• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Ranger - First Impressions

Sunain

Inactive Account
Reaction score
I pre-ordered Pokemon Ranger a while back, I have been looking forward to this game quite a bit, more so then Pokemon Emerald. (I still haven't beat it yet :zzz: ) Having played Pokemon Ranger for about an hour, I decided that I would write a quick review of the game so far. As my Japanese is limited, (I sit next to the dictionary), I won't focus too much on the story.

The Game
Pokemon Ranger is an action RPG for the Nintendo DS. In this game you start out as a rookie Pokemon Ranger and must travel the land helping out people & Pokemon eventually becoming a better Pokemon Ranger. Like in Mysterious Dungeon, the more missions you do, the higher your rank goes. You are recruited by the Ranger Leader of Ring Town in order to simply protect people, Pokemon & nature itself. However this is not done by battling people in the conventional Pokemon Battles. This is done by obtaining Pokemon and using their special powers to help do tasks all througout the land of Fiore. However things are not as easy as they seem, while you go around Fiore and help People & Ranger Leaders out, there is a group of people called Team Go-Go going around Fiore and causing problems and you need to stop them. Obtaining Pokemon is also completely different, instead of battling them, you take temporary control of them with a Capture Styler. Once obtained, you are capable of using them to help out once.

Luckly Pokemon Ranger uses Hiragana & Katakana like other Pokemon games, so it makes it a 'bit' easier for us non-fluent Japanese players to get a grasp of the games story and whats going on. The splash screen is the most impressive one I have seen so far in a Pokemon game. Unfortunately there is no easy way to take screenshots of Nintendo DS games. The PokeGear menu system reminded me of Secret of Mana's wheel interface, except static. I kept wanting to use the stylus on the top screen as well as it displays an active map with the pokemon in the nearby vicinity.

ranger_splash.jpg

Graphics
Well needless to say I was not very impressed, other then the intro screen. After playing Pokemon Dash and knowing what the Nintendo DS can do graphically, I was kind of disappointed. It's basically the same isometric view that we have been used to since the first Pokemon game. Sprite animations are noticibly better in the main game and the overall detail of the world is better then any Pokemon game to date. The other thing that bugged me was the top screen in Pokemon Ranger is black a lot of the time at the beginning of the game. It's not until I reached the Ranger HQ that I got my PokeGear and the top screen was active. The second screen, in my opinion, should be used at all times even if its like Animal Crossing and just shows the sky. That being said, it's not much better graphically then Pokemon Emerald in my opinion, but graphics don't make the game. I hope Pearl and Diamond will use a fully 3D engine as I am personally getting tired of the 2D sprite interface.

The Controls/Gameplay
This is the first RPG version of Pokemon to use the stylus. The stylus can be used to move the character around on the bottom screen. The D-pad can also be used at the same time, but I found that the stylus had better control for moving the character around.

The stylus's main use is to 'control' Pokemon. When you attempt to control a Pokemon, you must draw circle on the bottom touch screen rapidly until the Pokemon has been put under your control. This sounds easier then it is as the Pokemon is constantly moving around and using its attacks to stop your 'control barrier'. Your Capture Styler's 'control barrier' only has a certain number of hit points and that is registered at the top with a hit point bar.

Spoilers
One of the main differences in Ranger is that Pokemon roam around the screen. It really feels like a living Pokemon world now. Flying Pokemon in the air, ground Pokemon running around, ect. You also don't have to be adjacent to Pokemon or people to talk to them. You just use the stylus, click on them and the active person or pokemon is highlighted in yellow.

Overall Impression
Having only played the game for a bit and not all the way through, the one thing that struck me was this was quite original. The whole 'top' thing being part of the Pokemon controlling ability seemed more like Beyblade Battle Tops to me. So far I have enjoyed this game as it is a different take to the "Gotta Catch em All' style of gameplay. Hopefully we will see this game in English in the not to distance future. The whole Pokemon Ranger ideal seems to fit nicely into the Pokemon realm. I think Fmitsu hit the mark, its not 'Outstanding' or 'Revolutionary' but its fun and different. I'll do a full review if I beat the game soon.

Last edited:
If you guys have any question about the game, Ill try to answer them for you.

The big question: How is it that you deal with Team Go-go?

I've also wanted to know if you meet any of the Rangers under Erida and Kamuri. I know Joe has Aria.

ranger_map.jpg

ringutaun | リングタウン | Ring Town | Location of Ranger HQ
At least i think that is the proper translation.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was wondering about Team Go-Go too..

What exactly do they do to be "Evil"? Do they trap kids in hay stacks or something, or do you case them down to counter with one of your monsters, or what?

Also after looking at that screen.. is the world map completely open like the old pokemon games or is it more like Colosseum where you select and go to a town?

What's the audio like? Is their any recognizable tunes, and do the Pokemon make noises from the GBA games, or like Anime voices.

Do the Pokemon you have follow you around, and which Pokemon have you seen?

EDIT: I thought the game came out the 23rd?

Sunain said:
I hope Pearl and Diamond will use a fully 3D engine as I am personally getting tired of the 2D sprite interface.
I seriously doubt that, because they're going to have to fit 500+ Pokémon on a cartridge that only offers up to (AFAIK) 1 Gigibit, or 128MB, and if I'm not mistaken, sprites take up less space than 3D models. Combined with my belief that Game Freak has no experience with 3D graphics, I find it a lot more likely that DP will continue to use 2D graphics.

Curious if you ever get to use the Dewgong line, the Miltoic line, or (most likely of the bunch) the Eevees.

According to Serebii, the Seel line and the Feebas line all got the shaft, and so did Eevee, but all of the eons are in it.

Another Ranger is gonna add her two cents into the thread.

I'm currently going through the part where you have to capture several dragons. I'm only up to Salamance but this game is really challenging. Some missions are silly (no one should own THAT amount of Skitties!), but you really need to work on strategies if you don't want to have your Styler broken every single time.

You also have to look what Pokemon is/are available around you, especially if there's weakness concerned. Plusle didn't help me capture the Muk, but a convenient Drowzee nearby did.

The capture Styler is a very good addition to the game, I think. It's totally different from the usual Pokeball idea as you get to have your own team to assist your capture directly (as in not weakening its HP).

Team Go-Go. From what I've read so far they're some evil-doers who don't believe about "syncronizing with the Pokemon's feeling" that the Rangers believe. Their aim is to capture legendary Pokemon and they've been looking all over Fiore for 'em. They've robbed Prof. Shinbara's newly-but-not-completely-developed Super Styler in order to achieve that. As for what they want to do with the legendary Pokemon, it's unknown.

More if I can capture that stubborn 21-turns-requiring Salamance. = =

21 circles? @.@ The more of a challenge something is, the more it intrigues me. From what I read on Serebii, I thought that the missions get ever more complex. I love puzzles, too.

I have an interesting screenie I took from http://www.pokemon.jp/portal/trial/comicOpening.cfm This is a site having to do with manga about the W Mission. Evidently, Team Go-go's leaders are musically inclined. o.o

An update from yours truly. It's quite a spoiler and quite a large part is not on Serebii, or anywhere to my knowledge. So I coded it.

Argh, forget about the Salamence. Charizard is even worse. It spits fire, the fire lands on the ground, and if your Styler touches the fire, then oops! Too bad for you. I think I've died for at least 3 times just to capture that dragon...and I have to do it twice! (There's another mission where you have to capture the same Charizard again X_x)

Serebii made an error on the mission part, as I found out. You're gonna capture a Gyarados and 4 Magikarps at the end part where you have to accompany that entomophobic guy. Steelix is something later, it's right before you reached the final town (Win Town).

After Steelix you have to infiltrate into the Go-Go Base, they have these weird alarm system: If you stand on them when they're red, you got caught and sent back to the beginning. Spent the whole trip to school on it and almost missed the station I'm supposed to get off.

After going through mazes, transporters, Ralts and many Go-Go Goons, you'll face all the Go-Go- Siblings one by one. First against the girl Mirai and two Camerupts (easier than it looks). Then against ((insert name)) and the whole Slakoth line. Then ((another name)) with 2 Scythers and 1 Scizor (gotta love Plusle here). At the end it's their head with the whole Larvitar line (Pupitar is THE killer there).

The siblings would then bomb the place up and you're done there. The last mission would to stop that old gag (read: the honcho of Team Go-Go) from capturing the legendaries (of course, he's done that long before we can stop him). Here's where the Eons star. There's one door where you need Jolteon, Flareon and Vaporeon to open. Espeon and Umbreon, while not needed for puzzles, are also available for capture.

Entering the temple will have the last of the Team Go-Go trying to stop you. First you have 3 Linoones, follow by the 2nd stage of the three Johto starters (Bayleef, another argh!) then a Blastoise & Blaziken. After all these, you'll head to the peak and voila! All the legendary dogs are there.

I just skim the text very quickly, and it seems like the old gag want to have the legendary beasts so that he can cause disaster all over Fiore, THEN have his Team Go-Go doing the heroic job of saving people left and right and get praised in the place of the Rangers. All riiiiiiiight.

I'm still struggling through Raikou, who keeps running across the screen and broke my line (but thankfully, not the Styler itself).

More if I can actually make it to the endin'. >_>

So how many missions are there? I could be jumping the gun, because there could be more stuff unlocked by beating the game.

Filb has a video showing the first part of the game where you meet this Minun and the leader of the Ring Town Rangers. Minun runs into a Houndoom and Hayate shows you how to use the Capture Styler by capturing the Houndoom, then you do it on the Minun itself. I guess this is the same Minun that is your partner if you are a male. Then Hayate flies you to Ring Town on his Fearow in this neat cutscene-like thing. Man, this game looks like so much fun.

http://www.filb.de/content/games/nds/ranger/videos/pokemonranger-intro.zip

Yay! Finally cleared the first part of the game!

After failing for a couple times, I went back to near the entrance and captured two Donphans, a Grovyle and a Raichu (battery). Then I challenge again. My Styler got a few hits, but Donphan #1 helped me captured Raikou without much trouble.

Suicune coming next. First I thought it should be an easy one because Plusle (and it has been for the first few time). But this time, when I tried to Styler on it while it was paralyzed, I was one turn short near the end so I had to start all over again. Worse, it can create duplicates and shoot killing Aurora Beams. After a few struggles, it also got under my Styler.

Entei is the biggest pain, like most of the fire types I've encountered throughout the game. This time, it creates volcanoes around the screen, and it has fire surround its body, making it almost impossible to get near. Luckily, the fire will disappear as times goes on, but then it will start shooting fire occasionally. Donphan #2 didn't help much, because the earth-like lines make it easier to collide the volcanoes. At the end, it's Plusle and paralyzing again.

Like many villains, the honcho of Go-Go, Ragou, is actually Shinbara's old friend. But since Shinbara is too brilliant (according to Ragou), all his accomplishments were not recognized, while Shinbara become the Ranger's chief consultant. This made him wanting to start something more glorious than Rangers, therefore the Team Go-Go. (I skimed through this part very, VERY quickly, because my NDS was low on battery, so I might have missed something.)

After the credits, Hayate will enable you to carry your "friended" Pokemon outside of their habitat. And Shinbara would add a "Record" function to your Styler. I haven't got the chance to explore that little function though. And your counterpart will let your record his/her electric rat too. I.e., if you're girl, you'll get Minun's info as well.

GladiariaAlata,

Which GoGo siblings have which pokemon?
the girl owns 2 camerupts, what the others? I'm guessing (from the manga picture) that the head honcho is the one is the entirely black suit with the red electric guitar?
What about the one in the white suit? and the other one in the trench coat?

EDIT: If the head honcho is Ragou, then you only fight 3 of the 4 GoGo siblings in your earlier post?

Last edited:
redchesus said:
Which GoGo siblings have which pokemon?
the girl owns 2 camerupts, what the others? I'm guessing (from the manga picture) that the head honcho is the one is the entirely black suit with the red electric guitar?
What about the one in the white suit? and the other one in the trench coat?

EDIT: If the head honcho is Ragou, then you only fight 3 of the 4 GoGo siblings in your earlier post?

Note: I don't know for sure which sibling is which.

Mirai (the violin girl) owns two Camerupts
The drum guy got the Slakoth line
The first guitar guy got the Scythers/Scizor
And the 2nd guitar guy (he's the one in the black, I think) got the Larvitar line.

Ragou is the boss behind the siblings (like Maxie behind the Courtney and Tabitha). Note that I call him "old gag"--unlike the siblings, he's an old man (in purple). And you're against the 3 Johto beasts when you reach him. >_>

(60th post)

It's been almost one month already, I guess this wouldn't count as double-posting, right? >_> <_<

Alright, I'm taking a break from my endless stream of assignment and projects--A rather extended one as I'm only 2 Pokemon away from the Completion Emblem. Thanks to the Serebii.net guide, I'm able to locate most of the Pokemon and Capture them. Although I had a little trouble with Wobby the TR's Blue Punching Bag...

The two missing Pokemon are Fearow and Snorlax. The latter one is still napping near Wint City, and the former can't be unlocked until I beat Hayate's high score in Capture Area. Even my best was still 20000 away from his score, and I've only broken up 30000 once. T_T

I won't be able to play much until the dreaded finals end...Hopefully I can complete the Recorder then!!! ((Bumps fist into air))

I finally got the Pokemon Ranger guide (Jap)! Cost me a fortune but now I finally get to know how to beat Hayate's high score!

At first, I followed the Serebii.net's advice and tried to capture 2 Pokemon at the same time after the 3rd rank. But there's always a 20000-point distance...until I learn the time secret from the book.

Everytime you catch a Pokemon, the time increased is based on the circles you've drawn around the Pokemon AFTER the circles needed for that Pokemon. The more you draw, the more time you can get. The maximum extention would be 10 seconds.

For example, there's a Mudkip on the field. It needs 3 circles and I try to capture it. After the required 3 circles, I didn't release the pen and keep drawing. I released after I draw 5 more circles. So I get 5 seconds extended instead.

So, when you're on the first two ranks, try to draw as many circles as you can and keep the time at/above 2:00. If it's the chibi yellow rat (read: Pichu), try to aim for the maximum 10. After these extention, you should have enough time go through the 3rd and 4th rank, even if you capture Pokemon one by one. I got a grand 130000+ after I learned and tried the trick! ^^v

Extra--The boss Pokemon for each rank:
1st: Rhydon
2nd: Machoke
3rd: Muk
4th: Politoed
5th: Dragonite
6th: Flygon <--This one got better of me on my first 130000+ game
7th: Salamence
8th: Steelix
9th: Charizard
10th: ((No boss Pokemon)) <--Max Rank

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom