• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

No, I definitely wouldn't want any part of the battle system to carry over. I just liked how the pacing wasn't as sluggish. I think because attack animations were shorter?
Shorter attack animations and I think text was able to play at the same time as animations instead of it having to pause for the whole animation to play them give the text? Might be misremembering there.

Huh, I've seen a lot of people who say SV should keep the PLA battle system so I figured it was generally liked over the old way.
Main thing I disliked about it is how often my pokemon got ohko'd by a pokemon switching in before they could even attack or be switched out.
I think people mainly want the seamless battle transitions to remain, not the other stuff. Most people I've seen had at least some criticisms of the battle system.

I wouldn't mind a few of PLA's move changes staying, like Iron Defense raising both def stats (not sure about the same part of Calm Mind/Bulk Up--I'm not sure how much those are used in competitive), and I definitely like Grit way more than the EV system but I'm skeptical it'll stay because it would really shake up competitive with everything becoming bulkier.

Main thing I disliked about it is how often my pokemon got ohko'd by a pokemon switching in before they could even attack or be
switched out.
One thing that took adjusting for me is that while EV training was optional and Stat Exp was mostly automatic, PLA seems to be designed around you getting a lot of grit and raising your parties stats; with good defense and HP investment I found even frailer stuff like Raichu could survive a revenge super-effective hit if they weren't damaged much or had a +Defense buff up.

My main issues with the noble fights was that the stages were too small so there wasn't really room to dodge like you were supposed to, and the main focus of the fight was just throwing food at them, using your team to fight was pretty pointless.
PLA in general had a lot of points where I didn't use my Pokémon at all, which is kind of weird.

I wonder how they're going to handle move learning. 1 to 4 was the HM/TM system, from gen 5 to 7 we had the infinite TMs, then gen 8 sort of went back to the old system but with new names (TMs and TRs were basically HMs an TMs without permanence), then PLA had everything with a move tutor paid in normal money instead of a special currency who gets more options as you advance.

What I’d really like to be translated from PLA to SV (or some version of it. It’s possible many features and changes in PLA were ‘test runs’ for SV). Is the levelling system.

Unless they finally add some toggles or optional limitations to help with the over leveling issue, which could be nightmarish in an open world (it was already big in SwSh), the way the base stats are handled in PLA, with a huge spike at the lowest level, compared to the normal system, and slow gains in stats afterwards (again, compared to the normal system), could help a lot with overlevelling, As the difference of 10, or more, levels between two Pokémon isn’t nearly as big as it normally.

Shorter attack animations and I think text was able to play at the same time as animations instead of it having to pause for the whole animation to play them give the text? Might be misremembering there.
I think people mainly want the seamless battle transitions to remain, not the other stuff. Most people I've seen had at least some criticisms of the battle system.
These are the parts of PLA’s battle system that I think need to carry over to the main series for several reasons (mainly to reduce tedium, which is part of the reason the permanent Exp. Share supposedly became a thing).

As for status conditions, I think that Drowsy should lead into Sleep as different stages of the same status effect, maybe with inflicting Drowsy on the same Pokémon having them completely fall asleep (and being too drowsy to move having a ⅓ chance of leading into sleep as well). It would also be much appreciated by a big chunk of the community for Frostbite to replace Freeze. At the very least, Frostbite (or something like it) should be kept regardless of Freeze returning so we have a Special Attack lowering counterpart to Burn in the sake of fairness.

I for one would rather have EVs and their hard cap of 510 over the unrestricted chaos of ELs, thank you very much. I do not want to watch stat investment mechanics in the main series regress to literal Gen 1-2 standards solely for the sake of keeping a more convenient system; that's a sacrifice too far for me.

If GF wants to get my money while keeping ELs, they will set a similar hard cap on how much you can add by grits. It is not negotiable. I will not accept an unaltered EL system if ELs become the norm.
A 20 "trained" EL cap sounds fair enough since two maxed stats is the long-running standard, and meanwhile, setting any cap allows IVs to keep their existing role since a 31IV in LA (yes, IVs are in the game despite nobody mentioning this) is an automatic EL3, freeing up valuable room to put your limited ELs on another stat.

An example spread with perfect IVs being this:
HP: EL3
Attack: EL10 (+7 trained ELs)
Defence: EL6 (+3 trained ELs)
Sp. Atk: EL3
Sp. Def: EL6 (+3 trained ELs)
Speed: EL10 (+7 trained ELs)

Alternatively, you could throw the six leftover ELs from those defences into Sp. Atk to almost max this stat too and create a speedy glass cannon mixed attacker, or into HP for a bulky physical attacker with speed, or even create a full stall build with 9 HP ELs and 10 in both defences at the cost of limited offences and speed. I think this 20 cap of trained ELs brings in the best of both systems, revitalizing the old and sufficiently restraining the new.

7, 7, 6, that's the ideal future.

I liked EV's more from a main game non competitive standpoint, lead to my Pokemon usually having more balanced stats unlike EL where I was more likely to focus on a few stats and ignore the rest

Here’s the bigger crisis: out of all the weird ass comics Pokemon has, why is ReBurst one of the most talked about ones that aren’t Adventures. This is comming from someone who owns a library of all sorts of weird ass comics and feel like most of them would make for great posts/discussions/youtube videos. So why ReBurst? Is it because it’s seen as extra-weird to westerners, or because it was just lucky enough to be relevant during the same time the internet was?

It's because people use it to argue in favor of a trainer-pokemon fusion gimmick every new generation. I doubt most of the people who mention it have even read it, just found it exists by googling or browsing the Bulbapedia.
That and also I fear one of the reasons the fandom won't let it die has to do with some weird niche fetish. I mean this is the internet after all and there's the sexy purrloin fusion lady.

I for one would rather have EVs and their hard cap of 510 over the unrestricted chaos of ELs, thank you very much. I do not want to watch stat investment mechanics in the main series regress to literal Gen 1-2 standards solely for the sake of keeping a more convenient system; that's a sacrifice too far for me.

If GF wants to get my money while keeping ELs, they will set a similar hard cap on how much you can add by grits. It is not negotiable. I will not accept an unaltered EL system if ELs become the norm.
A 20 "trained" EL cap sounds fair enough since two maxed stats is the long-running standard, and meanwhile, setting any cap allows IVs to keep their existing role since a 31IV in LA (yes, IVs are in the game despite nobody mentioning this) is an automatic EL3, freeing up valuable room to put your limited ELs on another stat.

An example spread with perfect IVs being this:
HP: EL3
Attack: EL10 (+7 trained ELs)
Defence: EL6 (+3 trained ELs)
Sp. Atk: EL3
Sp. Def: EL6 (+3 trained ELs)
Speed: EL10 (+7 trained ELs)

Alternatively, you could throw the six leftover ELs from those defences into Sp. Atk to almost max this stat too and create a speedy glass cannon mixed attacker, or into HP for a bulky physical attacker with speed, or even create a full stall build with 9 HP ELs and 10 in both defences at the cost of limited offences and speed. I think this 20 cap of trained ELs brings in the best of both systems, revitalizing the old and sufficiently restraining the new.

7, 7, 6, that's the ideal future.
If this is in response to my post about the levelling system, I wasn’t talking about ELs vs EVs, but the way stats are raised through normal levelling, without EVs or ELs being involved.

In PLA, Pokèmon start off with much higher stats then in other Pokémon games (still keeping the ratio based on their base stats), but end up only slightly higher at level 100 (if I recall correctly) of Pokemon’s stats at level 100 in other games (with no EVs). That’s because the stats raise a lot less compared to the previous games. It makes a different of 10-20 levels much less important then before.

This is completely separated to EVs and ELs, as they can be applied on either kind of levelling curve. And I’d agree with you in not wanting back ELs, at least, not how they worked in PLA.

And I have to bet on something, I’d say we’ll get back EVs. I don’t think they’d do something on that part of the game, that’d alter the competitive scene much more then any new gimmick.

The fact that fuecoco looks like a pepper and quaxly has wax in its English and Japanese names leads me to believe that either the gimmick will have to do with types, or there is specifically weird type stuff going on with the starters.

It's likely to be something abstract and having to do with the region's theme.

"Junichi Masuda has stated that Hoenn's name signifies "abundant relations" (豊縁 hōen), as a common theme in this region is the relationships forged between Pokémon and people."

"Junichi Masuda has stated that Sinnoh's name means "mysterious and profound" (神奥),[3] possibly in reference to the various myths of the region."

"Unova's Japanese name, イッシュ Isshu, is derived from the Japanese word for "one variety", 一種 isshu, or 1種類 isshurui. According to the game director Masuda, this is to express that although the region is diverse in species and race, they are all the same as living creatures when seen from a distance."

(Kalos) "According to Junichi Masuda, the name comes from the Greek word κάλλος, meaning beauty."

And we don't have anything official for Galar yet, but Bulbapedia suggests-
"Galar may have been derived from gallant, gala (a special occasion), or Galahad. It may also come from an anagram of San-Graal, the French name of the Holy Grail. Another possible etymology may be galar, Irish and Scottish Gaelic for "disease," in reference to either Dynamax and Eternatus or one of Britain's nicknames, Blighty."

Edit: I forgot Alola. XD

"According to Shigeru Ohmori, the name "Alola" is meant to incorporate a meaning of a land that overflows with life force and supports various forms of life. The name may also come from ola, Hawaiian for "life", and the traditional Hawaiian word aloha, which, beyond its use as a greeting, also signifies a respect and love for the shared life force between all. This etymology is likely also shared by the Alolan greeting "Alola"."
I always thought Galar was gallant + valor.

View attachment 156348
Tengo mucha curiosidad por saber cuál será el tamaño de la región. Asumiendo que todo en esta captura de pantalla es un espacio genuino y jugable, dado que S/V supuestamente es adecuado en todo el mundo, en términos de espacio de viaje, esta captura de pantalla solo muestra aproximadamente la mitad del tamaño de las regiones anteriores en una sola masa de tierra. Las montañas en la parte de atrás parecen estar bloqueando otra área importante. Así que mi especulación sigue cualquiera de estos escenarios

-Tal vez es como PLA y tenemos una sola ciudad central principal/área de pueblo (la que se muestra en la imagen), mientras que la mayoría del mapa son extensiones salvajes (no preferiría esto. Una sola ciudad importante en un juego de pokemon no es vale la pena el intercambio de varios más pequeños, cada uno con su propia estética y propósito únicos

-Tal vez tengamos como 4 o 5 áreas como esta, divididas por esas masas montañosas, cada una con una especie de ciudad "central".

Si esta es la escala del mundo que buscan, es difícil para mí imaginar el formato clásico de 8 ciudades, 8 gimnasios, aunque me encantaría estar aquí.
Those mountains are probably Los Pirineos, so it's the end of the map
View attachment 156348
Tengo mucha curiosidad por saber cuál será el tamaño de la región. Asumiendo que todo en esta captura de pantalla es un espacio genuino y jugable, dado que S/V supuestamente es adecuado en todo el mundo, en términos de espacio de viaje, esta captura de pantalla solo muestra aproximadamente la mitad del tamaño de las regiones anteriores en una sola masa de tierra. Las montañas en la parte de atrás parecen estar bloqueando otra área importante. Así que mi especulación sigue cualquiera de estos escenarios

-Tal vez es como PLA y tenemos una sola ciudad central principal/área de pueblo (la que se muestra en la imagen), mientras que la mayoría del mapa son extensiones salvajes (no preferiría esto. Una sola ciudad importante en un juego de pokemon no es vale la pena el intercambio de varios más pequeños, cada uno con su propia estética y propósito únicos

-Tal vez tengamos como 4 o 5 áreas como esta, divididas por esas masas montañosas, cada una con una especie de ciudad "central".

Si esta es la escala del mundo que buscan, es difícil para mí imaginar el formato clásico de 8 ciudades, 8 gimnasios, aunque me encantaría estar aquí.
Those mountains are probably Los Pirineos, so it's the end of the map.

I know this is very random but I've been thinking about it on and off so I want to bring it up: what if a "corrected" version of the Sprigatito is released whenever we get our second trailer or when the website updates with more info? In other words, the eyes on Sprigatito are properly aligned even when the art is flipped. The eyes will obviously be aligned in both the model and official merchandise and it probably wouldn't take too much extra work to fix that little mistake. Even if the art has already been printed on physical merchandise, they could still put the updated artwork on later merchandise.

I think ELs are here to stay, it's just far more accessible and simpler than EVs and Game Freak cares about accessibility over everything else. I don't think the style system and multiple turns thing is returning though because that's way too broken. Changes to stats and status conditions seem like a maybe.

I think ELs are here to stay, it's just far more accessible and simpler than EVs and Game Freak cares about accessibility over everything else. I don't think the style system and multiple turns thing is returning though because that's way too broken. Changes to stats and status conditions seem like a maybe.
I dunno, I could see the turn system staying but maybe getting reworked. Legends wasn't a great implementation for it.

I dunno, I could see the turn system staying but maybe getting reworked. Legends wasn't a great implementation for it.

I don't think they'll be able to come up with a good solution in a year, if they rush a fix it could end up doing more harm than good. Best to just save it for the game after SV (the next Legends game or whatever's next). If they want to continue with it they should take the extra 2 years or so to give it some good thought.

They cared about accessibility for a long time, and they never changed how EVs worked.

I'm not really that confident in ELs returning. As they worked in PLA, it'll be a massive change to the competitive scene, and I'm not sure even a scaled down version would work well enough. And the main use of EVs or ELs, in a traditional Pokèmon game, are mainly reserved for the competitive, not the SP experience.

The problem with EVs was never on how they worked, but on the accesibility of the informations and ways to gain/remove them, which can be easily down, if GF would have the same mindset they used for ELs.

Back
Top Bottom