• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

I don't think they'll be able to come up with a good solution in a year, if they rush a fix it could end up doing more harm than good. Best to just save it for the game after SV (the next Legends game or whatever's next). If they want to continue with it they should take the extra 2 years or so to give it some good thought.
It depends on how we view PLA, I think.
If they started working on 'fixing' the turn system from PLA after the latter's release, then yes, I don't think they'd nearly have enough time. But I don't think that this is necessarily how they're approaching the situation.

To me, it seems like PLA is a sort of in-between test version born as they already worked on SV, implementing limited things from SV. It's possible that some features like the turn based system of PLA were hastily implemented from a system they were already working on with SV, and that they continued to test while working on SV, so they wouldn't have tried to 'fix' it in the last few months.

That said, I don't think it's definitely sure that they want to change the traditional system their traditional games. Something PLA didn't have to deal with is the competitive, and I'm not sure how well this kind of system would work with that, of it they're truly of the mindset of overhauling it either way.

I love ELs so much more than EVs and especially IVs. I don't have to look up a calculator to figure out IVs, and I don't have to keep track of EV numbers myself. Nor do I have to worry about gaining the 'correct' evs by battling the correct pokemon. I just get the required items and shove them in my pokemon's mouth and BOOM they can level up. It's neat, easy to understand and work with, and simple.

I'd just prefer that the levels didn't become a requirement to progress. While grinding to get pokemon to evolve for the pokedex I'd wonder why higher level pokemon were struggling against pokemon they were super effective against when I didn't have this problem before. I realized that it was because I wasn't raising ELs of these pokemon since I was going to be releasing them once I evolved them. Like if someone wants to go to the effort of levelling everything up then they can and basically steamroll everything if they want. But I shouldn't be suffering in random battles against wild pokemon because I haven't fed rocks and dirt to a pokemon yet.

...Still prefer them to the EVs and IVs though. Loathe those features SO HARD. They're just another hurdle for players who don't care about the competitive side of pokemon to have to deal with if they wanna do something besides play the regular game. Since breeding the perfect IV mon and EV training it is practically required for the stupid Battle Facilities too. |: Especially when those are designed to cheat teams that specifically kick your chosen set of mons' asses.

I love ELs so much more than EVs and especially IVs. I don't have to look up a calculator to figure out IVs, and I don't have to keep track of EV numbers myself. Nor do I have to worry about gaining the 'correct' evs by battling the correct pokemon. I just get the required items and shove them in my pokemon's mouth and BOOM they can level up. It's neat, easy to understand and work with, and simple.

I'd just prefer that the levels didn't become a requirement to progress. While grinding to get pokemon to evolve for the pokedex I'd wonder why higher level pokemon were struggling against pokemon they were super effective against when I didn't have this problem before. I realized that it was because I wasn't raising ELs of these pokemon since I was going to be releasing them once I evolved them. Like if someone wants to go to the effort of levelling everything up then they can and basically steamroll everything if they want. But I shouldn't be suffering in random battles against wild pokemon because I haven't fed rocks and dirt to a pokemon yet.

...Still prefer them to the EVs and IVs though. Loathe those features SO HARD. They're just another hurdle for players who don't care about the competitive side of pokemon to have to deal with if they wanna do something besides play the regular game. Since breeding the perfect IV mon and EV training it is practically required for the stupid Battle Facilities too. |: Especially when those are designed to cheat teams that specifically kick your chosen set of mons' asses.
The fact that PLA kept IVs, which are harder to track then EVs, it’s another sign, to me, that EVs are unlikely to go away in SV.

You issue with ELs and how they were required to help in wild battles wasn’t actually only due to ELs, though, but the new levelling curve in the game. The difference between higher and lower level-leveled Pokémon in PLA was a lot less, compared to other games. And I think it’s something that might be needed in a fully open world game like SV.

You’re right that ELs are easier to track down then IVs and EVs, but that’s because GF doesn’t allow us to track the latter two. EVs expecially, it wouldn’t take that much to make the feather easily controllable by the player (even now, with stat-reducing berries, it’s not as hard as it once was to manipulate them). It doesn’t change the fact that they’re much better then ELs for the competitive scene.

Unless they separate the SP from the competitive, I don’t see the ELs returning in SV, and definitely not in the way they worked in PLA.

They cared about accessibility for a long time, and they never changed how EVs worked.

They never changed a lot of things until LA, they took more liberties in that game because it was an experimental title.

The problem with EVs was never on how they worked, but on the accesibility of the informations and ways to gain/remove them, which can be easily down, if GF would have the same mindset they used for ELs.

That's part of it, but not the only problem. Even if you know about EVs, it's still somewhat difficult to raise them because you either have to defeat specific Pokemon or engage in specific features to raise them. Whereas with ELs all you have to do is grind for Grit items, which are very common in LA. Making EVs visible won't solve the problem, they have to make EVs easier to raise.

It depends on how we view PLA, I think.
If they started working on 'fixing' the turn system from PLA after the latter's release, then yes, I don't think they'd nearly have enough time. But I don't think that this is necessarily how they're approaching the situation.

To me, it seems like PLA is a sort of in-between test version born as they already worked on SV, implementing limited things from SV. It's possible that some features like the turn based system of PLA were hastily implemented from a system they were already working on with SV, and that they continued to test while working on SV, so they wouldn't have tried to 'fix' it in the last few months.

That said, I don't think it's definitely sure that they want to change the traditional system their traditional games. Something PLA didn't have to deal with is the competitive, and I'm not sure how well this kind of system would work with that, of it they're truly of the mindset of overhauling it either way.

They wouldn't have known what to fix until LA released though, so they probably didn't do any preemptive tweaking beforehand.

The fact that PLA kept IVs, which are harder to track then EVs, it’s another sign, to me, that EVs are unlikely to go away in SV.

They didn't really "keep" IVs as much as they adapted them to the EL system. A Pokemon can still be maxed out to the same EL level regardless of their "IVs", that's just a starting EL level.

You issue with ELs and how they were required to help in wild battles wasn’t actually only due to ELs, though, but the new levelling curve in the game. The difference between higher and lower level-leveled Pokémon in PLA was a lot less, compared to other games. And I think it’s something that might be needed in a fully open world game like SV.

But... if it's needed for a fully open world game like SV, that's good reason to keep ELs.

They never changed a lot of things until LA, they took more liberties in that game because it was an experimental title.

That's part of it, but not the only problem. Even if you know about EVs, it's still somewhat difficult to raise them because you either have to defeat specific Pokemon or engage in specific features to raise them. Whereas with ELs all you have to do is grind for Grit items, which are very common in LA. Making EVs visible won't solve the problem, they have to make EVs easier to raise.

They wouldn't have known what to fix until LA released though, so they probably didn't do any preemptive tweaking beforehand.

They didn't really "keep" IVs as much as they adapted them to the EL system. A Pokemon can still be maxed out to the same EL level regardless of their "IVs", that's just a starting EL level.

But... if it's needed for a fully open world game like SV, that's good reason to keep ELs.
They can simply adapt the grits/their equivalent in SV to the EVs. As well as making it easier, or more accessible to remove the undesired EVs.

Possibly, but they could’ve just released a prototype of the new turn/battle system while continuing to work on it. Either way, I don’t think it’ll be back in SV.

The levelling curve is needed for an open world game like SV; it doesn’t mean that ELs are equally needed, or that their job can’t be done by EVs as well. ELs could still work with the previous levelling curve, and EVs can work with the PLA’s one.

In the end, PLA was a game fully focused on the single player, so things could have been changed from the traditional system and trying different things. SV has to keep in mind the competitive, and things like the ELs and the new turn battle system would work badly with it.

Well eggs HAVE to come back. How else will we get pokemon that require breeding to be obtained? Well I guess they COULD just make them all avaliable in the wild from here on I guess...

But dropping THE big gimmick for the second generation to Pokemon seems like a dumb as hell idea. Especially since that's how some people get their shinies!! With mega forms and z moves and dynamax they were the new hotness and only really relevant for a bit after they came out and were strictly battle gimmicks but eggs have been around for way too long for them to get rid of them now. I imagine it'd get bashed not s hard but to a similar degree as removing the national dex and stuff was.

Just a random thought, I wonder if this game will have entire sections of the map that its totally possible to beat the entire game without ever stepping foot in unless you're doing all the quests. Every Open World game I can think of has that, Skyrim has basically the entire left side of the map, BOTW has that area of the map below the section where the Zora live and the Great Plateu, Ect. (Those were the first two that came to mind for some reason)

I hope so! I love when they put more into a game that you can experience beyond just following the plot beats. Means there's good sidequests or at the very least something neat to find over there!

Like how Articuno and Zapdos were found in areas you never had to visit in Red and Blue. No one told us they were there. But when we found them we were like "HOLY CRAP LEGENDARY!"

That's how you do good non-plot legendaries. You can hint at their existence (in FR/LG at least there's a trainer on one of the routes between Fuchsia and Lavender Town I think that mentions the legendary birds and calls them the winged mirages or something) at little bit and just hide them away like, you know, LEGENDS. THe box legendaries of course can't be like this since Gamefreak gotta write a plot around SOME kind of living macguffin but the extra legendaries can be like this.

Just a random thought, I wonder if this game will have entire sections of the map that its totally possible to beat the entire game without ever stepping foot in unless you're doing all the quests. Every Open World game I can think of has that, Skyrim has basically the entire left side of the map, BOTW has that area of the map below the section where the Zora live and the Great Plateu, Ect. (Those were the first two that came to mind for some reason)
Technically this is the case in Legends Arceus as well. If you only follow the markers for the story quests then you can ignore parts of the map in each area. I'm sure that might be the case with Scarlet and Violet as well since it's an actual open world game.

Technically this is the case in Legends Arceus as well. If you only follow the markers for the story quests then you can ignore parts of the map in each area. I'm sure that might be the case with Scarlet and Violet as well since it's an actual open world game.
True but that also is less extreme than what I was thinking, sure you can miss out on small caves or islands but you can't miss out on like, an entire one of the maps.

Yeah a good texture can do a world of difference for the same model.

Honestly I don't see a point in making new models at this point unless its to make all pokemon more to scale to one another. Technology at this point has gotten so good that with cartoony creatures and characters there's not too much more that's needed to make them look amazing.

I know it very likely doesn't mean anything, but I can't shake this feeling I have about the eevee clips the Official Pokemon Channel has been posting lately. They've posted 6 of them in the past three weeks. Idk it probably isn't building to anything... but what if?
@Oriden isn't there something speculated to go on with Eevee for SV?

@Oriden isn't there something speculated to go on with Eevee for SV?
Not particularly? Other than people wanting every sign of Eevee to be a hint at a new evolution, as usual.

Leak-wise, the only concrete thing we have is indication that it may or may not even be in the game. XD Which is quite meaningless enough that I think it's okay to mention it here.

The wait for SV news is really starting to become tiresome. It feels like they've been waiting a lot longer than usual for news in the last few years compared to XY and SuMo.
It actually isn't that bad, yet, with June almost around the corner. I just hope the marketing cycle shows more Pokémon than SwSh's.

Back
Top Bottom