• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon: Party Maker

Weiss

Cold As Ice
Reaction score
Hi All,

I thought it would be fun if you are looking to replay one of the Pokémon games to have others pick your team. For instance name the game below along with the level of difficulty. This way people can either list meta or “challenge” teams. I do this with my husband it really makes the games much more challenging like when we were kids.

p.s.

You should also state the number of Pokémon you wish to use. Replaying Ultra Moon with only 3 Pokémon and Battle: Set is really fun.

Good Luck!

I have recently bought Crystal on the 3DS, so I think it would be nice if I built a 'proper' team on it (while I have a mono-type run in Gold). So I'm open to suggestions. Only thing though: No Pokemon exclusive to the Kanto region because that's late game and I don't have any means of trading with myself with these games.

A team of six, of course. Set would be fun for a change actually.

@Blockhead Pippi Well, Cyndaquil is the safest choice for a Starter, as Fire does extremely well in Johto. Plus, due to the Physical/Special split not in effect yet, Fire moves will feed off of Cyndaquil's better attacking stat naturally, compared to Totodile's Water moves feeding off its weaker stat. Moving on, get Sentret/Furret for a HM Slave early on, which you can box later.

If you're lucky, try to find a Phanpy shortly after you get Poke Balls, as the Ground-type will be useful, especially when it comes to moves like Strength and Earthquake. If not, it's not a huge loss, but it does make certain opponents easier.

For a Flying Mon, Spearow is the best choice, as it gets moves like Drill Peck and Return, plus, obviously, Fly. Dodrio would be better, but it comes after Clair's Gym, so it's not worth waiting for.

For a Water Mon, Lapras is the best Water Mon in the game. You'll need a temporary Surfer, but that's what Furret is for.

Since Mareep isn't in Crystal for some reason, try to hatch an Elekid egg from the Odd Egg for your Electric Mon and evolve it into Electabuzz. If you can get one, it'll tear Johto and Kanto to shreds with the Elemental Punches. If you can't, then substitute it with a Grass Mon of your choice (though be careful of Stone ones, as Stones are insanely hard to get in Johto). Personally, Victreebel would be my choice, but it's up to you.

Moving on, your best choice for a Psychic Mon is Espeon, as Psychic tears Johto and Kanto to shreds (and this way you won't need to do a trade evo). However, here's a tip: catch a Ditto and breed it with the Eevee to get an Eevee egg. That way you'll be able to get Confusion, since the gift Eevee is Lv20, several levels higher than when Espeon gets Confusion, otherwise you'll have bit of an uphill battle until its next Psychic move. It's extra effort, but unless you have someone you can do a trade/trade-back with to get Alakazam, Espeon is your next best option.

In case you couldn't get Phanpy (it does run a lot, as most rare Johto Mons do, so it is a gamble), Tauros will be the next best thing. Plus it'll be your Strength Mon (which it gets STAB from as an added bonus), plus it has solid stats. It'll take some patience to find, as it only has a 5% chance of encounter (not including night, where it has a 0% chance), but it's worth the extra effort.

I hope this helps your Crystal run. Good luck.

I might be able to offer something a bit more practical. I'll try to keep this shorter than my last post.

Infernape (starter)
Staraptor (Flyer, though slightly redundant when with Infernape)
Floatzel (Surfer)
Garchomp (lightning bruiser, plus can be a temporary HM user for most like Rock Climb)
Magnezone (good for all those Gyarados, Bird Keepers, and so on, plus good type combo)
Weavile (extremely fast and powerful with good priority in Ice Shard, and can hold certain HMs temporarily like Rock Smash)

Hope this is of use to you, @Parissong. Good luck.

Now it's my turn. HeartGold glitched on me, so I lost everything (I'm starting to wonder if it's a bootleg, since this isn't the first time), so I'm back to square one. I need a team. Six Mons, Cyndaquil as the starter, trade evos and cross-gen evos (like Magnezone, Gliscor, and so on) are allowed, but nothing that's Kanto exclusive. And please keep it relatively practical, as I don't like gimmick runs. Thanks.

@CynthiaLover I should've posted this sooner, but thank you for the suggestions! I was wondering if you could think of any alternatives to Cyndaquil? I like it, but lately I like doing more runs without the starter Pokemon for variety sake. Granted I know Johto doesn't have very many other good Fire-type mons. Except maybe Magmar.

@CynthiaLover I should've posted this sooner, but thank you for the suggestions! I was wondering if you could think of any alternatives to Cyndaquil? I like it, but lately I like doing more runs without the starter Pokemon for variety sake. Granted I know Johto doesn't have very many other good Fire-type mons. Except maybe Magmar.

Glad I could be of help. As for a replacement Fire Mon, the pickings are rather slim. However, I guess Growlithe would be the next best thing. Since Vulpix and Charmander aren't in Crystal, Houdour and Slugma are Kanto-exclusive, and Magmar is only decent, Growlithe might be the best choice. However, it is a Stone evo, and getting Fire Stones (or any stones, for that matter) are hard in Gen II. But, in the end, Arcanine would be the next best thing, given its beefy BST. Hope that helps.

Infernape, Cherrim, Lumineon, Bastiodon, Vespiquen, Lickilicky

Have fun.

I see Lickilicky. Thank you, but I might have to omit that abomination from my team.

Infernape (starter)
Staraptor (Flyer, though slightly redundant when with Infernape)
Floatzel (Surfer)
Garchomp (lightning bruiser, plus can be a temporary HM user for most like Rock Climb)
Magnezone (good for all those Gyarados, Bird Keepers, and so on, plus good type combo)
Weavile (extremely fast and powerful with good priority in Ice Shard, and can hold certain HMs temporarily like Rock Smash)

Hope this is of use to you, @Parissong. Good luck.

This seems amazing! Thank you, Champion Cynthia. But why would Staraptor be slightly redundant with Infernape you think?

I was deliberately giving you a challenging team. Omit Lickilicky if you want, but don't be tempted to use what works best.

This seems amazing! Thank you, Champion Cynthia. But why would Staraptor be slightly redundant with Infernape you think?

Glad you like it. And it's CynthiaLover. Champion Cynthia is another user here. As for why Staraptor is slightly redundant when paired up with Infernape, it's because, outside of Fly, both fill almost the same role. And since both have access to Close Combat makes the similarities more noticeable. But, at the same time, Staraptor is the best Flying Mon in the game, and Fly is very much necessary here, given the insanity that is Mt. Coronet and the sheer amount of backtracking needed. So, while it is a very useful Mon, outside of Fly, it does share a similar role to Infernape on the team, hence why I said it's slightly redundant. But, either way, hope this team works out for you.

Sorry for the double post, but now it's my turn to ask for help. HeartGold glitched again, so I gave up on it, so now I'm doing a Black run. Six Mons, Tepig as the starter, and please keep it at least somewhat practical. Thanks in advance.

Okay, with Black said and done, new game time, new team time (plus I need a break from CTR, as I'm already in the Gold Tier for the newest Grand Prix).

Game: Y
Team Rules: Team of six, Greninja as starter, Kalos Dex only, no Megas, no Kanto Mons (as I'm beyond sick of them at this point), at least somewhat practical, and no Smogon-based teams.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention one thing. If a Mon evolve from a Kanto Mon into a non-Kanto Mon (ie: Magneton to Magnezone), then that's fine.

EDIT 2: Scratch all of the above. I can't find Y. I probably traded it in or something, though I don't know for sure at this point, as I've traded in a fair few games lately so I could get Kill La Kill IF with credit instead of cash.

So, new setup. Omega Ruby: Team of six, Blaziken as starter, Hoenn Dex only (so no Dex Nav exclusives), and please keep it somewhat practical. Thanks.

Last edited:
So, new setup. Omega Ruby: Team of six, Blaziken as starter, Hoenn Dex only (so no Dex Nav exclusives), and please keep it somewhat practical. Thanks.

I have two:

Blaziken, Lanturn, Tropius, Grumpig, Azumarill, and Pinsir.
  • I think you have all HMs covered with this team. The two Water types are meant to lessen the burden of the three Water HMs: Lanturn gets Surf while Azumarill gets Waterfall and Dive.
Blaziken, Sharpedo, Skarmory, Cradily, Manetric, and Linoone (HM slave).
  • This team removes the burden of (most) HMs at the cost of having only five useful team members. Linoone can learn Cut, Surf, Rock Smash, and Strength. Skarmory and Cradily are meant to be defensive while the rest are offensive.

Note that neither team was created with contests in mind. I hope these are somewhat practical beyond HMs, it's been a while since I've played ORAS.

@SpinyShell I meant to post this earlier, but RL got in the way. I appreciate the help, though by the time my post was answered, I had already made a team and finished the game. But since you were nice enough to lay out a suggestion, I faved it as thanks and will keep it in mind if I do another run sometime later on.

Anyway, speaking of another run, I'm doing a lap through Ultra Sun again, as I'm getting a bit tired of CTR: NF (you can only grind for so many Wumpa Coins/Nitro a day before it gets repetitive). Anyway, I'll be starting with Rowlet, and I've bred a Own Tempo Rockruff for it, as I cannot do an Alola run without Lycanroc, but I need the remaining 4 teammates. Like always, try to keep it rather practical, as I don't like gimmick teams. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot one last thing. The Mons have to be obtainable by the third island at the very latest, before the "raid" on Aether. Anything later won't work, as their will be very little for them to do by then (plus I would need to grind them to match the rest of the team, obviously).

Last edited:
@SpinyShell I meant to post this earlier, but RL got in the way. I appreciate the help, though by the time my post was answered, I had already made a team and finished the game. But since you were nice enough to lay out a suggestion, I faved it as thanks and will keep it in mind if I do another run sometime later on.

Anyway, speaking of another run, I'm doing a lap through Ultra Sun again, as I'm getting a bit tired of CTR: NF (you can only grind for so many Wumpa Coins/Nitro a day before it gets repetitive). Anyway, I'll be starting with Rowlet, and I've bred a Own Tempo Rockruff for it, as I cannot do an Alola run without Lycanroc, but I need the remaining 4 teammates. Like always, try to keep it rather practical, as I don't like gimmick teams. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot one last thing. The Mons have to be obtainable by the third island at the very latest, before the "raid" on Aether. Anything later won't work, as their will be very little for them to do by then (plus I would need to grind them to match the rest of the team, obviously).

Salazzle is a good option, thats if she has a good Special Attack. You have access to Toxic, Flame Thrower, Sludge Bomb, and Nasty Plot, which was my main move set.

If you need a great Physical Attacker, you can get a Hawlucha before the first trial by trading a Spearow to a lass in the pokemon center in from of the cave.

And then there is Goodra, which can be found as a Goomy in Lush Jungle while it's raining as an SOS Encounter.

And Finally, for a good option, you can get a Tyranitar in Digletts Cave as a Larvitar.

These are all Island 1 and 2 mons, and pretty powerful

Random User reading this and wanting to play BW, here is a team for you

Emboar, as he isn't that bad, in fact possibly the best of the starters.

Whimsicott, decent pokemon and can tank, also obtainable early, (If you have white, trade a Petill in Nacrene City

Galvantula, extremely useful, and can take out the elite 4 basically single leggedly

Carracosta, power fossil mon and a good surf mon

Haxorus, as soon as you get surf you can get one of these, and can help you out.

Reuniclus/Gothitelle, strong psychic type

Here is another team I thought of, but for Pokemon GSC

Typhlosion

Quagsire

Noctowl

Jolteon

Tangela

Lapras

Optional Members can include
Espeon or Umbreon
Dragonite
Furret
Girafirig
Onix

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom