• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Pronunciations

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeeJoee

3 Cheers for Pokémon!
Reaction score
Well, lately me and my friend have been arguing over how to pronounce a Pokémon's name. He reckons it's "DYE-AL-GAH" after even the anime has called it "DEE-AL-GAH", there are also cases were I don't even know if I pronounced a Pokémon's name right or not. Well my main point is I want to add Pokémon name pronunciations to each species page. Since I don't know EVERY single Pokémon pronunciation I'll need some help, but in the meantime where can I write the pronunciation down? I've been thinking about next to the name on top of the image of the species in square brackets [like this]. For example Pikachu [Pee-Kah-Choo]
(I want it in an easy to read fashion to the point where a 6 year old could read it)Yeah... I know everyone could pronounce Pikachu, but it's Pokémon like Illumise or Metagross that can be commonly mispronounced.

Last edited:
I would like to have a repository of names being said audibly in various languages, but I realize that's unrealistic.

There is a small discussion of this at Bulbapedia talk:project Pokédex. The idea has support. We just need to find an official source for the 4th-gen Pokémon.

Incidently, my official handbook gives PEEK-UH-CHEW for the electric mouse. And while I agree on using that format, it would be a nice addition if we could also have the phonetic alphabet version.

Last edited:
I got the pronunciation of the first 151 Pokemon in MP3 format. About the rest of them . . . Dialga should have been DYE-AL-GAH since it refers to Diamond, but it is "Di-al-ga" or "Di-a-ru-ga" with Japanese pronunciation (i in Dialga is like in words like it and inch so it's not like in I or like ee in green.)

I got the pronunciation of the first 151 Pokemon in MP3 format. About the rest of them . . . Dialga should have been DYE-AL-GAH since it refers to Diamond, but it is "Di-al-ga" or "Di-a-ru-ga" with Japanese pronunciation (i in Dialga is like in words like it and inch so it's not like in I or like ee in green.)

Yeah I agree DYE-AL-GAH does sound better but I don't tend to complain over how they're pronounced... but at least want to know.

I'm glad to see there are supporters of this :D.

...You know, I've always pronounced it Dee-Al-Jah.

Meh.

Phonetic pronounciations? Yes.

In some ad-hoc system? No. If you must use spelling that makes "sense" to English speakers, use something formalised like enPR. But I would rather have IPA with sound files.

Of course. It would have to be sensible. It couldn't be nonsense, and I never suggested that either.

Of course people will support this. Especially when there is Seaking, Slowking, and Slaking!

Those names aren't difficult to figure out how to pronounce them.

But really, the names seems to have quite a few different pronounciations throughout the various anime, games, and other stuff. I always try to pronounce them how the words they're made up of are.

Burning Question:

Is Pidgeot pronounced:
PIH-JEE-OT
or
PIH-JIT

Well all I know is that I think it's PID-JUT... well that's how the first Pokérap pronounced it. I don't really own any Pokémon handbook, so I rely on the anime for pronunciations. Another Pokémon my friends always pronounce wrong is Rayquaza, it's definitely RAY-QUAY-ZAH not RAY-QUAH-ZAH since in English when there is a "Qua" it's always pronounced as "QUAY" like Earthquake or Equator. The anime has confirmed RAY-QUAY-ZAH though, my friend still mispronounces it because he thinks the proper pronunciation is stupid -_-.

I agree with your friend there.

Ray-Quah-Zah for the win!

And also: Pid-Jot.

If I remember, there was one occasion when Rayquaza was pronounced 'Ray-quah-za'. It was 'Ray-quay-za' in Destiny Deoxys. Pidgeot is Pid-gee-ut (as in opt)...I think.

And Raichuu is rye-chew, so don't trust the dubbed version of PM Stadium; they say ray-chew. And Darkurai is daakurai (as in Japanese) or dark-kurai. I know there is only one k in the name (one ク in Japanese), but it's like wingull you know; wing-gull. See? It's because they fused two words, one that ends with what the other starts with. Some say dark-rai, though, and that sounds very strange to me, they don't even pronounce it that way in the movie. Some even say dark-ray and that's even more strange.

Erm, Dark-Ray is the only one that actually makes sense to me. After all, Rai would be pronounced Ray, and Dark is self explanatory.

The English phonetic alphabet is untrutworthy, I tell you.

Erm, Dark-Ray is the only one that actually makes sense to me. After all, Rai would be pronounced Ray, and Dark is self explanatory.

If so it's only the English name, not the Japanese.

"Rai" as in "Darkrai" is pronounced the very same as "Rai" as in "Raichu" and "Raikou."

"Rai" as in "Darkrai" is pronounced the very same as "Rai" as in "Raichu" and "Raikou."

Agreed.

Another pronunciation problem:
For Arceus,I've heard 5 different versions:eek:
ARE-KEY-US
ARE-KAY-US
ARE-SEE-IS
ARE-SAY-IS
ARE-SOOS (Rhymes with "Zeus")

Which is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back