• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon on the Revolution

FabuVinny

May the Aura be with you.
Reaction score
So now that Genius Sonority have done Pokémon Colosseum properly, what would you like to see in a Pokémon game for the Revolution? Do we want to see Shadow Pokémon a third time? And how could the controller be implemented to work in a Pokémon RPG?

Discuss.

I'd love to see a console Pokemon game with a plot. And likable characters.

Also, I'm sure the Revolution controller will be used in some weird way to capture pokemon the way the DS' screen is being used to "capture" pokemon in Pokemon Ranger. Maybe you would cast your controller (like a fishing rod) to throw the Monster Ball, and your capture of the creature depends on you not throwing the Ball too close or too far away.

If they were to rehash Colosseum for a second time, I would personally march into Genius Sonority's offices and kill every single developer ala Jack Thompson's 'Modest Proposal'.

The leap of quality between Colosseum and XD, however, proves that Genius Sonority are learning well. If they could just get some originality and come up with a NEW game, i'd imagine they'd do wonders. Although I think someone needs to call up their art department and put Sugimori on the phone if they think that the Trozei art or the Colosseum/XD human designs are in anyway 'normal'.

Personally, I would love to see a change in the battle engine on the console version.
I can see limitations and how the moveset is limited to 4, thats ok, but what needs
to be worked on are the animations during battle. We always see the pokemon
perform their attack, but I'm a bit tired of the same cookie cutter type reactions.
Working on getting the pokemon to attack each other on the same screen
would be a giant improvement in my eyes.

Other things to work on are the travel enviornment and capturing wild pokemon.
The heart and core of many RPG's is the exploration aspect, the one that's found
in the portables. If that can be worked on, I'm sure random encounters on the
field isn't too hard to work into development.

I'm sure all these are being considered for the next gen title, and I really hope
Nintendo brings the traditional Pokemon play to the Revolution.

I'd also like to see you be able to face off against non-pokemon opponents. I was so disappointed when, in XD, the Groudon mecha that Kaminko's assistant ended up being...nothing at all. Letting players fight giant robots (maybe give them Steel/Electric-type characteristics, if they have to assign types) would be really fun, in my opinion, and it would certainly break up the monotony that is fighting random battle after random battle.

I'd also like to see select battles have time limits. Like, say the snag laboratory is set to blow up in ten minutes because of some bomb you plant. I would like to see a timer in the upper corner of the screen keeping track of you as you try to escape the lab before time runs out. Battles during this period would also be timed, but in order for this to work, they'd probably have to work on reducing the load times for battles (because it takes a ridiculously long time to load the battles in Colosseum/XD).

It would also be nice if we could see more HM moves on the field (this applies for D/P as well). Let fire pokemon be able to breathe fire to clear ice or other obstacles, and let electric pokemon be able to power machines by shooting it with electricity. If the game developers simply looked at the anime, they would find that there is no shortage of ideas for new HM's that could be used in the field.

I couldn't agree more Dogasu, and furthermore, although the developers of Colosseum/XD would be hard pressed to make random battles, I do not think that I'm speaking only for myself when I say that for random battles on the gamecube, I couldn't care less if I had to wait years for such a development.

Why would it be difficult to do random battles? (Almost) All RPGs, whether they're on the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Revolution or any other console have random battles. It's not as if they're difficult to put in, Genius Sonority just chose not to.

I have to say that I'm not entirely satisfied with the way Genius Sonority have handled their Pokemon games so far.I think XD is a *slight* improvement over Colosseum,but the games overall can be MUCH better.

If there's going to be a Pokemon game for the Revolution,I think Nintendo should hand off the project to someone else.I'd say give it to Capcom so they can use the Viewtiful Joe Engine to make the game.It would look amazing IMO.

Doctor Oak said:
Why would it be difficult to do random battles? (Almost) All RPGs, whether they're on the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Revolution or any other console have random battles. It's not as if they're difficult to put in, Genius Sonority just chose not to.
Actually, RPGs in the current generation RARELY have random battles - since the PS1, there's been a big shift towards trying to eliminate random battles, as they harken back to a more archaic time when having a bunch of sprites on screen at once would be too taxing on a system. I guess Genius Sorority felt pressured to avoid random battles as well.

I have a reccomendation forget genius sonority imo. Just so you guys know IGN has stated a couple of times that there is a Pokemon Revolution. They have had polls with it as a choice for an anticipated Rev. game. as well as a few mailbags here's a link to one of the mailbags it was stated there was one indevelopment http://cube.ign.com/mail/2005-07-07.html

I agree with Dogasu though they should have a Pokemon Ranger game. I may have been a little harsh on genius sonority before but, I think they should abandon some aspects. Although rangers could work well with the shadow pokemon aspect. I would just like a more complex plot. Not so many random things though. I also want something to do with the legendaries and not just watching the shadow legendaries and no background story. Another idea would be a game more centered around being a coordinator kinda like how the regular games focus on the gyms except we focus on contests instead.

Personally There are only two pokemon games I'd really want to see:

A pokemon MMO, something of the sort of the GB stlye RPGs but with a completely different play style to Diamond and pearl. Maybe making it's influence from Pokemon Special or something (Making it an Action RPG with an influence on 2on2+ unoffical battles, and of course you don't controll the pokemon's movement). Also maybe slightly Traditional Gym like battles and official battles like the Stadium games (but with advanced animation).

The second would be a Pokemon Snap sequeal where you could play a naturalist taking care of a Nature Park. It would be like a cross between snap, and pokemon ranger.. mixed with revolution controller interactions.

I think it could be cool.

Everyone either is, or should be, in agreement that a Pokemon MMO would be, by far, the worst idea in the history of ever.

Imagine having to play that alongside the population of Serebii, PokeCommunity and NetBattle put together. I'd rather top myself really.

It's not the worst Idea, we could have gang wars.

The only think is a linear Pokemon has never really appealed to me. Colosseum and XD both felt too linear to me, but I guess people liked them anyways.

I want a game only for battles. And only in this game you could cath the legendary pokémon.

Just battles would be boring. And you have the Battle Tower/Colosseums if you want to do that, anyway.

It could be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. It's compleatly up to Nintendo. I don't think Nintendo is really excited about having Pokemon go MMORPG though. They made Mario Kart DS cut all communication between players on purpose for example.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom