• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Professor Discussion

Oh Professor Kukui being hot, and yet, did anyone think his wife Burnet is much older than him? Mostly cuz of her hair color, which was almost white.

Have you ever played Pokemon Dream Radar way back in Gen V? Burnet had white hair back then, too. So, it's just a typical anime coloration for hair. She's probably no older than Kukui himself. The white hair is just an anime/game trope.

What do you guys think about the idea of a professor who is a child prodigy? That would be something new, as new as a female professor was back in BW era. Could be something like Iris Watson from Dai Gyakuten Saiban (the games are even both set in England!).
Honestly I hate the child prodigy trope. There's enough children being in positions of power in pokemon (gym leaders... literally ever trial captain has to be younger and they get booted from the position when they hit 20... freaking Iris as champion). Plus I'd rather not have a kid as young/younger than my character handing me a pokemon and then telling me to collect all the pokemans for their totes awesome new pokedex. Like no, brat. You do it. You aint too old to go out and learn. Plus your brain hasn't even come close to being fully developed. Get in this locker nerd. Scottish lass aint havin none o' yer wee smarty bullcrap

Also a lot of child genius characters tend to be portrayed as insufferable douche canoes. While it could be done well we could also end up with Dexter or Mandark from Dexter's lab or, Gods forbid, Sheldon from Big Bang Theory/That other show with him as a kid that exists for some reason and makes him even more insufferable.

Honestly I hate the child prodigy trope. There's enough children being in positions of power in pokemon (gym leaders... literally ever trial captain has to be younger and they get booted from the position when they hit 20... freaking Iris as champion). Plus I'd rather not have a kid as young/younger than my character handing me a pokemon and then telling me to collect all the pokemans for their totes awesome new pokedex. Like no, brat. You do it. You aint too old to go out and learn. Plus your brain hasn't even come close to being fully developed. Get in this locker nerd. Scottish lass aint havin none o' yer wee smarty bullcrap

Also a lot of child genius characters tend to be portrayed as insufferable douche canoes. While it could be done well we could also end up with Dexter or Mandark from Dexter's lab or, Gods forbid, Sheldon from Big Bang Theory/That other show with him as a kid that exists for some reason and makes him even more insufferable.
Fair point. Douche canoes aren't fun. Honestly, the only example that's well done I can think of right now is Purah in BotW. And technically [redacted for spoilers]

Personally, I only like Oak, Elm and Birch.

Well, in my opinion, the only professor I don't care about is Elm, thanks to his lack of presence. It almost feels like he was a last minute addition and seeing how Oak and Blue were the ones that gave you your starter in the Spaceworld Demo if you force a New Game, it's pretty easy to see why I came to that conclusion.

Okay, maybe I also dislike Sycamore because he apparently knew that something was wrong with Lysandre and didn't do anything.

Professor Sycamore said:
But what I really wanted was for him to put his ego aside and lead everything to greater heights. I never had this discussion with him, though. So I'm partially responsible for this.

Personally, I only like Oak, Elm and Birch.

genwunner much?

So, when are we gonna get a professor named Acacia? That name is right there for the taking, plus, it'll be nice to include some tree names that are not known much.

Well, not that many people have heard of Kukui trees, at least in the continental US. At first, I thought they just ditched the trees as they did with the gyms. And anyone who's played Minecraft has heard of acacia trees.

Okay, maybe I also dislike Sycamore because he apparently knew that something was wrong with Lysandre and didn't do anything.
It mostly seems like he underestimated how far gone Lysandre was, which is... interesting. But I blame that more on the badly executed plot of XY than the plot elements, cause I do think it had everything. It's just a badly told story...

genwunner much?
Nah, Hoenn and Johto are my jam. And Unova. Also, I doubt genwunners have even heard of Birch xD

I do like Gen I though. Especially the Pokémon roster.

Last edited:
My favorite's professor Rowan. He seems like such a badass grandpa. Classy badass grandpa. Look at this man.
Spr_DP_Rowan.png

THIS MAN ROCKS THE VEST.

Go out and study you some pokemon, kids. What's that? Did you just tell him no?!
"... ... ... ... I can stand here without speaking for hours. I'm a very patient man. Let me ask you again, <player>."

Google says it's an 'anti social youth dressed in sportswear'. Basically a stereotype. Let us hope the professor isn't treated like that. If anything, I'd expect another 'team' like Skull being that sort of thing.

Google says it's an 'anti social youth dressed in sportswear'. Basically a stereotype. Let us hope the professor isn't treated like that. If anything, I'd expect another 'team' like Skull being that sort of thing.
Oh, I know those guys. Yeah, I don't think a professor would be like that.

Have you ever played Pokemon Dream Radar way back in Gen V? Burnet had white hair back then, too. So, it's just a typical anime coloration for hair. She's probably no older than Kukui himself. The white hair is just an anime/game trope.
Professor Burnet is from US-based regions (Unova and Alola), so this makes sense since Unova and Alola are cultural melting-pot regions.

Female professor who dresses Victorian and has a tea addiction and gardening hobby.
Her backyard has all the trees which the previous professors are all named after.

Back
Top Bottom