• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Start Ups Pokemon Platinum DX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warrior of Fire

This is the Monado's power!
Reaction score
sign-up thread: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f424/pokemon-platinum-dx-149765/
OOC thread: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f429/pokemon-platinum-dx-ooc-149899/

"'Pokemon are by our side, always. I hope you will understand the meaning of those words.'

"That was the comment left by Prof. Rowan, who has returned to Sinnoh from the Kanto region. That concludes our special program, 'Let's Ask Prof. Rowan!' Brought to you by Jubilife TV on Nationwide Net! See you next week, same time, same channel!"

As the program ended, Michael stood up. Putting his hat and jacket on, Michael stepped forward to turn of his TV, when his best friend Barry came rushing into his room.

"There you are!" Barry exclaimed upon seeing his friend. He then rushed over to stand next to Michael. "Hey, Michael! Did you just see the TV?

Sure you did! Prof. Rowan's that really important guy who studies Pokemon, right?"

"Yeah," Michael said, trying to anticipate what Barry was suggesting.

"That means he must have lots and lots of Pokemon."

"Okay."

"So, if we ask him, I bet he'd give us some Pokemon!"

Before Michael could say anything else, Barry zoomed over to Michael's desk, more importantly, the PC on it. "What the...?"

"Oh, hey! Is this a new PC?!"

"Weren't you just talking about..."

Barry turned to face Michael. "Uh... Where was I?" He took two steps toward his friend. "Oh, right, right! We're going to see Prof. Rowan and get some Pokemon. I'll be waiting outside. OK, Michael? If you're late, I'm fining you P10 million!" With that, Barry zipped around Michael and downstairs.

"I'll never get used to that," Michael sighed as he went to follow Barry down. Once downstairs, his mom noticed him and walked over.

"Michael! Barry already left," Michael's mom said.

"Never could stay still," Michael commented under his breath.

"I don't know what it was about, but he sure was in a hurry!"

As Michael's mom returned to her seat in front of the downstairs TV, Michael just smiled and shook his head. "That's Barry for you." Michael then went to exit his house, but his mom stopped him before he could walk out.

"Oh, yes! Michael! Don't go into the tall grass. Wild Pokemon might attack you. It would be OK if you had your own Pokemon, but you don't, so... Well, take care, sweetie!"

"Don't worry, mom!" Michael called back as he left.

Twinleaf Town, just shaking off the last dregs of winter, looked picturesque in the mid-morning light. A few houses still had their lights on, and patches of snow could be seen in several places. A couple people were walking around outside, and Michael enjoyed the cool, crisp air for the brief moment before realizing that Barry was nowhere to be found. "He's probably at his house," Michael reasoned, and walked over there. As he was about to open the door, it opened and Barry burst out, thudding into Michael, both of them getting knocked down.

"What was that about?!" Barry exclaimed as they both stood up and dusted off. "Oh, hey, Michael!"

"Hey," Michael said quickly before Barry could interrupt him for the millionth time.

"Hey! I'm going to see Prof. Rowan! You should come, too! And quickly!"

Barry took off, but before he passed his mailbox, he stopped, returning to between Michael and his front door.

"Oh, jeez! Forgot something!"

He returned inside, leaving Michael to once again shake his head before following his friend. "When will he learn to slow down?"

"Oh, hi, Michael," Barry's mom said as he walked inside. "Are you looking for Barry? He was gone for a second, but then he came running right back home."

"Yeah, I just followed him in," Michael said as he put a hand behind his head.

"He just can't sit still, that boy. I wonder who he takes after?"

Michael excused himself and went up to Barry's room.

Barry didn't notice Michael come in. "...I'd better take my bag and journal, too..."

"Hey, Barry," Michael said, loud enough to get Barry's short attention.

"Oh, hey, Michael! I'll be waiting on the road! It's a P10 million fine if you're late!"

Barry rushed past Michael yet again, this time with Michael sidestepping Barry to avoid a potentially painful collision (for him). Michael just shood his head, forehead in his right hand, before following him outside. It took a minute to walk to where Barry was waiting for him on Route 201.

"Too slow!" Barry said as Michael approached.

"Whatever," Michael sighed, knowing that he was always playing by Barry's rules, whether he liked it or not.

"All right! Let's get moving to Prof. Rowan's lab." Barry lead Michael to the edge of the tall grass, but Michael stopped two steps short.

"Hey, don't go into the grass!"

"What? Don't go into the grass, right?"

"Right. Wild Pokemon might..."

"No worries! No problem!"

"Oh, great, another one of Barry's hair-brained schemes," Michael said sarcastically under his breath.

"It doesn't matter that we don't have any Pokemon," Barry continued, not hearing Michael's comment. "Trust me on this one. I've got an idea!"

"Famous last words with you," Michael again said under his breath.

"Now listen. You know how wild Pokemon jump out when you go into tall grass?"

"Yeah, that's why I was trying..."

Barry walked over to stand next to his friend. "So, what you do is, you scoot over to the next patch of grass before any wild Pokemon can appear!"

"Yep, he's crazy."

"If we just keep dashing, we can get to Sandgem Town without running into wild Pokemon!"

"Sure," Michael said with extra sarcasm.

"OK, stick with me!" Barry walked over to a few paces away from the tall grass and got into a runner's position. "OK, here goes!"

"I can't believe he's actually gonna do this."

"On your marks..."

"Oh, wait, yes I can."

Barry started to run toward the tall grass, but a voice shouting caused him to stop right in front of Michael.

"HOLD IT!"

Both boys looked toward Lake Verity, and an old man wearing a blue vest, white shirt with a tie, and black pants approached them both.

"You two don't seem to have any Pokemon between you? Then, what is the meaning of going into the tall grass?!"

Barry and the old man just stared at each other for a few seconds, an unconfortable silence brewing. Barry broke it by turning to Michael. "Hey, Michael. This old guy... It's Prof. Rowan, isn't it? What's he doing here...?"

Rowan turned around and walked a few step back toward where he came from. "They tried to go into the tall grass because they wanted Pokemon... Hmm... What to do...? Their world would surely change if they were to meet Pokemon... Is it right for me to put them on that path...?" After a coulpe more seconds of contemplation, he walked back over to the two. "You two. You truly love Pokemon, do you?"

"Yes," Michael said.

"Me, too!" Barry added. "I love Pokemon, too!"

"I will ask you once again," the professor continued. "You two. You truly love Pokemon, do you?"

"What?!" Barry asked, seemingly shocked. "You can ask a hundred times! The answer will never change! We'll both answer a hundred times, we love Pokemon! Right, Michael?"

"Of course!" Michael answered.

"...A pair of reckless kids who foolishly try to enter tall grass without Pokemon of their own...?" Rowan asked rhetorically. "It worries me what people like that would do with Pokemon."

"...Uh... Well, I, uh..." Barry stammered. He continued being silent for a few more seconds, a record when standing still, also a record as he's been doing so for several minutes now. "Well, then forget about me, but give a Pokemon to my friend here! I mean, it was me who tried to go into the tall grass and all..."

Michael and Rowan were both surprised, especially so for Michael, since this whole adventure had been Barry's idea from the start.

"How big of you..." Rowan said.

"Who are you and what did you do with Barry?" Michael asked jokingly.

"Very well, then!" Rowan added. "I will entrust you two with Pokemon! I apologize for putting you through that exercise. However! You must promis me that you will never recklessly endanger yourselves again. Now, then... Hm? Now, where...?"

Rowan looked around and noticed a girl approaching them. She stopped right behind the professor.

"Professor Rowan," she said. "You left your briefcase at the lake!" The girl set down the briefcase as Rowan turned around "Oh? Is something wrong here?"

"Ah! There it is!" Rowan said. "Dawn, nice work. What I was about to do was to entrust these two with their own Pokemon."

"Pardon?!" Dawn gasped. "Those Pokemon are hard to replace. Are you sure about giving them away?"

"Hm!" the professor started. "We exist side by side with Pokemon. There comes a time when people should meet Pokemon. There is a world that should be explored together. For them, today is that time. The place, right here." He then turned to Michael and Barry. "Go on! Open the briefcase and choose a Pokemon!"

"Really?!" Barry gasped. "Prof. Rowan! I can't believe it! I'm so happy now that I can't keep a straight face!"

"Calm down, Barry," Michael said to his friend.

"Hey, Michael. You can choose first."

"Really?"

"Hey, I'm practically a grown-up. I have to show some class here."

"Again, really?"

"Really, pal. Go right ahead. I messed up big here, so you have to pick first."

"All right then." Michael stepped up to the briefcase and opened it. Inside, on top of some documents and other assorted items were three Poke Balls. "What Pokemon are here?"

"In the Poke Ball on the left is the Grass-type Turtwig," Rowan answered, "in the middle is the Fire-type Chimchar, and on the right is the Water-type Piplup."

"In that case," Michael replied, "I pick Chimchar." Michael grabbed the middle Poke Ball and pressed the button. In a flash of white light, Chimchar came out of its Poke Ball.

"Then," Barry said, "I choose you! I'm picking this Piplup!" Barry did the same as Michael, instead grabbing the right Poke Ball and sending out Piplup. The two then recalled their new Pokemon.

"Very well!" Rowan said. "Both of you have chosen a good Pokemon, it seems. Now, listen well! The Pokemon you have been entrusted with are unfamiliar with the world. In that regard, they're much like you. As fellow newcomers to the world, I hope you'll do well together. If you have any trouble, come see me at my lab in Sandgem Town. And now, we'll be on our way."

Barry moved out of Rowan and Dawn's way, and Rowan walked through the grass toward Sandgem Town.

"Professor!" Dawn called after him. "Wait for me please!" She started after Rowan, stopping in front of Michael. "I'm sorry... Please let me pass." Dawn continued walking after the professor.

"How do you like that?" Barry asked. "Prof. Rowan's really nice. On TV, he seems so stern and scary." Barry and Michael turned to face each other, and Barry got very excited and rushed to stand directly in front of Michael. "Heheh, Michael! We've both got Pokemon now."

"Why do I have a sneaking suspicion about our new Pokemon?" Michael asked.

"There's only one thing to do, right?" Barry asked, completely ignoring Michael's question. "Are you up for this?"

"You know what," Michael said, "sure. I'd like to see what Chimchar's able to do."

"I've always wanted to say this..." Barry started. He then raised his voice with his usual enthusiasm and extra confidence. "The time has finally come! Michael! I challenge you to a battle!"

Both Michael and Barry took a couple steps backward, and both readied their individual Poke Balls.

"Go, Piplup!" Barry shouted, throwing Piplup's Poke Ball. In a flash, Piplup was standing across from Michael.

"Go, Chimchar!" Michael mirrored Barry, sending out Chimchar to battle Barry's Piplup.

"Let's do this!" Barry called.

"Chimchar, use Scratch!" Chimchar ran up to Piplup and swiped her right hand across Piplup, inflicting light damage.

"Piplup, use Growl!" Piplup let out a small growl, lowering Chimchar's Attack. "What in the...?! That one hurt, you!"

"Well, this is a Pokemon battle, right? Now, Scratch again, Chimchar!" Chimchar repeated her Scratch attack, doing slightly less damage due to Piplup's previous Growl.

"Now attack Chimchar with Pound!" Piplup ran up to Chimchar and struck her with his right flipper, slightly damaging Chimchar.

"Let's keep up with Scratch!" Chimchar once again Scratched Piplup, dropping Piplup's HP to about half.

"Another Growl!" Piplup again Growled, dropping Chimchar's Attack a second time. "No way! We can keep going! This is where we hit our stride!"

"Another Scratch!" Chimchar's fourth scratch left Piplup with about a third of his original HP left.

"One more Growl!"

"Time for another Scratch!" The latest scratch dealt the least amount of damage yet, dropping Piplup to about a quarter HP left.

"Growl!" Chimchar's Attack dropped yet again.

"One more Scratch!" Piplup's HP dropped again to below a quarter.

"Another Growl!"

"Another Scratch!" Piplup took very little damage.

"Another Growl!"

"Scratch again!" Piplup's HP dropped to a dangerous level.

"Use Pound!" Piplup struck Chimchar a second time.

"One more Scratch!" Piplup's HP fell to an extremely dangerous level.

"Another Pound!" Piplup got in a third strike.

"Finish it up with Scratch!" Chimchar Scratched Piplup again, causing it to faint. Knocking out Piplup gave Chimchar enough experience to grow to level 6 (max HP 21, Attack 12, Defense 10, Sp. Atk 13, Sp. Def 12, Speed 12).

"What are you saying?! We ended up losing?!"

"Well, that's what happened, Barry."

Both boys recalled their Pokemon before placing the Poke Balls in their bags.

"Whew!" Barry exhaled. "Let's go home. I'm beat after that battle. My Pokemon needs rest, too."

"Agreed," Michael said.

"See ya, Michael!"

"Later."

Afterword, both went home.

OOC: So, yeah, not exactly my best work, but it's a start. And with a few exceptions pre-battle (not counting Michael's dialog, which is, naturally, entirely new and has some jabs at Barry's personality), I did rip the dialog directly from the game (along with Barry's Piplup being male and Michael's Chimchar being female (ah, the joys of randomness) and Chimchar's leveled-up stats). I admit that I got lazy here, but it's late, and there's a lot of ground to cover before we're done. And the OOC thread will be coming the next time I log on.

Last edited:
Jewel stretched as she woke up for the new day looking outside of her window she smiled. Today she started her journey as a trainer. It was going to be difficult but she could do it as she believed in herself, and would/did believe in her pokemon.

"Shinx," a small voice called out. Jewel smiled at the young electric type laying on her bed. Diamond her shinx was a gift from her mother about a month ago. He wasn't very strong yet but was at the perfect level to start a journey with. Jewel dressed in her usual outfit as she went downstairs with Diamond.

"Morning mom, morning Raikiri," she greeted her mother and her luxray Raikiri. Raikiri was the father of Diamond. She still remembered him and her mother presenting the egg and her raising and hatching it into Diamond.

"I still can't believe that today you are starting your journey. Its going to be so lonely without the two of you here."

"I know mom but sitting around Jubilife is too boring plus anyways I'm going to return through here after I get a badge from the Oreburgh Gym. I figure I'll catch a pokemon that can learn fighting, grass, or water type moves along the way before I challenge the gym."

"Well I wish you the best of luck, and be careful. Now eat breakfast before you go," her mother told her placing food down in front of her and Diamond.

The two quickly ate saying goodbye as they ran out the door and onto route 203 to start their journey.

Chimchar was upstairs, sleeping in Michael's bed after the battle against Barry's Piplup, while Michael was just finishing eating lunch. His mom finished cleaning up the kitchen and walked over to the TV, Michael following her.

"What's the matter, dear?" she asked.

"Well," Michael started, "Barry and I met Prof. Rowan on Route 201 before Barry could drag me into the tall grass leading to Sandgem Town, got a Pokemon from him after he gave us a rough warning, and had our first Pokemon battle, which I won. Chimchar's upstairs resting right now."

"Wow. That's what happened to you? You and Barry are lucky to have met Prof. Rowan. Imagine if you didn't... I wouldn't like to think what the wild Pokemon might have done to you two. Michael, go see Prof. Rowan, and thank him properly for your Pokemon. His lab is in Sandgem Town, isn't it?"

"Yeah, that's why Barry tried to try another one of his crazy schemes."

"Well, now that you have your own Pokemon, the tall grass won't be so threatening."

"All right. I'll get Chimchar and head there now." Michael rushed upstairs to his room. Chimchar was just waking up when Michael entered, and she jumped down off of Michael's bed before starting the flame. Michael slipped his shoes, jacket, and hat on before grabbing Chimchar's Poke Ball. As Michael was about to recall Chimchar into it, he decided not to, shrinking it down and dropping it into his jacket pocket. "Want to walk with me for a while, Chimchar?"

Chimchar was visibly excited and ran out of the room, stopping at the stairs. When Michael caught up, she looked up at him. Realizing what Chimchar was trying to tell him, Michael picked her up and carried her downstairs. Chimchar rode on Michael's shoulder all the way down, then wanted back on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. The two walked out the front door, Michael waving to his mom. Together, the two walked back out to Route 201, where they saw Barry waiting. Chimchar automatically got ready for a battle, but Michael calmed her down.

"Hey, Barry!" Michael called to his friend.

"Too slow!' Barry exclaimed. "Michael, I'm sick of waiting! I'm going to go see Prof. Rowan so I can thank him properly. So, I had this great idea. Listen up, OK?"

"How come whenever you have a 'great idea'," Michael asked, "a little voice in the back of my head says 'run away'?"

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"Anyway, my great idea. You know that lake where we always play at?"

"Yeah. What about it?"

"You know how they say a legendary Pokemon lives there?"

"Yeah. You want to go catch it, right?"

"You guessed it! Let's catch that Pokemon. That'll make Prof. Rowan happy. I'm sure of that!"

"It might."

"Me and you together, we've got nothing to fear!" Together, Michael, Chimchar, and Barry walked to Lake Verity. Just outside the lake area, Barry stopped the trio. "All right! We're at the lake! Get ready, because we're capturing that legendary Pokemon. Trust me on this one. It's here. It even says so on the sign!"

Before taking another step, Chimchar looked worried about something and shivered.

"What's up, Chimchar?" Michael asked. Chimchar patted the pocket Michael put her Poke Ball in a few times. "Okay, I understand." Michael took the ball out and recalled Chimchar, then turned to Barry. "This might not be the best idea, Barry."

"Nonsense," he said. "We can catch that legendary Pokemon easy! Now let's go!"

The two continued on, Barry practically dragging Michael along for the ride. Near the lake's entrance, they stopped, Barry seeing something.

"What's going on...?"

Near the lake's edge, a man with blue hair stood looking out over Lake Verity. "...The flowing time... ...The expanding space... I will make it all mine one day... Cyrus is my name. Remember it... Until then, sleep while you can, legendary Pokemon of the lake bed..." The man then turned around and walked toward the lake entrance. He stopped right in front of the two boys. "Allow me to pass. Step aside."

Barry moved to his right, allowing the mysterious Cyrus to walk between them and out of sight. Barry then stepped right back next to Michael, and they both looked back the way they came.

"What was that about?" Barry wondered. "Weird guy..." The two turned to face each other. "OK, Michael! Let's catch that legendary Pokemon!"

"Kyauuun!" a cry sounded from far out in the lake.

Barry looked extremely excited and rushed toward the lake a few paces. He then rushed back to Michael's side and gasped excitedly. "Did you hear that, Michael?!"

"Yeah, I did!"

"That was the legendary Pokemon crying! That had to be it! OK! This is our chance! Let's catch it!"

"Hold on! I just realized something! We don't have anything with us to catch it!"

"...Wait! What...?! We don't have anything on us!"

"Yeah, I just said that."

"You know, Poke Balls! P-O-K-accent-E Balls! If we don't have those, we can't catch Pokemon or take them around with us! ...Do you think Prof. Rowan'd give us some if we asked him?"

"Maybe. We were going to go see him anyway."

"You know, you remember what he said, don't you?"

"Didn't you hear what I just said?"

"He said to visit him at his lab if we needed anything."

"OK, now you're being rediculous with the not hearing me."

"OK, Michael! I'll race you!"

"Whatever, Barry."

"First one to the professor's lab in Sandgem Town rules!"

"I don't really care what happens..." Barry took off running mid-sentence. "And he's gone, leaving me talking to myself, sounding crazy. Why do I always put up with him?"

Michael left the lake and continued on to Sandgem Town. While walking along the route, Michael was lucky and didn't encounter any Pokemon. Near Sandgem Town, a girl who worked at the Pokemon Mart gave him a Potion as a free sample. Upon ariving in Sandgem Town, Dawn was standing in front of the lab to meet Michael.

"Oh! There you are! Please, come with me! The professor is waiting!" Dawn led Michael to the lab, where they both stood staring at it for a second. "This is it! Our Pokemon Research Lab!"

"Doesn't look like much from out here, but I'm expecting it to be fairly impressive inside."

Dawn nudged Michael's arm with her elbow. "Let's go..."

Before either of them could move, Barry came rushing out at top speed. Michael was just able to brace himself for the coming impact, which Barry came through with a thud, knocking himself down. He got up a few seconds later. "What the..." Dusting himself off, he noticed who he bumped into. "Oh, it's you, Michael! That old guy... He's not scary so much as he is totally out there!"

"What are you...?" Michael started.

"Aww, it doesn't matter, Michael. I'm out of here. See you later!" Barry then zipped off to the east.

"Wow, what was that?" Daws asked incredulously. "Your friend sure seems to be really impatient."

"Yeah, you have no idea."

"Well, anyway..." Dawn continued. "Let's go inside."

OOC: sorry, I don't have the time/energy to type so much.

IC: Kathy awoke with a start, the Starly chirping in the breeze. She looked down at Turtwig. She remembered when she had first got her from Prof. Rowan. Looking out the window, she recalled the weather looking like it did today. She looked over at the mirror on her dresser. She must have tossed and turned, her hair was a mess. She walked over and combed through it, placing a flower in her hair. She changed into her usual skirt, a bit fancy but still practical. Just as she was slipping on her nylons, she heard her mother call out, "Kathy! Blade just called me! He wants you to meet him at his house! Said it was urgent." She looked down at Turtwig. "Tur?" she mumbled. Kathy put her in her ball, and ran downstairs.

After dashing to Blade's house, she had but a moment until Blade, with his orange cap almost falling off his head, ducked her down. After a second of confusion, he motioned out the window at a group of kids at the lab.

"Do you know who these people are, Kathy?"

"...Who?"

"No, that was a serious question."

"No. Why are you so concerned about them?"

"They're trainers."

"They come in all the time from Route 202."

"They came from 201."

"Wait, Twinleaf town? I thought they didn't have any trainers."

"It looks like they just got their Pokemon from the Professor."

At that moment, Blade's Chimchar sprang from the couch onto Kathy. She screamed, but then started to laugh. He was such a playful Pokemon. He climbed down and jumped onto Blade's lap. Kathy brushed through the part of her hair the he had hit, then released Turtwig.

"Say, Turtwig, you wanna go meat the new Trainers?"

"You too, Chimchar?"

Both of their Pokemon nodded. They scooped them up and ran out to see the visitors from Twinleaf Town.

As Dawn was closing the lab door, she noticed two kids running toward the lab. Sighing, she let them both, followed by their Pokemon, into the lab behind Michael. As they passed, she heard them talking exictedly about something.

"Bigger welcoming committee than I thought," Michael said.

"I think they came to meet you," Dawn replied. "I believe I heard one of them say 'Trainers' when they passed me. Anyway, we'll have time for that later. Right now, we should go see Prof. Rowan. Follow me."

Together, Michael, Dawn, the two kids, and their Pokemon walked over to the main lab area, where Rowan was just finishing speaking to someone on the phone. Hanging it up, he turned to face the group.

"Well, well," the professor started, "look who's here. Michael, was it? And I see you've met two of our own local new Trainers, as well. I guess we could take a couple minutes to let every get to know each other."

"Professor!" Dawn said, slightly surprised. "What about what you wanted to ask him about?"

"That can wait until our guests can properly introduce themselves to each other, Dawn. It's important to make all kinds of friends, human and Pokemon alike."

Michael turned around to face the other two. "So, yeah, my name's Michael. I just came in from Twinleaf Town."

Jewel laughed as she walked along Route 203 watching Diamond attempt to catch some Starly and Bidoof via pouncing. "You should save that for when you learn spark!" she called out to him, laughing at his expression at another failed attempt. The pokemon knew he was young and playing, and therefore did not attack him as he ran around the grass while Jewel was on the road. She was so engrossed in watching him that she did not see the girl in front of her, knocking both down.

"Hey watch where you're going!" the girl yelled at her.

"Sorry," Jewel apologized to the other girl.

"Sorry? Sorry? You think sorry is going to get the dirt off of my clothes?"

Jewel was taken aback by the girl's attitude before standing up. "Then you shouldn't be traveling missy," she shot back at her. Missy being a nickname she called rude females in reference to and old kindergarten classmate of hers that thought herself better than everyone. Jewel could never stand her.

"Ah so you know who I am. Good. Now tell me your name so I can send you the bill for my clothing."

Jewel's jaw dropped as she realize the girl in front of her was the one from kindergarten. "Wow. I never thought I would see you here, Missy," she bit out. "I'm surprised you don't remember me.

"Why would I- you're the girl without the father because your daddy abandoned you." At this comment a growling erupted from next to Jewel. Diamond had come to her side and was growling at the other girl. "Please tell me that thing has its shots," she said pointing at him with a disgusted face.

"You know what lets battle right here right now. I'm sure you have a pokemon on you," Jewel challenged, enraged by the other girls words.

"Fine go wurmple!" Missy called out sending out a red bug type much to the surprise of Jewel.

Jewel backed up a little for the battle before calling out the first command. "Tackle Diamond!" The small electric type slammed into the the bug type knocking it back a few feet.

"Poison sting!" Wurmple fired glowing purple needles hitting the cub harshly. He was not going to let that get him down as Jewel ordered leer which with a glare caused the wurmple's defense to lower as he hit Diamond with another poison sting. Diamond slammed into the bug as it hit him with string shot. This was not enough to slow him down though as with one more tackle the wurmple was down. "Ugh pathetic," Missy said returning him and walking away.

"Well then...we won Diamond!" Jewel cheered hugging her partner as they started walking along the route again.

Kathy was about to speak, but was cut off by Blade declaring "I'm Blade, this is Kathy. We live here. Why are you here?" As he asked more questions, Kathy noticed a sour-looking girl walk into town. Kathy walked over to her.

"Hi! I'm Kathy! What's wrong."

"Well, with that out of the way, to business. Michael, let's have a look at your Pokemon." Michael let Chimchar out of her Poke Ball. "Hmm... I see... This Pokemon seems to be rather happy." Michael dropped Chimchar's Poke Ball into his jacket pocket as she moved over to his side. "Hm! Entrusting you with that Chimchar was no mistake, it seems!"

"Thank you, Professor!" Michael said.

"Well, would you like to give her a nickname?"

Chimchar seemed very excited about it. "You really want one, don't you?" Michael asked. "All right! You've got it! Now, what should it be..." Michael saw Chimchar's small flame and got an idea. "I know! How about 'Inferno'?" Chimchar jumped up and down excitedly, a big smile on her face. "All right! From now on, I'll call you Inferno."

"I think that's a very nice nickname for a Chimchar," Dawn said.

Rowan cleared his throat. "When I first saw you two about step into the tall grass without Pokemon," he said, "I was shocked. I was astounded by these foolhardy children. But now, you've astounded me in an entirely different way. Already, there is a bond growing between you and that Pokemon. I feel privileged to have met you. I'm sure Chimchar feels the same way about you. That's why I'll ask you to cherish that Chimchar of yours."

"I'm so glad that you're kind toward Pokemon!" Dawn added. "If you weren't, I'd have to... Oh, I just can't say it..."

"Er-hem! Let's move on to the main topic. There is something I want you to do for me. In fact, Kathy and Blade, you can help, too. Allow me to properly introduce myself first. My name, as you know, is Rowan. I study Pokemon. First of all, I want to know exactly what kinds of Pokemon live in the Sinnoh region. To do so, it is necessary to collect data using the Pokedex. This is what I wish to ask of you. I want to entrust you all with these Pokedexes. Will you use them to record data on all the Pokemon in Sinnoh for me?"

"Of course, Professor!" Michael said.

"Sounds like fun," Kathy added.

"I'm in," Blade finished.

"Hm!" Rowan continued. "Good answers!" The professor handed Michael, Kathy, and Blade each a Pokedex. "That Pokedex is a very high-tech device. It will automatically record data on every kind of Pokemon you encounter. Michael, Kathy, Blade, I ask that you go everywhere and meet every kind of Pokemon in this region!"

"I've got one, too!" Dawn said.

"When you walked up Route 201 with your Pokemon, Michael, what did you feel?" Rowan asked.

"Great, like we were going off on a grand adventure together," Michael replied.

"I've lived for 60 long years," Rowan continued. "Even now, I get a thrill when I'm with a Pokemon. Now, you should know that there are countless Pokemon in this world. That means there are just as many thrills waiting for you out there! Now go! Michael, Kathy, Blade, your grand adventure begins right now!"

"The Pokemon that I met for the first time was a Turtwig!" Dawn added. "If you would have chosen a Turtwig on Route 201, we'd have the same Pokemon now! Not that it matters, but... Anyway, I'm Dawn. I also help the professor add pages to the Pokedex. So, in a sense, I'm just like you three. I just got a little head start on you, that's all. I'll be happy to teach you things. Glad to meet all of you!"

Dawn walked out of the lab, and the others started to follow her, but Rowan held Michael back. "There is one more small favor I'd like to ask of you, Michael."

"What is it, Professor?"

Rowan pulled out a small box. "When you came in, I received a call from an aquaintance in Jubilife City. Her daughter left on her own journey this morning, and will not be coming to Sandgem Town. Therefore, I would like to ask you to deliver this Pokedex to her."

"Yeah, I'll be able to do that."

"Thank you, Michael." Rowan handed Michael the box. "You will likely meet her in Oreburgh City. Look for a girl with a Shinx following her. If you see her mother, you may be able to get a better description from her."

"All right. I'll be on the lookout for her. Thanks again, Professor!" Michael quickly caught up with the others and soon left the lab.

Kathy smiled down at her new dex. It was so shiny and new. She turned it on an viewed the entry for Turtwig. After browsing around with its cry, forms, area, and other miscellaneous data, she looked up at Blade, who was finishing up his browsing of Chimchar. She grinned at him.

"Wanna battle?" She said.

"Heck Yeah!" He responded.

She took out the ball holding Turtwig and threw it out with a shout. Blade did the same.

"Turtwig, Tail Whip!"

"Chimchar, Tackle!"

After scratching off the dust from the Tackle, Turtwig did as she was told. She whipped her tail cutely, and Kathy could see it was getting to him.

"Tail Whip agian!"

"You use Tail Whip, too!"

The Pokemon sat there, both flipping their tails around to pacify the other.

"Now, Tackle, Turtwig!"

"You do the same!"

The two wrestled each other, though from the two Tail Whips, Chimchar seemed to be on the bottom.

"Finish it! Tackle!"

"Try another Tail Whip, Chimchar!"

After fruitlessly trying to appeal to Turtwig, Chimchar was on the receiving end of the turtle Pokemon's Tackle. It fell over, fainted.

"Yeah! I won!" Proclaimed Kathy. Wanting to be a good sport, she added, "You were good, though."

"Thanks. Let's do this again some time."

Noticing that she was hungry, Kathy inquired, "Wanna get some lunch at my place?"

"Sure! The other two can come, too."

"No thanks," Michael said, "I ate before I left for Sandgem Town."

Before anyone could continue further, the lab door burst open again.

"Michael!"

Michael, Dawn, Kathy, and Blade all turned toward the lab, where Prof. Rowan was standing in the doorway.

"I have something good here," Rowan continued. "You should take this as well. Unfortunately, I only have one, so I trust that you will all accept it equally." He handed Michael a disc and a capsule. "Those two things are a Technical Machine pair. The disc contains the move Return. The capsule contains the machine itself. Using a Technical Machine, or TM for short, teaches a move instantly to a Pokemon. You first set up the machine by pressing the button on the capsule and tossing it to the ground. Then you insert the disc into the slot and place the Pokemon you wish to teach the move to in the chamber. Beyond that, I am still unsure about how they work to teach the move to the Pokemon. As for that move, Return gains power the more friendly your Pokemon is with you. It's up to you, of course, if you want to use that TM or not. I'll send you off with the wish that your journey will be fun."

With those final words, Rowan returned to the lab and closed the door.

"Oh, wow," Dawn said. "I didn't know the professor had TMs. Was he a Trainer when he was young?"

"He's just full of surprises, isn't he?" Michael asked.

"I guess. OK, Michael, I'll act as your mentor. Since Kathy and Blade are from here, I'm sure they know all about what I'm going to show you, right?"

"Anyway," Dawn continued, "I've got a bit more experience than you three as a Trainer and as the professor's assistant, Michael."

"Yeah," Michael said, "I guess I could use some advice here."

"OK!" Dawn exclaimed. "Follow me!" Dawn led Michael east from the lab and stopped in front of the building next door. "This building with the red roof is the Pokemon Center. It's the place that heals Pokemon that have been hurt in battle. You can find a Pokemon Center in most towns." The two then continued east to another building. "The building with the blue roof over here is the Poke Mart. It's a shop where you can buy and sell items and medicine. Michael, since you're a novice Trainer, you won't be able to buy many kinds of merchandise. Don't let it bother you! You can buy more kinds of things as you get stronger as a Trainer."

"Wow, this is just so much to take in all at once," Michael said. "I can't wait to start my journey!"

"Oh, that's right!" Dawn said. "Michael... Don't you need to let your family know that you're going to be helping Prof. Rowan with the Pokedex? You may need to go far away, so I think you should let someone know."

"Yeah, I really should. Thanks, Dawn!"

Michael started to run back home real quick, but Dawn stopped him. "Oh, but before you go, heal up your Pokemon at the Pokemon Center. It will be a lot less scary that way. OK, bye now!" With that, Dawn left Sandgem Town out to Route 202.

"You know," Michael said to himself, "Inferno hasn't battled since she defeated Barry's Piplup, and she rested well back at home, so we'll skip the Pokemon Center here." Michael quickly ran out of Sandgem Town toward home.

After some lunch (sandwhiches and juice) Kathy and Blade walked to the mart to stock up. They both bought some potions and balls. They then proceeded on the route to Jubilife City. Along the way, a Bug Catcher challenged them to a Doublle Battle.

"Go, Bidoof and Starly!" He shouted.

Kathy and Blade both instructed their Pokemon to use Tail Whip; Turtwig on Bidoof and Chimchar on Starly. The opponent then has his partners use Tackle. Bidoof's attack barely missed Turtwig, but Chimchar almost fainted from the Starly's. After that, the Bug Catcher's Pokemon were wiped out by Kathy and Blade's Tackles.

"Ooh, Chimchar looks hurt. I'm gonna run him back to the PC," Blade said.

"OK, I'll wait somewhere around here," Kathy responded.

After Blade had left, Kathy noticed Dawn up the Route a bit. She approached her, wanting to make conversation. "Hey, I like your skirt!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom