• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Red, Green, Blue and Yellow difficulties

Vegito

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Yes Generation 1 was short in story compared to Generation 2 to present. However I think they made up for this by making it very difficult and time consuming starting just after you beat Misty (Gym 2). I think this because if you don't buy a lot of potions, and even if you did you're going to have to start grinding hard after the second Gym in order to level all of your Pokemon up evenly (that is if you don't just use your starter to mow through everything). Anyway what are you guys thoughts?

Game Boy games were obviously short on storage space, so a high difficulty was a good way to extend the time you played the game. I, personally, never really had to grind through a playthrough of any Pokémon game, though. Including Red and Yellow.

I honestly never found the first gen games to be difficult. Maybe it's just me but I found that whenever the AI had an advantage and could use a potentially devastating move, they'd usually veto the idea in favor of something stupid like tail whip or barrier (the rival and Lance are particularly guilty of this).
Pokemon Stadium round 2, however....still can't beat it.

They are incredibly easy. My first playthrough of Yellow i pretty much breezed through it with a team of two pokemon: Pikachu and Poliwrath. I had no clue about type matchups, what exactly each move did and the stats each pokemon had, I never lost even once during the whole playthrough and i was 9 when i played it.

I blame the easiness on the AI: it's literally braindead. Oh, and getting an Alakazam was pretty much game over since Psychic was broken as hell in this gen.

I honestly never found the first gen games to be difficult. Maybe it's just me but I found that whenever the AI had an advantage and could use a potentially devastating move, they'd usually veto the idea in favor of something stupid like tail whip or barrier (the rival and Lance are particularly guilty of this).
Pokemon Stadium round 2, however....still can't beat it.

They are incredibly easy. My first playthrough of Yellow i pretty much breezed through it with a team of two pokemon: Pikachu and Poliwrath. I had no clue about type matchups, what exactly each move did and the stats each pokemon had, I never lost even once during the whole playthrough and i was 9 when i played it.

I blame the easiness on the AI: it's literally braindead. Oh, and getting an Alakazam was pretty much game over since Psychic was broken as hell in this gen.

The games aren't hard I understand that. The difficulty I speak of is the grinding. Get's annoying having to run back to the Pokemon center every 5-25 minutes.

The Generation I games overall weren't that hard, but yea, the grinding of levels from the time you're getting ready to battle Misty all the way until you reach Lavender Town by going through Rock Tunnel does take a lot out of you. The Rock Tunnel is especially the painful part because of having to use Flash every time you go in and then running into wild Pokémon and dozens of Trainers (particularly Hikers).

A somewhat similar story can be said for the time after you defeat Giovanni in the final Gym to when you face the Elite Four and Blue, also.

I always perceived Gen 2 to be way easier than Gen 1 so you could very well have a point here.

The only difficulty was the special stat, and even then If that was the case they were usually low defence, so get a fast physical sweeper. I am doing kaizo runs and I study my pokemon and the others. EDIT: I forgot this but you can kill one of lance's Dragonite with a Level 2 weedle because the AI is so stupid.

Didn't find it difficult at all. Then again I start off with Bulbasaur who's strong against 5/8 gyms and I usually have a Geodude to squish my Rival. Start off with Chamander on the other hand...

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom