• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

When would you like R/S/E Remakes

• Yes, this generation

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No, I'd prefer them in Gen 6

Votes: 152 37.1%
  • No, wait till Gen 7

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No, i dont want r/s/e remakes

Votes: 47 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I'd hope they would make contests more like the anime - where everyone uses two Pokemon and there are move combinations for various pretty effects. That seems to be the concept that most people really latched onto as appealing.

And the way they changed the moves round for super contests was annoying because it was largely luck based.
Actually, I disagree. You can tell what's likely going to happen by the second round at the latest, usually judging by who the opponents go after and what happens in the first round.

Dawg (a reviewer who post on neogaf) have mentioned a Hoenn remake hint that is present on XY a few days ago, but since there was an embargo, he couldn't tell us specifically what the hint was. Well, the embargo was lifted and he finally told us the hint:

Dawg said:
The thing I wanted to share earlier: there is a random person from Hoenn talking about his region. He said it's a nice region etc etc, but the final thing he said was very interesting: "You will see it in due time"

ibdlZOag6pgTHn.gif

If that's not a dead giveaway that RS is being remade, IDK what is. Can't wait.

So, I have never played any game from gen 3 before. Should I celebrate now? Is gen 3 good?

The region is one of the best designed regions of all time, there's plenty of diverse environments throughout the game, it's one of the least linear regions in the game, and there's plenty of places to explore. The only real problem with the region is that there's lots of open sea routes late in the game, and it can be very easily to get lost in those sections, but on the plus side, several of those routes are diveable and allow you to freely explore underwater environments, something no other region has ever allowed you to do (and yeah, you can Dive in Unova, but only for a timed ruins area, in Hoenn you can explore the seafloor, catch Pokemon in seaweed, resurface into otherwise inaccessible areas, etc.). And there's several neat sidequest features such as Contests and Secret Bases which were really fun.

What I love about gen 3 games are also the Contests (much better than DPPt contests imho) and the Battle Frontier. Seriously, when we get the RS remakes, they better put in the Battle Frontier because it was tough and yet so much fun. Also, RS contests in 3D graphics?

I have no doubt that the remakes will feature Emerald's Battle Frontier and several other Emerald features (if I had to guess, I'd say the games would probably feature both Magma and Aqua as bad guys, bring back Magma Hideout to Mt. Chimney, allow you to explore Mirage Tower, Desert Underpass, and keep the post game Safari Zone areas). In addition, I think they might want to add in new areas to post game because even Emerald's post game was somewhat light by modern standards, especially in terms of Pokemon catchable and explorable areas. Maybe the Battle Frontier can be part of some sort of post game archipelago as sort of a mix between Sevii Islands and the Battle Zone.

I actually forgot a sidequest - there's also an entire side quest series based on mountain biking with a lot of hidden areas based on how well you can use the bikes - there's one for speed and one for jumps. Man, I loved those bike puzzles.

Not sure that counts as a "sidequest" really, it's more of a bonus feature to the bike. Instead of getting one bike, you would get two (the Mach Bike, which is faster and is better for climbing up slopes and zipping across sandy floors, and the Acro Bike, which allows you to hop across platforms), and you would have to switch them according to what kinds of obstacles you need to get past. It's kind of like HMs.

Orre would be a perfect a post game region for R/S/E remakes, i mean even though it's from a spin-off game , i would like to see Game Freak's take that region and it's characters. Maybe they could reintroduce Shadow-Type Pokemon in to the series(minus the SE against every type part).

Absolutely not, cramming Orre into this game would ruin it.

I really hope they'd offer Super Contests instead of regular Contests. The latter were so shallow and the minigame itself was frustrating. The dancing and dress-up portions weren't exactly thrilling, but they were pretty fun.

Never really got much into Super Contests, but what I saw of it I didn't really like that much. I'd rather have 3rd gen style.

Maybe Pokemon-Amie could have some sort of benefit in Contests as well?

I really would like to see GameFreak's take on an Arizona-based region to bring Orre into cannon and in line in tone with the other regions one day, though.

I really would like to see GameFreak's take on an Arizona-based region to bring Orre into cannon and in line in tone with the other regions one day, though.

Orre is that Arizona-based region and I doubt they will make another. Maybe GF will give it (and other minor regions) an update in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Orre would be a perfect a post game region for R/S/E remakes, i mean even though it's from a spin-off game , i would like to see Game Freak's take that region and it's characters. Maybe they could reintroduce Shadow-Type Pokemon in to the series(minus the SE against every type part).

Cramming the Sevii Islands into FRLG didn't seem to ruin it.

Orre is that Arizona-based region and I doubt they will make another. Maybe GF will give it (and other minor regions) an update in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.
The point is that that wasn't GF's take, it was Genius Sonority.

The point is that that wasn't GF's take, it was Genius Sonority.

My mistake but its still unlikely. It has potential with environment changes I will admit that.

It'd be better if they did that with an Orre centered game, though, and they'd need to make a ton of changes to the region for that to work.

Cramming the Sevii Islands into FRLG didn't seem to ruin it.

The Sevii Islands was basically designed from the ground up to be a post game mini region, it's not the same thing. Orre was meant to be a standalone region and was designed completely differently from any main game, it wouldn't fit well into another game's post game. And they probably won't be bringing Shadow Pokemon back either, it's too dark for the main games. And all of that is even assuming that they don't run into the same size restrictions that GSC ran into, and I'm not 100% sure they won't.

As cool is it will be to see Hoenn with the updated graphics and stuff, I would like to point out that the reason that RGB and GS were remade was due to a lack of availability of the Pokemon of those generations in the newer games. Not to mention with the increased emphasis on availability of all Pokemon that these new Gen VI games seem to be providing, a remake wouldn't be necessary. Hell, a remake of RGB would be more likely AGAIN because of how much of a massive shift this generation is in a new direction, Game Freak would may be want to give Kanto that massive facelift. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

As cool is it will be to see Hoenn with the updated graphics and stuff, I would like to point out that the reason that RGB and GS were remade was due to a lack of availability of the Pokemon of those generations in the newer games.

Right, because it's not like many of the 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon weren't already available in DPPt.

Hell, a remake of RGB would be more likely AGAIN because of how much of a massive shift this generation is in a new direction, Game Freak would may be want to give Kanto that massive facelift. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Kanto was already in HGSS, so Hoenn needs one the most, being the only region that hasn't appeared on a DS or 3DS game. I do agree that Kanto needs massive facelift, but that's not top priority.

I can't wait to battle on top of Mt. Chimney and Sky Pillar. v_v

I will be seriously disappointed if we don't end up with SREmakes. see what i did there?

I just feel like the NPC saying "You will see it in due time" is basically an unofficial confirmation of it. No reason to put that in there if GF weren't planning on taking us back to Hoenn sometime soon.

My question is just whether it'll be the remakes next, or whether we'll get the second set of X/Y games first. I think we'll still be waiting a while either way as I'm pretty sure after X & Y are released we won't get another Pokemon game until 2015. After a new generation set is released, GF usually seems to wait almost two years before releasing another game.

I really hope they'd offer Super Contests instead of regular Contests. The latter were so shallow and the minigame itself was frustrating. The dancing and dress-up portions weren't exactly thrilling, but they were pretty fun.
God I hope not. They absolutely ruined contests for me with the dressing up. The original contests were easy enough to take part in without too much extra effort, whereas dancing wasn't something I cared at all about paying attention to. And the way they changed the moves round for super contests was annoying because it was largely luck based.

Super Contests made the final round too easy. In contests, you had to worry about your opponents actually reducing your score. In super contests, I had basically made a strategy that was guaranteed to win me Master Rank all the time....of course, not having had any contests I don't recall the strategy, but it was basically a four-move strategy that any Pokemon could pull off....and you didn't even need to match the contest type you were in.

If Generation 3 gets a remake in Generation 6, the new changes would be interesting to see. For one, Fairy-type is unleashed among the masses, making Jigglypuff, Mawile and Gardevoir among the few of them you will have around. New moves would change things up, now with new things to make it harder like Parabolic Charge from Wattson, Scald from the Water-type leader or Acrobatics by Winona. While not as important, it might make Steven a bit easier now that Ghost and Dark are good types to use, with Metagross now being weak to them.

Of course, Secret Bases are going to be easier to use, with Streetpass.

Thanks for reading.

God I hope not. They absolutely ruined contests for me with the dressing up. The original contests were easy enough to take part in without too much extra effort, whereas dancing wasn't something I cared at all about paying attention to. And the way they changed the moves round for super contests was annoying because it was largely luck based.

Super Contests made the final round too easy. In contests, you had to worry about your opponents actually reducing your score. In super contests, I had basically made a strategy that was guaranteed to win me Master Rank all the time....of course, not having had any contests I don't recall the strategy, but it was basically a four-move strategy that any Pokemon could pull off....and you didn't even need to match the contest type you were in.
Contests should basically be battles where you attack your enemy's Pokemon indirectly - like a rap battle. They sort of did that in G3 but lost a lot of that in G4. One of the things that might improve the system is making Contests strictly a battle between two trainers or 2v2. The four trainer 1v1v1v1 system was really chaotic and made it hard for the mode to have any depth.

One thing I think they could do is combine the rules for the Battle Arena with Pokemon Contests and give you points based on what moves your selected:

The Battle Arena (Japanese: バトルアリーナ Battle Arena) pits two Pokémon against one another for three rounds. If both Pokémon last all three rounds, they are rated on how they battled in three aspects, and the Pokémon with the higher score wins, and the losing Pokémon leaves battle. If they somehow tie, both Pokémon leave battle. A knockout results in an automatic win for the Pokémon that is still standing.

Pokémon are scored on their mind, skill, and body. This is much like the Fallarbor Town Battle Tent rules. The Pokémon with the better rating in each category scores two points, while a tie will award one point to each Pokémon.

Mind judges Pokémon on their offensive style. One point is awarded if an attack that deals damage is chosen for use (except Counter, Mirror Coat, and Bide, which do not award points, and Fake Out, which deducts one point), and one point is deducted if Protect, Detect, or Endure was chosen. All other moves do not award points. The Pokémon with the higher number of points wins the two points in the overall judgment.
Skill judges Pokémon on accuracy. One point is awarded if an attack lands successfully, while two points are deducted if it does not, unless it was caused by Protect, Detect, Endure, or Fake Out, in which no points are deducted. The Pokémon with the higher number of points wins the two points in the overall judgment.
Body judges the amount of HP remaining at the end of the third round compared to their amount at the start of the first. The Pokémon with the better ratio wins the two points in the overall judgment.

The Battle Arena is a series of single challenges, rather than a forced streak of some amount, and so after 28 wins and 56 wins, Arena Tycoon Greta appears to challenge the player. On her defeat, she awards the player with the Guts Symbol.

Haha, Sinnoh is said to be mentioned thrice before the second gym. I will crap myself laughing of D/P got remakes first XD

I mean Sinnoh was the first cold region, where the legends felt like gods, and our first woman champ. With X/Y mechanics, it'd be unstoppable!

Plus it was the first game that really tried to give characters deeper personalities.

Plus shiny creation trio...

Don't get me wrong, I want Hoenn remakes too, this is just psycho babbling XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom