• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon platinum question

Silentlysilent

Reaction score
I could never get through diamond with out quitting. My friend told me I should play pokemon platinum and that I would enjoy it more. I just wanted to get feed back and see what everyone else thinks about this.

I could never get through diamond with out quitting. My friend told me I should play pokemon platinum and that I would enjoy it more. I just wanted to get feed back and see what everyone else thinks about this.
Could you elaborate on why couldn't finish Diamond? Platinum may have the same issues that are giving you trouble. Thanks.

Some of the problems:

Didn't seem like there was alot of variety (pokemon)

The animations seemed slow

The story seemed a bit lackluster.

1. Platinum does have a larger regional at about 210 Pokémon vs. Diamond's 151 Pokémon.
  2. This is probably going to be the same with Platinum. I've heard that Platinum's animations are slightly faster than Diamond's, but I have no confirmation of that and I didn't notice difference when I played.
  3. I do know that Platinum does have some changes related to the story, including a whole new area that is pretty different from every other area in the game, a few new characters, and a couple changes regarding some of the events. However, I don't really recall any specifics and I don't think there's any major changes outside of the addition of that new area which, while cool, is admittedly barebones as there's no wild Pokémon to be found there.

Sounds like it got a bit better for the third version. I might pick it up then. Maybe

Honestly I feel like Platinum is a little overrated among the fandom imo. It has a slightly better plot than Diamond and Pearl and slightly better graphics for the overworld but at the end of the day it's not really that great. If you didn't finish Diamond then you probably won't appreciate Platinum though. :x

This is probably going to be the same with Platinum. I've heard that Platinum's animations are slightly faster than Diamond's, but I have no confirmation of that and I didn't notice difference when I played.

Someone made this comparison video showing the difference in animation speeds between the two games. Walking and running speeds are the same, but surfing is almost twice as fast. The battles are faster too, but the difference is quite subtle.

I do know that Platinum does have some changes related to the story, including a whole new area that is pretty different from every other area in the game, a few new characters, and a couple changes regarding some of the events. However, I don't really recall any specifics and I don't think there's any major changes outside of the addition of that new area which, while cool, is admittedly barebones as there's no wild Pokémon to be found there.

I like how Platinum fleshes out Cyrus' character a little more. The story is still much the same until you reach the game's climax, however.

At the end of the day, Platinum isn't that different from Diamond and Pearl, but there's some small improvements that make it a more enjoyable experience. (One detail that I really appreciate is that the Pokemon all have proper back sprite animations, instead of just jumping or wiggling around.) I think Platinum is worth giving a go, but alternatively you could wait for Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, which will no doubt have much faster animations as well as some "quality of life" improvements. We don't yet know what the Pokemon selection will be like in these remakes, though.

I was in the same boat as you with Diamond. Couldn't finish it and ended up just transferring high-level mons from Emerald to blow through the last bit of the game. Platinium definitely helped for me, the speed is at least tolerable and the little improvements do help. It was at least more playable for me.

Some of the problems:

Platinium is definitely better with variety. It's been so long since I touched Diamond that I can't remember just how bad it was, but you at least have more than one choice of fire types if you didn't pick Chimchar and can actually get Eevee/Leafeon/Glaceon before post game.

Animations and I think the game in general are at least a bit faster, like others said. Still slow enough that I'm looking forward to BDSP for that reason alone, but it's playable.

Story is like 95% the same. There's some minor new stuff to Cyrus and other stuff and the climax is better though.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom