• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon References in Other Franchises

King Fissamé

My Body Is Ready
Reaction score
1731a-blackbullet02.jpg

The image appears to be small, but doesn't the yellow spider look familiar. It looks like Galvantula. This is from Black Bullet.

Here is a video to take a closer look
[video=youtube;iV46bUDhBDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV46bUDhBDU[/video]

Re: Pokemon Reference in Another Anime

I don't wanna burst your bubble but that yellow spider does not even look like Galvantula. So in your logic, any yellow colored spider shown in animes could reference Galvantula. I'm sorry this doesn't make sense to me.
I think Pokemon has been mentioned a lot of time is the anime Lucky Star.

In order to stimulate more discussion, this thread has been converted to a general Pokemon References thread.

On the topic of the spider... I highly doubt that it's a deliberate reference any more than I think Kyubimon from Digimon is a reference to Ninetails. If an anime was going to reference Pokemon, they'd probably pick something a bit more iconic like Pikachu, Mewtwo, or one of the starters.

I'm surprised to see no mention of The Simpsons episode where the family visit Japan, and Bart, upon switching on a TV, observes, "Oh hey, it's that cartoon that gives you seizures."

The cartoon itself is actually about robots and in no way resembles Pokemon, but it's a blatant dig at Pokemon nonetheless. I haven't checked the dates, but this was clearly from a point where Pokemon itself had yet to catch on in the US, but the notoriety of the Porygon incident had made international headlines.

Off the top of my head, there's also a sketch in an episode of The Fast Show about Chris trying to steal Pokemon cards from a young boy. Apparently he's a fan of Vaporeon but dislikes Pikachu.

There's a few Pokemon references in The Simpsons. I remember a skit of Bill Crosby doing some kind of kids show and the kid mentions what he likes to play, I Googled the quote;
Cosby: What do you like to play?
Child: Pok-ee-mon!
Cosby: Pok-ee-mon?! With the Pok-ee and the mon and the thing where the guy comes out of the thing...

Pokemon Arceus was mentioned in House MD as well.Link

Dewey talks about Pokemon from Malcolm in the Middle sometimes. Iirc they have some plush toys in their bedroom.

In a parody episode of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, titled Toaru Kagaku no Railgun MMR: Much More Railgun, there's a sketch titled, Ruiko Saten's theory of the evolution of the Stripping Women.

In the Sketch, Kuroko Shirai and Kazari Uiharu eagerly listen to Ruiko Saten regarding the legend of the Stripping Woman, which is an Urban Legend about a woman who instantly removes her clothing without warning, in the City the series' takes place in. Here, she states that when the Stripping Woman consumes alcohol, she'll evolve into the Sandals Woman. The evolved woman will wander the streets as Sandals Woman with nothing on except her sandals, in Kouenji of all places. This shocks Kuroko. However, Ruiko says that when she senses people she'll turn back to normal and go home, disappointing all of them, especially Kuroko, who is apparently lewder than woman herself.

Kazari then compares it to a certain yellow rodent that loses its cuteness when it evolves. The rest of this sketch is pretty much them referencing the franchise.

If you still don't get the reference, then click on the spoiler tag.

The evolution sketch is a nod to the Pokémon franchise, with the entire bit of the Stripping Woman evolving into the Sandals Woman. Furthermore, Kuroko references the old catchphrase of the franchise "Gotta catch em all," Kazari referencing Pikachu and Raichu, as well as mimicking the former's vocalization, and Ruiko referring to three Pokémon games: Gold, Silver, and Pearl, which doubles as a reference to the BlueDia Laundry Detergents.

There's a small reference to Pokemon in the English dub of Hetalia: Axis Powers. The allies ambush Germany, Italy, and Japan at the beach and America comes out with "China, I choose you!"

"China, I choose you!" -America, Hetelia Axis Powers
There's a reason why I like the dub more than the original. :-/

Simpsons mentions it a few times and even showed it once

1. Even Stevens "Swap.Com" had Louis Stevens trying to get a Roaring Drycon card which references the Pokémon TCG stuff and maybe Yu-Gi-Oh if the cards were here in 2000(?).

Can't find a pic for my liking, but the description as it appeared:

• Having 75 blu points in the upper right corner.
  • Type and measurement: Fire breath Drycon. length 34'4". weight 2345lb.
  • Breath 25
  • FREE FOR ALL- Will slap you around until opponent can not stand it anymore and collapses in a puddle of girly tears.
  • FITS OF GLORY- Best describes this giants personality he enjoys short, cloudy days and walks through the mud swamps. He is a pices.
So yeah, any errors are left by intent.

You might say Disney was being cheap by not wanting to have a visual reference directly towards Pokémon (Cause you would be right.), but maybe Louis wanted to be the first person to do a show centered on Bootlegged products.

Beat to it by Phelous though.

2. From my check out of Captain America by Dan Jurgens Volume 1, Captain America Volume 3 #32 or going by the legacy numbering* #447.

pikachu_s_guest_appearance_in_captain_america__by_antiyonder_dgcgrj2-414w-2x.jpg

3. From Bill & Ted Are Doomed (Set between Bogus Journey and Face the Music) #1, Death is a confirmed Pokémon fan. Well Monster Horders.

20231029_153300.jpg

20231029_154041.jpg

*Legacy numbering is what issue a comic series would be if they didn't reset the count to #1 just to hype up the "First Issue!!!!".

In the TV show "The Good Place" the character Jason's most wanted thing was a Pikachu baloon. He received one but it popped. :cry:

In the Colombian cartoon from the early 2000s "Betty Toons" there is an episode called "Pokemondongo" (mondongo is a traditional soup) which explores collectionism and Pokemania with a lawyer-friendly replacement. It even has battles.

A reference that is interestingly coincidental is that The Flash Season 4 episode "Honey I Shrunk Team Flash" had Cisco while being mind read, was thinking of Bulbasaur whom he considered to be the cutest Pokémon.

Same year had Satoshi Becomes Small (Sun & Moon) premiering in Japan, then it's dub Dummy You Shrunk the Kids premiering in the US near the year's end.

Back
Top Bottom