat "Pokemon Games Through the Years" section reminiscent of a Nintendo Power article or something. Nothing we've never seen before, but I always like reading these.

Then there's a LOT... a loooooooot of TCG stuff. Some stuff about last year's Championship winners, stuff about the Arceus theme decks, space-squandering "card galleries" (think Beckett), etc.

Oh, and a quiz based on Arceus and the Jewel of Life got thrown in there.

If anyone has any more questions or wants to see scans of a specific section let me know ^^

Free booster pack? Wtf. Win.

Thanks for the scan Zesty. I think I'll pick it up just to check it out and support it.

. . . it's been a long while since I've seen a good-looking Pokemon magazine like this! (Nah, Beckett's doesn't count . . .)

Much thanks for the scans there. It looks really nice. I just hope I could find myself a copy of this . . . I'm not that much into the TCG, but I still would like this.

Ne, Zesty, could I request a scan of the "VG through the Years" section? I'm curious about it . . . although if I find it, I'll probably buy it anyway. The swag sounds worth the price (free poster, free Arceus booster . . . sweet) Thanks in advance~!

Wow, this magazine looks really cool! I'd like to get it but... yeah, I won't find it in Israel XD too bad... it even comes with a TCG booster pack!
If you can scan more pages, it'd be nice... I'd buy it if I could

Hopefully it will be better than Beckett...paying 30 dollars to get your artwork in a magazine is f*&$ing bogus.

. . . it's been a long while since I've seen a good-looking Pokemon magazine like this! (Nah, Beckett's doesn't count . . .)

Much thanks for the scans there. It looks really nice. I just hope I could find myself a copy of this . . . I'm not that much into the TCG, but I still would like this.

Ne, Zesty, could I request a scan of the "VG through the Years" section? I'm curious about it . . . although if I find it, I'll probably buy it anyway. The swag sounds worth the price (free poster, free Arceus booster . . . sweet) Thanks in advance~!
LOL BECKETT. Beckett is such a joke... the comic book shop owner who sold me the mag was like "YO TAKE SOME BECKETTS FOR FREE WITH THAT!!" XD

P.S. No problem, I'll scan that tonight :)

Hopefully it will be better than Beckett...paying 30 dollars to get your artwork in a magazine is f*&$ing bogus.
@#$%ing ridiculous. They also didn't publish my picture of my Pokemon collection, screw them! D:

Here we go. Sorry to keep you waiting! ^^' if anyone else wants to see any other sections let me know!

Page One:
scan0002-2.jpg

Page Two:
scan0001-2.jpg

I was disappointed that they ignored Emerald, but they kinda ran out of room, I guess. :p

Here we go. Sorry to keep you waiting! ^^' if anyone else wants to see any other sections let me know!

I was disappointed that they ignored Emerald, but they kinda ran out of room, I guess. :p

Wow, you're right! I'm surprised they left all of the third games out....they were just as important as their base versions, if not more!

Wow, you're right! I'm surprised they left all of the third games out....they were just as important as their base versions, if not more!
Third versions = sidebar on page two. :p It's dumb though cuz they mention Yellow, Crystal, and Platinum, but not Emerald!! What's with the Gen III hate :(

Eh...I would advise against posting any more scans. I wouldn't want to check Bulbanews one morning and find out that this publication was canceled because everyone just bootlegged it instead of buying it at the store :/

Looks very similiar to the Norwegian Official Pokemon Magazine, which has been published for years. The focus here, as there, is largely on the TCG, as well as the illustrated anime episode adaptations that take up a lot of each issue. I've picked it up a couple times, but there's rarely much of interest in there.
I'm not quite sure who the intended audience for this is supposed to be, either - the anime adaptations, with it's simplistic writing style and one of those "did you manage to follow the story" quizzes at the end, seems aimed at the kindergarten/early grade school level, while the reports on the video games and TCG is clearly aimed at older kids with more in-depth knowledge of the games.

Looks very similiar to the Norwegian Official Pokemon Magazine, which has been published for years. The focus here, as there, is largely on the TCG, as well as the illustrated anime episode adaptations that take up a lot of each issue. I've picked it up a couple times, but there's rarely much of interest in there.
I'm not quite sure who the intended audience for this is supposed to be, either - the anime adaptations, with it's simplistic writing style and one of those "did you manage to follow the story" quizzes at the end, seems aimed at the kindergarten/early grade school level, while the reports on the video games and TCG is clearly aimed at older kids with more in-depth knowledge of the games.
Yeah, that confused me too. There's a LOT of TCG stuff... and a lot of it is basically filler (like, pictures of all the fourth gen cards? Whatever?). I wish we had anime adaptations - that would be, well, more readable content :p I think they're trying to appeal to "everybody", but they need to refine that a bit cause it's just all over the place D;

@ Dogasu: true. Although Mr. Indie Comic Store that sold me the mag says he thinks it's a one-off thing anyways, which totally blows if that's true.

I thought the really same thing as I saw this. We have also that kind of magazine, and I`m sure that the Finnish one is just roughly translasted version of it. [What is that magazine`s original home country anyway? It seems that it`s published in Scandinavia, Germany and France.]
However, that magazine is just big joke. Really big joke. It has always some kind of wrong and outdated information, and is really aimed for those who don`t have internet. It`s also really expensive, almost 6 euros!

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom